Joe Douglas should part with coveted draft capital to get Deshaun Watson

NYJ1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wow, that’s a lot. Let’s review where we’d be if we spent that historic amount on a trade for Watson.

2021: 

~$70 million in cap space

Second round pick (return on Darnold trade)

Two thirds

Two fourths

A fifth and a sixth

2022:

~$100 mil in cap space

Second rounder

Third rounder

Two Fives, three sixes

Forgetting your fan fiction regarding Watson scheming to burn three years of his career as a stepping stone to play for the Patriots in 2025 for a 72 year-old Bill Belichick, I think the Jets will be ok in terms of putting a roster around him

Did you deduct Watson deal in these numbers ? And for anyone wondering about why we heavily focus on defense ...

• Offense: $78,494,507
  • Defense: $37,106,540
  • Special: $3,639,275

Just sayin.

1 hour ago, MindOverMatter said:

Going from the 30-32nd best QB in Sam, to a top 5 QB in Watson is literally the most important upgrade you can make to a roster. This team isn't as hopeless as you may think.

The cap space after Watson will be fine, and honestly it will be a bargain once new QB contracts start to surface. Trading Darnold reloads some of the lost picks and you know damn well JD will look to trade back and acquire even more picks. But again, the most important upgrade will be bottom 3 QB to top 5.

And Houston's roster is 100% worse than the Jets.

There is an old saying in the NFL, teams dont get better, they get better QB play.

19 minutes ago, fltflo said:

My question is ,where was all this Watson love when we could have drafted him in the first place ?

All I heard was how he was never going to be a good NFL QB or a strong pocket passer. This by many here who are willing to sell the farm to get him now.

MacCagnan! 

Some on this board were actively pushing for him or Mahomes! MacDaddy didn’t understand QB was most important position 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

No offense, but have a sense of humor.  I was just kidding.

Of course the team will be better with Watson, I think everyone understands that, but the cost to acquire him will make it very difficult to build a Super Bowl contending team around him in that 3 year window.  

Will the team this year be better with Watson than Wilson? most certainly...

But over the next 3, 4, 5 years I think as those picks develop - and the QB matures, we'll be in a much better position long term.

No, it's quite clear not everyone understands that hence why I thought you were serious.

I wholeheartedly disagree it will be difficult to build around him and this has been strongly put to rest many times,  17 picks, 10 in the top 100 (probably 11 after trading Sam) over the next 2 seasons, 2nd most cap space in the league.  Even if you take 3 away, 8 picks in the top 100 over the next 2 seasons.  @bla bla bla did an incredible job of showing us that even with paying an extra premium for Watson, the Jets could easily build a contender over the next 2 years with the rest of their assets. 

And here's the deal homey, in order for the Jets to become competitively quickly, it will be required for JD to hit on 2nd and 3rd and some later round picks. 

So to summarize, now matter what JD does, he needs to hit on the picks that would essentially be the building blocks around Watson.  The only thing that changes, is that you have secured a top 3 QB in the NFL for the next 15 years rather then gambling on a draft pick.

It's not even trivial.  It's legit, a no brainer. 

• Upvote 2

sh*ts and giggles, hypothetical

The Jets trade 4, 1st round picks (I dont think they will need too but lets go there), so basically, they dont have a 1st round pick the next 2 season but, they have Watson.  Because of their cap space they can still go out and sign; Robinson, Thuney, plus some but wont go there because **** it.

At 34, 66 and 87 the Jets land; Travis Etienne, Asante Samuel Jr. and Creed Humphry.  I love some later round prospects too but again, I wont even go there because **** it.

The Jets offense is now.

QB - Watson

RB - Etienne, Perrine, Johnson, Adams

WR - Robinson, Mims, Crowder, 

OL - Becton-Lewis-Humphrey-Thuney-Fant

I will fight you right now if you're telling me the Jets arent fun as hell to watch, scoring points, while Saleh installs his D and then goes all out next year to make it work.  I will FIGHT YOU!!!!!!!!! if you tell me we're not competing in 2022.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Well, you have made racially charged statements against Wilson, so not sure why that’s so funny. Not sure why owner of the site allows your racist bs. And just so you know, I’m a black man.

Sir, I am the manager.

17 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

MacCagnan! 

