Murder at Midnight Mafia Game Thread (Day 4) [Game Over; Town Wins!]

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’m also a Miller.
CTM is ******* obsessed with me. 

I’ve got a couple theories about the opening scene - but if I delve into them are folks going to crap themselves and call me scum?

you should be day 1 lynch as a proper town strategy by default

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Incredible opening. Reminds me of the old mafia games where we all sorta tried to one-up each other on creativity.

Thanks, man, I really appreciate that.

I love the games that have really engaging, well-written scenes that set the mood for the theme -- @Drums Lord of the Flies, being a recent one -- and wanted to capture that while creating an original story. While I don't think I can come even close to matching the writing quality that I've seen some people achieve on here, I at least wanted it to be more engaging for the players rather than simply "you are x role, find bad guys, win game". So far so good, it seems, but what I will ultimately judge the success of my game on will be how it ends.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

In this narrow alleyway was the most horrid site. A body -- naked, with head and limbs severed and piled neatly against the torso which was covered in cuts; the most prominent being a single word carved in the man's chest.

"Filth", mouths the constable, reading the grotesque script.

One thing I'm confused about:  If this was a death scene, why is @CTM still alive?

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We haven't had a Miller(s) in a game in a long time, but it makes perfect sense to reveal right away given the mechanics of the role.  

my first game seeing Miller... I think I have played around 4 years so id say its rare

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stark said:

my first game seeing Miller... I think I have played around 4 years so id say its rare

It's usually considered something of a "bastard mod" kind of role so its rarely used outside of JN as well, in all likelihood. 

And this scenario, I.E. a game with nearly all Millers, never happens.  However, it makes sense given the theme and should be fun to figure out.  

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's usually considered something of a "bastard mod" kind of role so its rarely used outside of JN as well, in all likelihood. 

And this scenario, I.E. a game with nearly all Millers, never happens.  However, it makes sense given the theme and should be fun to figure out.  

That’s what I was thinking.  So the bad guys know I’m not on their team, but the good guys think I’m a bad guy cause my results turn up “Not Town”... the fukk is this?!

Very relieved to see other Millers turn up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Ok since everyone is revealing I'm also a Miller. Thought we were keeping quiet about it to protect the cop though.

Seems that went by the wayside, but everyone claiming miller kind of helps with that anyway. We're basically back to square 1 here, except now, if there is a cop, he has a lot more info to go on than if everyone had kept quiet. Either everyone is telling the truth (except scum obviously) and the cop is useless and now won't steer us into a mislynch, or we've got some other townie PRs lying to avoid narrowing things down for scum. If its the latter, the cop is really hunting for anyone he can confirm as innocent, which would be a nice little twist.

As of now I trust CTM's reveal the most of anyone's as he was the first to get the ball rolling. Once there were multiple miller claims there's no reason for scum not to claim miller as well.

P.S. I'm digging this game already @Spoot-Face. Great opening scene and set it up to get everyone thinking right off the bat. Nice work.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Thanks, man, I really appreciate that.

I love the games that have really engaging, well-written scenes that set the mood for the theme -- @Drums Lord of the Flies, being a recent one -- and wanted to capture that while creating an original story. While I don't think I can come even close to matching the writing quality that I've seen some people achieve on here, I at least wanted it to be more engaging for the players rather than simply "you are x role, find bad guys, win game". So far so good, it seems, but what I will ultimately judge the success of my game on will be how it ends.

You crushed it already, in my book.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Seems that went by the wayside, but everyone claiming miller kind of helps with that anyway. We're basically back to square 1 here, except now, if there is a cop, he has a lot more info to go on than if everyone had kept quiet. Either everyone is telling the truth (except scum obviously) and the cop is useless and now won't steer us into a mislynch, or we've got some other townie PRs lying to avoid narrowing things down for scum. If its the latter, the cop is really hunting for anyone he can confirm as innocent, which would be a nice little twist.

As of now I trust CTM's reveal the most of anyone's as he was the first to get the ball rolling. Once there were multiple miller claims there's no reason for scum not to claim miller as well.

P.S. I'm digging this game already @Spoot-Face. Great opening scene and set it up to get everyone thinking right off the bat. Nice work.

True. Unless scum was able to infer or was told this isn’t a standard cop view mechanics game. I have a feeling this may be a game with a coroner (look it up) and a less common means of detection. Rather than cop/doc standard issue.

That said, I’ve seen ctm as Miller before and he played it the same. 

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

True. Unless scum was able to infer or was told this isn’t a standard cop view mechanics game. I have a feeling this may be a game with a coroner (look it up) and a less common means of detection. Rather than cop/doc standard issue.

That said, I’ve seen ctm as Miller before and he played it the same. 

If CTM is scum that means he had to be crazy bold/lucky with his claim or Spoot gave them the safe claim and he ran with it. The latter possibility is why I’m not completely writing him off, but I still trust his claim the most right now.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

Assuming we didn’t break the game though.. if there’s other millers out there I’m wondering if they shouldn’t reveal? Might just wind up narrowing things down for scum

13 hours ago, CTM said:

100%

3 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Ok since everyone is revealing I'm also a Miller. Thought we were keeping quiet about it to protect the cop though.

Interesting that this wasn't even discussed though. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and everyone just disagreed with that strategy, but once CTM and me had claimed it makes sense for scum to immediately hop on the bandwagon. This gives them their out for any cop investigation, and forces everyone else's hand.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

If CTM is scum that means he had to be crazy bold/lucky with his claim or Spoot gave them the safe claim and he ran with it. The latter possibility is why I’m not completely writing him off, but I still trust his claim the most right now.

Yea, I thought this was what I pretty much said. Anyway, agree.

14 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Interesting that this wasn't even discussed though. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and everyone just disagreed with that strategy, but once CTM and me had claimed it makes sense for scum to immediately hop on the bandwagon. This gives them their out for any cop investigation, and forces everyone else's hand.

I have to still read back a bit since I missed some stuff but the one that stuck out to me was crushers reveal. I’m pretty sure he did it right after you and CTM decided everyone else should probably keep quiet. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

I dunno. I could argue that it makes more sense for scum to keep quiet, let a cop find them and reveal himself, then claim Miller “I thought we weren’t all going to reveal right away”.

Reality is - at this point I’m not worried about a cop role - there’s got to be some other way/mechanism that’ll enable detection of scum. Over-indexing in assumptions about our cop in a game full of miller’s = pointless.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

why crusher, mother goose?

For the answer, you must ask yourself first. Then grab some ale and quench your thirst. 

If you still wonder, grab another off the shelf. And last but not least GFY. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I have to still read back a bit since I missed some stuff but the one that stuck out to me was crushers reveal. I’m pretty sure he did it right after you and CTM decided everyone else should probably keep quiet. 

Yeah I mean everyone’s free to make their own decision, but the lack of discussion about it is what struck me as odd