Mac Jones 2nd best QB in draft?

Mazz

On 3/7/2021 at 6:11 PM, RVAJet815 said:

It's a very rare system in this league that knows what to do with a true pocket passer like Mac anymore. I love that he has a good head on his shoulders but he's a statue. In the 90s nfl, yeah maybe.

so its better to have a mobile QB who can gain yards on the ground and be dynamic as hell but throw ducks up for 90 yards when it really counts in the playoffs vs a defense that can contain the running aspect of his game ?

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

so its better to have a mobile QB who can gain yards on the ground and be dynamic as hell but throw ducks up for 90 yards when it really counts in the playoffs vs a defense that can contain the running aspect of his game ?

I mean if you think that’s what Zach is...um, sure? The ideal is to have a good QB prospect. And in general terms, a mobile QB prospect is going to get more looks than one who isn’t. It’s just that simple. That’s just where the league is right now.

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

I mean if you think that’s what Zach is...um, sure? The ideal is to have a good QB prospect. And in general terms, a mobile QB prospect is going to get more looks than one who isn’t. It’s just that simple. That’s just where the league is right now.

I'm saying that's what Lamar Jackson is ... Brady the most immobile keeps winning SB's

I wonder sometimes how did Brady, Manning, Rothlesburger, Brees, Rodgers, all pocket passers ever make it in this league. How many SB's did these guys account for the last 15 years

I'll say the same thing about Jones I said earlier about Fields: I have an open bias around drafting QBs from colleges stacked with NFL-level talent.

Naming Alabama QBs from decades past just isn't comparable. College football, like the NFL, is a totally different game now. Offenses play fast and pass more to take advantage of disparities in talent and experience. That disparity doesn't exist in the NFL. It's hard to know if a player can mature into great play when he's only played with the disparities always cutting in his favor. Some of them will be good QBs but the majority tend not to be. 

• Post of the Week 1

On 3/8/2021 at 12:03 AM, Mazz said:

Can someone enlighten me as to why Mac Jones isn't in consideration for pick number 2? Is the consensus that he cannot create with his legs the same way Wilson or Fields can? Why do most seem to disregard all of the intangibles and basic fundamentals that he possesses? I mean he has a commanding presence in the pocket, has a strong mental as well as arm strength. His accuracy is pretty amazing, therefore it begs the question why is he not projected ahead of the non Trevor Lawrence QBs?

image.png

No real reason

These QB's are not evaluated by their stats or college success...

But rather how the scouts believe their overall skill-set will translate to the NFL game.

No one's saying he's a bad QB - just that there are 4 or 5 other guys that scouts believe are better suited for the NFL game.

• Upvote 2

On 3/8/2021 at 10:35 AM, mrcoops said:

I think Mac Jones looks very good. Accurate, decent arm, reads the field well, gets the ball out quickly.

Not fleet of foot, but moves well in the pocket. Has the look of a productive NFL starter to me.

I fully expect if he goes to a good NFL system with talent around him and a solid offensive line he will be a successful NFL QB.  The only thing you question about him is if his potential is capped because of the physical limitations.  His arm is better than average, but you are seeing in the NFL now how much offenses benefit from a + arm.  The same can be said about mobility, Jones is a good athlete, but he's not a great athlete for the position,  He moves well in the pocket, slides around, can run a little if you force him to, but he's not going to make things happen with his legs.  

So to me while I like him as a player for all the reasons you described (smart, practiced in a full read progression passing game, good accuracy, good arm, good feet, good mechanics), I just don't see the pure potential that you see with guys like wilson or fields or even lance for that matter (although I'd put him ahead of lance, purely because I just dont know enough about Lance to make a judgement). 

To me he's a top 20 pick for sure, I just dont think i'd pull the trigger top 10 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

These QB's are not evaluated by their stats or college success...

But rather how the scouts believe their overall skill-set will translate to the NFL game.

No one's saying he's a bad QB - just that there are 4 or 5 other guys that scouts believe are better suited for the NFL game.

You need to provide Bit with proof.  Evidence.  100% certitude.

You know, stuff that doesn't exist.