Without a #1 receiver, an upgrade to the offensive line, and a top flight running back, this offseason will be a failure!

I'm looking at the wide receivers from other teams get franchised, and I can't help but think that if we don't get a #1 wide receiver in free agency, then the Jets must get one in the draft. Yes, I am in favor of acquiring more draft picks by moving down from the #2 spot, but I don't think we can trade below the #8 spot if we want to secure the wide receiver we have to get if not before then.

If we keep Perriman, then to me he is a #4 wide receiver, since he seems to always be hurt, and no one will mistake him for a #1 wide receiver.

We whiffed on a couple of offensive linemen in free agency last year, mostly because JD went cheap with short-term deals on players who needed to prove themselves but didn't.

What does this all mean?  It means to me that the Jets cannot afford to trade for Watson, or even pick up a QB with the #2 pick in the draft, unless we hit really good on free agency, or we will definitely suck again in 2021.

There has been no "expert" out there in any realm that doesn't think that this Jets current roster is void of talent, and there is consensus that our roster as it currently stands may be the worst in the NFL.

Time to come back to reality!  JD may be forced to give Darnold another shot!  But Darnold will not be able to be evaluated properly in year #4, unless the offense is boosted up big time.  Maccagnan focused on Darnold and defense, defense and more defense.  The Jets got worse, worse and worst.  Darnold went from being the franchise QB to being broken.  Time to focus on offense, and change the story line.

I think it all comes down to free agency!  Sink or swim, and if we sink, then the draft becomes vital to get back to respectability.

• Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 2
Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

That is why we will probably sign Tuney, draft a stud receiver at 23 and travis Etienne at 34.

All stud receivers will be gone by #23.  #1 wide receivers don't grow on trees.  Please tell me, when was the last time we drafted a #1 wide receiver, or signed a "young" #1 wide receiver in free agency.  don't tell me Brandon Marshall, since he was 31 years old when we got him.

20 years ago?  No more excuses!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
4 minutes ago, slats said:

This team has way too many holes to spend on a "top flight RB," especially when they'll be running a system street free agents have thrived in. 

OL & WR? Yes please. 

I agree with you.  But the Jets need playmakers, and I place more value right now on a running back who can be an outlet for 3rd down out of the backfield who can catch a pass and make a first down, then I do a cornerback or another hopeful edge pass rusher in the 2nd or 3rd round.  We got Zabari in the 3rd round, and I would have preferred a higher-end running back who would have made a much bigger impact.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Jetluv58 said:

We need to get Aaron Jones from the Packers since they chose not to tag him.

He's a great player but we shouldn't break the bank for a running back. 

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Ty Johnson is going to excel in this new system. 

t's also going to help when these coaches put our best players on the field instead of sitting a talented youngster behind a veteran compiler.

I can't disagree with you. Johnson has shown the most promise. Gases inexplicable choice of not using the youngsters, boggles the mind. We truly don't know if this team has any existing talent or not. Gase can never be a measuring stick.

• Upvote 3

I wonder if Joe Douglas is interested in trading for Odell Beckham Jr.? He's about the same age as Crowder, and makes 4,500,000 more than him. Could we swap those receivers? I know a lot of people don't like OBJ, but I think he's still better than Crowder. Perhaps you do this trade only if you get Deshaun Watson. I wouldn't want to pair OBJ with a rookie quarterback. 

What is the 2022 qb draft class like? We can use this draft to really stack our key position players and then next year with 2 first can be in good shape to add our franchise quarterback,  especially if we trade out of 2 and add another first round pick next year.. let's not put all eggs in one basket for this year !!

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Alka said:

All stud receivers will be gone by #23.  #1 wide receivers don't grow on trees.  Please tell me, when was the last time we drafted a #1 wide receiver, or signed a "young" #1 wide receiver in free agency.  don't tell me Brandon Marshall, since he was 31 years old when we got him.

A guy like Brandon Marshall would be a great pick up this offseason.  

12 minutes ago, Alka said:

I agree with you.  But the Jets need playmakers, and I place more value right now on a running back who can be an outlet for 3rd down out of the backfield who can catch a pass and make a first down, then I do a cornerback or another hopeful edge pass rusher in the 2nd or 3rd round.  We got Zabari in the 3rd round, and I would have preferred a higher-end running back who would have made a much bigger impact.

As far as playmakers go, the focus has to be on the WR position where the Jets fielded crap most of last year. They need a stable of WRs so that when two or three get hurt, they still have the bodies behind them to field NFL caliber players. Marshall and Decker still have fans praising the talents of Ryan Fitzpatrick. That was the last time this team had receivers. 

Mims is promising. Add a top FA and hit the position again in the first three rounds - maybe in the first if JD can trade into the range where one of the top three guys will still be there. Maybe again later, especially if he trades down and collects even more picks. 

