Ex-NFL Executive Randy Mueller: Sam Darnold vs Zach Wilson?

Just now, C Mart said:

Really?  How do?

Because who cares what Darnold’s representation wants? What is the benefit to the Jets to give Darnold a raise while he performs as the worst QB in the league. He mentions it, calls it outside of the box, mentions TEAM building but does not give a reason why the extension benefits the Jets. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

How's Chris Simms' NFL executive resume looking?  

This guy expressed a well-formed opinion that didn't happen to align with the Zach Wilson is Jesus movement.  Let the hate flow.

Point to my post where I mention Zach Wilson? 

2 minutes ago, genot said:

That's just immature baby talk. Everything he said is factually correct. Some of the people who post wanting another QB, are so unwilling to admit they could be wrong. At least me and others who believe all of what was posted in that article, are humble enough to admit we could be wrong

Immature baby talk? Damn, babies come a long way from when I had them. Weak as bitches only ga ga goo goo all the damn time. Color me impressed. 

1 minute ago, genot said:

That's just immature baby talk. Everything he said is factually correct. Some of the people who post wanting another QB, are so unwilling to admit they could be wrong. At least me and others who believe all of what was posted in that article, are humble enough to admit we could be wrong

That’s spin. Hanging onto hope for Darnold at the cost of $20 million on the cap is a ridiculous thought. Evidence over 3 years as a pro and an actual reevaluation of his college career should  have told you that you were wrong but you can’t admit it. Financially this makes no sense, it also makes no sense when compared to the evidence. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

To me he explained everything from a front office decision maker perspective. You just don’t  agree with him. 

No, I don’t think his conclusion is well stated nor is it well argued. Plus his conclusion which is reached with poor reasoning is also bad. Give a bad player $20 million without letting the market dictate his value, that’s bad reasoning. He might still be good? Sure but don’t give him $20 million to prove it. Pass on QB prospects who represent the best value in sports? Compel into agreeing with you because right now you’re asking me to squander cap dollars and time.

• Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Where does he explain how giving Darnold $20 million a year helps the team? Because Darnold was a highly touted prospect 4 years ago? 

If you, like me, think you can win with either guy, then proceed this way. How many boxes in the team building manual do either option allow you to check? Get out your score cards and make your lists of the other positions of need on this 2 win team and what either choice allows you to do in filling out the rest of your team building concerns. What can we parlay the #2 pick in the NFL Draft into this year? Can we slide back more than once and acquire chips to build with? Ask all the pertinent questions.

It has to be a win-win for both sides to consider. It allows the club to plan and build out their team around those cap numbers. Stability sometimes outweighs the new flashy toy. Sure, you are betting on yourself in Darnold's case, but it would put him in an unprecedented situation and would also give the Jets more time for him to develop and move further down the road to winning.

• Upvote 4

Lines up with what may potentially happen here, unless Douglas is smitten with Wilson or Fields.

But I will add that if Darnold improves, his ceiling may only be meh/average. 

Then we have to hit on our draft picks, crap shoot.

And a good roster with a meh QB loses in the wild card every year.

• Post of the Week 2

To me he explained everything from a front office decision maker perspective. You just don’t  agree with him. 

Exactly. That's why i was a little rough in my post. If you don't agree with some posters QB narrative you must be an incompetent former executive.A dumb analyst. Or a Darnold fan who owns too many Sam bibbleheads

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

This idea that Sam Darnold hasn’t scratched the surface of his talent is group think at this point and not based on anything we’ve seen on field. Sam is well liked personally by the national and local media. I believe that’s where this comes from.  He wouldn’t be getting this benefit if he wasn’t well liked, he’d be described as he has performed, as one of the worst starting QB’s in the NFL.

Most of these guys analyze players tapes far more than you or I, that's why you get the evaluators, pundits, coaches consistently saying they think Darnold can still make it. 

There is certainly group think going on, but its for damn sure not in the pro Darnold crowd. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

If you, like me, think you can win with either guy, then proceed this way. How many boxes in the team building manual do either option allow you to check? Get out your score cards and make your lists of the other positions of need on this 2 win team and what either choice allows you to do in filling out the rest of your team building concerns. What can we parlay the #2 pick in the NFL Draft into this year? Can we slide back more than once and acquire chips to build with? Ask all the pertinent questions.

It has to be a win-win for both sides to consider. It allows the club to plan and build out their team around those cap numbers. Stability sometimes outweighs the new flashy toy. Sure, you are betting on yourself in Darnold's case, but it would put him in an unprecedented situation and would also give the Jets more time for him to develop and move further down the road to winning.

There is no win for the Jets in extending Darnold. He is under team control for 2 seasons for a total of about $30 million.

• Upvote 2

1. That’s one decision

Drafting John Beck was another one.

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

2. How many yrs did Ginn play in the NFL? 

Fourteen and counting, including one where he almost (but not quite) had 800 yards! Now that’s what I call a draft pick babey

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Drafting John Beck was another one.

Fourteen and counting, including one where he almost (but not quite) had 800 yards! Now that’s what I call a draft pick babey

Yeah NFL teams just give out 14 yr careers. 

And I’m sure there are more dud picks. Every GM has them. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

If Jets give Sam Darnold contract extension this team is ******* brain dead

This wouldn’t be a Goff or even Sanchez valued extension.  A modestly-priced deal, heavy on incentives, would risk a little extra money to allow you to hedge your bet.  If Darnold really turns it around (which you’re hoping for if you keep him), you still have his rights going forward, whereas without the extension you’d be negotiating with him after a great season (one great season) and be bent over a barrel (see: Jared Goff).  If he’s mediocre, you still have the options of giving him one more year or trading him on a modest QB contract).  If he has another crappy year, you may have sacrificed a little extra cash, but only 2 more years worth and hopefully you’d have an out after the first of them.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1