Here we go.......Mike Lombardi Reports the 49ers are Targeting Sam Darnold!!!

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The 49ers don't have the 2nd pick.  That's why.  If they did they would be taking Wilson and not trading for Sam.

This 

This concept is like rocket science around here ???

People like it or not you should  start getting used to Zach Wilson his ceiling is higher than Darnold and he will be cheaper moving forward. 

One of you Darnold fans have a better chance of being the QB next year 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, pointman said:

Wilson is a kid. His growth yearly is massive. Sam Darnold has been in the league 3 years and has done nothing to deserve any sort of belief he will become elite. He doesn't even show the ability to be serviceable at this point. You're not watching each and every Sunday if he has displayed something to you to make you think he will "turn it around". He will never be a QB in the NFL that can lead a team to a Super Bowl win. Never. 

Did Sam Darnold take you out on a date and never called after?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Well the fat lady maybe beginning to sing my friends

It is being reported that Sam may finally have a real suitor.............

https://sportsnaut.com/san-francisco-49ers-sam-darnold-due-diligence-qbs/

Michael Lombardi of The Athletic reported what he’s been hearing out of San Francisco regarding the team doing its “due diligence” for a QB, and how it pertains to Darnold and Garoppolo:

The 49ers are interested in adding a quarterback […] Would they have an interest in Jets quarterback Sam Darnold? Yes, for sure. Why? Because Darnold fits the profile that Shanahan loves at the position: athletic, can throw moving to his left or right, and has the arm strength to make the defense defend every blade of grass on the field.

In a way this makes sense, JD has never consigned a player to the scrap heap but always it seems to have put the former Jet in great places for them to succeed..

In JD I TRUST!!1

Let's Go Jets!!! :) 

So serious Q.  If the 49ers are interested and want Darnold because he is a good fit for their offense based on all those reasons, why wouldn't we keep him then since it will essentially be the same offense?  Edit - I see someone else already asked but I don't buy the fact it is because they don't have the 2nd pick.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The 49ers don't have the 2nd pick.  That's why.  If they did they would be taking Wilson and not trading for Sam.

Then I say keep Darnold and draft Wilson too.

Let them battle it out, let Wilson push Darnold, and next year we can move one of them to another team.  Why run the risk that Darnold turns out to be spectacular in a Shanahan offense if we don't have to?  Yeah, Darnold is more valuable now because contract, but we've got the picks and the cap space to absorb that next year.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

So serious Q.  If the 49ers are interested and want Darnold because he is a good fit for their offense based on all those reasons, why wouldn't we keep him then since it will essentially be the same offense?  Edit - I see someone else already asked but I don't buy the fact it is because they don't have the 2nd pick.

Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. But many have suggested Sam is a good fit. Sam is going to be a starter next year, despite the narrative some are pushing.  You don’t see guys have 3 failed years and start again. People recognize he’s 23 with talent 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I actually am not in the camp that hates Sam Darnold!

I believe that we should draft down to No. 8., pick a QB (Trey Lance) and keep Sam Darnold. 

Dropping down allows you to pick up a QB that you can develop by letting them sit for a year.  Sitting isn't a bad thing, Rogers, Brady and Mahomes sat and I like the results.  To me the Jets have put no QB in a good position to develop since Chad Pennington, who also SAT!  Finally, in today's NFL two inexpensive QBs are fine to carry.  Darnold didn't play well last year but he was better as a rookie and you know why...

At the end of the day, the only concern I have with what I propose here is that there would be tremendous pressure on Sam Darnold to start fast and well, but at this point he would have to be fine with this.....

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let them battle it out, let Wilson push Darnold, and next year we can move one of them to another team.  Why run the risk that Darnold turns out to be spectacular in a Shanahan offense if we don't have to?  Yeah, Darnold is more valuable now because contract, but we've got the picks and the cap space to absorb that next year.

SAR I

@SAR I I am waring you don't steal my schtick without attribution...... :)

In truth this my position as well! 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The thing about Darnold is consistency. It will still be questions surrounding Darnold next year even if he had a average year. Remember NFL teams remember how Goff and Wentz were paid and then regressed. Darnold has never put together a string of consistent top 5 QB play dating back to college. 

You trade Darnold now while his value is at its height  

And the system fit thing is so overstated, Sam sucks selling play action fakes and his roll out passing accuracy is laughable.

