Here we go.......Mike Lombardi Reports the 49ers are Targeting Sam Darnold!!!

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

There's a domino effect here as well.  By forcing the 49ers to keep Garroppolo he can't go to Miami or New England.  And by taking Wilson ourselves, Houston will never let Watson out of town.

Diabolical.

SAR I

That’s true actually. I got many a Patsy fan friendish things that are hoping for a Jimmy G reunion. I heard they hoping to get Kenny G to play the announcement party. 

35 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Wtf are you talking about? Beyond this year Sam will get expensive that’s what I’m referring too that’s all.

2nd overall pick qb is similar expensive as whatever darnold is worth. It's cheaper than Watson but it'd not cheap. 

36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Everyone here told me that I was a fool and that Gase was one of the worst offensive minds in football and the Jets biggest problem.  And they were right.

So it makes perfect sense that if Gase was that awful he must have screwed up Sam Darnold too.

As much as I would be doing cartwheels if we got Watson or Wilson, I would also wonder in the back of my mind what Darnold would have looked like with a healthy roster in a QB-friendly Shanahan system under LaFleur.  So take Wilson, keep Darnold, and make a far more educated decision next season.

There are far worse problems than having the best available FA quarterback on the market and the best available rookie quarterback in Florham Park come June.  Half the league wants one of these two guys.  Screw 'em all.  Let's have both.

SAR I

I’m glad to see that you’ve come to light, so to speak, SAR I. ( Regarding Gase) 

As for having a QB controversy on our hands, no way. Trade Darnold and hopefully get a third rounder and move on. That’s it, that’s all. You don’t draft a guy at 2 unless you believe beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he’s your guy. Keeping Sam around does nothing but muddy the waters. Plus, if you look at it empirically, his stats don’t warrant any loyalty or return to the team next year.

We’ll never know if darnold would have been a better qb if say Macarthy would have been the head coach. That’s water under the bridge.  the flaws in Darnold’s game after 3 years might take  a couple of years to figure out. That’s about the same timeframe that drafting another QB might take. Then there’s Sam’s contract...
Wilson will be this team’s next QB unless he’s some sort of a jerk, character wise.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Just because someone is a fit for the offense doesn't mean adding him is the best way to utilize a given team's resources. Nick Mullens is a system fit for the SF offense as well, but there is a reason they are not looking to go into 2021 with him as their QB. 

The goal of a team should be to optimize the roster given the pool of resources available to them. The Jets have the #2 pick in the draft, and will have the option of choosing between Fields/Wilson/Lance, all of whom seem to be a fit in the Shannahan offense.

If the Jets feel that any of those QBs + the resetting of a rookie contract/cap space + Sam's trade value

is greater than

The Sam + return the #2 pick will get you + the uncertainty of Sam's contract in the future 

Than it is in the best interest of the Jets to trade Sam and draft a QB. 

The analysis for the 49ers is obviously different. SF is likely not going to be able to get Fields/Wilson/Lance - maybe they like Mac Jones, but as I don't see him as a QB fit for the scheme lets ignore him for the moment. 

SF's analysis is Sam Darnold + capital gained from trading Jimmy G + cap space gained from replacing Jimmy's contract with Sam 

greater than 

Jimmy G + his contract + whatever they give up for Sam. 

If SF were to trade Nick Bosa for the #2 pick - my personal belief is they'd pick a QB and wouldn't think twice about Sam. Maybe you feel differently - but either way the teams are in really different positions at the moment. This is before any calculation over the fact that the Jets roster is such that they are probably 2-3 years away from legitimately competing, which adds even more benefit to resetting the rookie clock, and not taking on the risk of having a hard decision with Darnold and his contract moving forward. There is even more of a risk for the Jets with Sam given how hard it is to evaluate him going into his last year under contract as their roster will still be a work in progress and many of the excuses in evaluating Sam (weak line + receivers). SF doesn't have those concerns. If Sam sucks given their infrastructure they know they whiffed, its more muddled for the Jets. 

Did the 49ers not have the 2nd pick in the 2017 draft with Mitch, watson and Mahomes in it but decided to trade out of their position so to say they would definitely pick a QB this year has precedent that they wouldn't.

