Albert Breer - Darnold/Jets update in SI

Okay?

So now I should base my personal opinions on what the masses think? Many of these same idiots thought Darnold was the best QB in his class and that obviously was wrong. Many of these same people believed Trubisky was superior to Mahomes, so please I could careless about your criticism to my OPINION.
No, just saying you are alone in that. Not sure how much research or how many hours of film you watched on these QBs, but you have a different opinion than those that have logged hundreds of hours watching and made in-person evaluations as well, and many if not most of those have decades of experience with this.

You could be right, we'll see. But it's not a given fact that Wilson will be better, let alone that it's not even close.
  • Upvote 4

if the Jets wanted to trade Sam Darnold he'd be traded by now 

just like if they wanted to sign Marcus Maye long term etc. 

you don't have to believe what they say. Watch what they do (or don't do) 

the longer they hold on to Sam the less demand there is for Sam's services

they know that and they don't seem to care 

maybe because they aren't super serious about trading Sam  

Sam getting his life together is the same coinflip as Zach Wilson making it through life healthy. Sam is just the cheaper, easier coinflip. 

Inertia is a powerful force. 

2 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Darnold may be a decent fit for our offense and may still be moved. So much more comes into play.  Clearly there is no successful track record or connection that binds Sam here. He has never won and he’s not Jose’s guy.  So even if the jets think he can potentially do well in the system, what if they feel better about the qb available at 2? What if the value proposition favors a change?  Yea it seems odd that the niners would see a good fit that we couldn’t see but there is a lot more to it.  One thing I do fear about keeping Darnold is what happens when he throws that first int?  The boo birds will be loud and getting louder. Does saleh want to be dealing with that from game 1?

Comes with the job. He can handle it. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If the Jets didn't have a top 5 pick they would be rolling with Sam.

That's the message the Jets are trying to send anyway.  I'm not sure it's true but it's clearly the message.

That's the 49ers thinking - if they had #2 overall they wouldn't be looking to trade for Sam Darnold.

i kinda agree. i think there waiting for a straight up 2 or 1. i think all the offers are conditional offers right now.

how does a team trade a 1 or 2 for Darnold after what we have seen in the last 3 years. if im another team i will gladly give you that 1 or 2 in 2022 if Sam can prove himself in 2021. but if he sucks again like hes been you get a 4th rd pick. if he plays 70% of the off snaps its a 3. that and over 20 TDs and its a 2. if he gets 30 TDs its a #1 pick.

something like that.

but the Jets are smarter than that and know theres a good chase Sam sucks so they want that guaranteed pick

8 hours ago, rangerous said:

So darnold goes to the niners and garapollo goes back to the patsies.  Wouldn’t the jets be helping the competition?

Exactly.  Which is why it will not happen.

Darnold won't go to the 49ers.  We keep Darnold and draft Wilson, have two of the hottest young prospects while teams like the Pats, Bears, and Niners can suck it.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Darnold won't go to the 49ers.  We keep Darnold and draft Wilson, have two of the hottest young prospects while teams like the Pats, Bears, and Niners can suck it.

SAR I

Darnold is gone. It’s just a matter of where. 
JD isn’t going to not trade him to a team in the NFC because their current mediocre QB MAY end up on the Pats. 
It really is silly.  

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Youre not making sense.  The 49'rs can still move Garoppolo to NE.  But we would be stuck with a player we dont want to keep NE from dealing for Sam?  

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Darnold is gone. It’s just a matter of where. 
JD isn’t going to not trade him to a team in the NFC because their current mediocre QB MAY end up on the Pats. 
It really is silly.  

Silly?

Imagine what would happen if Darnold is playing like a Top 10 quarterback in San Francisco, Jimmy G has the Patriots at 7-1, and the Jets are 1-7 under a struggling, young Zach Wilson.

You think the Jets fanbase was enraged with Adam Gase at 0-4 in his first season?  Just you wait to what would happen to Joe Douglas in that scenario.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre not making sense.  The 49'rs can still move Garoppolo to NE.  But we would be stuck with a player we dont want to keep NE from dealing for Sam?  

The list of quarterbacks that a win-now playoff team like SF would want to get behind instead of Garroppolo is very small.  Darnold may be the only one they would consider.

Hey, if the Niners want someone else's quarterback, let them have at it, we can't stop them, but we won't giftwrap Garroppolo and the AFC East division title to New England.  Douglas would get the Gase treatment x100.

SAR I

6 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

San Fran’s 2nd round pick would be a nice return.

I'd rather have the WFT 1st rounder, even if I have to give back some later/future picks to make that happen.

They're squarely out of the draft running for a QB this year.  Trading their #1 to get a guy without having to trade up makes alot of sense to them, especially if they get back a 3rd and 5th or the like.

Darnold + 3rd + 6th for #19 overall seems like something I'd take.

• Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

there seems to be quite a bit of people resisting darnold and the number 2 pick being on the team at the same time.  unless darnold can garnish a high draft pick or trade why would there be an issue?  it's not like the hare apparent hasn't been drafted with the existing qb still in place.  there's warner/eli, todd/obrien, montana had to coexist with young, smith/mahomes, bledsoe/brady and so on.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Bears are in the process of possibly trading for Russell Wilson. 

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd rather have the WFT 1st rounder, even if I have to give back some later/future picks to make that happen.

They're squarely out of the draft running for a QB this year.  Trading their #1 to get a guy without having to trade up makes alot of sense to them, especially if they get back a 3rd and 5th or the like.

Oh I def agree with this. I just don’t know how realistic it will be.

Waiting until the draft will be risky as the market may completely dry up...but it could also get that 1 team to give up more than they would have out if desperation.

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Silly?

Imagine what would happen if Darnold is playing like a Top 10 quarterback in San Francisco, Jimmy G has the Patriots at 7-1, and the Jets are 1-7 under a struggling, young Zach Wilson.

You think the Jets fanbase was enraged with Adam Gase at 0-4 in his first season?  Just you wait to what would happen to Joe Douglas in that scenario.

SAR I

I think the opposite is more likely.

Sam is "Samming" it up on the 1-7 Jets while Wilson and Fields are "Herberting" it up on other teams.

Then JD is toast.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

there seems to be quite a bit of people resisting darnold and the number 2 pick being on the team at the same time.  unless darnold can garnish a high draft pick or trade why would there be an issue?  it's not like the hare apparent hasn't been drafted with the existing qb still in place.  there's warner/eli, todd/obrien, montana had to coexist with young, smith/mahomes, bledsoe/brady and so on.

I've always liked the idea of keeping Sam if we can't trade him for a 2nd.  He can start half the season while our rookie sits and learns. 

If Sam plays well, we trade him or get a comp pick.  If Sam is Sam, we cut him and enjoy our top 10 draft pick and our rookie is ready to go next year.

4 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I've always liked the idea of keeping Sam if we can't trade him for a 2nd.  He can start half the season while our rookie sits and learns. 

If Sam plays well, we trade him or get a comp pick.  If Sam is Sam, we cut him and enjoy our top 10 draft pick and our rookie is ready to go next year.

So your willing to possibly start the season 0-8 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Silly?

SAR I

Didn’t you say we’d start 5-0 last year?

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

sh*tty trade for Washington - trading the #19 for the 30th ranked QB in the league.  If they wait a year, they can probably sign Sam for free as a FA.

17 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Oh I def agree with this. I just don’t know how realistic it will be.

Waiting until the draft will be risky as the market may completely dry up...but it could also get that 1 team to give up more than they would have out if desperation.

True enough.  Personally, I try to sell Darnold asap and not wait.

But I get the feeling JD is a waiter.  

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

sh*tty trade for Washington - trading the #19 for the 30th ranked QB in the league.  If they wait a year, they can probably sign Sam for free as a FA.

Perhaps.  If they think he's 30th because of him, and not because of the poopheap that is the New York Jets the past decade, lol.

Not that I'd bet Sam rebounds, but I get a feeling plenty of people in the league think Sam's biggest problem is us, not him.

Someone is going to bite, just a question of how hard.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

it just doesn't seem like they'd get a premium draft pick or other trade for him at this point.  the news is just in about the bears making a run at russell wilson and it doesn't sound like the bears will be offering that much.  it's hard to say where this willo all end.

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Someone tell me again ... what offense does Mike LaFleur run again ?

yeah man not alot of talk about this very obvious point. Our new system is the one they talk about being perfect for Darnold. So the idea that we are going to get rid of the guy already on the team when we could simply keep him doesnt make sense. I mean even if we drafted someone at 2, why woudlnt keep darnold and let him ride the bench...its just silly.. 

I think between Joe and Robert we have some smart football guys in the room and I think they will keep darnold and see what they got. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

True enough.  Personally, I try to sell Darnold asap and not wait.

But I get the feeling JD is a waiter.  

I agree...take the best deal now and move on. But, this is why JD gets paid the big bucks. He’s clearly looking at this from a team perspective.

What is going to be higher net value to the team? They haven’t finished their grade yet on Wilson and Fields.

Sam + a return for what’s being offered for the 2nd pick vs. Wilson and what’s being offered for Sam.

I really don’t think he sees this as a black and white Sam vs. Wilson debate. He probably has them with similar trajectories.

I’d venture to guess he has Wilson slightly ahead of Sam (today’s Sam not coming out of college Sam). But what is the long term outlook for the team going to be with the trade returns matched up against each other?

Bears are in the process of possibly trading for Russell Wilson. 
If you want ro tell me that Cal McNair and Belichik's former assistant will cave to their QB and get less than a King's Ransom for one of the top players at the premier position in the league, I might buy that.

But what have Pete Carroll, John Schneider and the rest of the Seahawks brass done that makes you think they'll make tye same dumb mistake?