Jets Tag Maye

Ghost

20 hours ago, Barton said:

Replaceable player. 

He certainly is.  Just draft safeties in the second round two years in a row and one is likely going to work out.  But letting him go to save woody money makes no sense.  It just creates another hole and sends the message to the team that we are a bunch of ungrateful cheapskates. 

20 hours ago, Untouchable said:

So Marcus Maye is a “homegrown” starting caliber safety...whoopty sh*t.

You don’t just dish out $14 million a year for a guy who basically has the resume of Jimmy Leonhard.

As I said, we have holes up and down the roster. You don’t make Marcus Maye one of the highest paid safeties just because you drafted him and he’s been slightly above adequate at fulfilling his duties.

Joe Douglas shouldn’t have to pay through the nose just because the coffee swilling f*ckhead decided to draft back to back safeties in 2017.

I liked Jim Leonard.  But he never had Maye's range or instincts.  As for the salary, it is what starters are getting paid.  Do you really believe Maye does not start on other clubs or that he is easily replaced?  C'mon.

20 hours ago, Vader said:

PFF top 4 cover safety in 2020 and the eye test showed it. Some remarkable PBs and INTs. Quiet, culture+ player, team MVP. Not easily replaceable IMO. Tag gives him a huge raise and well deserved. He’s persevered. Sign him to his contract for the next 4 years and let him stabilize the back end. Those saying cover safety isn’t a premium position...ok... it’s a passing league. (And it’s not like he can’t tackle or rush the passer).

He is a solid all around starter who keeps his mouth shut, does not get arrested with a car trunk full of guns or throw his girlfriend down the stairs.

17 hours ago, MykePM said:

JD is totally in the driver's seat.  With this year's franchise tag, and a potential one next year (at a 20% raise), the Jets basically have Maye already locked into a 2-year, 23 million dollar deal - which is not outrageous.  If Maye and his agent try to play hardball, the Jets can just hold onto Maye for the last two pre-30 years of his career at a pretty reasonable rate.  No wonder Maye's agent posted that desperate tweet last week.

With another free safety waiting in the wings (Ashtyn Davis), and multiple strong safeties with ties to the Jets' new coaching staff available in free agency (Tartt and Neal), this also opens up the option of trading Maye if the right deal comes along.

What a wonderful idea.  The 2-14 Jets should play hardball with one of their only solid starters.  What are you thinking?

7 hours ago, clayton163v said:

What a wonderful idea.  The 2-14 Jets should play hardball with one of their only solid starters.  What are you thinking?

Yes, because the Jets were 2-14 last year, they should be desperate enough to pay any halfway decent impending free agent whatever they ask for.  Maye is a nice player who’s generally been a solid citizen, but he’s hardly a cornerstone, particularly given his age.  In my opinion, 11.5M a year isn’t too far off from what he’s worth, if at all.  If he’s willing to stay around that range, I don’t have a problem with signing him to a multi-year deal.  However, if Maye and his agent think that he should be paid as one of the top safeties in the league (which I’m not sure he is), the Jets have options with the franchise tag that they should continue to take advantage of.  If that causes him to go full-on Jamal, then he can be traded too and it’s Ashtyn Davis time.

11 hours ago, clayton163v said:

I liked Jim Leonard.  But he never had Maye's range or instincts.  As for the salary, it is what starters are getting paid.  Do you really believe Maye does not start on other clubs or that he is easily replaced?  C'mon.

Leonhard couldn’t cover most of the posters on this messageboard.  Maye is actually good in coverage.  When he was covering DK Metcalf and picked off Russell Wilson he must have thought to himself “holy cow did we trade for the wrong jet safety”