JuJu Smith-Schuster “unlikely” to accept offer to stay

if we keep Sam or draft one then we need a top WR.

if we get Watson i like Curtis Samuel. 

24 yr old, 77 rec 851 yds. he even got 200 yds out of the backfield. Watson would make him look like Robinson. and he would be about 5 mil cheaper than the top guys.

besides i dont see JD paying top dollar for anything

I'd prefer Golloday if he hits the market and then draft a slot receiver, like Rondale Moore. Keep Crowder around for the year and suddenly a Golloday-Mims-Crowder-Moore WR tandem is almost exciting. 

Golloday at 18m is better value than whatever Juju will look for. If no Golloday, Juju is fine. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

I'd prefer Golloday if he hits the market and then draft a slot receiver, like Rondale Moore. Keep Crowder around for the year and suddenly a Golloday-Mims-Crowder-Moore WR tandem is almost exciting. 

Golloday at 18m is better value than whatever Juju will look for. If no Golloday, Juju is fine. 

Draft Kyle Pitts and sign Corey Davis or TY Hilton

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Trying to think of a smart team that gave out a large contract to a WR free agent.....  anyone ?

Keenan Allen and Mike Evans?

Robinson for the bears was solid too but looks terrible because of QB play. 

but I see what you’re saying, and I agree for the most part. 

Since there are several articles linking the Jets to Juju, and there are varying opinions from the board about wanting or not wanting him, I think adding a little context may help. If you had to pursue Juju, what would the opening offer and max contract you would offer?  If you think he sucks, that's fine, but he'd still be an upgrade for the WR corps. I'll go first.

Initial: 3 years 11.5M APY

Max: 4 years 13.5M APY

Crowder got 9.5M APY 2 years ago for comparison. It's also a good possibility some players bet on themselves on a short term deal with expectation of new TV money coming in.

I would rather trade for Gallup, and grab a slot WR in the draft, but Id be ok with Juju, Mims, draftee as the primaries.

5 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

Since there are several articles linking the Jets to Juju, and there are varying opinions from the board about wanting or not wanting him, I think adding a little context may help. If you had to pursue Juju, what would the opening offer and max contract you would offer?  If you think he sucks, that's fine, but he'd still be an upgrade for the WR corps. I'll go first.

Initial: 3 years 11.5M APY

Max: 4 years 13.5M APY

Crowder got 9.5M APY 2 years ago for comparison. It's also a good possibility some players bet on themselves on a short term deal with expectation of new TV money coming in.

I would rather trade for Gallup, and grab a slot WR in the draft, but Id be ok with Juju, Mims, draftee as the primaries.

Crowder got that contract coming off 29 catches, 388 yard season and 2 TDs at the same age (24 turning 25). Yes he had his season cut short due to INJ.

I do agree with your max pay. That's truely his worth especially in extension talk, however not on the open market where there's a bidding war. I wouldn't mind giving him $15 with a big signing bonus to lower the cap hit as he not the type to get in trouble off the field or INJ prone.

Smith-Schuster has the ability to hit the open market when many teams who have cap space, such as the Jets, Colts and Patriots, also happen to have a need for more weapons in the passing game. 

His Spotrac market value calculation, which factors in age, production and contracts for similar players puts him on a contract with an annual average salary of $16.1 million. His Over the Cap valuation, which just takes into consideration his play this year, has him worth $10.4 million. 

A bidding war with a few teams looking for receivers should push the value of his contract toward Spotrac's projection if not a little further. 

Ultimately, the Jets make the most sense as Smith-Schuster would provide a reliable option for either Sam Darnold or whichever quarterback they draft with the No. 2 pick. 

Prediction: Smith-Schuster signs with the Jets for five years, $82 million

• Upvote 2

On 3/7/2021 at 3:11 PM, chrisfaceoff said:

Just curious for those that do, what do you like about JuJu that you really want him on this team?

its appealing only in a "reunite with Sam" scenario. 

Otherwise, whatever - back to drinking.

4 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Juju will turn 25 while Golladay turn 28 during the season. Won't consider 28 to be a negative. But Golladay plays Mims position therefore are we ok being redundant? 

Also Kenny G broke his hip last year in DET... possibly relevant. 

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Starting to think Marshall JR. a must for us at #23. If he's there. Marshall JR, Mims and Crowder not too shabby.

Still need another vet.  Maybe not a $18-$20M per year vet, but another reliable vet since Marshall as a rookie would be a question mark as to what he can give us, and so too (although to a lesser extent) would be Mims.

• Upvote 3

I like JuJu's fit in this offense. He will be expensive, but considering all of the WR franchise tags that we saw, the market is thinner than I would've wanted. He isn't a true #1, but paired with Mims and an early WR in the draft our WRs are all of a sudden decent. I'd like to pay him closer to $13 than $17, but we need talented offensive players and he would be a solid start. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Also Kenny G broke his hip last year in DET... possibly relevant. 

No way he broke his hip lol. I can't find it but if true I would stay away. Also I hope the INJ healed. Hate to make him an offer then when it time to take a physical find out we have to rescind it while the other WRs already signed elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

Starting to think Marshall JR. a must for us at #23. If he's there. Marshall JR, Mims and Crowder not too shabby.