I heard Kyle wanted Cousins in a trade and it didn't work out so they went with Jimmy G instead.

Why the 49ers Better Not Trade for Sam Darnold

GRANT COHN MARCH 07, 2021

I now present the most terrifying 49ers news of the week.

According to The Athletic's Michael Lombardi, the 49ers are interested in trading for New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold.

"Would they have an interest in Jets quarterback Sam Darnold?" Lombardi wrote. "Yes, for sure. Why? Because Darnold fits the profile that Shanahan loves at the position: athletic, can throw moving to his left or right, and has the arm strength to make the defense defend every blade of grass on the field."

It's unclear if Lombardi is speculating or has inside information.

Lombardi is a former NFL front office executive who worked for the Raiders and Patriots, and he's friends with my dad. I grew up playing little league baseball with his sons. So, all due respect to Lombardi.

But he's wrong. Or he better be.

Darnold would be a major downgrade from Jimmy Garoppolo, because Darnold is freaking horrendous.

Lombardi is correct that Darnold fits the physical profile Shanahan wants in a quarterback, but doesn't take into account the mental profile, i.e. football IQ. And football IQ is the main reason the 49ers want to get rid of Jimmy Garoppolo. He looks good throwing a football when he's healthy, but he doesn't know where to go with the ball most of the time and he makes bad decisions.

Darnold is worse. He makes Garoppolo look like a football genius.

When you watch the coach's tape of Darnold, the tape that shows all 22 players in the frame, you can see he misses open receivers almost every play. Misses them as in doesn't see them. He rarely knows where to go with the ball -- you can count on one hand the amount of time he executes plays correctly in a game. That's a big reason he already has gotten two head coaches fired -- Todd Bowles and Adam Gase.

Darnold has zero feel for playing quarterback and he's a turnover machine. Plus he misses games for bizarre reasons -- mono, strep, enlarged speed, etc. He's a project the 49ers don't need.

They already have a project quarterback from the 2018 draft. His name is Josh Rosen. The 49ers should develop him and let the Jets worry about Darnold.

I'm guessing Shanahan feels the same way. He can watch the coach's tape. And he knows what he's watching.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Adobolo said:

garropolo has zero market value on his current contract, the 49ers can release him with minimum cap hit. Never mind the fact that jimmy is a very average QB in a system that fits him and makes him look a decent player. He is an injury prone player that kyle took all responsibility off following the vikings playoff game because kyle realized he was not good enough. Contrary to most jets fans believes Sam is a much much better QB than Jimmy G.

I seriously doubt this is the case. He absolutely has trade value, and there's a good chance it would or will be a day 2 pick.

He turns 30 this year - plenty young for a QB - and it was just one year prior that he was good enough to QB a team to the Super Bowl. His contract is for $25MM/year, which is some $8-10MM/year below the going rate for a (non-top-5) veteran starter now.  He has some guarantees coming up, but it's not sky-high and is only a factor if he's cut.

People will pay for the perception of potential/upside at this position. Draft picks have it; JG has it; Darnold has it because of the legitimate built-in Jets excuses; even the offseason after missing 25 of 32 games from 2013-14 Sam Bradford had it; someone like Bridgewater doesn't. Unless SF simply decides to keep him (to start him), Garoppolo has trade value. He's not getting released.

Darnold hasn't even proven he's much better than Josh Rosen yet, let alone Garoppolo. This past year he didn't even compare favorably to a has-been who missed the whole summer on his 3rd team in 3 seasons, which was coming off a bad half-season that ended on IR in Denver, which itself followed getting benched in Baltimore.

To say "Sam is a much much better QB than Jimmy G" is absurd. He's younger & has more theoretical upside at much lower salary. As of right now, that's about it. He's not even a no-brainer for a 5th year option that'd be a relative bargain for a veteran starting QB. If not for the significant injury risk, Garoppolo would easily have more trade value than Darnold, because he's shown on the field to be a better QB, where Darnold's pure hope/upside with nothing actually proven yet.

5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

According to The Athletic's Michael Lombardi, the 49ers are interested in trading for New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold.