I'd put TE at a higher priority than RB. It's a bigger hole on the roster, and the right TE could really stir the drink in this offense. 

They need defensive help at the premium positions as well; CB & Edge. Premium picks need to be used on premium positions, especially on a roster devoid of those premium players. 

Perine, Johnson, a mid/late pick, etc., forming a committee. That'll be fine this year. 

• Upvote 4
14 minutes ago, prime21 said:

KG will cost but we need a #1 WR.  This will allow us to focus on other areas of need in the draft.  

The Miami Herald reports that Golladay is likely to sign with the Dolphins or the Giants.

Regardless of whether that's true, there's going to be a lot of competition. 

11 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

We need to get Aaron Jones from the Packers since they chose not to tag him.

The Jets need to improve the running game by forcing teams to defend against the pass.  All of our resources spent on offense need to go into the passing game.  QB, WR, OL.

1 minute ago, slats said:

As far as playmakers go, the focus has to be on the WR position where the Jets fielded crap most of last year. They need a stable of WRs so that when two or three get hurt, they still have the bodies behind them to field NFL caliber players. Marshall and Decker still have fans praising the talents of Ryan Fitzpatrick. That was the last time this team had receivers. 

Mims is promising. Add a top FA and hit the position again in the first three rounds - maybe in the first if JD can trade into the range where one of the top three guys will still be there. Maybe again later, especially if he trades down and collects even more picks. 

I'd put TE at a higher priority than RB. It's a bigger hole on the roster, and the right TE could really stir the drink in this offense. 

They need defensive help at the premium positions as well; CB & Edge. Premium picks need to be used on premium positions, especially on a roster devoid of those premium players. 

Perine, Johnson, a mid/late pick, etc., forming a committee. That'll be fine this year. 

Agreed 100%

Frankly, I’m not even sure if the Jets will use a draft pick at all on the RB position.

I’d probably put my money on Douglas signing a relatively cheap, young vet like Jamaal Williams or Matt Breida after the initial wave of FA to pair with Johnson and Perine.

• Upvote 2
26 minutes ago, Alka said:

If by stud, you mean the big-3, then yes, they will be gone.

But if you can find a 'stud' in the next tier of (roughly) Bateman, Moore, Toney, Marshall, then you will have options at #23, possibly even at #34.  The two best WRs in last year's draft were not in that year's big-3.  All anyone talked about was Jeudy, Lamb and Ruggs.  Then  Justin Jefferson and Chase Claypool made them all look like JAGs.  I love the big-3 this year more than last year's but I still think there is talent to be found in the next group.  One of them, paired with a hopefully healthy Mims, should help erase the memory of last season.

Don't get me wrong.  I'd LOVE to see us sign Golladay.  But I don't think if we miss out, we are forced to use our #2 pick to take a WR.  As much as I'd love to trade down a bit and grab Chase or Waddle, I don't think it's an absolute must.

• Upvote 2
39 minutes ago, Alka said:

Um, all of the big number 1 wrs you want in free agency juju, robinson, golladay were 2nd and 3rd round picks.

There will be a wr stud for us to take at 23 and that is what we will do.

• Upvote 3
39 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That is why we will probably sign Tuney, draft a stud receiver at 23 and travis Etienne at 34.

There won't be any true surefire stud WR's at #23 and Travis Etienne is likely to be gone by #34.

There are three true, legit, stud WR's.  They're all likely gone in the top 15 picks (likely even sooner).

The two top RB's may both be gone before the end of the first round.

Worst of all:  If we draft QB at #2, I have legit fear than the Defense-first minded Saleh will start pressing JD to select EDGE and not offense.

My biggest fear for 2021 is a repeat of the Sam Era:  Have a QB, give him piss all to work with at WR, RB and O-line, while stockpiling #1 pick Defensive Players, and trying to win games 9-6 every week.

WR and OL need to be improved for sure. RB in the Shanny system is a dime a dozen, plug and play a single cut back runner and if the talent around them is good they will succeed. We should really invest heavily in EDGE as well since that is what keeps Saleh's defenses efficient

39 minutes ago, Alka said:

This kind of thinking results in reaching for a receiver or way overpaying someone like Golladay.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, slats said:

Marshall and Decker still have fans praising the talents of Ryan Fitzpatrick. That was the last time this team had receivers. 

You mean the two washed-up-end-of-career-gone-from-NFL-shortly-after guys were the REAL talent behind the guy still in the league 6 years later and still starting and winning NFL games as recently as last year?  :-k

I'd say this is far more an argument for having a QB that isn't dogpoop.  When Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best QB your team has fielded in 20 years, it says alot for how neglected the Offense truly is.  And make no mistake, Fitz IS the best QB we've fielded (apart from Favre) since at least Pennington.

