wWhy we will take Zack Wilson at #2

But on the flip side;

D. Watson owns an NFL All-Time #2 QB Rating (only behind Patrick Mahomes) @ the age of only 25. 

4 years of experience. 

3x Pro Bowler. 

Career Completion Percentage of 67.8%.

104 TD passes and only 36 INTs. 

QB Rating of 104.5.

Also a dual threat that'll put up 400-500 rushing yards every season. 

Etc. Etc. 

Chances are Zach Wilson will never become as great as Watson. Because. Not many QBs ever have. 

Fk it. Sell the farm and build around Watson for 10+ years. He's absolute greatness.

If given KC Chiefs type weapons he'd be better than Mahomes. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 7
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

But on the flip side;

D. Watson owns an NFL All-Time #2 QB Rating (only behind Patrick Mahomes) @ the age of only 25. 

4 years of experience. 

3x Pro Bowler. 

QB Rating of 104.5.

Etc. Etc. 

Chances are Zach Wilson will never become as great as Watson. Because. Not many QBs ever have. 

Fk it. Sell the farm and build around Watson for 10+ years. He's absolute greatness.

Post Watson Trade Jets ...

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Greensince69 said:

Like everyone else on the board my head is spinning on our path to a qb next year.  Watson?  Darnold?  Wilson?  I have bounced back and forth like a ping pong ball at the pros and cons of each.  I finally got to thinking logically instead of emotionally and it come down to Wilson.  Everyones first choice is Watson but the Texans being the Texans will try to rape us and they have already let the situation drag on too long. JD not wanting to bend over for anyone will let it go to the draft then do what he needs to do.  So Darnold vs Wilson will come down to restarting the clock.  With huge salary cap space and 2 years of upcoming strong draft positions Wilson gives us the rookie contract that allows us to  assemble a team over the next 2 years. 

It's definitely the safe choice for J.D., professionally.  

I know that's what I look for in a GM.  Playing it safe.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

It all comes down to the Jets' evaluation of Wilson.  They are not going to take a quarterback at #2 just for the sake of taking a quarterback.

I agree with op, the day JD said he would listen to calls for Sam told me that have they’re minds made already. 

Remember after the Clemson, Ohio State game JD said around 90% of the scouting was done at that point. I assume they have a good idea what this QB class is at this point 

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Chris Sims says the Jets will be diving up to the podium with Wilson's card in hand come draft day. I believe him. 

Starting to feel that way.  If he lights up his pro day and nails the interview process, it will be hard for us to pass on him.  I legitimately think it’s 50/50 at this point that Sam is back, something I didn’t feel a few months ago.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

But on the flip side;

4 years of experience. 

3x Pro Bowler. 

QB Rating of 104.5.

Etc. Etc. 

Watson isnt on the trading block yet.

Reciting his numbers is pointless until he becomes available.  

• Sympathy 1

But on the flip side;
4 years of experience. 
3x Pro Bowler. 
QB Rating of 104.5.
Etc. Etc. 
If you can agree to extend his contract to 8-10 years prior to making the deal, I'm in.
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Starting to feel that way.  If he lights up his pro day and nails the interview process, it will be hard for us to pass on him.  I legitimately think it’s 50/50 at this point that Sam is back, something I didn’t feel a few months ago.

Agree even though many mocks have us selecting Fields at #2 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I think 50/50 is generous - JD’s lack of a direct endorsement in Sam Darnold was in GM speak the equivalent of a Blow Horn screaming “FOR SALE.”  

I’m shocked at my own rapid evolution in thinking around Sam; he was still my dude at the end of the season but I am now quite convinced he will ever play again fir the green and white. 

My personal reasons being:

- Sam’s own play combined with Chris Simms stunningly prescient pre draft assessment of Sam Darnold in 2018 which showed me that the flaws we see in Sam now were always there.  Uncomfortable in the pocket, wants the play to breakdown to backyard it, sloppy mechanics, poor decisions, turnovers.

- Zach Wilson now appears VERY MUCH for real. Again, Chris Simms assessment combined with his track record has really swayed me.  Even without Simms Zach Wilson had been rated by many scouts/experts as a top 5 pick talent. Zach is damn consistent hitting throws he should make every time plus conjuring incredible plays when the defense isn’t giving him anything.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

I think 50/50 is generous - JD’s lack of a direct endorsement in Sam Darnold was in GM speak the equivalent of a Blow Horn screaming “FOR SALE.”  

I’m shocked at my own rapid evolution in thinking around Sam; he was still my dude at the end of the season but I am now quite convinced he will ever play again fir the green and white. 

