MOCK DRAFT: 3/5/21 NO TRADES

PepPep

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Who the Jets select in the draft will have so much to do with who they end up getting/letting go in FA and who they end up getting/giving up via trade that for the purposes of this mock I am just going to assume everything stays as is. For the record I think Darnold will end up getting traded before the draft and the Jets go aggressively after Thuney or Linsley or Scherff. I think Saleh pounds the table for some of the defensive players from the Niners who are now Free Agents and JD obliges. I think the Jet add a vet WR, TE and RB in FA. And I think its more likely than not that the Jets keep their key FAs like Poole, Maye and JFM, but let majority of the other guys walk. This is all do-able with the cap they have. 

My mock consists of prospects I really like who I think will fit the system as well who I believe might realistically be available at the selection. 

Rd. 1- Fields: To me, this has become a no brainer as of late. It's either Fields or Wilson and I've leaned more and more towards Fields who looks to be the better prospect in almost every regard. 

Rd. 1 (Seattle)- Marshall, Jr.: Marshall is projected to be at the very top of that second tier of WRs behind Chase, Smith, and Waddell. Despite not being the prototypical 49ers WR I think he fits really nicely into what the Jets need. I think you could pencil him right in at that X position across from Mims. He has good deep speed. He is tough and can make plays in the middle of the field. Despite his size he can get you quality YAC. And he's a threat in the red zone. All around you can't go wrong with Marshall at 23 and he should be available in that range. I also think the Jets really need a plug and play WR who will make an impact immediate and Marshall is that type of player.  

Rd. 2- Jalen Mayfield: Mayfield has been on my radar for a while. Not only is he a great OT prospect but he is a swing tackle who can step in and play guard. In fact, while his upside is that of a starting LT, he is probably best suited to start as a Guard in the NFL. I think this is the type of player the Jets need while Fant is under contract and while they are trying to figure out what they have in Clark. I don't think he will be hindered in LaFleur's system either. 

Rd. 3- Patrick Jones: This one may be a stretch. It's always hard to tell how early Pass Rushers will go. I've seen Jones mocked as early as late first round and as late as Rd. 4. So I have him falling early in Rd. 3. There's a lot of Pass Rush prospects in this range that will probably go just ahead of him so I don't think its that crazy to think he slips. Jones is a perfect fit for the Edge Leo DE position. This is the one position the Jets need to address on the D-line as they switch to a 4-3 (currently Phillips looks to be the guy set to take that role?). When looking at the type of LEO the Jets need people love making comparisons to Nick Bosa. I think thats a bit silly. You don't NEED to be a specific height and weight to play the position. But for those who believe in that Pat Jones fits the mold perfectly (both guys are 6'4, 265). He is strong enough to set the edge but really his responsibility is to get after the QB and that is where he shines. He has a fantastic motor. He shows power, agility, explosiveness, great hand strength. He also had the production to back it up with 9 sacks this year and 8-1/2 the year before. I know it sounds like I'm gushing over this guy, he's definitely not near the top Edge prospects in this draft. But he's a great fit for this scheme if you just let him get after the QB and he's good value in Rd. 3. 

Rd. 3 (Seattle)- Jabril Cox/Chazz Surratt: I put two guys here primarily because I do not know if Cox will last until late in Rd. 3. Surratt should still be there. I love both of these prospects for the Jets. One thing about the 4-3 and particularly about the Wide Nine is you need athletic, fast linebackers who can cover, rush and fly all over the field. Although the Jets have some decent LBs, the current depth for a 4-3 system like that is in complete disarray. Mosley will be penciled in to start in the middle and if he comes back heathy I think he can be successful but that is a question mark. Hewitt and Jenkins don't really fit that mold and are FAs. Peanut is a FA and coming off injury. Basham doesn't really fit that mold and is a FA. The only other guy coming back who I can see fitting is Cashman and he can't seem to stay healthy. Enter Jabril Cox. He's an ILB but I could see him playing an OLB role in certain situations. He would be an eventual replacement for Mosley once the Jets would feel comfortable shedding his contract. Cox is fast, athletic and most importantly the dude can cover. Surratt is similar in that he has great speed and athleticism and adds coverage ability but he is considerably more raw at the position. However, Surratt brings some pass rush skills and would benefit starting off at the OLB position. I think both guys have really high ceilings and both have been favorite ILB prospects of mine for a while. 

