Golladay to FA?

Would be huge. I don’t expect the Jets to land a #1 WR even if one of those guys it’s FA but it’s key for the scheme and would be a massive domino. Lots more draft flexibility, good for whoever is playing quarterback, etc.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Depends on the severity of the injury, was it a strain or tear of his hip flexor.  But given that the Lions are almost $7M over the cap right now I can see why they aren’t interested in paying Golladay top dollar.  

Ahh, i didn't realize they were in far in the hole. Still think if Golladay was 100%, you have to find a way to retain him. 

Chase, say hello to motorcity 

Kenny Golladay Landing Spots: Potential suitors for Lions WR

With the 2021 NFL free agency period about to begin, where are some potential landing spots for Detroit Lions WR Kenny Golladay?

Published

32 mins ago
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Kenny Golladay Landing Spots: Potential suitors for Lions WR
What's in this article?  Click to show 

If a team requires a game-changing wide receiver, this is the free agency class to find one. Sitting towards the top of the list is Detroit Lions WR Kenny Golladay, who could be looking for a new landing spot. If the Lions choose not to franchise tag Golladay, he should have no shortage of potential NFL teams calling.

As he looks for new landing spots, Kenny Golladay has all the skills needed to lead a team

When on the field, Kenny Golladay has shown the skills to be a top receiving option in the NFL. While his rookie season was quiet, this was expected, as most WRs are their first season in the NFL. Golladay had 28 receptions for 477 yards and 4 touchdowns on 48 targets in his 11 games played.

In 2018, under new head coach Matt Patricia, Kenny Golladay quickly turned into Matthew Stafford’s favorite target. He caught 70 of 119 targets for 1,063 yards and 5 touchdowns in 15 games. Golladay’s success continued into Year 3 with the team. He set a new career-high in yards with 1,190 yards, catching 65 of 116 targets for an NFL-leading 11 touchdowns.

Related | Chris Godwin Landing Spots: Potential suitors for Buccaneers WR

With free agency on the horizon, many expected Kenny Golladay to progress even further into the elite ranks of the NFL. Those expectations were quickly dashed, however, with injuries in 2020.

Golladay struggled to stay on the field with free agency looming

To say the 2020 season had been a disappointment for Kenny Golladay would be an understatement. Golladay came into the season with high expectations that he would continue his upward trajectory. He was coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons and put up 11 touchdowns. It’s even more impressive when you remember it was David Blough and Jeff Driskel under center the year prior.

Golladay missed the first two games of the season due to a hamstring injury he suffered in the condensed training camp. He managed to come back, only to suffer a hip injury on November 1 that ended up being enough to keep him off the field. Golladay only played in five games, recording 20 catches on 32 targets for 338 yards and 2 touchdowns. Until last season, Golladay had played in 11, 15, and 16 games since coming into the NFL. 

Related | When does NFL free agency start in 2021? Other key NFL free agency dates

From his sophomore season onward, Golladay ranks third in yards per reception (minimum 100 catches) with 16.72, behind only Tennessee Titans WR A.J. Brown’s 17.43 and Los Angeles Chargers WR Mike Williams’ 17.29

Lions WR Kenny Golladay is a large-framed WR (6’4″) who brings the size you want in an “X” but gets the volume of a slot receiver (117.5 avg in 2018-2019). Kenny Golladay is primed for a bounce-back and will have numerous potential landing spots to choose from in free agency.

Will a reduced salary cap impact WRs in free agency pursuing new landing spots in 2021?

Due to lost revenue of the 2020 season, the NFL salary cap in 2021 has seen a massive drop. While it has yet to be agreed on, current estimations have the salary cap around the $185.5 million range. Earlier in the year, the NFL and NFLPA agreed on a floor of $180 million, but there’s a chance we see it creep closer to $190 million.

Thus, teams will have to make difficult decisions regarding veterans and how bullish they can be in free agency. Will this keep new landing spots from giving out large contracts to sign free-agent WRs? 

Related | 2021 NFL Free Agents: Top available at each position

As for someone like Lions WR Kenny Golladay, while he might not see the highest AAV, his overall contract could be one of the largest for a WR. Spotrac has his market value estimated at $17 million over a five-year, $85 million contract. If this does happen, Kenny Golladay would be a top-five highest-paid wide receiver in the NFL. 

However, this is all moot if the Lions don’t allow WR Kenny Golladay to hit the open market and test free agency, which is a genuine possibility.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Ahh, i didn't realize they were in far in the hole. Still think if Golladay was 100%, you have to find a way to retain him. 

Chase, say hello to motorcity 

They have some really poorly constructed contracts as well, it looks like anyone they can cut to save some cap space comes along with substantial dead money.  They’re pretty f**ked this year. 

• Upvote 1

Besides potential injury history the one concern Id have is that his skillset seems very similar to Mims (Golladay was a comp for Mims during draft time last year). That being said he is a no brainer talent upgrade and if you can't tweak your system to maximize a player of Golladay's talent we may as well have stayed with Gase. I'd be fired up if we could get him. 

33 minutes ago, Lith said:

Love Gollady the player.  All depends on the how the medicals check out and the price tag. 

He was one of my favorites in the draft that year, but we just had to have Ardarius Stewart ahead of him and Chris Godwin.  Macc would have been better off listening to the draft forum regulars back in 2017. 

Just to blow my own trumpet, if the Jets had drafted the last 3 WRs I really wanted and touted for the Jets, our WR corps right now would be Allen Robinson (Jets picked Jace Amaro in the 2nd round), Chris Godwin (Jets picked ArDarius Stewart in the 3rd round) and Darnell Mooney (Jets picked James Morgan, LaMical Perine and Cameron Clark in the 4th round).

How about a highly-paid front office position, Joe?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Just to blow my own trumpet, if the Jets had drafted the last 3 WRs I really wanted and touted for the Jets, our WR corps right now would be Allen Robinson (Jets picked Jace Amaro in the 2nd round), Chris Godwin (Jets picked ArDarius Stewart in the 3rd round) and Darnell Mooney (Jets picked James Morgan, LaMical Perine and Cameron Clark in the 4th round).

How about a highly-paid front office position, Joe?

I have had my share of misses over the years.  OK maybe more than my share of misses.  But Golladay and Michael Gallup are the two recently drafted WRs that I really wanted.   Instead we got Stewart and Nathan Sheperd.  Oh, well. 

It'll get better this year, right?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I have an unnatural like or dislike for players that do well for me or do bad for me in fantasy football and since Gollday was a huge waiver pick up for me a year or so ago then I am all on board to give him a HUGE deal.

What kinda league were you in that golladay was a waiver pick up??