My personal reasons being:

- Sam’s own play combined with Chris Simms stunningly prescient pre draft assessment of Sam Darnold in 2018 which showed me that the flaws we see in Sam now were always there.  Uncomfortable in the pocket, wants the play to breakdown to backyard it, sloppy mechanics, poor decisions, turnovers.

- Zach Wilson now appears VERY MUCH for real. Again, Chris Simms assessment combined with his track record has really swayed me.  Even without Simms Zach Wilson had been rated by many scouts/experts as a top 5 pick talent. Zach is damn consistent hitting throws he should make every time plus conjuring incredible plays when the defense isn’t giving him anything.

Many on here like myself seen the writing on the wall after JD’s first press conference and no commitment to Sam. We were told here though that we didn’t know what we where talking about and the organization was “high on Sam” and are going to keep Sam. They told us we were angry because “we were being told things we didn’t want to hear”

No “sources” just simple logic was used and we were destroyed for it. 50/50 is saving face when it’s more like 20/80, 10/90 that Darnold is back at this point. The Jets have pushed Darnold to close to the door to not kick him out the house at this point.

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

You aren’t giving Deshaun Watson KC Chiefs type weapons if you sell the farm.

I don’t know why this is hard for people to understand.

Not true: 

tyriek hill - 5th round 165 pick 

Travis Kelce - 3rd round 63rd pick 

• Thumb Down 1

This idea that we have to pick a QB with the second  pick is wrong unless JD is so sold on the idea that there is a sure fire can't miss prospect available when he picks second. IMO this isn't the case. All the QB's, even Trevor have question marks but Trevor seems to be in a tier of his own  and 3 maybe 4 QB's are bunched together after that. If we can trade down and stay in the top 10 and pick either Wilson, Fields,  or Lance, I think that is more likely what Douglas does. Taking one of these QB's at 2 is a roll of the dice. As Douglas did in the second round last season,  I see him trading down as long as there is still a QB in the second tier that he thinks he can still get when his pick comes up and this might include Jones. The idea is to get a QB on a team we can win with. If we can get another premium pick by trading down a few spots and still get a QB in the second  tier, I believe this is what he does.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Cant draft Wilson unless Darnold is traded first?  

Not true. SD traded Brees after they drafted Rivers. JD might be planning to play Darnold in hopes he shows improvement and trade him to a QB needy team after the season.  That is a good gamble imo. He will be in a QB friendly O next season. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

If that’s the decision they have arrived at then why haven’t they traded Darnold already?

Its because no decision has been made yet. they haven’t finished the QB evaluations yet. Once the pro days are done at the end of the month then JD will know who he wants.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Not true. SD traded Brees after they drafted Rivers. JD might be planning to play Darnold in hopes he shows improvement and trade him to a QB needy team after the season.  That is a good gamble imo. He will be in a QB friendly O next season. 

OI've said this.  Start the season with Sam, bring in Wilson, if Sam played better and showed the promise he should have been coached to a year ago, we'll get more for him'

Highly unlikely you keep a 23 QB as the mentor type but could happen if no one offers JD what he thinks Sam is worth

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OI've said this.  Start the season with Sam, bring in Wilson, if Sam played better and showed the promise he should have been coached to a year ago, we'll get more for him'

Highly unlikely you keep a 23 QB as the mentor type but could happen if no one offers JD what he thinks Sam is worth

I don't  think it's  a mentorship deal, I think it woukd be just trying squeeze out whatever value there is in Sam. I personally think he improves. Does he improve to the point the team keeps him, I doubt that but we might get a quality pick for him. I'm not sure we do much better than a second  now. 

My opinion why we will take his is as follows ...

1) We need a QB

2) He's a better prospect than Sam Darnold was when he was drafted and Sam has regressed

3) He's the first or second best QB in this draft and one of the top 10 QB prospects in the past decade.

4) Giving up 4 first round picks and $85mm in cap space for a QB that just won 4 games - and bringing him on to the least talented roster in the league is, IMO, Stupid.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Greensince69 said:

Like everyone else on the board my head is spinning on our path to a qb next year.  Watson?  Darnold?  Wilson?  I have bounced back and forth like a ping pong ball at the pros and cons of each.  I finally got to thinking logically instead of emotionally and it come down to Wilson.  Everyones first choice is Watson but the Texans being the Texans will try to rape us and they have already let the situation drag on too long. JD not wanting to bend over for anyone will let it go to the draft then do what he needs to do.  So Darnold vs Wilson will come down to restarting the clock.  With huge salary cap space and 2 years of upcoming strong draft positions Wilson gives us the rookie contract that allows us to  assemble a team over the next 2 years. 

Did Archie and Jughead settle for Betty even though they couldn't have Veronica?  JD will bend over and will like it.  

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's definitely the safe choice for J.D., professionally.  

