Would you trade the #2 and a 2nd round pick and Sam Darnold for the #10 and Dak Prescott?

Heard this idea on a local sports talk show. Seemed like an interesting way for the Cowboys to get out of the financial predicament with Dak and to choose a potential QB of the future at #2, letting Darnold start the season as starter. The Jets would be upgrading at QB, could probably afford Dak and still have a Top 10 pick.

Not sure how I feel about paying Dak a ton. He’s a better starter than Darnold with no bust/development risk but he’s no Deshaun Watson. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Are you paying him 40 mil a year?  If so, no.  I'd just take Fields or Wilson if that's your preference. 

100% correct.  Why pay Zak $40 mil per year, if we can get Wilson or Fields for a 4 year rookie contract?

We don't even know how Zak will be coming back from his injury.

• Upvote 2

I don't think this is a terrible option.  Dak is one of the best QBs in the league when healthy and surrounded by talent.  The Jets would still have the 10th pick, which they could trade back, or draft whichever pass catcher drops to 10.  Sign Thuney to shore up the o-line and still have 2 1st round picks next year to work with.

My first option is Watson, because I think he's a lot more talented and on a team friendly deal, but it's way more likely that Dak wins playoff games over the next 5 years than Lawrence, Fields, or Wilson.

38 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Heard this idea on a local sports talk show. Seemed like an interesting way for the Cowboys to get out of the financial predicament with Dak and to choose a potential QB of the future at #2, letting Darnold start the season as starter. The Jets would be upgrading at QB, could probably afford Dak and still have a Top 10 pick.

Not sure how I feel about paying Dak a ton. He’s a better starter than Darnold with no bust/development risk but he’s no Deshaun Watson. 

I live out here, and I really like Dak.

The reason I don't is Dak 100% wants a contract right behind what Mahomes got, and I'd really like to see how that ankle holds up before doing that massive of a deal.   I don't trade for Dak without an extension in place, and I don't give him 300+ million without knowing how he does on his new ankle.

24 minutes ago, Alka said:

100% correct.  Why pay Zak $40 mil per year, if we can get Wilson or Fields for a 4 year rookie contract?

We don't even know how Zak will be coming back from his injury.

That and while I think Dak is a good player, I dont think he's great and he played on an absolutely stacked offense behind one of the best OL's for his entire career.  Just dont think what he think he's worth, rather give a rookie a shot.