So for all of you DeShaun Watson Lovers..

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The narrative conveniently changes for the Watson fans.

Before it was "No worries about giving up all the high picks cause Douglas can build a juggernaut with late round picks and all the FA weapons we are going to sign!"

Now  it is , oh we just want a top 5 QB , please forget houston won 4 games last year

It's never changed. He's one of the best QBs in the league and he's only 25.

You'd have to be a total dope not to understand how valuable he is. Players like him are never available if you don't draft them. There aren't many players worth three first round picks, he's one of them.

• Upvote 2

The lone anti-Watson-trade argument that isn’t outright ridiculous is that Zack Wilson *might* end up being good. That’s it. The rest of your arguments are ludicrous, and will look even more stupid than the arguments that the “Rex is secretly good” crowd tried to sell even as he imploded. 

cc: @slats @AFJF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Wat?

The reason to get Deshaun Watson was to get a to 5 QB who is 25 and is under a very manageable contract. Would it have been great to pair him with ARob, sure, but to act like getting DW4 w/o ARob is a loss is insane logic. Also who is everybody? I'd say based on expectations less people got tagged than we thought. 

Also how would we be in the worst financial hole we've ever been in? We have the 2nd most cap space and DW4 costs $10mm next year? After that year he would cost $32-$37mm, which is already a discount to what Dak just signed, Mahomes signed for, and what guys like Josh Allen and Lamar will sign. Not too mention the expectation is the cap will rise after the TV deal is announces which will make his contract even more affordable. 

Is your dream scenario to have bad QB play so we don't need to actually sign a guy to a top end contract? Constantly draft rookies? Whether giving up the draft capital for DW4 is worth it or not is dependent on what the ask is, but to act like his contract would put us in cap hell, or that acquiring him wouldn't make us a more attractive option for potential FAs is insane. 

Agree, OP argument is ridiculous. Other players getting tagged changes nothing.

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Do you now see what a bad move it would have been? Let's give up three or four first-round picks and Quinnen Williams?

Then Allen Robinson and every other great free agent will just come to the Jets because DeShaun Watson is here?

Sorry but that's obviously not happening cuz everybody just got tagged!

We would have been in the worst Financial hole we ever have been in, and I for one am so grateful that this did not happen!

So are we keeping Sam? Trading down from the second overall pick, or choosing Fields or Amanda Bearse?

People Working Sign | Slow Sign | Order Online, SKU: K-0291

Do you now see what a bad move it would have been? Let's give up three or four first-round picks and Quinnen Williams?

Then Allen Robinson and every other great free agent will just come to the Jets because DeShaun Watson is here?

We would have been in the worst Financial hole we ever have been in, and I for one am so grateful that this did not happen!

So are we keeping Sam? Trading down from the second overall pick, or choosing Fields or Amanda Bearse?

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So now Watson is only a little better than Darnold.  lmao.

Do you folks actually watch football or.....

Actually that's not what I said. I said they are all World athletes.

What's the position the Tampa Bay Bucs were in last year do you think if you put Watson or Darnold on that team, they would not have been successful?

Not saying they would have won the Super Bowl, but definitely better than 2 and 14 or 4 and 12 ...would you agree?

• Upvote 1

You think the only reason to trade for and bring in a QB like Watson was to lure A Robinson to the team?

Yow, my head hurts.  lol

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

What's the position the Tampa Bay Bucs were in last year do you think if you put Watson or Darnold on that team, they would not have been successful?

Not saying they would have won the Super Bowl, but definitely better than 2 and 14 or 4 and 12 ...would you agree?

It looks like in your first question you are asking if the Bucs would have been successful with Tom Brady, Deshaun Watson, or Sam Darnold?  Arguably the greatest QB of all time, a current top 5 QB, and Sam Darnold. 

Then you say if the Jets or Texans had the entire Bucs roster other than Tom Brady, they would have been better than their records last season.

What are you talking about?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You think the only reason to trade for and bring in a QB like Watson was to lure A Robinson to the team?

Yow

Nope I never said that. I was alluding to all the other posts to other members of this board were saying that if we took out a second mortgage for Watson all of the free agents would flock here which is BS.

6 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

It looks like in your first question you are asking if the Bucs would have been successful with Tom Brady, Deshaun Watson, or Sam Darnold?  Arguably the greatest QB of all time, a current top 5 QB, and Sam Darnold. 

Then you say if the Jets or Texans had the entire Bucs roster other than Tom Brady, they would have been better than their records last season.

What are you talking about?