Rd. 4- Kylin Hill- Just for the record, these next three picks were hard to determine because I'm not sure who will go where. But I think it's fair to say all 3 are expected to be available in this range. Hill is a great overall back. He does everything well. He runs well in traffic, he shows good burst to the outside, he shows toughness, he can catch the ball, he has good down field speed, he's tough to bring down, he shows nice wiggle, he stays healthy. His biggest downfall is that he is not elite in any category. But watching him, I've come away really impressed. Even though he's not elite, I still think he will make Perine a 3rd stringer. Now, it can be argued that he doesn't fit the outside zone scheme and the Jets will be looking for speedy backs only. I disagree. I think the Niners ran a variety of runs and LaFleur will continue to do so in NY. I also don't think think he'd be at all slowed down in the outside zone scheme. 

Rd. 5- Paulson Adebo- Like I said, I'm not sure if Adebo falls to Rd. 5. But we're talking about a CB who is probably a scheme specific fit coming off injury. We got Hall in the 5th and Adebo is was not as highly regarded as Hall. I think its feasible he falls EARLY to Rd. 5. For the Jets, this is a perfect fit. Adebo is a smart, athletic, ball-hawking CB who would thrive in a zone heavy scheme but is pretty scheme-versatile. He does not have the top end speed most teams look for in CBs nor does he have the top man-cover skills some teams will covet. He is also primarily suited for the outside. He's also coming off of injury. These are all reasons why he will slide. But for the Jets he is a perfect fit and I think will thrive an outside CB. I think thee Jets are not quite sure what the future holds for Bless and they have high hopes for Hall but he has yet to prove he can be a reliable starter. I expect the Jets to sign a vet familiar with the defense (Sherman?) and have Adebo serve as a developmental outside CB to take over the #2 spot alongside Hall in case Bless does not pan out. In any case, this would be a low risk high reward move to address a position of need. 

Rd. 5 (Giants)- Payton Turner- I have to say I could have gone a few ways here, but I just had to go after one of my favorite versatile D-linemen in the draft. He's really not much of a  sleeper anymore and some team will probably roll the dice earlier on him but right now he is still projected to go somewhere in this range. He is very raw but has all the tools to develop into an impact player at the next level. At 6'5, 270, Turner is a 4-3 DE who is really best suited for the strong side position (the spot I imagine JFM would be starting at if the Jets end up re-signing him). But he can slide over to DT on run plays or LEO on pass downs if needed because he's got the length, strength and athleticism to do so. He's just very raw and considered a developmental prospect. For the Jets he would be a developmental rotational strong side DE if he can earn the reps. I think Turner fits a 4-3 rally well and as far as value its a no-brainer. 

Rd. 6- Ihmir Smith-Marsette- I've mentioned this guy a lot and it's because he is a favorite of mine in the late round 'gem' department. He is a high risk/high reward prospect. He's got great size, speed, athleticism, versatility and hands. All the traits you look for in a WR. However, he's raw and not the best route runner. You need to get the ball in his hands to have him produce. On the plus side, he is a gifted returner and can probably contribute on special teams as he fights for reps. Again, as with Marshall, despite his size and not looking like the prototypical West Coast WR, Smith-Marsette is a guy who has experience being utilized in a variety of formations and can get you YAC.

