Zach Wilson earned a 95.5 passing grade in 2020.

Every time I see highlights of Kellen Mond his style is very similar to wilson, Mond played in the SEC with no receivers of note  but still has had a decent season and arguably Texas A&M should have got one of the playoff positions this year. 

I always ask myself what would Mond have looked like in last year's BYU offence with their O line and wide open receivers. Surely he would be talked about in much higher regard than he is at the moment.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

Have no idea what these numbers mean. Anyone? lol

Me neither - no idea what any of it means.....but still pretty awesome.

People are going to have to start coming around to two things around here.

1) Zach Wilson is going to be the pick at 2

2) He's a very good athlete, very good prospect and if handled well has a very good chance of being special.

Get on board!!!! 

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes.

Those of us who follow college football were excited about the talent and ability he had.

Has nothing to do with support from his team and solid coaching, neither of which he received. 

Interesting, because a few of us looked at Sam and saw all the failings he's shown at the Pro level before we drafted him.

Maybe that's why we weren't so excited.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Interesting, because a few of us looked at Sam and saw all the failings he's shown at the Pro level before we drafted him.

Maybe that's why we weren't so excited.

No offense, you admit readily that you dont watch college football, dont like it because its minor league balls so come on

I'm talking just about every personnel person rated Darnold top of his class for two years running.  Guys like the oft quoted McShay were very vocal that he was the best prospect since Luck.  Doenst mean squat but sure should make you excited.  I could care less that a few fans didnt like him.  The overwhelming majority liked him just fine,.  

I could sight unseen claim every QB drafted in the top five and claimed they had too many failing to make it and would be right the majority of the time.  Its not a big deal.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No offense, you admit readily that you dont watch college football, dont like it because its minor league balls so come on

True.  But I also have said I do my study in the leadup to the draft as well.

I'm talking just about every personnel person rated Darnold top of his class for two years running.

I think this says alot about the low quality of the "personnel people" honestly, because his flaws as a prospect were pretty obvious, turnovers, completion %, decision making, happy feet in the pocket under pressure, not knowing when to throw it away, etc. 

Guys like the oft quoted McShay were very vocal that he was the best prospect since Luck.

Which looks pretty ill informed now, doesn't it?

Doenst mean squat but sure should make you excited.

It didn't really.  I wanted other players, Darnold, at that excessive cost in draft picks, was 

I could care less that a few fans didnt like him.  The overwhelming majority liked him just fine,.

Agreed completely.

The overwhelming majority of fans were also, as usual, completely wrong.

I could sight unseen claim every QB drafted in the top five and claimed they had too many failing to make it and would be right the majority of the time.  Its not a big deal.

Except that isn't what Darnold doubters said.  Their doubt was specific to Darnold.

For example, I was a huge Watson guy when he came out.  The "personnel guys" and the "watch college football" guys all poo poo'd him, said he was a college only QB, wouldn't be much in the pros, definitely not worth taking, not with Suck for Sam on the horizon.

Not liking the guy we draft doesn't mean not liking any guy.  This year I like Fields, Jones and Trask (at varying draft round values, of course).  I don't like Watson.  If Watson busts, saying "well you didn't like anyone" wouldn't be accurate.  In the same way, it wasn't accurate when Sam came out.  My guy (Mayfield) has been ok, decent enough, not a star by any stretch, but competent.  The real studs knew Allan and Jackson would be great (I blew it myself on Jackson, horribly missed).

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not liking the guy we draft doesn't mean not liking any guy.  This year I like Fields, Jones and Trask (at varying draft round values, of course).  I don't like Watson.  If Watson busts, saying "well you didn't like anyone" wouldn't be accurate.  In the same way, it wasn't accurate when Sam came out.  My guy (Mayfield) has been ok, decent enough, not a star by any stretch, but competent.  The real studs knew Allan and Jackson would be great (I blew it myself on Jackson, horribly missed).

Watson...

Wilson...

Wilson...

Watson...

You say "To-mah-to"...

I say "To-may-to"...

5 hours ago, Jamax99 said:

Small Mormon?   6 3  210 ? Average nfl qb 6 2 ? Was not a team captain because they gave it to the Senoirs , he was a Junior.  Weak arm? Lol   if people watch he's tapes , they will laugh at what you just said. Injury prone?   Why because he was hurt he's sophomore  year. He probably made better throws to Wrs that we're covered that any qb in college.  If he was 6 4 and played at Clemson he w be top pick.  Go watch tapes on him.   Only thing against him was teams he played. 