The real example is Sam.  We'll never know what he could have been if he was supported.  His talent on the O-line, at WR, has been utter bunk, including (so far, one year in) the mostly unavailable, mostly invisible when he was healthy, Mims AND the loloveryped TE Herndon (Bet fans who thought he's be Gronk sure feel silly now).

If we draft a QB, he must be given talent to work with, or we're just spinning our wheels doing the same thing over and over again.

Trading down out of #2 and before 8 will almost assure us of getting either L. Chase, or K. Pitts. That takes care of WR1 if it's Chase, and even though Pitts is considered a TE, he can play the WR position as well. That would mean Herndon would need to step up big time and play like he did his rookie year. Either one of those along with Mims, and Crowder would be a very decent group. #23 needs to be the best OL on the board, without question. #34 would be for any QB that might have projected in the 1st that could have dropped. If no QB, then EDGE, OL, or CB. I'm good on RB with Ty, because I believe as other he will thrive in this system. No need to take a RB before round 3-4.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Alka said:

or we will definitely suck again in 2021.

I understand I’m maybe in the minority here - but who cares if the team sucks in 2021 if it’s building in the right direction?

We’ve seen over and over that when the team spends in FA they can cobble together a couple of 7-9 to 10-6 seasons before they’ve got older, unproductive guys on bloated contracts and have to blow the whole thing up again.

I’m all for adding good players in FA who fit personality wise and schematically. But the idea that every need has to be filled is just asking for the team to have problems again and fall apart in a couple years. Patience is key.

The RB idea is particularly strange to me. One, teams running the scheme have consistently gotten good production from the RB position with minimal investment. Two, they often run a committee and that’s increasingly common in the NFL. Three, by the time the team is truly ready to be competitive the RB will probably be old and unproductive and need to be replaced.

If a player matters for the development of a franchise quarterback, rushes the passer, or is a scheme and culture fit I’m all for it. But no reaches. This rebuild is so far from needing to plug holes.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

This kind of thinking results in reaching for a receiver or way overpaying someone like Golladay.

Correct.  Look no further then last year when the best wr by a mile was the 5th wr taken at pick 22.

Jet fans are dying to spend all their free aent dollars to go 7-9 next year and be stuck in mediocrity moving forward.

I cant wait for Douglas to do the right thing which is:

Dont spend big in free agency and build through the draft

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, derp said:

I understand I’m maybe in the minority here - but who cares if the team sucks in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 if it’s building in the right direction?

FYP.

A rebuild going "the right direction" means you do not suck. 

If you suck, the rebuild is by default NOT going in the right direction.

The NFL is not a 5-year plan league.  

It's a league designed explicitly for parity.  A right direction rebuild starts in year one returning a team back to some level of that parity.

12 minutes ago, Icer said:

WR and OL need to be improved for sure. RB in the Shanny system is a dime a dozen, plug and play a single cut back runner and if the talent around them is good they will succeed. We should really invest heavily in EDGE as well since that is what keeps Saleh's defenses efficient

What I am saying is that if we don't hit on a #1 wide receiver and upgrade the O line in free agency, then we will not be able to invest heavily on EDGE in the draft, unless the EDGE player is gotten through free agency.  If that's the case, then we still must invest our top draft picks in wide receiver and offensive line.

The WR group needs the most work, and a #1 WR is probably the biggest need on the team.

I'm on board with drafting Ja'Mar Chase at #2 in addition to signing a high end free agent.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You mean the two washed-up-end-of-career-gone-from-NFL-shortly-after guys were the REAL talent behind the guy still in the league 6 years later and still starting and winning NFL games as recently as last year?  :-k

I'd say this is far more an argument for having a QB that isn't dogpoop.  When Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best QB your team has fielded in 20 years, it says alot for how neglected the Offense truly is.  And make no mistake, Fitz IS the best QB we've fielded (apart from Favre) since at least Pennington.

The real example is Sam.  We'll never know what he could have been if he was supported.  His talent on the O-line, at WR, has been utter bunk, including (so far, one year in) the mostly unavailable, mostly invisible when he was healthy, Mims AND the loloveryped TE Herndon (Bet fans who thought he's be Gronk sure feel silly now).

If we draft a QB, he must be given talent to work with, or we're just spinning our wheels doing the same thing over and over again.

You're actually making my point. The Fitzpatrick fable's moral is that you need playmaking talent to succeed. Fitz was poop, basically just throwing it up in the vicinity of two 1000+ yard, 12+ TD WRs. Even with those guys and Ivory and Powell catching it out of the backfield, he still failed to complete 60% of his passes. 

No matter who lines up at QB this year, the WR position needs to be urgently addressed. A big free agent purchase and a top 100 (if not top 15) pick. Plus more bodies. 

• Haha 1