Rd. 7- Zach Davidson- Small school pass catching TE prospect. Great size at 6'6, 245, speed and hands. You really have to look at this guy as more of a receiving threat than anything else. I think he would complement Herndon (who can block) really well. He's a Div. 2 prospect, not much of a blocker and while exhibits natural athletic and pass catching ability is still pretty raw. In Rd. 7 it's all about upside in the system you are trying to run and Davidson could be a real gem if he develops. LaFleur could do a lot with his size, speed, athleticism and pass catching prowess, especially in the red zone. 

Well, have at it. Feel free to roast me. I took 6 guys on offense. 4 guys on defense. All of these players are favorites of mine and IMO perfectly suited to play in Saleh's/LaFleur's system. Would be nice to have that extra 2nd or 3rd rounder that we might net for Darnold, but again, can't assume anything. 

I think this is a great f*cking draft, nice work.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think this is a great f*cking draft, nice work.

Thnx.

I know there's going to be Jet fans out there that will flip because every pick in the top 100 is not on offense but I just could not allow myself to let the Edge position remain unaddressed. The Jets need to keep taking swings until they get a keeper. 

• Sympathy 1

I love it. 

I’m not a Hill guy, so don’t like that pick but I can pretend it’s someone else. This class is quietly strong at LB and I really like Chazz Surratt. For how long he’s played the position he’s shown a ton of promise. 

Fields and Marshall. All day. All. Day. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, PepPep said:

Who the Jets select in the draft will have so much to do with who they end up getting/letting go in FA and who they end up getting/giving up via trade that for the purposes of this mock I am just going to assume everything stays as is. For the record I think Darnold will end up getting traded before the draft and the Jets go aggressively after Thuney or Linsley or Scherff. I think Saleh pounds the table for some of the defensive players from the Niners who are now Free Agents and JD obliges. I think the Jet add a vet WR, TE and RB in FA. And I think its more likely than not that the Jets keep their key FAs like Poole, Maye and JFM, but let majority of the other guys walk. This is all do-able with the cap they have. 

My mock consists of prospects I really like who I think will fit the system as well who I believe might realistically be available at the selection. 

Rd. 1- Fields: To me, this has become a no brainer as of late. It's either Fields or Wilson and I've leaned more and more towards Fields who looks to be the better prospect in almost every regard. 

Rd. 1 (Seattle)- Marshall, Jr.: Marshall is projected to be at the very top of that second tier of WRs behind Chase, Smith, and Waddle. Despite not being the prototypical west coast WR I think he fits really nicely into what the Jets need. I think you could pencil him right in at that X position across from Mims. He has good deep speed. He is tough and can make plays in the middle of the field. Despite his size he can get you quality YAC. And he's a threat in the red zone. All around you can't go wrong with Marshall at 23 and he should be available in that range. I also think the Jets really need a plug and play WR who will make an impact immediately and Marshall is that type of player.  

Rd. 2- Jalen Mayfield: Mayfield has been on my radar for a while. Not only is he a great OT prospect but he is a swing tackle who can step in and play guard. In fact, while his upside is that of a starting LT, he is probably best suited to start as a Guard in the NFL. I think this is the type of player the Jets need while Fant is under contract and while they are trying to figure out what they have in Clark. I don't think he will be hindered in LaFleur's system either. 

Rd. 3- Patrick Jones: This one may be a stretch. It's always hard to tell how early Pass Rushers will go. I've seen Jones mocked as early as late first round and as late as Rd. 4. So I have him falling early in Rd. 3. There's a lot of Pass Rush prospects in this range that will probably go just ahead of him so I don't think its that crazy to think he slips. Jones is a perfect fit for the Edge Leo DE position. This is the one position the Jets need to address on the D-line as they switch to a 4-3 (currently Phillips looks to be the guy set to take that role?). When looking at the type of LEO the Jets need people love making comparisons to Nick Bosa. I think thats a bit silly. You don't NEED to be a specific height and weight to play the position. But for those who believe in that Pat Jones fits the mold perfectly (both guys are 6'4, 265). He is strong enough to set the edge but really his responsibility is to get after the QB and that is where he shines. He has a fantastic motor. He shows power, agility, explosiveness, and great hand strength. He also had the production to back it up with 9 sacks this year and 8-1/2 the year before. I know it sounds like I'm gushing over this guy, he's definitely not the top Edge prospect in this draft. But he's a great fit for this scheme if you just let him get after the QB and he's good value in Rd. 3. 

