mims year two

kmnj

what do you expect out of him year two ? 

His year one was pretty much stephen hill like year one but hill had 3tds while mims had none

will mims become a stud wr or will he crash and burn next to the likes of stephen hill and Lam Jones?

• Thumb Down 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Mims had a nice rookie year even if his numbers didn’t show it. Here he is at the bottom of the screen beating his guy for which should be an easy 80 yard touchdown. Of course Sam doesn’t see him/pull the trigger. He will do well with a competent QB/OC 

45 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This would be a pretty big disappointment IMO.

Mims has a skill set to be a true #1 WR in the league.  Size, speed and ability to make contested catches.  I dont see him suddenly vaulting into the top 10 in the league, but I can see him at 70 1000 and 6-8 TDs.  That would be a great second season.

I disagree on the notion that it's breakout production or bust. I know the team wishes the best from all their draftees but I doubt JD passed on Mims the first time with the mind set that he was passing up on a WR1 and was going to land him later on in the draft.

So in 14 games (I project him to miss 3), 750 yards isn't too bad. An 1,000 yard season is setting him up for failure.

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

His year one was pretty much stephen hill like year one but hill had 3tds while mims had none

will mims become a stud wr or will he crash and burn next to the likes of stephen hill and Lam Jones?

Hard to compare since Hill had a better QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

I think it will depend on who is playing opposite him in the starting alignment. 

Parcells once said, "you cannot compromise your prototypes".  Last year, we did just that.  Mims can play either the Z or X.  We need a player who is a good fit for the Z or X if Mims is to thrive.  Crowder is a slot guy. 

As for Hill.  He was a poor player in college and was overdrafted based on his size and speed combination.  Mims and Hill are totally different players.  Mims is a hands catcher.  If memory serves, Hill scored two of his TDs in the first game and was a non-factor after that.  Mims missed most of the season and was playing on a high ankle sprain when he was in the game.  They take a long time to heal.  He will be just fine.

I think the sky is the limit for Mims but he cannot do it alone. 

I completely agree. By the way, it's not even that Hill was a bad college player, he just came from GTech where they ran a triple option and Hill was mainly used as a blocker and deep threat in a run heavy offense. But the comparison to Mims is off. 

I have had Marshall Jr. targeted for the Jets at Seattle's pick (23). I think he would be the perfect fit at the X across from Mims, who I think is a natural Z with his deep speed and receiving skillset. You sign a versatile WR like C. Samuel in FA and with Crowder in the slot the Jets have plenty of weapons to draw attention away from Mims no matter who's throwing the ball. 

5 hours ago, kmnj said:

Will I die faster if I stab myself in the neck with an ice pick or a screwdriver? Answer: a pencil. Go lead poisoning.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ljr said:

Choosing Hill for the comparison is , I’m sure by design, inflammatory

As for his 2021 #’s there are too many variables still in play

Who will be his qb to start
Who will be his #1 wr
Will he be on the field for 17 games? ... simply adding the 17th game should add a bit from what we’re used to

I’ll go middle of the road

3 td’s 50 catches 550 yards

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I kind of feel like that line 50 for 550 would be a let down. I am hoping for better and I think I expecting more too. I think we will see him as the wr 2. Behing someone brought in in FA. So I think we are looking at 800 and 5 or 6 TDs....but most importantly I think he will become a reliable option.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I disagree on the notion that it's breakout production or bust. I know the team wishes the best from all their draftees but I doubt JD passed on Mims the first time with the mind set that he was passing up on a WR1 and was going to land him later on in the draft.

So in 14 games (I project him to miss 3), 750 yards isn't too bad. An 1,000 yard season is setting him up for failure.

I dont believe that JD passed on Mims due to his "grade" and I actually do think he passed on him with a calculated risk that he would last.  Personally I didnt agree with the risk/reward as Mims fit a need and was a draft value where we could have gotten him without trading down and think too many things could have happened but I was wrong and JD was correct and Mims was there.

Im also not saying its that production or bust, im saying I thin his ceiling is higher then that production and I think he cares enough to hit his year 2 ceiling

He looked very stiff and slow out there (for who we want him to be) m
clearly showed good hands but let’s hope the stiffness and slowness was due to being a rookie on a sh*tty offense and simply not being ready. 

What we got last year, with a QB and a good offense around him will be a 60, 700 and 5 guy.  Which isn’t terrible but we really need him to be more. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I kind of feel like that line 50 for 550 would be a let down. I am hoping for better and I think I expecting more too. I think we will see him as the wr 2. Behing someone brought in in FA. So I think we are looking at 800 and 5 or 6 TDs....but most importantly I think he will become a reliable option.

550 yards is Scotty Miller numbers. He will come close to 1000

• Upvote 1