Top 2 FA Wish List

Let's do something a bit different. If you could guarantee that the Jets got any two players of your choosing in FA, who would those players be? Factor in things like salary, too - you can have Golladay if you want him, but he's going to cost you 20-22M per year. Do you like that better than Samuel at 13M or Thuney at 15M? Give me your preferred names, and the dollars you think they'll command.

For me, it's Golladay (5/111, 22.2M per, becomes the second highest paid WR in the league just ahead of Julio) and Linsley (4/50, highest paid center in the league). Yes, you're paying a premium for both guys. But they effectively complete the offense for whoever the QB is. Golladay-Mims-Crowder is an elite top-3 WR group (Crowder in particular would be primed to explode against single coverage), while Linsley lets you shift McGovern to OG, where he's better, improving two OL positions for the price of one. If that means passing on the big-ticket pass-rushers or CBs in FA, I'm ok with that.

So who's your pair of signees? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Our wish list is the same as every other team out their there they're with money.

I've been hearing for months that we've been "targeting" or "linked to" or "all in on" Thuney.

I think there are about 10 teams "targeting" or "linked to" or "all in on" Thuney.

While I would love to sign this guy, I just don't see it.

Go visit a Cinncy board, he's basically signed there their they're.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• Linsley @ highest paid center in the league (4/50) works for me.
  • Carl Lawson DE Bengals @ 4 years, 60 million, 15 a year. It would be considerably more than expected, but I'm assuming a bidding war. 

There is a bit of a difference in those projecting the next contract for Lawson. Spotrac’s market value model has Lawson projected to sign a four-year deal worth $35.5 million, coming out to $8.8 million annually.

Pro Football Focus has Lawson projected to sign a four-year deal worth $55 million, coming out to $13.75 million per season. Either way, the Colts would easily be able to afford the price of Lawson, especially if it falls somewhere in the middle closer to $10 million annually.

That kind of deal wouldn’t break the bank at all even after the Carson Wentz trade and would give Indy a premier pass rusher on the edge.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-free-agency-colts-carl-lawson-target-profile-2021/

Linsley was the best center in the league last year, knows our system and allows us to move McGovern to RG where he played his best professional football - thus upgrading two positions.

Lawson is a premier pass rusher that'll somewhat fly under the radar because of sack #'s and being a Bengal. He's 25 years old. He'll play the LEO in Saleh's defensive scheme. I don't love the pass rushers I see in this draft (outside of Ronnie Perkins), and I think this is a rare opportunity to find an established one on the open market that might be undervalued simply because the sacks don't represent the amount of pressure this dude routinely applies. He and Quinnen can make this defense work. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I think the issue is, we're Jet fans.

None of these guys are Jet fans.  They are "me" fans.

Money, geography, family, money, fit, money, competitivness then...money.

Yeah, we have a lot.  But so do about 10 other teams.

I'm not sure you're quite grasping the concept of this thread, my man

• Haha 3

If I can only choose two, then Golladay and Linsley.

The original post pretty much sums it up.

Golladay is a legit #1 receiver with great hands, a huge catch radius and thrives in those 50/50 contested situations.

And signing Linsley would essentially improve two positions along the OL by allowing McGovern to slide back over to RG where he played his best ball in Denver. 

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If I can only choose two, then Golladay and Linsley.

The original post pretty much sums it up.

Golladay is a legit #1 receiver with great hands, a huge catch radius and thrives in those 50/50 contested situations.

And signing Linsley would essentially improve two positions along the OL by allowing McGovern to slide back over to RG where he played his best ball in Denver. 

Golladay and Linsley.  Trade down and draft Pitts.  Golladay, Mims, Crowder, Pitts.  Roll with Sam at QB and give him these weapons.  Linsley improves the OL.  If Sam steps up, this core would drastically improve the offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

At what prices?

To me, a wish list is regardless of variables.

If cost is a variable, so is need, contingencies of other positions fill via draft, etc. domino effect.

Pure wish list: Godwin + Thuney

Problem here is, Godwin would come with big cost and Thuney is gonna get paid like a tackle. Not ideal for a building franchise likely to start anew at QB.

Strategic: Linsley + Josh Reynolds

I like this because no matter who we snap in at WB they need targets and protection. Reynolds can ball. He’ll be cheaper than the big names, and leaves us cap to fill other holes with mid-range FA talent. Linsley improves 2 positions C and move McGovern to OG. Less sexy, more pragmatic and tied to the idea of building they the draft - neither of these guys are long term ‘answers’ but help right away. 

5 minutes ago, bd71 said:

Golladay and Linsley.  Trade down and draft Pitts.  Golladay, Mims, Crowder, Pitts.  Roll with Sam at QB and give him these weapons.  Linsley improves the OL.  If Sam steps up, this core would drastically improve the offense.

I agree

But at the end of the day, I think Douglas decides to reset at the QB position and drafts Wilson.

In that case, I’d see how San Fran feels about a package of Darnold and #23 for #12.

Could put the Jets in position for someone like Slater, one of the top CB’s, maybe even Pitts, etc.

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

yes.....we need to build the oline to be as good as we can possibly make it

I don't expect the Jets to sign both. I'd be thrilled with either, but it's a personal wish list so give me the two of them. 

A more considered use of resources may be to sign one, and draft a rookie IOL. But it's rare to have two stellar linemen shake free. These two could have the impact Faneca and Woody did back in the day. 

I don't want to go into the draft needing to find a pass rusher. It's been years since we've had one. Priority 1a, 1b. Pass rusher. High caliber guard. We can draft a center, or stick with Mcgovern. He got off to a very slow start, but played well the second half of the season.

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:
  • Linsley @ highest paid center in the league (4/50) works for me.
  • Carl Lawson DE Bengals @ 4 years, 60 million, 15 a year. It would be considerably more than expected, but I'm assuming a bidding war. 

Linsley was the best center in the league last year, knows our system and allow us to move McGovern to RG where he played his best professional football - thus upgrading two positions.

Lawson is a premier pass rusher that'll somewhat fly under the radar because of sack #'s and being a Bengal. He's 25 years old. He'll play the LEO in Saleh's defensive scheme. I don't love the pass rushers I see in this draft (outside of Ronnie Perkins), and I think this is a rare opportunity to find an established one on the open market that might be undervalued simply because the sacks don't represent the amount of pressure this dude routinely applies. He and Quinnen can make this defense work. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Lawson - Last time we had a pass rusher, Max was still in diapers. 

Either Linsley or Thuney. 

The game of football is constantly evolving. One thing that is constant is football will always be won in the trenches. Build your offensive and defensive line. That is priority. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1