Rd. 3 (Seattle)- Jabril Cox/Chazz Surratt: I put two guys here primarily because I do not know if Cox will last until late in Rd. 3. Surratt should still be there. I love both of these prospects for the Jets. One thing about the 4-3 and particularly about the Wide Nine is you need athletic, fast linebackers who can cover, rush and fly all over the field. Although the Jets have some decent LBs, the current depth for a 4-3 system like that is in complete disarray. Mosley will be penciled in to start in the middle and if he comes back heathy I think he can be successful but that is a question mark. Hewitt and Jenkins don't really fit that mold and are FAs. Peanut is a FA and coming off injury. Basham doesn't really fit that mold and is a FA. The only other guy coming back who I can see fitting is Cashman and he can't seem to stay healthy. Enter Jabril Cox. He's an ILB but I could see him playing an OLB role in certain situations. He would be an eventual replacement for Mosley once the Jets would feel comfortable shedding his contract. Cox is fast, athletic and most importantly the dude can cover. Surratt is similar in that he has great speed and athleticism and adds coverage ability but he is considerably more raw at the position. However, Surratt brings some pass rush skills and would benefit starting off at the OLB position. I think both guys have really high ceilings and both have been favorite LB prospects of mine for a while. 

Rd. 4- Kylin Hill- Just for the record, these next three picks were hard to determine because I'm not sure who will go where. But I think it's fair to say all 3 are expected to be available in this range. Hill is a great overall back. He does everything well. He runs well in traffic, he shows good burst to the outside, he shows toughness, he can catch the ball, he has good down field speed, he's tough to bring down, he shows nice wiggle, he stays healthy. His biggest downfall is that he is not elite in any category. But watching him, I've come away really impressed. Even though he's not elite, I still think he will make Perine a 3rd stringer. Now, it can be argued that he doesn't fit the outside zone scheme and the Jets will be looking for speedy backs only. I disagree. I think the Niners ran a variety of runs and LaFleur will continue to do so in NY. I also don't think think he'd be at all slowed down in the outside zone scheme. He still has good speed and the Jets have Ty as their speedster anyway. 

Rd. 5- Paulson Adebo- Like I said, I'm not sure if Adebo falls to Rd. 5. But we're talking about a CB who is probably a scheme specific fit coming off injury. We got Hall in the 5th and Adebo is not as highly regarded as Hall was. I think its feasible he falls EARLY to Rd. 5. For the Jets, this is a perfect fit. Adebo is a smart, athletic, ball-hawking CB who would thrive in a zone heavy scheme but is pretty scheme-versatile. He does not have the top end speed most teams look for in CBs nor does he have the top man-cover skills some teams will covet. He is also primarily suited for the outside. He's also coming off of injury. These are all reasons why he will slide. But for the Jets he is a perfect fit and I think will thrive as an outside CB. I think the Jets are not quite sure what the future holds for Bless and they have high hopes for Hall but he has yet to prove he can be a reliable starter. I expect the Jets to sign a vet familiar with the defense (Sherman?) and have Adebo serve as a developmental outside CB to take over the #2 spot alongside Hall in case Bless does not pan out. In any case, this would be a low risk high reward move to address a position of need. 

Rd. 5 (Giants)- Payton Turner- I have to say I could have gone a few ways here, but I just had to go after one of my favorite versatile D-linemen in the draft. He's really not much of a  sleeper anymore and some team will probably roll the dice earlier on him but right now he is still projected to go somewhere in this range. He is very raw but has all the tools to develop into an impact player at the next level. At 6'5, 270, Turner is a 4-3 DE who is really best suited for the strong side position (the spot I imagine JFM would be starting at if the Jets end up re-signing him). But he can slide over to DT on run plays or LEO on pass downs if needed because he's got the length, strength and athleticism to do so. He's just very raw and considered a developmental prospect. For the Jets he would be a developmental rotational strong side DE if he can earn the reps. I think Turner fits a 4-3 rally well and as far as value its a no-brainer. 