And the 49ers only want to kick the tires on Sam because he’s cheaper, Jimmy is due 25 million even though he’s the superior player. You think Sanfran would want Sam if he was on the wasn’t on the back end of a rookie deal, and JimmY G was? 

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

@SAR I I am waring you don't steal my schtick without attribution...... :)

In truth this my position as well! 

Apologies, CB.  Great minds think alike.

Why take the chance on blowing it with either when you can take them both?  It's not like it's the most important position in all of professional sports or anything.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

Your going to trade a 23 year old QB to a team that would start him, to move up 11 spots in the draft, for an unproven WR, or a offensive lineman. That's a fireable offense.

I much rather package Sam and 23 to move up to top 10-12 instead of trading Sam for just a 2nd round pick. That’s just my way of thinking of it. 

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Apologies, CB.  Great minds think alike.

Why take the chance on blowing it with either when you can take them both?  It's not like it's the most important position in all of professional sports or anything.

SAR I

I agree 100%!

If Darnold was coming back at 25 Million Dollars next year then I might pause but that is not the case Darnold costs practically nothing here.  Let's have two potentially good young QBs on the team for once in the history of the franchise!

• Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Money 

Jimmy and Sam are both low tier players even though Jimmy is better Sam is cheaper. Jimmy is due 25 million Sam is only due 9 with a higher upside, 49ers have  some expensive players they would like to get locked up long term. 

This is about finances like most things in this world 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Not a bad plan, and if the Jets are confident enough that Darnold will flourish in this new offense...then his trade value by the trade deadline or the end of 2021 will turn into a 1st +.

Let Sam start while Wilson learns and boost Sam’s trade value. Of course Sam can completely sh*t the bed and then at least we still have Wilson.

Or Sam shocks everyone and lights it up and we trade whoever we like least.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Full proponent of keeping Sam if the compensation isn’t a top 50 pick 

This is really the bottom line. If the Jets are getting low balled they should wait for the better offer. But a 2nd Rd or better and he's gone 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

Money 

Jimmy and Sam are both low tier players even though Jimmy is better Sam is cheaper. Jimmy is due 25 million Sam is only due 9 with a higher upside, 49ers have  some expensive players they would like to get locked up long term. 

This is about finances like most things in this world 

Sam is only due 4.7 in real spend this year. His cap hit is 9 which means a Sam trade kills 5 mil in cap space for the Jets 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

The thing about Darnold is consistency. It will still be questions surrounding Darnold next year even if he had a average year. Remember NFL teams remember how Goff and Wentz were paid and then regressed. Darnold has never put together a string of consistent top 5 QB play dating back to college. 
You trade Darnold now while his value is at its height  
And the system fit thing is so overstated, Sam sucks selling play action fakes and his roll out passing accuracy is laughable.
And the 49ers only want to kick the tires on Sam because he’s cheaper, Jimmy is due 25 million even though he’s the superior player. You think Sanfran would want Sam if he was on the wasn’t on the back end of a rookie deal, and JimmY G was? 

Everyone here told me that I was a fool and that Gase was one of the worst offensive minds in football and the Jets biggest problem.  And they were right.

So it makes perfect sense that if Gase was that awful he must have screwed up Sam Darnold too.

As much as I would be doing cartwheels if we got Watson or Wilson, I would also wonder in the back of my mind what Darnold would have looked like with a healthy roster in a QB-friendly Shanahan system under LaFleur.  So take Wilson, keep Darnold, and make a far more educated decision next season.

There are far worse problems than having the best available FA quarterback on the market and the best available rookie quarterback in Florham Park come June.  Half the league wants one of these two guys.  Screw 'em all.  Let's have both.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Just because someone is a fit for the offense doesn't mean adding him is the best way to utilize a given team's resources. Nick Mullens is a system fit for the SF offense as well, but there is a reason they are not looking to go into 2021 with him as their QB. 

The goal of a team should be to optimize the roster given the pool of resources available to them. The Jets have the #2 pick in the draft, and will have the option of choosing between Fields/Wilson/Lance, all of whom seem to be a fit in the Shannahan offense.

If the Jets feel that any of those QBs + the resetting of a rookie contract/cap space + Sam's trade value

is greater than

The Sam + return the #2 pick will get you + the uncertainty of Sam's contract in the future 

Than it is in the best interest of the Jets to trade Sam and draft a QB. 

The analysis for the 49ers is obviously different. SF is likely not going to be able to get Fields/Wilson/Lance - maybe they like Mac Jones, but as I don't see him as a QB fit for the scheme lets ignore him for the moment. 