"Would they have an interest in Jets quarterback Sam Darnold?" Lombardi wrote. "Yes, for sure. Why? Because Darnold fits the profile that Shanahan loves at the position: athletic, can throw moving to his left or right, and has the arm strength to make the defense defend every blade of grass on the field."

Lombardi is a former NFL front office executive who worked for the Raiders and Patriots, and he's friends with my dad. I grew up playing little league baseball with his sons. So, all due respect to Lombardi.

Darnold would be a major downgrade from Jimmy Garoppolo, because Darnold is freaking horrendous.

Lombardi is correct that Darnold fits the physical profile Shanahan wants in a quarterback, but doesn't take into account the mental profile, i.e. football IQ. And football IQ is the main reason the 49ers want to get rid of Jimmy Garoppolo. He looks good throwing a football when he's healthy, but he doesn't know where to go with the ball most of the time and he makes bad decisions.

When you watch the coach's tape of Darnold, the tape that shows all 22 players in the frame, you can see he misses open receivers almost every play. Misses them as in doesn't see them. He rarely knows where to go with the ball -- you can count on one hand the amount of time he executes plays correctly in a game. That's a big reason he already has gotten two head coaches fired -- Todd Bowles and Adam Gase.

Darnold has zero feel for playing quarterback and he's a turnover machine. Plus he misses games for bizarre reasons -- mono, strep, enlarged speed, etc. He's a project the 49ers don't need.

They already have a project quarterback from the 2018 draft. His name is Josh Rosen. The 49ers should develop him and let the Jets worry about Darnold.

I'm guessing Shanahan feels the same way. He can watch the coach's tape. And he knows what he's watching.

This is spot on.

12 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Darnold has zero feel for playing quarterback and he's a turnover machine. Plus he misses games for bizarre reasons -- mono, strep, enlarged speed, etc. 

I get the Sam hate but no need to pile on--the mono and enlarged spleen (or enlarged "speed") were a single thing not plural and the strep at exactly the same time was likely associated with it.  The "etc" is just lazy.  Mention the foot or not mention it, but saying "etc" implies multiple other reasons.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

If we are running a Shanahan offense.

And if the Shanahan's believe Sam Darnold is a perfect quarterback for it.

Then we are keeping Sam Darnold.

SAR I

And suddenly a flood of emotional fans longing to cling to Sam. I didn’t see this coming at season’s end. Is it just that people inherently resist change? And there’s old Gase disciple SAR leading up the Save Our Sam charge. 2-14

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Then I say keep Darnold and draft Wilson too.

Let them battle it out, let Wilson push Darnold, and next year we can move one of them to another team.  Why run the risk that Darnold turns out to be spectacular in a Shanahan offense if we don't have to?  Yeah, Darnold is more valuable now because contract, but we've got the picks and the cap space to absorb that next year.

SAR I

You take the 2nd for Darnold now and build the team around Wilson.  

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I seriously doubt this is the case. He absolutely has trade value, and there's a good chance it would or will be a day 2 pick.

He turns 30 this year - plenty young for a QB - and it was just one year prior that he was good enough to QB a team to the Super Bowl. His contract is for $25MM/year, which is some $8-10MM/year below the going rate for a (non-top-5) veteran starter now.  He has some guarantees coming up, but it's not sky-high and is only a factor if he's cut.

People will pay for the perception of potential/upside at this position. Draft picks have it; JG has it; Darnold has it because of the legitimate built-in Jets excuses; even the offseason after missing 25 of 32 games from 2013-14 Sam Bradford had it; someone like Bridgewater doesn't. Unless SF simply decides to keep him (to start him), Garoppolo has trade value. He's not getting released.

Darnold hasn't even proven he's much better than Josh Rosen yet, let alone Garoppolo. This past year he didn't even compare favorably to a has-been who missed the whole summer on his 3rd team in 3 seasons, which was coming off a bad half-season that ended on IR in Denver, which itself followed getting benched in Baltimore.

To say "Sam is a much much better QB than Jimmy G" is absurd. He's younger & has more theoretical upside at much lower salary. As of right now, that's about it. He's not even a no-brainer for a 5th year option that'd be a relative bargain for a veteran starting QB. If not for the significant injury risk, Garoppolo would easily have more trade value than Darnold, because he's shown on the field to be a better QB, where Darnold's pure hope/upside with nothing actually proven yet.

