Darius Butler breaks down some Sam Darnold tape

4 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

You’re the king of obscure stats, that’s what we’ve learned 

Odd coming from a guy that pulled a 10 year old article, in which the author even explained there was no meaningful difference between age and experience, to suggest that age was a meaningful factor in Sam Darnold's development and therefore why Drew Brees was a valid comp.

14 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

When a QB makes a good play, it takes a lot of people to do their job well to allow for that play. 

when a QB makes a bad play, usually many things went wrong including but not limited to the qb himself. 

it’s easy to cherry pick bad plays for any QB, or wide open missed receivers, or missed throws for any QB even the best ones. 

I think Sam could have been a really good QB but he was put in a textbook situation for how not to develop a QB. Oh well, he made a lot of money and will probably get another chance.

I think it’s in best interest for the jets and Sam to move on. Sam needs a fresh start, and we are too far into his rookie deal to still be developing him regardless of fault.

I don't know if this is cherry picking. You look at every snap from a game and then put together a compilation of plays that provide a summary of what the film showed. He could have thrown another 20 examples in there, but then the video is over an hour long. And anyone who watched last year can tell you this is pretty much how every game went, aside from a couple here or there. Other QBs make these mistakes, but they also balance them out with good plays. The good plays are what's missing.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, TeddEY said:

"Can't put this on the play call.  Can't put this on the personnel"

These videos are an absolute homicide - both to Darnold and to the narrative that it's the "weaponzzz, the line, or the playcalling."  Great breakdown by Butler - will definitely look forward to seeing the rest.

If people aren't watching, the videos show, in a very detailed way, what many of us have been saying.  Darnold has physical talent but just doesn't understand what's happening on the field.  Doesn't see the coverage, doesn't see the checkdown, doesn't see open WRs.

Isn't that mostly on Coaching?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, peebag said:

No, but Todd Bowles, Adam Gase and a bunch of crappy offensive coordinators were the teachers

Todd Bowles was pretty much the Super Bowl MVP. 

I'd need to see some of these terrible Jets players improve with better teachers before I'll buy this angle.  We were certainly told that Gase was an idiot for not knowing how to use Leveon Bell.  Interesting that Andy Reid is also an idiot.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Receptions alone was  your stat? Ok ? .  And from a year that he never approached a 300 yd game . Impressive 

last season, the season in which you're talking about Diggs being his only target... he had another target that ended up in the top 20 of receptions. 

Sam sucks. There will be a new QB here soon. Move on. Or not... I'm sure geno will soon have weaponz and Hackenberg will light up the league if he could just see a single snap. 

There are many tape breakdowns like this one of Sam. Unfortunately he wasn't able to identify wide open receivers at big moments in games. It was often when he had plenty of time to throw. He seemed to be pressing a lot. I think a change of scenery is best for both teams. I doubt there is even a slight chance at this point that he stays because the tape doesn't lie. Reset the rookie clock if you can't get DW. I still think we are going to get Watson.

What I would be interested in is seeing is Sam, in his rookie year vs. other rookies (not just his class, but overall rookies) and how he compared.  This is a kid that was trying to win games in an impossible situation.

Presented with the least talented team - and specifically offense in the league  -on top of, likely, the worst coaching in the league. He was put in, literally, the worst position a highly drafted QB could have been put in.

I suspect his early games as a rookie would be quite good vs. his contemporaries. 

Sam, absolutely has the ability to be a very good NFL QB.  If I were another NFL team I would be very happy to give up a 2nd or even a low first for him...knowing I have a better GM than Mac and a better HC than Gase.

Unfortunately, It just doesn't make sense for the Jets to keep him.

Let’s take the 2nd rounder and move on. 
We’ve done this to death, Darnold is done here. QB’s outside of Lawrence are a crap shoot. I’m not convinced any are worth #2 overall. I’d be happy to move a few spots and take Trey Lance. I’m not sure any will pan out to be any good? The Jets history says we pick the wrong one. At least Gase is gone, and we seem to have finally hired a real H.C.

Sam had 14 dropped passes in 12 games. as bad as the WRs were they weren't dropping passes on him.

maybe this next stat with help. Sam had a on target % of 71.8. that was 32nd in the league. maybe they didnt drop many passes cause Sam couldn't get them the ball.

the one team worst than us, Minshew had 76.5% for 18th in the league.

i know, i know, we had the worst WRs....OL....HC....Cheerleaders....stadium....  ballboy ...etc..etc

poor Sam, nobody had it worst than him.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Barton said:

Think about this for a second.....

Sams been the starter for 3 years. How many great games has he had?

By NFL QB standards:  1.  The Packer game his rookie season. That’s it, end of list.  

Much like his college career, where the Rose Bowl performance drove his draft stock sky high.  I was duped by it like nearly everyone else.  When you look at the rest of his collegiate resume, it was mostly a mixture of “meh” and flat out awful play. 

He’s not the guy. And he won’t be the guy elsewhere either. Out of the league by the age of 27-28. And he’ll only last that long because of draft pedigree and misguided hope.

18 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

tbh .. this is one of the reason i would prefer a pocket QB ... Running QBs typically dont find the optimum target downfield, a lot of them look to escape pocket too early.

Most of the league is now running QBs or QBs that can run, with pocket passers becoming a dying breed.  Meanwhile, your take on running QBs is a blanket statement that really isn’t true. QBs who can run but also can find their target downfield include Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray and Tannehill. Burrow and Herbert looked like they could join that list as well based on their respective rookie performances. 

And each of the top 4 college QB prospects in the upcoming draft are QBs who rely on their legs for a significant part of their success. This trend isn’t dying out any time soon.