Zach Wilson earned a 95.5 passing grade in 2020.

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

People who know more than I do are saying Rogers and Mahomet.  Might be a bit optimistic but I thought I would relay it.

Yea, I can see why anyone would be excited by that comparison.  I don't follow college football much, and definitely don't look at college qb film and pretend I know what college QB will have success in the NFL.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I could be wrong but without the combine there may be no official QBase numbers at all this year. Also after an entire season of football not having the combine because of Covid was just dumb.

Liability of a lot of old coaches and scouts in a confined area is probably why.

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Hmmm, I wonder who those guys had as wide receivers? Mac Jones numbers are a mirage - wide open guys all season long. He literally didn't have to force one throw the entire year if he didn't want to. Could have just thrown it out of bounds and the next play would go for a big gain. 

He simply put the ball where it needed to be all year long, showed tremendous touch on short passes and very good pocket presence.  If you are going to nail Jones for that nail lawrence and fields as well and what team did the best when teams of similar talent played?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I have a fixation with Wilson, BUT if I am completely objective it STILL seems to make the most sense for the Jets to take Wilson (or Fields) at 2 if they grade that way. QB under rookie contract is very valuable. New coach new OC probably WANT a guy to groom and build the offense around and it also reduces the pressure on them in first 2 years. Sam still have value and we could possibly get as high as a lower first or use him for a pick swap with someone like Carolina or SF. (They get Sam but still have a pick in first round)

Now if say the Jets grade Jones equal to Fields and Wilson maybe they trade down and try to get him and a few additional picks. In the end though I think we are going QB round 1.

The complete wildcard is the evaluation of Morgan. If they think he is decent  in a Mullens sort of way maybe they trade down and just get as many players as possible and trade Sam too.  

I understand the value of a rookie contract, but i also know that there are various ways to build the team. FOR ME taking a QB at 2 is a gamble, because i think that Darnold can be very good with help and that second pick could go along way to get him that. Now if Wilson is Mahomes or Rodgers, its justified...but no one knows. Comes down to your evaluation of Darnold....i think the notion that having a QB on a rookie deal is EVERYTHING is wrong.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Bit has preached that Lawrence isnt going to amount to much, no one should tank for him

Fields?  No good either.

We know about Wilson.

Sewel?  The greatest OL in the past 30 years.  Should go 2nd, not some stupid QB

Left tackle after left tackle. 

Smart use of draft capital. 

Maybe left tackle at 23 too?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I understand the value of a rookie contract, but i also know that there are various ways to build the team. FOR ME taking a QB at 2 is a gamble, because i think that Darnold can be very good with help and that second pick could go along way to get him that. Now if Wilson is Mahomes or Rodgers, its justified...but no one knows. Comes down to your evaluation of Darnold....i think the notion that having a QB on a rookie deal is EVERYTHING is wrong.

I didnt say everything I just said for this team at the start of a new journey it is the right path IMO. There is definitely risk

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

According to Bitonti though he is below aveage in everything so I guess he just played against scarecrows dressed as football players. Could not possibly be that he had the best rating because of elite skills. Just not possible. He's small. Mormon. Baby faced. Injury prone. Weak armed. Mormon again for his 2nd prom date. Not a Captain. (see pic) Played scarecrows. Weak armed. Bad footwork. Had the worst game of the college season again Coastal Carolina Terrible against elite teams.  Trust fund baby that will leave football. Stays too long in pocket. Only throws to open receivers. Sucks against pressure. Punchable face. Mormon.

Think that covers most of the upcoming Wilson hate drivel.

He's no Mormon. Mormons are cool, self sacrificing, honest and giving. You guys need to get off jumping on Mormons. Not cool.  Have met many Mormons and they are truly spiritual creatures in the truest sense of the word.  They will go out of their way to help you and will not accept a red cent.  Wilson's not a Mormon.  More like a moron than a Mormon.

36 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He simply put the ball where it needed to be all year long, showed tremendous touch on short passes and very good pocket presence.  If you are going to nail Jones for that nail lawrence and fields as well and what team did the best when teams of similar talent played?

I read an article last year that Fitz was really trying to work with Tua on being able to identify what an open receiver looks like in the NFL. Tua had what they called in the article “Alabama Syndrome”. That would really scare me about drafting Mac Jones. 

If really is absurd: 

Jerry Jeudy-first round pick 

Henry Ruggs-first round pick 

Jaylen Waddle-first round pick 

DeVonta Smith-first round pick 

Then you had Burrow throwing to Chase, Jefferson, and Terrance Marshall. 

Meanwhile the Jets are trotting out Chris Hogan and Braxton Berrios. 

31 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

He's no Mormon. Mormons are cool, self sacrificing, honest and giving. You guys need to get off jumping on Mormons. Not cool.  Have met many Mormons and they are truly spiritual creatures in the truest sense of the word.  They will go out of their way to help you and will not accept a red cent.  Wilson's not a Mormon.  More like a moron than a Mormon.

Clearly you missed the dripping sarcasm. I work and have friends that are Mormoms. I was disparaging the idiots that disregard him because of that reason.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, QB1 said:

The way she panics in a huge clean pocket in that first gif is scary bad 

He actually explains that he knew there was a backside blitzer coming so he intended to leave the pocket but his LT caught the blitzer, who fell. When Wilson realized that he had time he reset and delivered the ball. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He actually explains that he knew there was a backside blitzer coming so he intended to leave the pocket but his LT caught the blitzer, who fell. When Wilson realized that he had time he reset and delivered the ball. 