Rd. 6- Ihmir Smith-Marsette- I've mentioned this guy a lot and it's because he is a favorite of mine in the late round 'gem' department. He is a high risk/high reward prospect. He's got great size, speed, athleticism, versatility and hands. All the traits you look for in a WR. However, he's raw and not the best route runner. You need to get the ball in his hands to have him produce. On the plus side, he is a gifted returner and can probably contribute on special teams as he fights for reps. Again, as with Marshall, despite his size and not looking like the prototypical West Coast WR, Smith-Marsette is a guy who has experience being utilized in a variety of formations and can get you YAC. You would think he goes earlier but he comes with some off field issues. He had a DUI and got injured while doing a flip in a celebratory flip in the end-zone. Talk about knuckle-head stuff. This will turn a lot of teams away. But if he can get his act together, the Jets could get a steal.  

Rd. 7- Zach Davidson- Small school pass catching TE prospect. Great size at 6'6, 245, speed and hands. You really have to look at this guy as more of a receiving threat than anything else. I think he would complement Herndon (who can block) really well. He's a Div. 2 prospect, not much of a blocker and while exhibits natural athletic and pass catching ability is still pretty raw. In Rd. 7 it's all about upside in the system you are trying to run and Davidson could be a real gem if he develops. LaFleur could do a lot with his size, speed, athleticism and pass catching prowess, especially in the red zone. 

Well, have at it. Feel free to roast me. I took 6 guys on offense. 4 guys on defense. All of these players are favorites of mine and IMO perfectly suited to play in Saleh's/LaFleur's system. Would be nice to have that extra 2nd or 3rd rounder that we might net for Darnold, but again, can't assume anything. 

I wouldn’t like this draft but I love the effort and reasoning. I’m just not high on Mayfield, Marshall, Jones, Hill, or Surratt. The way you targeted the positions is excellent though and I agree that only staying offense would be a mistake.

• Upvote 1

No premier edge in round 1 or 2 SMH? Adebo in round 5? Not a chance not even in a dream. I like the Marsette pick though. Wouldn’t draft a WR, RB or OL until round 3-4. There are countless good prospects at those positions that will be available. Our top needs are QB, Ok with Fields or Wilson, Edge - this is a MUST even if we sign a FA. Zaven Collins @ 23 would instantly improve this defense which was deplorable last year. He’s the next Devon White. CB @ 34. Did anyone see the Jets games last year? Our secondary was comically bad. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

No premier edge in round 1 or 2 SMH? Adebo in round 5? Not a chance not even in a dream. I like the Marsette pick though. Wouldn’t draft a WR, RB or OL until round 3-4. There are countless good prospects at those positions that will be available. Our top needs are QB, Ok with Fields or Wilson, Edge - this is a MUST even if we sign a FA. Zaven Collins @ 23 would instantly improve this defense which was deplorable last year. He’s the next Devon White. CB @ 34. Did anyone see the Jets games last year? Our secondary was comically bad. 

I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying. I like Zaven Collins a lot. And I agree that not only are CB and Edge two of top needs but that you have to take the early to get good quality talent because its not a deep draft for either position.

However, I don't see much premier Edge talent in this draft period. I assumed Collins would be off the board by 23. And as I mentioned in my post, a lot of this is about fit. I believe JD knows that Saleh has a long list of prospects he would be perfectly happy with because they would be perfect fits for his defense. And they don't have to be top Edge guys that JD would need to use a first rounder on. I feel the same way about CB. Saleh can do a lot with less if you get him the type of CB that suits his scheme, even if you take one in the later rounds. To me, getting a plug and play G/T to immediately fill that hole on the interior of the o-line seems like a bigger need for the coaching staff and the GM. And I felt that way about WR as well. But of course, if the Jets decided to go your route and still address these major holes, I'm all for it. Again, I love Zaven Collins and he'd be a nice fit as well.     

