Schefter: Thuney not expected to be tagged

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Same. Washington tagging Scherff & making Thuney the undisputed best G on the market in a offensive line hungry league has made it really difficult for me to see the Jets coming away with him unless he’s just really interested in making a ton of money in a big market. 

We have more cap space than every team in the league except for 1. No excuses 

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s never was.

the Jaguars have the most cap space in the NFL going into next week and they were always projected to have the most money in 2021. Jacksonville has a little over 86 million, while the Jets clock in at around 78

Rhg said that. 

"Except for 1."  = Jags

I'm just wondering if that's still true after tagging Maye.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Why wait? He won’t be coming here. 

Yup...I can see it now; The Jets are RUINED because a F/A guard picked another team offering close enough money.  But if we offer way more, and he doesn't live up to it (which he won't), we are RUINED because we keep overspending in F/A.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Douglas focusing on cap flexibility last year necessarily means he won't target high profile free agents like Thuney this year.  McGovern came on at the end of last season, I think he was graded as a top 7 center in the 2nd half, and putting a pro bowler like Thuney in between him and Becton gives the Jets a really strong left side of the o-line.  The Jets have more players they can cut (Alex Lewis, GVR, Griffin), that would give them the most cap room in the NFL. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s never was.

the Jaguars have the most cap space in the NFL going into next week and they were always projected to have the most money in 2021. Jacksonville has a little over 86 million, while the Jets clock in at around 78

So we either pay big money for bigger name free agents and use up that cap space or we are more conservative ala Douglas last year and do minimal big signings and more tack on signings.  

Question: if we do the latter, would it make sense to front load our contracts and actually lock Maye in front loading?  Do teams leave cap capacity available or do they just redo contracts today more upfront to ease the burden down the road?