I think people over rate Jimmy because his team made a superbowl and to give him his due he played well for the first three quarters of that superbowl with short intermediary passing to complement their great running game but it was his fault they lost that superbowl in the fourth quarter and if you don't believe me go back and watch it.

He wasn't even trusted in the playoff, I think against the Packers he only passed the ball 9 times in the whole game. I watched every 49ers game that season because I had a good bit of money on them to win the superbowl from the start of the season and Jimmy had a lease on him the whole season by kyle.

I feel it's a case of far away fields are greener when it come to a qb like jimmy. He really is not that good and if the 49ers got a replacement for him yes they might find a trade partner for him but it would be a day 3 pick but most likely he would he released. Also I don't think the Pats would take him back because of his injury history, Bill B gave him a chance when brady was suspended and jimmy let them down by getting injured after 2 games.

17 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Well the fat lady maybe beginning to sing my friends

It is being reported that Sam may finally have a real suitor.............

https://sportsnaut.com/san-francisco-49ers-sam-darnold-due-diligence-qbs/

Michael Lombardi of The Athletic reported what he’s been hearing out of San Francisco regarding the team doing its “due diligence” for a QB, and how it pertains to Darnold and Garoppolo:

The 49ers are interested in adding a quarterback […] Would they have an interest in Jets quarterback Sam Darnold? Yes, for sure. Why? Because Darnold fits the profile that Shanahan loves at the position: athletic, can throw moving to his left or right, and has the arm strength to make the defense defend every blade of grass on the field.

In a way this makes sense, JD has never consigned a player to the scrap heap but always it seems to have put the former Jet in great places for them to succeed..

In JD I TRUST!!1

Let's Go Jets!!! :) 

The article doesn't cite one internal source that verifies they are "targetting" Darnold.  That's just the article's author (Fitzgerald) quoting Mike Lombardis total speculation.  

You got sucked in.  And if SFO wants Sam, I'll buy the plane ticket.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Adobolo said:

Also I don't think the Pats would take him back because of his injury history, Bill B gave him a chance when brady was suspended and jimmy let them down by getting injured after 2 games.

NE desperately needs a QB they will take him back if given the opportunity. 

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You take the 2nd for Darnold now and build the team around Wilson.  

And if Wilson busts and Darnold thrives there isn’t a bridge in New York big enough for Jets fans to jump off of.  

There is no need to take such a risk. We can have our cake and eat it too. 

SAR  I

1 hour ago, Jetluv58 said:

And suddenly a flood of emotional fans longing to cling to Sam. I didn’t see this coming at season’s end. Is it just that people inherently resist change? And there’s old Gase disciple SAR leading up the Save Our Sam charge. 2-14

I’m not a Sam fan.  But I am smart enough to know that if Kyle Shanahan is willing to gamble his career on Sam Darnold there is no way we should let him go before seeing what LaFleur can do with him. 

And I'm no Patriots fan.  And Sam to SF would bring Jimmy G to New England and f-ck that.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And if Wilson busts and Darnold thrives there isn’t a bridge in New York big enough for Jets fans to jump off of.  

There is no need to take such a risk. We can have our cake and eat it too. 

SAR  I

Seriously, you can't have your cake it eat it too.  .If you take a QB at 2 you MUST do everything in your power to support him.  You can't half-ass it.  We've been doing that for too long.

Have a sack - pick the QB you like and build a team around him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. But many have suggested Sam is a good fit. Sam is going to be a starter next year, despite the narrative some are pushing.  You don’t see guys have 3 failed years and start again. People recognize he’s 23 with talent 

Once you go Ginger...

55 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Seriously, you can't have your cake it eat it too.  .If you take a QB at 2 you MUST do everything in your power to support him.  You can't half-ass it.  We've been doing that for too long.

Have a sack - pick the QB you like and build a team around him.

If they both have similar skillsets suited to a Shanahan offense, we can build around both and it will make no difference to either.

If you are talking about having the gumption to compete for a job and be a starting NFL quarterback in New York City, well, the two quarterbacks in question will have to grow a sack, not me.

