Darius Butler breaks down some Sam Darnold tape

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to his next two games he's going to review on Darnold. Too many times Darnold doesn't understand which match-ups he can exploit. He locks in on a choice and misses out on some better decisions...like that play he scrambled for a first down, but could hit his receiver for an easy touchdown once he broke the pocket. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's the thing with him.

He used to keep his eyes scanning - he used to play more aggressive, he used to seem like he was enjoying the game.

The Jets beat it all out of him - it's really sad to see what a dysfunctional organization can do to someone.

I really do think he has a chance to to reinvent himself and succeed, but it shouldn't be here.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2018/futures-sam-darnold

Maybe except here’s some breakdown where he’s doing all the same things in college. Idk why the author makes a point to point out everything wrong with Darnold just to say he should be a high first rounder. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2018/futures-sam-darnold

Maybe except here’s some breakdown where he’s doing all the same things in college. Idk why the author makes a point to point out everything wrong with Darnold just to say he should be a high first rounder. 

guy clearly knows what he is talking about...

This is why I believe there is an elite quarterback that is hiding somewhere within Darnold. With a guy like Josh Rosen, the elite quarterback is already in full blossom and it's why in my opinion he's probably the best available quarterback. Darnold will need more work, but he can be absolutely special.

• Upvote 1

Go watch some Sabo breakdown videos from the end of the first season. Sam was doing many things well. He went tit for tat in shootouts with Arron Rodgers and Deshaun Watson.  He was a different player back then, It all went downhill after that. Losing Bates turned out to be a disaster. Who knew?

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

guy clearly knows what he is talking about...

This is why I believe there is an elite quarterback that is hiding somewhere within Darnold. With a guy like Josh Rosen, the elite quarterback is already in full blossom and it's why in my opinion he's probably the best available quarterback. Darnold will need more work, but he can be absolutely special.

He provides evidence for the things he says. I don’t like his conclusion since Darnold was a huge project and Rosen was fool’s gold but the process is documented. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Jared Goff was said to have excellent pocket mechanics ?

as ive now said 10000 times, the jets have not done Darnold any favors, they had an opportunity to draft a young guy and build around him...instead they damn near broke him. i hope Darnold gets a shot with some real coaches and players around him.

Good mechanics in the pocket is a bare minimum requirement, Darnold's problems only start there.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

It's hard to stand up for Sam when you watch this game, the only excuse was who he had to throw to Cager, Hogan and berrios against one of the better defences in the league but he did have a terrible game except for one drive.

The next game against Denver he was playing exceptionally well prior to his injury and I don't count much of the season after that because the jets managed that injury poorly and affected Sam's play.

It's hard for  Sam sympathiser like myself to make a good argument to keep him epically against Wilson fans who have a whole season of brilliant collage play to fall back on but I know there is a very good QB inside of Sam and he just needs the right coaching, play calling and decent supporting cast to bring it out of him.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Jared Goff was said to have excellent pocket mechanics ?

as ive now said 10000 times, the jets have not done Darnold any favors, they had an opportunity to draft a young guy and build around him...instead they damn near broke him. i hope Darnold gets a shot with some real coaches and players around him.

Goff is miles better as an NFL QB than Sam Darnold.   He took a team to the SB.   In year 2 he had 28TD's and 7 INT's with a 100.5 QBR in year 3 32 TD's with 12 INT's and a 101 QBR.  If Sam was on the same planet as Goff nobody would be talking about trading him.  

He was traded for a better QB and cap dump.  Believe me if we could have traded Sam for Stafford sign me up.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, QB1 said:

His confidence is/was destroyed 

Is lack of confidence the reason he continues to make throws he should not make, as the video points out?  Because, it seems like that's the exact opposite.

Would more confidence help he see open WRs?

• Upvote 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

Is lack of confidence the reason he continues to make throws he should not make, as the video points out?  Because, it seems like that's the exact opposite.

Yes a lack of confidence makes you play slow/tentative/panicked. You don’t see the field and you don’t pull the trigger when you should. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Those are the plays that may doom him. He doesn't seem to keep his eyes scanning the field and misses open WRs.  On the other hand, if they can fix that, he really could see a turnaround year because the arm and legs are definitely there.

I wonder how much Darnold would be better if:

1) He had a QB coach on the team, you know, coaching him.

2) He didn't have Adam Gase as a head coach for two years.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

Yes a lack of confidence makes you play slow/tentative/panicked. You don’t see the field and you don’t pull the trigger when you should. 

Yeah, except the video shows the exact opposite - Darnold frequently making throws he should not make.  That's either overconfidence, or stupidity.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

His confidence is shot because he no longer is so physically ahead of everyone else.  It's the NFL not the pack 12 or High school.  It's the old story.  Guy gets to the big leagues on talent and stays because he's smart and sound fundamentally.  

20 minutes ago, Adobolo said:

the only excuse was who he had to throw to Cager, Hogan and berrios against one of the better defences in the league

The breakdown literally shows these no-name WRs open and Darnold missing them, on more than one key play.

Would it be great to have an elite WR?  Of course.  But, even against a top defense, our bad WRs were open and had opportunities to make big plays.  The play calling was fine, the WRs did their jobs, the QB failed.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Goff is miles better as an NFL QB than Sam Darnold.   He took a team to the SB.   In year 2 he had 28TD's and 7 INT's with a 100.5 QBR in year 3 32 TD's with 12 INT's and a 101 QBR.  If Sam was on the same planet as Goff nobody would be talking about trading him.  

He was traded for a better QB and cap dump.  Believe me if we could have traded Sam for Stafford sign me up.  

on that team with those teammates Sam Darnold would be 1.5x the player that Goff is/was. You are just too blind to see it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

His confidence is shot because he no longer is so physically ahead of everyone else.  It's the NFL not the pack 12 or High school.  It's the old story.  Guy gets to the big leagues on talent and stays because he's smart and sound fundamentally.  

Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

I'm not finished watching all of it yet, and Darius Butler is way smarter than me, but his first example he does(Colts pick 6) he says every QB knows that the coverage the Colts were in dictates 1 on 1 coverage to the back side and that's the read.  But then he criticizes him for throwing to that read because of a Lawrence Cager/Xavier Rhodes matchup.   He even calls it a terrible route by Cager.  

I know it's a cliche to talk about weapons yada yada, but this is a prime example of why it does matter.  Darnold makes the correct read based on schematics.  However, he trusts(likely more than he should) that Cager can at least produce a semi productive route, which he can't.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1