SF's analysis is Sam Darnold + capital gained from trading Jimmy G + cap space gained from replacing Jimmy's contract with Sam 

greater than 

Jimmy G + his contract + whatever they give up for Sam. 

If SF were to trade Nick Bosa for the #2 pick - my personal belief is they'd pick a QB and wouldn't think twice about Sam. Maybe you feel differently - but either way the teams are in really different positions at the moment. This is before any calculation over the fact that the Jets roster is such that they are probably 2-3 years away from legitimately competing, which adds even more benefit to resetting the rookie clock, and not taking on the risk of having a hard decision with Darnold and his contract moving forward. There is even more of a risk for the Jets with Sam given how hard it is to evaluate him going into his last year under contract as their roster will still be a work in progress and many of the excuses in evaluating Sam (weak line + receivers). SF doesn't have those concerns. If Sam sucks given their infrastructure they know they whiffed, its more muddled for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Not a bad plan, and if the Jets are confident enough that Darnold will flourish in this new offense...then his trade value by the trade deadline or the end of 2021 will turn into a 1st +.

Let Sam start while Wilson learns and boost Sam’s trade value. Of course Sam can completely sh*t the bed and then at least we still have Wilson.

Or Sam shocks everyone and lights it up and we trade whoever we like least.

See this is what’s not fair to Sam or the new QB and Coaches, too much unneeded press would come from this. If you really want what’s best for Sam  and the team you move him, you don’t put him in this lame duck situation.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Sam is only due 4.7 in real spend this year. His cap hit is 9 which means a Sam trade kills 5 mil in cap space for the Jets 

Wtf are you talking about? Beyond this year Sam will get expensive that’s what I’m referring too that’s all.

4 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Just because someone is a fit for the offense doesn't mean adding him is the best way to utilize a given team's resources. Nick Mullens is a system fit for the SF offense as well, but there is a reason they are not looking to go into 2021 with him as their QB. 

The goal of a team should be to optimize the roster given the pool of resources available to them. The Jets have the #2 pick in the draft, and will have the option of choosing between Fields/Wilson/Lance, all of whom seem to be a fit in the Shannahan offense.

If the Jets feel that any of those QBs + the resetting of a rookie contract/cap space + Sam's trade value

is greater than

The Sam + return the #2 pick will get you + the uncertainty of Sam's contract in the future 

Than it is in the best interest of the Jets to trade Sam and draft a QB. 

The analysis for the 49ers is obviously different. SF is likely not going to be able to get Fields/Wilson/Lance - maybe they like Mac Jones, but as I don't see him as a QB fit for the scheme lets ignore him for the moment. 

SF's analysis is Sam Darnold + capital gained from trading Jimmy G + cap space gained from replacing Jimmy's contract with Sam 

greater than 

Jimmy G + his contract + whatever they give up for Sam. 

If SF were to trade Nick Bosa for the #2 pick - my personal belief is they'd pick a QB and wouldn't think twice about Sam. Maybe you feel differently - but either way the teams are in really different positions at the moment. This is before any calculation over the fact that the Jets roster is such that they are probably 2-3 years away from legitimately competing, which adds even more benefit to resetting the rookie clock, and not taking on the risk of having a hard decision with Darnold and his contract moving forward. There is even more of a risk for the Jets with Sam given how hard it is to evaluate him going into his last year under contract as their roster will still be a work in progress and many of the excuses in evaluating Sam (weak line + receivers). SF doesn't have those concerns. If Sam sucks given their infrastructure they know they whiffed, its more muddled for the Jets. 

This

Its all summed up perfectly here, can’t see how this is so complicated for the Darnold supporters ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Everyone here told me that I was a fool and that Gase was one of the worst offensive minds in football and the Jets biggest problem.  And they were right.

So it makes perfect sense that if Gase was that awful he must have screwed up Sam Darnold too.

As much as I would be doing cartwheels if we got Watson or Wilson, I would also wonder in the back of my mind what Darnold would have looked like with a healthy roster in a QB-friendly Shanahan system under LaFleur.  So take Wilson, keep Darnold, and make a far more educated decision next season.

There are far worse problems than having the best available FA quarterback on the market and the best available rookie quarterback in Florham Park come June.  Half the league wants one of these two guys.  Screw 'em all.  Let's have both.