No way can go into the draft with just Crowder and Mims on the depth chart. At that point we better target Corey Davis or Samuels to be one of our top 3 WRs. Any rookie drafted shouldn't have the expectation to start our be a top 3 target unless we obtained them top 10. For me to be ok with that then we'd better had done great elsewhere in free agency.

On 3/9/2021 at 6:26 AM, T0mShane said:

You just lost 3/5ths of your offensive line

Not really two of those offense lineman played combine 5 games in 2020. ( T Brown , R Incognito- 38 coming off Achilles injury) .  So what are they losing as the Raiders still had one of the better offense line in the league in 2020.

Denzel Good( Fa) for all purpose been a starter , will probably be resigned before Fa starts( Will be the Rg or Lg.  It hasn’t mattered who the Raiders have put in at guard , as Tom Cable has done excellent job easily finding replacements.    They need a Rt but can get one in Fa, or at 17 in the draft.  

On 3/10/2021 at 10:39 PM, joewilly12 said:

Ju-Ju Smith Schuster doesn't need Sam Darnold to be good WR here so the reunited theories are irrelevant. 

Well yeah he wasn’t that good last year with Ben Roethlisberger 

That’s why the Steelers are saying bye

On 3/8/2021 at 7:22 PM, K_O_Brien said:

Golladay turned down 18m last offseason. You're not getting him for less than 21m per, likely north of 22

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Golladay turned down 18m last offseason. You're not getting him for less than 21m per, likely north of 22

Fair enough, saw that report that he turned down 18m.

Then I'm not really interested if his price is 21/22, not would Douglas I imagine. I don't see Douglas spending big on a receiver to be honest. It will be Samuel or Davis. 

I’m not the biggest JuJu fan but he’s only  24 and very productive..

I think people are disappointed because it looked early on like maybe he could be a # 1 WR and it’s obvious now he’s not but that doesn’t mean he isn’t still very good..

My mindset is get the new Qb as many weapons as possible early on..

I don’t want another Sam situation where after 3 years where still not completely sure if Sam is any good because the infrastructure around him was garbage..

This article from September Ju Ju would love to reunite with Sam Darnold:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/juju-smith-schuster-wants-to-reunite-with-sam-darnold-on-the-steelers-if-jets-move-in-another-direction/

JuJu Smith-Schuster wants to reunite with Sam Darnold on the Steelers if Jets move in another direction

JuJu Smith-Schuster wants to reunite with Sam Darnold on the Steelers if Jets move in another direction

Smith-Schuster and Darnold played with one another at USC

Tyler Sullivan

Sep 29, 2020 at 5:30 pm ET2 min read

sam-darnold-jets.jpg

Sam Darnold hasn't had the rosiest start to his NFL career. After being taken with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft by the Jets and being looked at as the franchise savior, his tenure in New York hasn't been as fruitful as once hoped it'd be. He's 11-18 as the Jets starting quarterback, which includes an 0-3 start to begin the 2020 season. Of course, this isn't all due to poor play from Darnold, who has shown flashes of brilliance over the first few years of his career. The Jets front office also hasn't been able to capitalize on having a talented young quarterback on his rookie contract by building a roster around him that plays to his strengths. 

With this winless start to the 2020 season, the Jets appear firmly in contention for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. If that ends up being the case, New York would be looking down the barrel at Clemson phenom quarterback Trevor Lawrence, which could spell the end to Darnold's time in the Big Apple. If it plays out that the Jets do want Lawrence, could Darnold end up in Pittsburgh via trade? That would be something that Steelers star receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster would love to see. 

"That my guy, man. Sam Darnold, if we could get him to Pittsburgh, I would, but I love Ben [Roethlisberger] so it is what it is," Smith-Schuster told CBS Sports' "All Things Covered" podcast. "I'm just saying he's a great kid. I played with him so he's one of my boys so I wouldn't mind playing with him again." 

This doesn't appear to be a slight on the play of Ben Roethlisberger by any means. Smith-Schuster has enjoyed tremendous success with No. 7 under center, including a start to this season where the receiver has hauled in 17 passes for 160 yards and three touchdowns through three weeks. The 23-year-old's affinity for Darnold -- his former USC teammate -- seems to be centered more around the potential post-Big Ben era. After all, Roethlisberger is 38 years old and only has two years remaining on his contract. 

Darnold, meanwhile, could be a free agent as early as 2022 if New York doesn't pick up his fifth-year option. Even if they do, he'd be a relatively cheap option with just a $9.7 million cap hit in 2021. Through three games this season, Darnold has completed 61.5% of his passes for 562 yards, three touchdowns, and four interceptions.  

"I played with Sam Darnold in college and he was a great player, led us to a Rose Bowl," said Smith-Schuster. "There's no doubt that he has that 'it' factor in him. The NFL's a lot different now, schemes and all that other stuff so I think that it just takes time. I think his time is coming soon. Right now, I think it's tough." 

Naturally, Pittsburgh will be focused on a 2020 season where they are 3-0 and looking like a true threat in the AFC, but this would be a very interesting situation to follow if Big Ben ever decided to hang up his cleats over the next few seasons. 

On 3/8/2021 at 5:22 PM, K_O_Brien said:

People want to pay golloday 18 m and turn their noses up at juju, I simply do not get it at all.

Juju has way more catches, more yards, more tds, years of 97 and 111 catches is 3 years younger and is a more physical player.

• Upvote 2