Here’s a an idea - don’t pay any FA 20+mil a year.

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Straight from fcking Joe Douglas’ office. 

In house, sure. 

FAs signed to market setting contracts... Anyone want to look up the success rate of that? Ima guess it’s not generous. 

I’m seeing all these names associated with inflated contract numbers - all with 47,000 comments of support from Jet fans 

a 10000 Tru Johnson debacles have tought many of you nothing  

No

Pick your spots, but this offseason will be a buyers’ market IMO more than others.

Average cap space now is what, low teens relative to mid-low 30’s usually? Plus more guys on the market as teams make space? It’s going to be a weirder than I think most expect.

I think the top of the market guys get paid early and then there are a lot of guys left without teams having a lot of money left.

Interested to see if guys try to take one year deals and see if they can get paid later.

Maybe it’s possible that some guys kind of take the split difference between FA premium and down market and accept deals more like what they’d get as extensions?

I kind of think all fans will be annoyed at Douglas early (he’ll do too much for some, too little for others) and then a week or two in he’ll do a bunch and still won’t do much long term.

The roster just absolutely blows right now. I kind of like the idea of trying to bring in high character, mid level, legitimate starters who fit schemes on one to three year deals whenever possible. Build a pipeline behind them via the draft in the mid-late rounds and set the tone for the younger guys.

In house, sure. 

FAs signed to market setting contracts... Anyone want to look up the success rate of that? Ima guess it’s not generous. 

I’m seeing all these names associated with inflated contract numbers - all with 47,000 comments of support from Jet fans 

One bazillion percent correct. We may disagree on Wilson but I could not agree with a post more. Big ticket free agency is the biggest fool's gold in the NFL

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

WHO MAN NAME THE GUY WHOOOOO

What?? ALL of them. Arob. Thuney. Gallloday. Judon. Dupree. 

I seriously have to walk you guys through this? Some of them won’t sign for 20 million a year, but you get my point. Paying out the ass for the top one or two names at the position. Historically has usually went down like a Zepplin. If you’re lucky they continue in the serviceable fashion. But the number of guys sign to these massive contracts on their first or second big paydays, who then go to their new team And wreck the league are few and far between. 

Joe ain’t about that. 

the last few we signed to similar contracts:

tru Johnson and CJ Moseley and Lev Bell

TACO BELL

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Paradis said:

In house EXTENSIONS (for the dense members of JN), sure. 

FAs signed to market setting contracts... Anyone want to look up the success rate of those players/contracts? Ima guess it’s not generous. 

I’m seeing all these names set for FA associated with inflated would be contract numbers - all with 47,000 comments of support from Jet fans 

I get the premise but it’s 2021 bro the salary cap is gonna be like 300 million in a few years you HAVE to give it to someone 

• Upvote 1

The Jets have $80M in cap space, but some fans don't want to sign premier free agents because of CJ Mosely and Leveon Bell.

They also don't want to trade for Watson because they are sure Douglas can draft a franchise QB even though Sam Darnold, Mark Sanchez, and 90% of 1st round QBs fail.

Just now, chad2coles said:

The Jets have $80M in cap space, but some fans don't want to sign premier free agents because of CJ Mosely and Leveon Bell.

They also don't want to trade for Watson because they are sure Douglas can draft a franchise QB even though Sam Darnold, Mark Sanchez, and 90% of 1st round QBs fail.

Some fans aren't going to know how to act once this franchise becomes successful they will be depressed. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

Yes. 

it’s called managing your organization for sustained success using prudential market analysis. 

not madden. 

• Upvote 1

Yes. 

it’s called managing your organization for sustained success using prudential market analysis. 

not madden. 

I think player interviews and judging the players character along with game tape is key. You have try your best to ask questions, gauge reaction about primary motivations. Someone like a Hendrickson, a small school prospect, might be motivated more to prove his worth , and show that 2020 was no fluke 

44 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

So how do you want Douglas to use the cap room?

well we have holes on the roster in the double digits.... so you pay a bunch of guys with incentive laden contracts to bust their ass to help stabilize the unit(s) while you continue pushing/developing your core draft classes.

I'm an idiot and I know that. 

What you don't do is use 60% of the cap room on 3 guys while Defense coordinators go "hmm, lets double that guy up, because everyone else sucks"

Just now, Paradis said:

well have holes on the roster in the double digits.... so you pay a bunch of guys with incentive laden contracts to bust their ass to help stabilize the unit(s) while you continue pushing/developing your core draft classes.

I'm an idiot and I know that. 

What you don't do is use 60% of the cap room on 3 guys while Defense coordinators go "hmm, lets double that guy up, because everyone else sucks"

Are you thinking about any specific free agent?  Douglas signed Fant, McGovern, Lewis, and GVR last year to address the o-line.  If he took the money he used on Lewis and GVR last year, he could sign Thuney and actually improve the o-line.

Is there an edge guy you would prefer them to sign on a small, incentive laden contract rather than a guy like Carl Lawson?

I don't think it's one or the other.  You can sign Thuney and Lawson to big 4 year contracts, and sign a guy like Jason Verrett to a smaller incentive deal.

I think there will be a lot of value in the smaller deals this offseason after the big names get signed up, so I'm not disagreeing with you, I just think you can do both.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

In house EXTENSIONS (for the dense members of JN), sure. 

FAs signed to market setting contracts... Anyone want to look up the success rate of those players/contracts? Ima guess it’s not generous. 

I’m seeing all these names set for FA associated with inflated would be contract numbers - all with 47,000 comments of support from Jet fans 

a 10000 Tru Johnson debacles have taught many of you nothing  

I'd give it to Golladay. Nobody else.