SAR I

No @SAR I you were NOT a fool!  My friend, you are simply a Jets fan who is sick and tired of the Jets LOSING and there is nothing wrong with that!!!

Now with Saleh I truly believe that our fandom will FINALLY be rewarded! 

And I also think that we need not do and all or nothing plan ---- we can have two quality QB prospects for once!!!

• Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Every time I've mentioned this scenario I've been blasted by Jet fans. So what is the draft pick cost of keeping Sam and drafting Wilson - maybe a 2nd round pick and that's it? Or do we get something if Sam leaves after the season - maybe a comp pick? Whatever the cost is its not too bad  - it would be worse for the Jets if Sam went on to be very good and Wilson crumbled. So I agree keep Sam for another year - even maybe trade him before the trading deadline if necessary - some team will be in playoff contention and want Sam - and draft and develop Wilson.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I much rather package Sam and 23 to move up to top 10-12 instead of trading Sam for just a 2nd round pick. That’s just my way of thinking of it. 

We'd be getting ripped off. No way Dougals is going to do that. He wouldn't trade a box safety(Adams), for a 1st and a 3rd. He-s going to trade trade a young QB" who would start for that team for a 2nd rd pick. Not a chance.

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Depending how short the pre-season this isn’t the worst idea. Challenge with that is teams struggle to get new QBs reps and a QB battle will just amplify that. The sooner they pick one the better it is, especially installing a new system. You can do it for a short time, hope Wilson has a Russell Wilson moment in camp and give him the nod. Essentially you would you have to name  Sam as the starter sooner than later and be ok letting him start the season. Zack “ the attack” Wilson would need all the training camp reps  and possibly more to be able to be rolled out as a starter. Kinda like that saying” if you have two QBs, you don’t have one!” 

• Upvote 1

Darnold went backwards. You can try to pass all the blame, but the fact remains he still makes the same boneheaded mistakes.

He is still wildly inconsistent, he does not see the field, he misses guys, he throws off his back foot, he gets spooked, he has not progressed.

At some point he has to be held responsible, he's young and maybe he will mature, but as of right now his greatest accomplishment is a mono free season.

We need another option at QB no matter what. If we draft a QB at 2, there is no reason to keep Sam. If we trade for Watson, there is no reason to keep Sam. The only way I would trade down and take a QB is if I knew I could get my top QB at that spot, and then there would be no reason to keep Sam.

Keeping Sam and trading down for a QB you could develop, sounds like a recipe for disaster. Sam has not shown enough growth to warrant consideration, it's time to move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

A key thing with Darnold is his confidence.

IDC what anybody says if 2 of you’re top receivers, the new coach, GM show no public support for you after your roughest season as a pro, it has to put a dent in you're confidence. Then you have the fanbase flirting with Lawrence all season, then Fields, Watson and now Zach Wilson, he’s probably feeling it. 

Another thing is Sanchez, I noticed he and the host made it a point to empathize how close he is with Darnold, then goes on to say “Get him outa there” days after Joe Douglas press conference where he basically put Darnold on the block.

it may be in everyone’s best interest at this point to move on imo 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Every time I've mentioned this scenario I've been blasted by Jet fans. So what is the draft pick cost of keeping Sam and drafting Wilson - maybe a 2nd round pick and that's it? Or do we get something if Sam leaves after the season - maybe a comp pick? Whatever the cost is its not too bad  - it would be worse for the Jets if Sam went on to be very good and Wilson crumbled. So I agree keep Sam for another year - even maybe trade him before the trading deadline if necessary - some team will be in playoff contention and want Sam - and draft and develop Wilson.

Yup.  There is always the possibility that the new QB does a JP Losman.  Nothing wrong with keeping your options open 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Depending how short the pre-season this isn’t the worst idea. Challenge with that is teams struggle to get new QBs reps and a QB battle will just amplify that. The sooner they pick one the better it is, especially installing a new system. You can do it for a short time, hope Wilson has a Russell Wilson moment in camp and give him the nod. Essentially you would you have to name  Sam as the starter sooner than later and be ok letting him start the season. Zack “ the attack” Wilson would need all the training camp reps  and possibly more to be able to be rolled out as a starter. Kinda like that saying” if you have two QBs, you don’t have one!” 

There's a domino effect here as well.  By forcing the 49ers to keep Garroppolo he can't go to Miami or New England.  And by taking Wilson ourselves, Houston will never let Watson out of town.

Diabolical.

SAR I

• Upvote 1