Trade Targets (Non QB)

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Welcome! I agree Gallup is a great option and one I hope the Jets pursue. One issue is that the Cowboys basically cannot keep him unless they move on from Dak, so the Jets in theory would be able to sign him in FA next year w/o giving up draft capital. The benefit would be if a deal were to be ironed out this year during the trade, they wouldn't need to outbid everyone else, and in theory the extension he signs this off-season should theoretically be less given the drop in cap space. 

As it pertains to other trade targets - I think a few that could be interesting are: 

Marshon Lattimore - Saints will need to shed cap space 

Ryan Ramczyk - Same as above 

Tyron Smith/Zack Martin/Lae'el Collins - Cowboys will be in a tough cap spot if they sign Dak and all three of these O-Lineman are injury risks 

Taylor Motom - a potential tag and trade candidate - Motom would be a great upgrade at RT and if the Panthers want to either trade up to #2, or are able to land one of the marquee QBs (Wilson/Watson) - they may be in a bit of a cap crunch as they can't get out from under Teddy's deal. 

I agree with these. I also like Gallup. Looking at the cap the Jets will have, along with the draft capital available to them, it doesn't seem wise to be giving up draft picks for expensive players but I do think if JD has a shot to bring in someone like Lattimore or Ramczyk or any of those stud O-linemen from Dallas who he thinks would fit LaFleurs scheme he should make that move.  

You could also add Andrus Peat from the Saint to the list. Ramsczyk is a FA in '22. If you trade for him, you are giving us assets for a potential rental. Peat, although not as good, just resigned with the Saints. Why would they trade him. Well, his cap hit is high, it would allow them to open up space to keep Ramsczyk, and he struggled with injury the past couple of years. Why would the Jets want him? He's an upgrade at G. He's versatile and can move over to RT in a pinch. He would fit the West Coast system having run a version of that in NO. He's under contract through 2024 with an out in 2023. He probably would cost less than some of the other players. Ramscyk or Lattimore would cost at least a 2nd. Peat would cost at most a 3rd.   

But again, the Jets should be big players in FA. I know its wishful thinking. But Thuney-G, Samuel-WR, Everett-TE, Jamaal Williams-RB, Sherman-CB, Blair- OLB/Edge, Keanu Neal-SS. I'd love all 7 of these guys to be added while the Jets retain their own key FAs like Maye, Poole, JFM, Elflein and Hewitt. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

Hello Everyone,

I've been a long time lurker here and finally decided to join the fray.  Nice to meet everyone and I look forward to some healthy debate. There has been a lot of conversations around the quarterback and free agency, but I'd like to start a discussion on realistic trade targets you think the Jets should go after excluding the quarterback position.

Let's list out the player name, position, team, and trade compensation you think is reasonable to make it happen.

I'll kick this off:

Michael Gallup, WR, Dallas Cowboys, 3rd rounder (86 hopefully).

I think he's the perfect compliment for the WR group. He can play outside opposite Mims. He's an ascending player that is on the last year of his rookie deal and I don't think the cowboys can afford to keep him long term. He'd immediately be the best WR on the team, atleast until Mims fully develops. He has a knack for getting open, he's reliable, and simply just makes plays.  I know his name isn't as sexy as Allen Robinson, but I'd prefer Gallup.  Additionally, the draft looks very deep on slot receivers, but less so on outside guys. This frees up more options for us at 23, 34, and hopefully 66.

Welcome aboard!  Good post!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone,

3 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Welcome! I agree Gallup is a great option and one I hope the Jets pursue. One issue is that the Cowboys basically cannot keep him unless they move on from Dak, so the Jets in theory would be able to sign him in FA next year w/o giving up draft capital. The benefit would be if a deal were to be ironed out this year during the trade, they wouldn't need to outbid everyone else, and in theory the extension he signs this off-season should theoretically be less given the drop in cap space. 

As it pertains to other trade targets - I think a few that could be interesting are: 

Tyron Smith/Zack Martin/Lae'el Collins - Cowboys will be in a tough cap spot if they sign Dak and all three of these O-Lineman are injury risks 

Taylor Motom - a potential tag and trade candidate - Motom would be a great upgrade at RT and if the Panthers want to either trade up to #2, or are able to land one of the marquee QBs (Wilson/Watson) - they may be in a bit of a cap crunch as they can't get out from under Teddy's deal. 

I like Motom, would be a good get if available.  I could be wrong , but I just don't see Carolina parting with him though. I think they'd cut costs in other areas to keep continuity upfront, especially if drafting a young QB. I also think this is a strong tackle draft.  I have a man crush on Jalen Mayfield at the backend of rd1. If we could combine him with Linsley in free agency, I think we'd be solid. I'd play Mayfield at guard year one, then move on from Fant next year and kick him out to RT.

