Mac Jones 2nd best QB in draft?

Mazz

Can someone enlighten me as to why Mac Jones isn't in consideration for pick number 2? Is the consensus that he cannot create with his legs the same way Wilson or Fields can? Why do most seem to disregard all of the intangibles and basic fundamentals that he possesses? I mean he has a commanding presence in the pocket, has a strong mental as well as arm strength. His accuracy is pretty amazing, therefore it begs the question why is he not projected ahead of the non Trevor Lawrence QBs?

image.png

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Mazz said:

Can someone enlighten me as to why Mac Jones isn't in consideration for pick number 2? Is the consensus that he cannot create with his legs the same way Wilson or Fields can? Why do most seem to disregard all of the intangibles and basic fundamentals that he possesses? I mean he has a commanding presence in the pocket, has a strong mental as well as arm strength. His accuracy is pretty amazing, therefore it begs the question why is he not projected ahead of the non Trevor Lawrence QBs?

image.png

Not sure but considering the historical track record Bama has with QBs, it is indeed suspect. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Mazz said:

image.png

Because QBs are never ranked solely on the numbers they post?  

Funny, you ask why is he not projected ahead of the non Trevor Lawrence QBs.  His numbers are better than Lawrences, why arent you asking why he isnt projected ahead Trevor Lawrence?  Actually you kind of answered youre own question 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

56 minutes ago, Mazz said:

image.png

He is playing for the most talented college team and there are always those who feel once he goes to a team with lesser talent in the NFL he would not be able to operate as well.

• Upvote 2

i don't think i can say anything that hasn't already been said.  he's been throwing to ball vacuum cleaners in smith and waddle and has a heck of a running game with najee harris and the oline.  this isn't to say he's not an important piece of the team but he certainly isn't forced to take the game entirely on his shoulders.  i wouldn't be that concerned about his being a statue.  i think that could be more of a reflection of how good the oline is at pass blocking and the receivers in getting open early.  what he needs to have for the nfl is enough mobility to side step the pass rush or even take advantage of an open running lane.  he also needs to be able to get rid of the ball quickly and make the right reads.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

It's a very rare system in this league that knows what to do with a true pocket passer like Mac anymore. I love that he has a good head on his shoulders but he's a statue. In the 90s nfl, yeah maybe.

So you're saying Marino wouldn't be a good QB in today's NFL... 

1 hour ago, Mazz said:

image.png

Number 2, number 4, number 6, number 16 - it doesn't matter - he will get his chance! Actually the lower he's picked the better chance he has to succeed. Brady was picked in the 6th round and he got his chance - thanks to Mo Lewis - but he would of got his chance sooner or later anyway.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

I assume that you mean recent historical track record because that Namath kid and that Stabler kid weren’t bad.

I think you understood that the wrong way. I'm saying historically Bama has produced some great QBs, so its suspect as to why people dont support them as much anymore. 

• Upvote 1

I really liked what I saw of him, but he’s more of a game manager and needs to go to a team that is more ground and pound to be successful. He’s not going to lose any games, but he may not be able to win them in the two minute drill. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I think you understood that the wrong way. I'm saying historically Bama has produced some great QBs, so its suspect as to why people dont support them as much anymore. 

You are correct, I did misunderstand your post.

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

So you're saying Marino wouldn't be a good QB in today's NFL... 

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that run of the mill pocket passers...hall of famers aside...are not common in the nfl right now. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Icer said:

Not a great athlete, playing with a ton of first round picks around him, Tua/McElroy, you can keep going

So no good QBs play with talented rosters in college ?

Edited by Dunnie
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that run of the mill pocket passers...hall of famers aside...are not common in the nfl right now. 

I get that, but that doesn't mean, that Mac will be bad... He just needs to right situation, like most QB's in the league. Take Mahomes and the SB as an example. He is a scrambling QB and he was silenced by the fact that his O-Line was sh*t in the SB. Had the entire line played, I believe the outcome would have been different. Not taking away from the great job that Todd B did with the TB defense, but Chiefs have dealt with good defenses in the past and have won.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

I believe it's different than when Sabin first started coaching there. BAMA has always been a run first team, Even Namath and Stabler played under those type offenses back with the Bear. With the bad ones, some played for Sabin before he was forced to change to a more passing offense. I believe Mac Jones benefited from learning under Sarkisian much more than a McElroy etc...  I think Mac Jones is going to be a good one, but it does depend on which team drafts him and whether he's forced to start right away.

• Upvote 1

I get that, but that doesn't mean, that Mac will be bad... He just needs to right situation, like most QB's in the league. Take Mahomes and the SB as an example. He is a scrambling QB and he was silenced by the fact that his O-Line was sh*t in the SB. Had the entire line played, I believe the outcome would have been different. Not taking away from the great job that Todd B did with the TB defense, but Chiefs have dealt with good defenses in the past and have won.

Yeah, Agreed. I am just saying his target opportunities to get into that right situation are much fewer than a more mobile qb. That's not a commentary on skill necessarily so much as it is his skill set. Granted, any good play caller will tailor his offense for his qb, but there are very few effective non mobile QB anymore. Who knows...maybe Mac brings it back!
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

He's basically an AJ McCarron clone.  Same exact size, same arm, same accuracy, same smarts, same immobility.  Played with offensive talent at Alabama that outclassed the defenses he faced.  

He'll be a nice backup for 10 years.  Not a first round talent.  Hope the Pats draft him at 15.  

38 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

He's basically an AJ McCarron clone.  Same exact size, same arm, same accuracy, same smarts, same immobility.  Played with offensive talent at Alabama that outclassed the defenses he faced.  

He'll be a nice backup for 10 years.  Not a first round talent.  Hope the Pats draft him at 15.  

Jones’ stats blow McCarron’s out of the water. 

7 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Jones’ stats blow McCarron’s out of the water. 

Not talking stats--talking the players.  And Jones had even more talent on offense than McCarron did.  

Edit: Actually, "blow out of the water" is a bit of an exageration.  His last year was better (in a Covid year) but for their Alabama careers overall, pretty close.  

Same player.  

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

Not talking stats--talking the players.  And Jones had even more talent on offense than McCarron did.  

I dunno man, their senior year delta is pretty telling.

Mac Jones had 1,500 more passing yards, 10% better comp pct, 13 more TDs, 3 fewer INTs. 

And watching highlights you can tell that AJ threw into double coverage way more frequently.  

Same height, weight, and helmet...different player. 

13 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I dunno man, their senior year delta is pretty telling.

Mac Jones had 1,500 more passing yards, 10% better comp pct, 13 more TDs, 3 fewer INTs. 

And watching highlights you can tell that AJ threw into double coverage way more frequently.  

Same height, weight, and helmet...different player. 

Mac Jones was a one year starter in a Covid year with incredible talent all around him and much lesser talent he was facing.  AJ was consistent as a 3 year starter in non-Covid years against much better talent and put up some great numbers.  I don't watch highlights-I watched every game he and Jones played.  

Whatever, I see the same exact player.  Again, I hope the Pats draft him.