Should Jets target a CB at 23?

To me it’s a position the Jets really need the most help at. As we have seen with Darrelle Revis and Trumaine Johnson it’s not a position that usually works out well in free agency either.

The top 2 CBs are Surtain Jr and Caleb Farley. At 23 the Jets should be able to get one in the next tier. 

31 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

To me it’s a position the Jets really need the most help at. As we have seen with Darrelle Revis and Trumaine Johnson it’s not a position that usually works out well in free agency either.

The top 2 CBs are Surtain Jr and Caleb Farley. At 23 the Jets should be able to get one in the next tier. 

J.Horn and Ifeatu Melifonwu come to mind as the next two who would make sense. But that is a considerable drop off. I think I would want to wait. 

I also believe that Saleh can scout scheme specific CBs that would be really successful in his system and JD can get them a bit later in the draft. Every defensive system relies on talent but in certain schemes talent deficiencies can be masked. The defense Saleh ran relies on great talent at safety, athletic LBs who can fly all over the field and edge rushers who can get to the QB. The CBs need to be versatile, smart, aggressive and good tacklers. They don't need to have elite speed or man-coverage skills because Saleh plays a lot of zone and they will get a lot of safety help. You can find those kinds of zone heavy CBs later on in the draft.

50 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I’m cool with having a sh*tty defense if it means we’d be building an offense for once 

Yup. We probably won’t be great next year anyways. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t draft any defense, but not in the first round. 

• Upvote 1

No.  We should take offense players.  Our secondary has enough quality and depth to get the job done and plenty of youth that needs experience.  I would roll with Austin and Bryce Hall on the outside.  I would resign Poole if it can be done at reasonable cost.  We now have enough young depth.  Javelin Guidry started a few games and played plenty of nickle.  Lamar Jackson also started several games.  Neither got their clothes ripped off by the pitiless NFL.  We can bring in a veteran on a one year deal to provide depth and competition.   And before you dump on Guidry and Jackson, remember, they put Desir and the other veterans on the street during the season.   Desir was picked up instantly and started.  Further, the difference between a bust and a mediocre player is snaps.  All of our young corners got plenty of snaps.  Lets see what they can do.  I consider corner to have the most potential of any position group on the club.  As for Austin and Hall, both are big outside press corners, not slot guys.  We have plenty of options at corner especially if we retain Maulet who is an exclusive rights free agent. 

Do not get me wrong, I too would like to bring in a starter with a high draft choice.  But we really need help on offense.  Two wide receivers, two solid lineman and a back at the minimum.  I would roll with the entire defense unless a bargain presents itself. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Yes, unless there’s Jaelan Phillips. If you see Jaelan Phillips take Jaelan Phillips.

Phillips might be the best pure edgerusher in this class but he could step on a banana peel tonight and decide to retire tomorrow.

Sign someone like Hendrickson, Lawson or Ngakoue in FA and take a guy like Pat Jones or Elerson Smith at the top of Round 3.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I think we should target high upside and not position. Fortunately there's a player who's a CB who may be there at 23 with high upside in Jaycee Horn who's the son to Joe Horn.

I've seen Horn going to the Jets @23 in several mocks. 

8 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I think we should target high upside and not position. Fortunately there's a player who's a CB who may be there at 23 with high upside in Jaycee Horn who's the son to Joe Horn.

Jaycee Horn, good football name. *Go with Horn.

*My draft "strategy" is often almost entirely based on good-great football names. My pass/fail percentage hovers roughly around the same as the draft hounds without any of the work, pre-draft chest-thumping, or anal retentive posturing.

7 hours ago, jetophile said:

Jaycee Horn, good football name. *Go with Horn.

*My draft "strategy" is often almost entirely based on good-great football names. My pass/fail percentage hovers roughly around the same as the draft hounds without any of the work, pre-draft chest-thumping, or anal retentive posturing.

Then I’m guessing you would want to draft Harrison MEvis, kicker from Missouri.  If ever there was a name for the Jets to draft it’s MEvis!  Then there’s Pro Wells, another great NFL name!

10 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Another vote for Jaycee Horn. 

I don't see us signing anyone in March that would negate our glaring need for a corner. Whereas I think we can  and should address edge, receiver and IOL in free agency. 

5 49ers Free Agents Who Could Join Robert Saleh in New York

Taking on the Jets job won’t be easy for Saleh. The roster needs an injection of new talent, and it just so happens that the 49ers have 38 free agents for Saleh and Jets general manager, Joe Douglas, to choose from.
JACK HAMMER
JAN 15, 2021
  •  
  •  
  •  

According to reports, the New York Jets have chosen 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh as their next head coach.