Darnold and Wilson. Battle it out.  And at the same time it keeps Garropolo away from the Patriots and Watson away from the Dolphins.  Diabolical.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

This little article neatly sums up exactly why I can’t fathom Darnold returning. It also sums up why I’m so awe struck by the number of seemingly intelligent people who think he should return as Jets starter.  At this point, this is much larger than picking a QB. It’s about whether Joe Douglas has the brains to be an effective GM. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I’m not a Sam fan.  But I am smart enough to know that if Kyle Shanahan is willing to gamble his career on Sam Darnold there is no way we should let him go before seeing what LaFleur can do with him. 

And I'm no Patriots fan.  And Sam to SF would bring Jimmy G to New England and f-ck that.

SAR I

I get where you're coming from here but it seems like awful asset management to keep Darnold around only to pay him next year even in the best case. The wise thing to do IMO is take the 2 you're  offered, draft another qb that Lafleur thinks is a good to great fit for his offense and restart the 5 year clock. Why not take the bonus 2 while you've got it? 

10 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

I get where you're coming from here but it seems like awful asset management to keep Darnold around only to pay him next year even in the best case. The wise thing to do IMO is take the 2 you're  offered, draft another qb that Lafleur thinks is a good to great fit for his offense and restart the 5 year clock. Why not take the bonus 2 while you've got it? 

Because if it turns out that Sam Darnold is a terrific quarterback in a Shanahan offense, we have found the franchise quarterback we've been looking for since 1975.

If we let Darnold go to the 49ers and the 49ers send Garoppolo to New England and we take Wilson and he struggles or busts, we have buried ourselves in the AFCE basement needlessly.

Keep Darnold, draft Wilson, make the decision on which one to trade next season, there will be plenty of takers.

SAR I

19 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

This little article neatly sums up exactly why I can’t fathom Darnold returning. It also sums up why I’m so awe struck by the number of seemingly intelligent people who think he should return as Jets starter.  At this point, this is much larger than picking a QB. It’s about whether Joe Douglas has the brains to be an effective GM. 

....or it could be that the reason the top HC prospect and top OC prospect in the NFL came to New Jersey and the godforsaken Jets because they see what Kyle Shanahan sees-  we have a franchise quarterback already and the #2 pick in the draft with which to build around him.

It's always puzzled me how easy it was to get Saleh and LaFleur in here.  Well, if you allow yourself to believe that they knew Darnold would be perfect in their offense, things suddenly make a lot of sense.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Because if it turns out that Sam Darnold is a terrific quarterback in a Shanahan offense, we have found the franchise quarterback we've been looking for since 1975.
If we let Darnold go to the 49ers and the 49ers send Garoppolo to New England and we take Wilson and he struggles or busts, we have buried ourselves in the AFCE basement needlessly.
Keep Darnold, draft Wilson, make the decision on which one to trade next season, there will be plenty of takers.
SAR I

#1 Jimmy G in New England doesn't scare me. Go for it, Bill.

2. I don't see Sam being a breakout star as a particularly likely scenario. The supporting cast isn't good yet, and the other teams in the division are going to be better this year. That being the case, the overwhelmingly likely scenario is that Sam is another year older and Joe has to either play him or sign/sell him off for a lower pick. I just see the white hot qb market as an opportunity. It's a sellers market. Capitalize now while you can.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Plenty of takers for the LOSER of the NY Jets qb competition?

Silly+gif+00325.gif

11 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Trade an unproven qb for another unproven player in an area of need?

55054430.jpg

Fantasy land. He would be the starter for an NFL team at QB. You would trade him for a WR, or offensive lineman who's never played a down in the NFL. Not even Mac would do that. Unless he went a week without coffee.

Fantasy land. He would be the starter for an NFL team at QB. You would trade him for a WR, or offensive lineman who's never played a down in the NFL. Not even Mac would do that. Unless he went a week without coffee.

Point of clarification...***Five*** years of a rookie WR or one more year of qb, after which you need to either pay him an ridiculous amount of money given his resume or let him walk for nothing. The latter is actually the firable offense. Sorry, and no offense, but If you can make the trade and Joe believes in said WR, IMO you make it 100 times out of 100.