Unless he runs really well, Adebo won't go early in the draft. I think its hard not label him as a scheme specific, outside only CB with limited speed coming off injury. Sure, he may go as high as the 3rd round but I think it will be more like bottom of the 4th, top of the 5th. JMHO. I may be wrong. 

Everything depends on FA but as much as I tried to do a mock where I covered all my bases without taking a WR until Rd. 3, I simply could not get the value I could at other position. It's like there's a drop off after the top two tiers. If tier one was Chase, Smith, Waddle. Tier Two is Bateman, Marshall, Toney, Moore. Who's in the next group? My options by Rd. 3 would dwindle down to St. Brown, Ty Wallace, Elijah Moore, Tutu Atwell, Eskridge- all slot guys and Nico Collins, Dyami Brown, Seth Williams on the outside. To me, thats a considerable drop-off. If I want a receiver to make an impact year one I'm taking one earlier from one of the top two tiers.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2021 at 8:13 PM, PepPep said:

I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying. I like Zaven Collins a lot. And I agree that not only are CB and Edge two of top needs but that you have to take the early to get good quality talent because its not a deep draft for either position.

However, I don't see much premier Edge talent in this draft period. I assumed Collins would be off the board by 23. And as I mentioned in my post, a lot of this is about fit. I believe JD knows that Saleh has a long list of prospects he would be perfectly happy with because they would be perfect fits for his defense. And they don't have to be top Edge guys that JD would need to use a first rounder on. I feel the same way about CB. Saleh can do a lot with less if you get him the type of CB that suits his scheme, even if you take one in the later rounds. To me, getting a plug and play G/T to immediately fill that hole on the interior of the o-line seems like a bigger need for the coaching staff and the GM. And I felt that way about WR as well. But of course, if the Jets decided to go your route and still address these major holes, I'm all for it. Again, I love Zaven Collins and he'd be a nice fit as well.     

Unless he runs really well, Adebo won't go early in the draft. I think its hard not label him as a scheme specific, outside only CB with limited speed coming off injury. Sure, he may go as high as the 3rd round but I think it will be more like bottom of the 4th, top of the 5th. JMHO. I may be wrong. 

Everything depends on FA but as much as I tried to do a mock where I covered all my bases without taking a WR until Rd. 3, I simply could not get the value I could at other position. It's like there's a drop off after the top two tiers. If tier one was Chase, Smith, Waddle. Tier Two is Bateman, Marshall, Toney, Moore. Who's in the next group? My options by Rd. 3 would dwindle down to St. Brown, Ty Wallace, Elijah Moore, Tutu Atwell, Eskridge- all slot guys and Nico Collins, Dyami Brown, Seth Williams on the outside. To me, thats a considerable drop-off. If I want a receiver to make an impact year one I'm taking one earlier from one of the top two tiers.  

I'm hoping JD takes a stud defensive force like Collins @ 23.  He'd be a nice fit to go along with Mosely.  As for WR, we are so bereft of talent we may  have to take one early as you suggest. Still, I'm hoping we can sign a big time FA like Samuel, JuJu, Robinson or Godwin and then draft a couple mid to  late rounders like a slot guy and a speedster eg. Schwartz to open up the field. I think Crowder will not be retained. That's 10-12 M that can be allocated to a #1 FA WR.  There's only so many FA's JD can sign or even find willing to come to the Jets.  Alot hinges on what JD can do in FA.  Since we have so many needs, I'd still wait until round 3 to address the OL since its deep across the line in this draft with Guards, centers and Tackles. Ideally, JD can sign a CB, OL, WR and an edge in FA and use the draft to fortify and round out an improved roster. 

• Upvote 1