Please look up the word sarcasm I am a Top 5 Wilson supporter here.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Remind us, you were the same level of all-in on Darnold too, right?

I was very excited post draft. I did not pay a whole lot of attention to him before the draft because it was assumed he would be taken #1. I liked Mayfield OK, hated Rosen, sort of meh on Allen. I was definitely all in on Darnold and stayed there until this season. I will never ever deny being a fan. That said I was more "wishful" on Darnold, but more certain on Wilson. I have watched every throw Wilson made that I can find on the web many times including every full game from this year and I find him consistently amazing.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

True.  But I also have said I do my study in the leadup to the draft as well.

I think this says alot about the low quality of the "personnel people" honestly, because his flaws as a prospect were pretty obvious, turnovers, completion %, decision making, happy feet in the pocket under pressure, not knowing when to throw it away, etc. 

Which looks pretty ill informed now, doesn't it?

It didn't really.  I wanted other players, Darnold, at that excessive cost in draft picks, was 

Agreed completely.

The overwhelming majority of fans were also, as usual, completely wrong.

Except that isn't what Darnold doubters said.  Their doubt was specific to Darnold.

For example, I was a huge Watson guy when he came out.  The "personnel guys" and the "watch college football" guys all poo poo'd him, said he was a college only QB, wouldn't be much in the pros, definitely not worth taking, not with Suck for Sam on the horizon.

How someone develops has nothing to do with the original point.  Sam Darnold was a highly rated QB prospect coming out of school.  As high as any prospect since Andrew Luck.  The highest rated QB this team has drafted in over 50 years, since  Namath

And thats why Jets fans were and should have been excited about him.  

Doesnt make personnel people wrong that watched him play to say he was the best since Luck.  He was.  Problem is for one reason or another, maybe his fault, he hasnt developed.  He still may.  Hes a 23 year old QB with 3 years experience.  Quite a few people who count think he is salvageable, maybe not in NY but given his abilities I could see it. 

Again, my comment was in response to Jets fans being excited about drafting a potential FQB.  

On 3/9/2021 at 12:31 AM, Greensleeves said:

Hmmm, I wonder who those guys had as wide receivers? Mac Jones numbers are a mirage - wide open guys all season long. He literally didn't have to force one throw the entire year if he didn't want to. Could have just thrown it out of bounds and the next play would go for a big gain. 

And Zach Wilson was facing powerhouse defenses like Western Kentucky, Navy and Troy

On 3/8/2021 at 6:51 PM, johnnysd said:

I could be wrong but without the combine there may be no official QBase numbers at all this year. Also after an entire season of football not having the combine because of Covid was just dumb.

This X10000. 

Some of the COVID stuff jumped the shark a long time ago, but this is just insane. 

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And Zach Wilson was facing powerhouse defenses like Western Kentucky, Navy and Troy

To be clear, you don't see why this is a bad argument? 

Yes, Wilson was facing "powerhouse" defenses, but he was also throwing to "powerhouse" WRs and being protected by a "powerhouse" OL. The logic cuts both ways. 

What "powerhouse" defenses did Josh Allen face? 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

To be clear, you don't see why this is a bad argument? 

Yes, Wilson was facing "powerhouse" defenses, but he was also throwing to "powerhouse" WRs and being protected by a "powerhouse" OL. The logic cuts both ways. 

What "powerhouse" defenses did Josh Allen face? 

Allen was a physical specimen.  He also didn’t have Wilson’s lengthy injury history 

Just now, Philc1 said:

Allen was a physical specimen.  He also didn’t have Wilson’s lengthy injury history 

I agree with you about his injury history. That's my biggest issue with Wilson and is absolutely a concern. 

But none of that has anything to do with the competition argument. Guys have come from small programs to have big success in the NFL. You have to evaluate the individual. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I agree with you about his injury history. That's my biggest issue with Wilson and is absolutely a concern. 

But none of that has anything to do with the competition argument. Guys have come from small programs to have big success in the NFL. You have to evaluate the individual. 

Good point

There's been many QB's that have faced easy competition in college, and none have put up a 95.5 passing grade and the highest non SEC QB rating of all time. 

Wilson has translatable skills and traits regardless of competition.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Kurt Warner came from the power house northern Iowa and Jerry Rice from legendary Mississippi Valley state..

• Upvote 1