Regarding Lattimore, I like the player but wonder what the cost will be.  I do think he can be had though. I think it will be a little too rich for JD.

I'd love to get Ryan Ramczyk. What do you think the cost would be?  

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I agree with these. I also like Gallup. Looking at the cap the Jets will have, along with the draft capital available to them, it doesn't seem wise to be giving up draft picks for expensive players but I do think if JD has a shot to bring in someone like Lattimore or Ramczyk or any of those stud O-linemen from Dallas who he thinks would fit LaFleurs scheme he should make that move.  

You could also add Andrus Peat from the Saint to the list. Ramsczyk is a FA in '22. If you trade for him, you are giving us assets for a potential rental. Peat, although not as good, just resigned with the Saints. Why would they trade him. Well, his cap hit is high, it would allow them to open up space to keep Ramsczyk, and he struggled with injury the past couple of years. Why would the Jets want him? He's an upgrade at G. He's versatile and can move over to RT in a pinch. He would fit the West Coast system having run a version of that in NO. He's under contract through 2024 with an out in 2023. He probably would cost less than some of the other players. Ramscyk or Lattimore would cost at least a 2nd. Peat would cost at most a 3rd.   

But again, the Jets should be big players in FA. I know its wishful thinking. But Thuney-G, Samuel-WR, Everett-TE, Jamaal Williams-RB, Sherman-CB, Blair- OLB/Edge, Keanu Neal-SS. I'd love all 7 of these guys to be added while the Jets retain their own key FAs like Maye, Poole, JFM, Elflein and Hewitt. 

I don't though much about Peat, but from the articles I've read, he seams to be the weakest starter in there oline. We may be better off with a lower cost FA, or resigning Elfein to compete with a draftee.

Unfortunately, he only got one off-season from JD. If he's true to his word he will target value as opposed to splash signings. I do think however, he will be in on at least one of the Thuney/Linsley. 

• Upvote 1

Someone’s been reading my mind. I flirted with starting the same thread. I’ve been vocal about trading for Gallup. I think at times he’s played better than Cooper. Trade for him now and extend him for 10 mil a year.

also CHI - Anthony Miller 

there’s more but I have a date with house chores 

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Someone’s been reading my mind. I flirted with starting the same thread. I’ve been vocal about trading for Gallup. I think at times he’s played better than Cooper. Trade for him now and extend him for 10 mil a year.

What do you think the trade compensation would be? Do you think they'd go for the Seattle 3rd, or would they'd covet one of our young dlineman.

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

Not a bad idea ..might get him cheap .. his last two years have been lackluster.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Not a chance for Tyron Smith. He is damaged goods. 

1 hour ago, Jdub03 said:

What do you think the trade compensation would be? Do you think they'd go for the Seattle 3rd, or would they'd covet one of our young dlineman.

that would be my first offer. Get the convo started. 

31 other GMs know Gallup isn't getting extended in DAL... and they'll get nothing for him next year heading in FA. This is the offseason t get yourself a day 2 pick for Gallup.... I'd speculate there's 30%-40% he's trade before or on draft day tbh

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

that would be my first offer. Get the convo started. 

31 other GMs know Gallup isn't getting extended in DAL... and they'll get nothing for him next year heading in FA. This is the offseason t get yourself a day 2 pick for Gallup.... I'd speculate there's 30%-40% he's trade before or on draft day tbh

I haven't really seen much of Gallup other than the occasional 'flip the channel' look at DAL.  The only thing that concerns me is the 55% career catch rate.  We collectively ran Robby out of town for the same thing.  Is Gallup really any better?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I haven't really seen much of Gallup other than the occasional 'flip the channel' look at DAL.  The only thing that concerns me is the 55% career catch rate.  We collectively ran Robby out of town for the same thing.  Is Gallup really any bette

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I haven't really seen much of Gallup other than the occasional 'flip the channel' look at DAL.  The only thing that concerns me is the 55% career catch rate.  We collectively ran Robby out of town for the same thing.  Is Gallup really any better?

He's a different type of player than Robbie. He doesn't have Robbie's speed. He wins with route running, physicality, body control, and good at the catch point. He does drop some, but it looks more like focus drops to me.

https://youtu.be/Le_U-nPRRNg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I won't lie and claim to be a scholar on Gallup/DAL's offense - but i would speculate that 55% is related to his role/routes in the offense. He is vastly underrated as a route runner/tactician with the public. Cooper and Lamb take up the spotlight, though at times last year i thought Gallup was the cleanest of the 3. 

Would be instant production here in NY