Lol ok in 2 of those gifs he’s in total panic (Boise gif)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Lol ok in 2 of those gifs he’s in total panic (Boise gif)

Eh to the Boise one but the La Tech one requires better feel in the pocket by him. Still those are highlights because they look good. Darnold has good throws on the run but we know he can’t read the blitz so individual highlights are tricky.

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

According to Bitonti though he is below aveage in everything so I guess he just played against scarecrows dressed as football players. Could not possibly be that he had the best rating because of elite skills. Just not possible. He's small. Mormon. Baby faced. Injury prone. Weak armed. Mormon again for his 2nd prom date. Not a Captain. (see pic) Played scarecrows. Weak armed. Bad footwork. Had the worst game of the college season again Coastal Carolina Terrible against elite teams.  Trust fund baby that will leave football. Stays too long in pocket. Only throws to open receivers. Sucks against pressure. Punchable face. Mormon.

According to bitonti his shoulder injury and surgery make him an 8th rounder at best

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

This doesn't jibe with the Wilson is more accurate than Fields narrative.  And I cannot honestly recall a single legitimate analyst who compared Wilson to Mahomes or Rodgers except in the most 'if everything went completely right' way.  It would be insane to anoint any rookie with that label, even TL.  Those are probably the two best pure passers in the league....maybe ever.  

Personally, given the complete uncertainty of all this, I would sell the Wilson hype if there was a buyer.  Ideally, trade down to 4 and take Fields and enjoy the extra draft capital.  If MIA trades out to a team that takes Fields, so be it, then you have your pick of Chase or you can likely trade down a few more picks and still end up with Chase, Pitts or Waddle and probably build a solid team with all the picks.  

If we draft Wilson, I'll be fine with it, but I just can't shake the nagging feeling that this is prospect love run amok and in a year or two the league will be wondering what we were all smoking.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I wish I could give you post of the year and laughing face for this ?

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Because the stats showed that he only had 33 contested throws the entire year. Compare that to Burrows last year who I believe was next with slightly over 150. That's insane - and by far the easiest situation I believe since they started keeping stats like that. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Because the stats showed that he only had 33 contested throws the entire year. Compare that to Burrows last year who I believe was next with slightly over 150. That's insane - and by far the easiest situation I believe since they started keeping stats like that. 

So now making good decisions with the football is a bad thing?

It just doesn't stop with the depths people are going to find reasons to not like him.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You forgot how he's a child of wealth like Rosen and Manziel. 

Also the lack of a signature win. Or combine numbers 

I don't have anything against Mormons by the way. Sam's red headed Ness is a more fatal flaw 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So now making good decisions with the football is a bad thing?

It just doesn't stop with the depths people are going to find reasons to not like him.

Jerry Rice went 16 because he played no one. The jets took toon.

It's not that wilson isn't a good prospect. He's just not 2 overall good 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jerry Rice went 16 because he played no one. The jets took toon.

It's not that wilson isn't a good prospect. He's just not 2 overall good 

You keep saying this - and I just can't agree.

If he's a QB and you're going to take him in the 1st round - he's good enough to take at any point in the 1st round.

Any QB you take in the first round you're basically locked into for at least 3 years.  2 or 25 it doesn't matter.  If there's a QB on the board that you believe can be your franchise QB you take him as soon as the opportunity is there. 

If you don't have a strong belief he's that type of talent then you don't touch him until the 3rd round at best.

Now, I believe Wilson has #1 talent but that's an entirely different point.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Most under rated spiritual creature is the snake.  The most over rated the dragon.  

Just now, FidelioJet said:

You keep saying this - and I just can't agree.

If he's a QB and you're going to take him in the 1st round - he's good enough to take at any point in the 1st round.

Any QB you take in the first round you're basically locked into for at least 3 years.  2 or 25 it doesn't matter.  If there's a QB on the board that you believe can be your franchise QB you take him as soon as the opportunity is there. 

If you don't have a strong belief he's that type of talent then you don't touch him until the 3rd round at best.

You're basically admitting he's a reach and you don't care. That's fine 

JD traded down 11 slots to take mims at value he's not going to make a brave reach. This wilson show is jd hoping someone will trade multiple ones for wilson. Which requires a credible story of how the Jets will take this player otherwise

It's not that the Jets want wilson. They want a trade down and have wanted this for months 

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This will put him at a disctinct disadvantage when all the other QBs combine numbers come out.  

It would be nice to have a doctor take a look at those shoulders as well 

The onus should be on you guys to prove he's good not on me to prove that he's not 

He's played no one legit in 2020, no signature win and his previous film vs Power 5 schools is trash 

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You forgot how he's a child of wealth like Rosen and Manziel. 

Also the lack of a signature win. Or combine numbers 

I don't have anything against Mormons by the way. Sam's red headed Ness is a more fatal flaw 

As was Andrew Luck and Nick Foles..

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The onus should be on you guys to prove he's good not on me to prove that he's not 

I'm sorry--we have to...prove something?

On the internet.  Filled with opinions. By none of us who are professional scouts? 

Weird flex.