Some on this board were actively pushing for him or Mahomes! MacDaddy didn’t understand QB was most important position 

And when Macc finally realized we had to get a QB he traded up for the wrong one.  It cost us three picks to avoid Allen.  Ugh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

Yeah, but Fidelio, he has absolutely no leverage to renegotiate. I doubt after shooting his way out of Texas, he'd then what, hold out for more money?

I would think that any team trading for him would know that he wouldn't do that.

Also, teams are usually very good at not letting their franchise QB's go in free agency. If he's here, odds are he's here for as long as we want him.

His leverage is he leaves after 3 years.  Then we're out 4 round picks for three years of a QB - that's unlikely to win anything substantial with this roster as is.   If he goes into the 3rd season without an extension he's going to hit the FA.  it's a risk the Jets will not be able to make.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

His leverage is he leaves after 3 years.  Then we're out 4 round picks for three years of a QB - that's unlikely to win anything substantial with this roster as is.   If he goes into the 3rd season without an extension he's going to hit the FA.  it's a risk the Jets will not be able to make.

Fidelio, you can say that about any of the top QB's in football, yet teams ALWAYS hang on to their franchise QB's. They almost never go elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Well, you have made racially charged statements against Wilson, so not sure why that’s so funny. Not sure why owner of the site allows your racist bs. And just so you know, I’m a black man.

3F....... When I first joined the board in 2004/5 I took everything to heart and challenged everyone that gave me sh!+. It took about 6 months to understand the relationships, inside jokes class clowns and outright miserable Jet fans. 

Your 5 weeks into things here. Relax, post content and let it roll off your back. Before you know it there will be several posters you jive with, a few you put on ignore.

Welcome to the board and I look forward to your posts.

All Good 0Gif GIF by memecandy

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

No, it's quite clear not everyone understands that hence why I thought you were serious.

I wholeheartedly disagree it will be difficult to build around him and this has been strongly put to rest many times,  17 picks, 10 in the top 100 (probably 11 after trading Sam) over the next 2 seasons, 2nd most cap space in the league.  Even if you take 3 away, 8 picks in the top 100 over the next 2 seasons.  @bla bla bla did an incredible job of showing us that even with paying an extra premium for Watson, the Jets could easily build a contender over the next 2 years with the rest of their assets. 

And here's the deal homey, in order for the Jets to become competitively quickly, it will be required for JD to hit on 2nd and 3rd and some later round picks. 

So to summarize, now matter what JD does, he needs to hit on the picks that would essentially be the building blocks around Watson.  The only thing that changes, is that you have secured a top 3 QB in the NFL for the next 15 years rather then gambling on a draft pick.

It's not even trivial.  It's legit, a no brainer. 

I've stated I would be all in on Watson if there teams wasn't in such bad shape.

From my perspective you seem to be undervaluing what 4 first round picks are (3 extra if you assume the Jets take a QB at 2)

If JD JUST hits on the 3 first rounders and doesn't get much out the 2nd and 3rds...and the cap space..This team will VERY quickly become competitive.  You need a handful in "impact players" that are pretty hard to find outside the first round.  Yo

Adding 3 more studs to Becton and Williams, this team is all of a sudden very competitive.

I think ultimately though, I'm also high on Wilson - while you seem convinced he's a bust -

So if I'm looking at it from your perspective, giving away 4 first rounders is a better scenario that drafting a bust at 2. If I had no faith in Wilson I would probably be seeing it your way too.  

5 minutes ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

Fidelio, you can say that about any of the top QB's in football, yet teams ALWAYS hang on to their franchise QB's. They almost never go elsewhere.

How are we even having this discussion then?

But maybe you're right, Watson isn't the kind of guy to force his way off a team.

13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

3F....... When I first joined the board in 2004/5 I took everything to heart and challenged everyone that gave me sh!+. It took about 6 months to understand the relationships, inside jokes class clowns and outright miserable Jet fans. 

Your 5 weeks into things here. Relax, post content and let it roll off your back. Before you know it there will be several posters you jive with, a few you put on ignore.

Welcome to the board and I look forward to your posts.

All Good 0Gif GIF by memecandy

Not a big deal, but I come to boards like this as an escape from all the Bs going on in the real world. Seeing that Tom Shane guy calling a white QB pasty is a microcosm of society today. And he’s made several comments like that in my few weeks here. Maybe it’s. Inside joke, but as a black man I don’t find it funny