Yes exactly that! If you inserted any other quarterback besides Tom Brady on to the Bucs last year, they would have been more successful then they were on the Jets or Texans. It's not that hard to understand.

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

So... Watson would be a bad acquisition, because he'd put us in a terrible financial hole, which would then leave us unable to pay potential FAs that aren't available?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Greenbloodblitz said:

yes exactly that! If you inserted any other quarterback besides Tom Brady on to the Bucks last year if they would have been more successful then they were on the Jets or Texans. It's not that hard to understand.

Brady (or another elite QB) on the 2020 Jets win more games than Winston returning to the 2020 Bucs for another 30-pick/12-fumble campaign. 

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

whoever said that "give up three or four first-round picks and Quinnen Williams" was the level of compensation on the table for the Jets?  That's nonsense and I can understand why any normal human would rebuke.  But there are way lesser compensation theories out there than that.  Stop listening to JN know-it-alls as to the compensation JD would be willing to give.  They know as much as Sgt. Schultz. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So... Watson would be a bad acquisition, because he'd put us in a terrible financial hole, which would then leave us unable to pay potential FAs that aren't available?

Well yes kind of sort of when you take away all the draft picks that we have which was the original plan correct? But I do appreciate you trying to stymie me. However here's some egg for your face lol

• Haha 1

The other side of this coin is wait until the Bears overpay for Darnold now because they still have to be in "go for it" mode based on moves like tagging Robinson and whatever else they are doing to stay on that 9-7 boat with a window the size of my fingernail.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Yes exactly that! If you inserted any other quarterback besides Tom Brady on to the Bucs last year, they would have been more successful then they were on the Jets or Texans. It's not that hard to understand.

It's not hard to understand.  But it is in no way relevant to the discussion of the Jets trading for Watson.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

whoever said that "give up three or four first-round picks and Quinnen Williams" was the level of compensation on the table for the Jets?  That's nonsense and I can understand why any normal human would rebuke.  But there are way lesser compensation theories out there than that.  Stop listening to JN know-it-alls as to the compensation JD would be willing to give.  They know as much as Sgt. Schultz. 

I'm just lighting the fire Dcat..lol

6 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Well yes kind of sort of when you take away all the draft picks that we have which was the original plan correct? But I do appreciate you trying to stymie me. However here's some egg for your face lol

No one has proposed trading away all of the draft picks we have.

No one has proposed trading all our draft picks and Q Williams.

It's like you are dying to pick a Jeopardy! category like, "I'll take 'Things no one has ever said,' for $400."

• Upvote 1

Man I knew this thread would get some of you all fired up! LOL

Go on YouTube and look up W.A.S.P Blind in Texas!

But seriously do you guys really think if we gave up all that draft capital for Watson, and yes people were talking about throwing Quinnen Williams in the trade, that we wouldn't be watching him run around and getting crushed just like we watched Sam Darnold for the last 2 years?

Some of you guys I think your hearts are in the right place but just don't understand how to build a football team.

maybe there was one person out of thousands here that said they would give up "3 or 4 1st round picks + Q Williams".  Talk about running with a false narrative.... this thread is based on a false narrative. Yeesh.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

It's not hard to understand.  But it is in no way relevant to the discussion of the Jets trading for Watson.

Yes it is as the Preposterous notion of many of the posters on this board was that if we got Watson he would be a magnet for all of the prime free agents available.

And I will now make a very significant point that if we took Tom Brady last year and is 25 million dollar contract we still would have sucked and would be lucky to win two more games than we did.

The point is Brady went to a team on the Bucs that needed a few pieces to push them over the top.

DeShaun Watson on last year's team would be running for his life and getting crushed just like Sam. Giving up all of our high-value draft picks and half of our money for free agency would continue the same.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No one has proposed trading away all of the draft picks we have.

No one has proposed trading all our draft picks and Q Williams.

It's like you are dying to pick the Jeopardy! category of "I'll take 'Things no one has ever said,' for $400."

that's cute.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

So 3 firsts and Q is what the Texans have asked for ?  A-Rob is the be all end all? The Jets have draft capital , even if trading for DW and they have plenty of Cap money to field a respectable team , AND  we still have the draft in 2022 .

-The GM of the Texans said they are not trading Watson they have not officially said anything else.. But it is the silly season and JN people love being silly..B)

51 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Put Watson on the team, and they're a SB contender, just like with Brady.

Replace Brady with Darnold, and they don't make the playoffs.  Probably something like 6-10.  They'd be a very good team with a bad QB.  

• Upvote 1