After two years under Adam Gase, the Jets are in desperate need for a culture change, and Saleh is the perfect choice to do just that. It was easy to see what Saleh brought to the field. His defenses improved in each of his first three seasons with the 49ers, and in 2020 he was able to keep his group at the top of their game in spite of a rash of injuries that took away his two best pass rushers, both starting cornerbacks and the starting strong safety. All signs also point to 49ers passing game coordinator Mike LaFleur, joining Saleh in New York as his offensive coordinator.

Taking on the Jets job won’t be easy for Saleh. The roster needs an injection of new talent, and it just so happens that the 49ers have 38 free agents for Saleh and Jets general manager, Joe Douglas, to choose from. With over 60 million dollars in salary cap space, they should be able to bring in a good group to begin the rebuild. 

Let’s take a look at a few of the 49ers free agents that could join Saleh and LaFleur in the Big Apple.

Kyle Juszczyk – LaFleur has grown up in the NFL under Shanahan which means the Jets offense will most likely be utilizing a fullback in 2021. Juszczyk was one of the first free agents Shanahan and John Lynch went after when they arrived in Santa Clara and he would be a great fit to help lead the transition of the Jets offense.

Jason Verrett – The veteran cornerback revived his career in 2020 and is set for a big payday. His ability in man coverage played a big role in Saleh’s 49ers defense being able to maintain a high level of play throughout the 2020 season despite the lack of a consistent pass rush. Verrett is someone that San Francisco would love to bring back, but it will cost them more now.

Kerry Hyder Jr – When Hyder joined the 49ers for 2020 it was expected that he would be a rotation piece to spell Nick Bosa and Dee Ford. After both went down early in the season with injuries, Hyder moved into the starting lineup and set a career high with 8.5 sacks. New York will be moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defensive front and could use help up front. Lining up Hyder next to Quinnen Williams would create problems for opposing offenses.

Jaquiski Tartt – As already noted, the Jets secondary is in need of an overhaul and the veteran safety would be a big upgrade. Tartt has the versatility to play both safety positions, a trait that Saleh values. The only concern here is Tartt’s inability to stay on the field, but this may keep his price down enough to make it worth the gamble to bring him in to help create the defensive culture, much like Juszczyk on the offensive side.

Kendrick Bourne – The Jets wide receiver corps was among the worst in the league in 2020. Bourne would be able to step in as the number two wide receiver or be a solid number three if the Jets choose to go with Devonta Smith at the top of Round 1 in the draft. Either way, Bourne would provide a solid target and understanding of LaFleur’s offensive scheme from the get go.

This team should be drafting all offense the first 3 rounds, minimum. 

It's 2021. The Chiefs and Pats have #3 receivers who are better than anyone on the Jets roster right now.

The league as a whole works like this --- The rules favor the offense. The referees favor the offense. It's not 2003 anymore.

It's time to invest in the offense until they become a top scoring offense. Period. 

• Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Barton said:

It's 2021. The Chiefs and Pats have #3 receivers who are better than anyone on the Jets roster right now.

The league as a whole works like this --- The rules favor the offense. The referees favor the offense. It's not 2003 anymore.

It's time to invest in the offense until they become a top scoring offense. Period. 

Yup, which means you better have a good secondary.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/07/nfl-draft-primer-quarterbacks-fmia-peter-king/

Not a great defensive draft, at all. Jeremiah has 24 players with first-round grades, only 10 on defense. (For the record, four quarterbacks, four wideouts, three offensive linemen, two running backs, one tight end, three edge players, three linebackers, three corners, and one safety. No defensive tackles.) Jeremiah has Rousseau, Jaelan Phillips of Miami and Kwity Paye of Michigan atop his Edge rankings, but it doesn’t seem like any of them are locks.

What’s weird about this draft: It’s conceivable that the first eight players could be offensive players, and one of the unheralded corners—opt-out Virginia Tech athlete Caleb Farley or Alabama’s Patrick Surtain II—could be the first defender taken. “If you want a corner,” Jeremiah said, “you better get one in the first couple of rounds. It falls off after that.” Another son of an ex-NFLer, South Carolina cornerback Jaycee Horn (son of former wideout Joe Horn), should go by the end of round one.

17 hours ago, Barton said:

I get where you're coming from, but a balanced team will generally be better than a lop-sided one. Having an offense that puts up 28 points a week is only any good if your D doesn't surrender 35 each week in return.

Raiders last year put up 71 points against KC and split the series 1-1 with them because their D was a sieve.

Eh, you can assemble adequate coverage as a unit. Don’t need stars in the secondary. More important to over-index on offensive dominance in the league now.

Give me guys that score points.

There are a handful of nice veteran Corners we can add that will hold it down, the b draft cb a bit later. Honestly, pass rush makes corners if you play it right from a personnel standpoint.

• Upvote 1