Fireworks begin this week

While everyone is focusing a week out for the start of free agency, I suspect the action picks up this week.  Regardless of what JD says, teams either: 1) need to clear cap; and 2) create a blueprint that will attract free agents.  The latter is especially true for teams who are unsettled at QB. 

I would expect:

1) Interesting cap casualities this week

2) Trades of high-profile players to be released or nearing new deals.  Tag and trades will begin the following week, for those following the ARob situation.

3) QB movement, with several teams like SF, Chicago, Philly, the Jets, Houston, Miami, Pittsburgh, Oakland (even with Ben back for 1 year) etc. still in limbo. 

So buckle up... the fun starts this week.  Whether the Jets are players in this for trades or QB movement, we'll see.  But if they stand pat at QB this week, I would think that it's down to Darnold vs. a QB at 2.  That decision can go up to draft day, but a move of Watson, to me, feels like it would be done in the next couple of weeks.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

That decision can go up to draft day, but a move of Watson, to me, feels like it would be done in the next couple of weeks.

If Houston covets the #2 pick, then Joe Douglas sets the timeline, and JD wants to see all the QBs pro days before he officially wraps up his QB evaluations. Don't see him making any trades involving that pick until April at the earliest. If Houston doesn't want to wait that long, could they pull the trigger with another team in the meantime? Sure. That would probably mean that they got an offer that the Jets had no desire to beat, though. 

A pre-June 1 trade of Watson costs the Texans $5.6M in cap space when they only currently have about $16.7M. They may not be in a rush to do a deal, either, until they make other free agency and roster moves. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

While everyone is focusing a week out for the start of free agency, I suspect the action picks up this week.  Regardless of what JD says, teams either: 1) need to clear cap; and 2) create a blueprint that will attract free agents.  The latter is especially true for teams who are unsettled at QB. 

I would expect:

1) Interesting cap casualities this week

2) Trades of high-profile players to be released or nearing new deals.  Tag and trades will begin the following week, for those following the ARob situation.

3) QB movement, with several teams like SF, Chicago, Philly, the Jets, Houston, Miami, Pittsburgh, Oakland (even with Ben back for 1 year) etc. still in limbo. 

So buckle up... the fun starts this week.  Whether the Jets are players in this for trades or QB movement, we'll see.  But if they stand pat at QB this week, I would think that it's down to Darnold vs. a QB at 2.  That decision can go up to draft day, but a move of Watson, to me, feels like it would be done in the next couple of weeks.

I agree, one of best parts of season, especially when you are a Jets fan, whose off seasons are generally more exciting than our regular seasons!,,

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, slats said:

If Houston covets the #2 pick, then Joe Douglas sets the timeline, and JD wants to see all the QBs pro days before he officially wraps up his QB evaluations. Don't see him making any trades involving that pick until April at the earliest. If Houston doesn't want to wait that long, could they pull the trigger with another team in the meantime? Sure. That would probably mean that they got an offer that the Jets had no desire to beat, though. 

A pre-June 1 trade of Watson costs the Texans $5.6M in cap space when they only currently have about $16.7M. They may not be in a rush to do a deal, either, until they make other free agency and roster moves. 

Cant you designate a transaction as a post June 1 trade prior to that date and gain the financial benefits?

4 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

Nothing is happening until March 17th at 4:01 PM 

JD better jump right into it cause there’s a lot of work to be done. I don’t need to see everybody in here freaking out including yours truly as big names come off the board. We have a ton of cap space. Use it.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

errr March 15th (Legal Tampering) ??

Yes, this more accurate, at least 10-15 deals will be ‘done’ before the 17th, just cant be formally announced till 17th. The strong rumors of signings should start be weds night, final franchise player designation is tuesday

27 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

JD better jump right into it cause there’s a lot of work to be done. I don’t need to see everybody in here freaking out including yours truly as big names come off the board. We have a ton of cap space. Use it.

And to be clear, you will be disappointed.  We are filling maybe two positions with big names.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And to be clear, you will be disappointed.  We are filling maybe two positions with big names.  