I know that's what I look for in a GM.  Playing it safe.

I think keeping Darnold is a safer move. Can go with the “ build through the draft” mantra and then be judged on all his picks rather than primarily the QB. Nobody could argue we need all the help we can get so if someone else is willing to trade the farm for Wilson or Fields this is what happens. This is the most likely scenario unless we get Watson for much less than expected. More I think about it can’t see Joe tying himself to one of those QBs at two, unless they wow him at their pro days. Like really wow him. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

You aren’t giving Deshaun Watson KC Chiefs type weapons if you sell the farm.

I don’t know why this is hard for people to understand.

Yes, you still are able to. Why is it hard to comprehend that we have 80 million in cap space and players will want to play with Watson? We have the money, will have the QB, they will want to come. So we'll have a #1 WR, Mims, Crowder, Herndon and another rookie pick. We have a #2, two 3s and a pick (most likely a second) for Sam. How would Watson, Robinson, Mims and Crowder look on the field together, with a rookie RB (3rd round), Herndon and a solid line with a new guard or center (GB) and a OL in the draft. All is possible even if we send those 1st round picks away. This is why you stockpile picks - for a generational QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

11 hours ago, Greensince69 said:

Any of the rookie QBs do that and I think our FO brain trust is waiting to see them in action on their pro-day before making that decision.  Shouldn't we? 

52 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think keeping Darnold is a safer move. Can go with the “ build through the draft” mantra and then be judged on all his picks rather than primarily the QB. Nobody could argue we need all the help we can get so if someone else is willing to trade the farm for Wilson or Fields this is what happens. This is the most likely scenario unless we get Watson for much less than expected. More I think about it can’t see Joe tying himself to one of those QBs at two, unless they wow him at their pro days. Like really wow him. 

I respectfully disagree.  There is nothing safe about retaining a bust 3-year veteran QB when sitting at the #2 pick for what be our only time in the next 10-15 years or longer.  #2 picks do not grow on trees.  The last time the Jets picked this high was 1996 (25 years ago).

Standing pat with Darnold and building around him keeps the clock and evluation period on J.D. active.  He gets no more time to "build", he's already in his third season here (and owns a 9-25 record as a General Manager so far, with mostly questionable or unproductive FA signings and draft picks to-date).

No, by drafting a rookie QB, J.D. resets the expectations clock.  He buys himself three more seasons to "build", and a built-in excuse if the drafted QB takes some time to play well.  There is no excuse for him, or Sam, if Sam is retained and doesn't play lights out in 2021.

Dump Darnold for a 2nd, draft Wilson, safest (for the G.M.'s job security) move.

Retaining Darnold, signing big $ FA's, and drafting support for Sam means we should compete in 2021.  No more clock, no more excuses.  

I expect the former, Sam dumped, and (probably) Wilson drafted.  Rinse, repeat.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

11 hours ago, varjet said:

JD’s picks in rounds 3 and 4 are looking pretty lousy.  His FA signings were not that great either.  It is hard to build a team through FA.

The Jets roster is currently pretty lousy.

So if JD gives all of our 1st and 2nd round picks to Houston for Watson, like McClain says they want, JD will never be able to build a team around Watson.  And then Watson’s contract will expire in three years. 

Watson is worth trading a lot for, but we need at least half our 1st and 2nd round picks for the next three years.

c'mon.  you can't judge any of these draft picks after one season especially after this past season.  on top of a higher than normal number of injuries, the players just weren't coached well enough and then there was an abbreviated training schedule due to the virus nonsense. give them at least another season under a motivated coaching staff and then judge.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I respectfully disagree.  There is nothing safe about retaining a bust 3-year veteran QB when sitting at the #2 pick for what be our only time in the next 10-15 years or longer.  #2 picks do not grow on trees.  The last time the Jets picked this high was 1996 (25 years ago).

Standing pat with Darnold and building around him keeps the clock and evluation period on J.D. active.  He gets no more time to "build", he's already in his third season here (and owns a 9-25 record as a General Manager so far, with mostly questionable or unproductive FA signings and draft picks to-date).

No, by drafting a rookie QB, J.D. resets the expectations clock.  He buys himself three more seasons to "build", and a built-in excuse if the drafted QB takes some time to play well.  There is no excuse for him, or Sam, if Sam is retained and doesn't play lights out in 2021.

Dump Darnold for a 2nd, draft Wilson, safest (for the G.M.'s job security) move.

Retaining Darnold, signing big $ FA's, and drafting support for Sam means we should compete in 2021.  No more clock, no more excuses.  

I expect the former, Sam dumped, and (probably) Wilson drafted.  Rinse, repeat.

Oooo, I like that way more than what I think. 

• Haha 1