JuJu Smith-Schuster “unlikely” to accept offer to stay

Despite whatever disclaimers and caveats that NFL teams may apply to articles written on websites owned and operated by NFL teams, the fact remains that those websites are owned and operated by NFL teams.

This necessarily makes observations made by team employees on team-owned websites more relevant when it comes to, for example, players who will or won’t be retained in free agency.

Here’s what Bob Labriola of Steelers.com had to say about Steelers receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster’s status with the team: “Smith-Schuster is set to become an unrestricted free agent on March 17, and despite his pronouncements on social media that he wants to continue his career with the Steelers, he’s unlikely to want to accept what the cap-strapped Steelers would be able to pay him on a new contract.”

While that hardly qualifies as earth shattering given the well-known cap issues with which the Steelers are struggling, it’s relevant to see what someone from within the team is thinking. Even though Labriola isn’t making the decisions, he has access to those who do. (Team president Art Rooney II, for example, rarely talks to any media members other than Labriola or other Steelers.com employees.)

The Steelers also have a new hammer that can be used when it comes to negotiations with Smith-Schuster, other impending free agents, or veterans who have current contracts with salaries that the team would like to trim. Now that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has slashed his 2021 compensation by $5 million (that’s 26.3 percent of the $19 million he was due to make), the Steelers can point to Roethlisberger in any negotiations with any other players as an example of the kind of sacrifice that needs to be made for the greater good.

This meshes with one of coach Mike Tomlin’s favorite sayings: “We can’t do this with hostages, man. We need volunteers.” And it works. It got Roethlisberger to take an unconditional $5 million haircut, and it surely will be used on other players.

Will it work on Smith-Schuster? Probably not, unless other teams aren’t willing to make a major, multi-year offer for a receiver who is an excellent No. 2 but not equipped to be a No. 1. But the bottom line is that getting players to put “team” above their individual bottom lines is very, very good for the team’s bottom line.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Just curious for those that do, what do you like about JuJu that you really want him on this team?

What makes you think of all the potential options that may be available(let’s in this case assume all get to free agency...Golladay, Robinson etc)

I don’t see this is a good move at all. I do not believe he is a #1, and we’re talking about possibly paying him like a top #1. 

The problem is the assumption of those WRs hitting the market isn't reality as of now. There's already talks about tag and trading some of those guys for a 2nd rounder.

But to play along with what you've said they would definitely stack ahead of him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fullblast said:

Sneaky feeling this guy will be a Jet in a couple of weeks.

Of course he will... he's the very definition of a player looking for somewhere to give him a lot of money so he can semi-retire. That's been the hallmark of the Jets for years now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Of course he will... he's the very definition of a player looking for somewhere to give him a lot of money so he can semi-retire. That's been the hallmark of the Jets for years now. 

It would be great if the Jets could semi-play, what a concept.

32 minutes ago, Icer said:

No thanks, he will be the next Steeler WR to fall off the face of the earth when he leaves the team and cares more about TikTok then catching the ball

Yeah, Nik Tok really held him back to 100+ catches and 1400+ yards.  

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

juju can only semi play now... that's not going to get better with a huge contract to fund his actual interests. 

I wasn't supporting him trying to do so or getting paid here, I was just making a general observation much like yours. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, Nik Tok really held him back to 100+ catches and 1400+ yards.  

Ahh, your favorite. Players who have 1 good year surrounded by pedestrian years. His 2017, 2019, and 2020 are definitely the aberrations compared to his 2018. That 1 year, 3 years ago really shows that making him one of the highest paid receivers in the league today is wise. 

..and of course, the bare minimum googling shows Juju didn't have a tiktok account in 2018. He got it in 2019.

16 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Ahh, your favorite. Players who have 1 good year surrounded by pedestrian years. His 2017, 2019, and 2020 are definitely the aberrations compared to his 2018. That 1 year, 3 years ago really shows that making him one of the highest paid receivers in the league today is wise. 

..and of course, the bare minimum googling shows Juju didn't have a tiktok account in 2018. He got it in 2019.

97 catches and 9 tds this year.  Crowder has never come close to that.  Schuster is younger and bigger and is physical.

I'd love to get juju but there for sure is a price point for him.

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Makes more sense than talking about Tik Tok as if it means anything.  

His surrounding years were his rookie year and his injury season with Ben out for the season?  This year phased out as Pitt always does with WRs theyre not retaining he had almost 850 yards with 9 TDs.  

7 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Don't understand the Juju interest when we have Crowder.

Crowder is 4-5 years older and only signed for 1 year more at $11 mill.  If you can get a bigger guy 5 years younger with similar production who is also more versatile I think it’s something you explore especially if his price ends up $10-13 mill. Lock up his prime and don’t worry about slot for 4 years.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Just curious for those that do, what do you like about JuJu that you really want him on this team?

What makes you think of all the potential options that may be available(let’s in this case assume all get to free agency...Golladay, Robinson etc)

I don’t see this is a good move at all. I do not believe he is a #1, and we’re talking about possibly paying him like a top #1. 

I don't love the idea of signing Juju but I could get on board if you move on from Crowder. Sorta depends on what Juju's looking for though. I wouldn't be signing him as our #1 like I would a Robinson, Golladay, Godwin, or Davis

Basically cut Crowder and use his $10m towards Juju.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't love the idea of signing Juju but I could get on board if you move on from Crowder. Sorta depends on what Juju's looking for though. I wouldn't be signing him as our #1 like I would a Robinson, Golladay, Godwin, or Davis

Basically cut Crowder and use his $10m towards Juju.

Exact opposite of what I would want to do.  Crowder deserves to stay in my opinion. Yea his salary is a bit high but the dude always makes plays. 

I feel like subtracting him creates another hole. 

• Upvote 1

Keeping in mind that I am a NYer born and bred...

I think it is safe to say that those folks in Pittsburgh, whether they cover the team, work for the team, own the team or are fans of the team know significantly more about football than NYers do.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, kmnj said:

juju is not a stud wr and that is what the jets need

they need allen r or godwin

Juju is a  waste of money 

A JuJu for less money than Robinson is not a bad thing, particularly if Crowder is released.  

It will be hard to get a top WR in FA.  They tend to get traded, and it is too soon for the Jets to do that (see when the Bills traded for Diggs).   The best way to get a WR1 is to draft one, even if 2nd round or lower.  But if the Jets trade for Watson and have no draft picks, there will be no way to get a WR1-no picks to take 1, no picks to draft one, and no picks to trade for one. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, varjet said:

A JuJu for less money than Robinson is not a bad thing, particularly if Crowder is released.  

It will be hard to get a top WR in FA.  They tend to get traded, and it is too soon for the Jets to do that (see when the Bills traded for Diggs).   The best way to get a WR1 is to draft one, even if 2nd round or lower.  But if the Jets trade for Watson and have no draft picks, there will be no way to get a WR1-no picks to take 1, no picks to draft one, and no picks to trade for one. 

I would rather keep crowder and sign hunter henry at te as Joe gave the jets trash tight ends in griffin and herndon-griffin bot paid 4 mill guaranteed and was slightly more productive then I was on my couch