Its actually not about filling positions with big names, its about getting quality players to fill gaps on the team, and we have Many. I agree we are likely to get maybe 2 ‘ names, likely wr, pass rusher , or Ol. That said, there are likely going to be more quality players this yr than any other cap yr, so you just need to find some key contributors, rb, cb, etc...

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Ahh yes ... March ... Historically the 2nd best month to be a Jets fan. Second only to April where we can all startup the grill and sit back and dream blindly of the triumphant ascendance of our franchise on the backs of college players we really have no idea about ...

This is our playoffs.

The draft is our Super Bowl.

Sadly, our offseason usually starts around Halloween.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

The non tampering period might be slower than in the past if players are not happy with what they might be getting offered.  The cap is so low and a good amount of teams don’t have much space that contract levels are bound to get reset lower this year.  Will be interesting to see if guys go for one year deals hoping to sign longer term deals next year when the cap is higher. 

17 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

Its actually not about filling positions with big names, its about getting quality players to fill gaps on the team, and we have Many. I agree we are likely to get maybe 2 ‘ names, likely wr, pass rusher , or Ol. That said, there are likely going to be more quality players this yr than any other cap yr, so you just need to find some key contributors, rb, cb, etc...

And that is a fair assessment.  However, we are talking about Jets fans here.  We want our GM fired when we don't sign the first three players each year for large contracts.

7 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

The non tampering period might be slower than in the past if players are not happy with what they might be getting offered.  The cap is so low and a good amount of teams don’t have much space that contract levels are bound to get reset lower this year.  Will be interesting to see if guys go for one year deals hoping to sign longer term deals next year when the cap is higher. 

Agree, though i think the 1st 5-10 will be signed quickly(within a week), like other yrs. The cap situation is really going to hurt the next tier with hundreds of FAs and limited cap dollars

• Upvote 2

The March 15th tampering period and the March 17th start date only apply to players who's contracts expired.

Players who are cut can sign with anyone at any time. (see JJ Watt)

So if there are some big cap casualties this week, there could be some signings this week as well.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

I'm worried about getting a top WR in FA if they don't know who the QB is going to be - Olinemen too I guess. Why would they walk into an unknown QB situation?

1 hour ago, riggy001 said:

Yes, this more accurate, at least 10-15 deals will be ‘done’ before the 17th, just cant be formally announced till 17th. The strong rumors of signings should start be weds night, final franchise player designation is tuesday

Not exactly true.  Cap casualties and trades may commence this week but be announced then.  Cap casualties, like JJ Watt, can sign before the new year.

5 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I'm worried about getting a top WR in FA if they don't know who the QB is going to be - Olinemen too I guess. Why would they walk into an unknown QB situation?

Well due to the the #1 reason FA sign with teams, money and term.

WRs will say they love any QB in the league if you give them money and term.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

I expect Joe Douglas to be his normal "Sluggo" self. Which means slow and steady no big names and no big money. He will sign some mid tier free agent the first week just to get on the board. 

Agree, but he might go big for an OL but it will depend on the bargaining.  He'll want a player who buys into the Saleh experience.

On 3/7/2021 at 9:30 AM, CanadaSteve said:

Way too many voids in this roster there will be at least 4 big name signings in free agency. 

Remember Woody Johnson is back in town. 

On 3/7/2021 at 8:29 AM, slats said:

No way a deal for Watson happens after the draft.

7 hours ago, slats said:

Where did I suggest that it might? 

A pre-June 1 trade of Watson costs the Texans $5.6M in cap space when they only currently have about $16.7M. They may not be in a rush to do a deal, either, until they make other free agency and roster moves. 

I assumed you meant before June 1 which leaves open the giant window after the Draft.

On 3/7/2021 at 8:33 AM, Dunnie said:

Ahh yes ... March ... Historically the 2nd best month to be a Jets fan. Second only to April where we can all startup the grill and sit back and dream blindly of the triumphant ascendance of our franchise on the backs of college players we really have no idea about ...

Forget April. This season has now been bumped to being over by St. Paddy's Day. Where have you been.

• Haha 1