Darnold's 5th year option is 18.858M

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/10/fifth-year-option-salaries-are-set-for-2018-first-round-picks/

Darnold's 5th year option is 18.858M, so that is over 6M less than the 25M what many expected. Kind of a moot point since the team would likely not pick up that option for the 5th year even at that price. But, if something occurs where they go forward with him it likely would impact any extension parameters in the event he plays in the 4th year well and Jets offer him to stay on. Seems like this is not going to occur at this point, but the Pro Days over this month could change that if no college QB impresses the Jets enough.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ganggreen305 said:

Bye Bye

I agree at this point. There are enough factors to start over resetting the QB contract clock, getting some additional draft capital from trading Darnold, hopefully getting a QB with higher upside, etc. that Jets need to ultimately between the draft and FA to build enough to start in 2021 around the QB of choice in the draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I know JD must be holding out for a late first rounder, be at this point take the current best offer on the table and be done with it. We all need to move on from this.

Couldn't agree more. 

At this point and time either you want Sam Darnold as your QB or you don't. 

Decision time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, long time suffering Jets f said:

I know JD must be holding out for a late first rounder, be at this point take the current best offer on the table and be done with it. We all need to move on from this.

Douglas has moved on from this. Probably weeks ago. He knows who his QB will be. No pro day is going to change his mind.

• Post of the Week 3

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Keep him .. draft wilson ... best case scenario ... Darnold plays reasonably well to excite people ... but Zach is the clear starter ... then trade darnold for more than he is worth right now.

The last thing this team needs is a QB controversy. 

Sitting Wilson or another QB behind Sam Darnold accomplishes nothing. 

If you want to sit Wilson you sit him behind a stop gap QB aging veteran or destined to be a career backup type QB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The last thing this team needs is a QB controversy. 

Sitting Wilson or another QB behind Sam Darnold accomplishes nothing. 

If you want to sit Wilson you sit him behind a stop gap QB aging veteran or destined to be a career backup type QB. 

Hoping Wilson would beat Sam and Sam sits ... but I understand your point.

Moving Sam was always going to be the case.  There was almost no scenario in which Sam was sticking around.

They did have people convinced for a while - driving up Sam's price - but I think he overplayed this hand now.  

Like many on this thread have stated - it's time to move him.  No one's fooled anymore.  Take the best offer on the table and move on.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Moving Sam was always going to be the case.  There was almost no scenario in which Sam was sticking around.

They did have people convinced for a while - driving up Sam's price - but I think he overplayed this hand now.  

Like many on this thread have stated - it's time to move him.  No one's fooled anymore.  Take the best offer on the table and move on.

This is best for the NY Jets and Sam Darnold. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If you cant get value for him now ...

Keep him .. draft wilson ... best case scenario ... Darnold plays reasonably well to excite people ... but Zach is the clear starter ... then trade darnold for more than he is worth right now.

Agreed.  Also watch some team with big aspirations next year lose their QB for the season early.  Then you can perhaps get a better deal.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, genot said:

Douglas has moved on from this. Probably weeks ago. He knows who his QB will be. No pro day is going to change his mind.

Eh, it's still a part of scouting this QB class. 

It's certainly possible the Jets haven't made a final decision on Sam and are still comparing him to Wilson/Fields/whoever from this class. 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed.  Also watch some team with big aspirations next year lose their QB for the season early.  Then you can perhaps get a better deal.

Why would a team with championship aspirations in 2021 bring in Sam to save their season? They'd be looking for a proven veteran. 

Sam is a reclamation project. 

• Upvote 2

At that price, we should pick it up. We can still trade him. But now the other teams knows they’ll get Darnold for $5 million in 2021 and $18 million in 2022.

Considering the cap is suppose to increase exponentially next year, that’s not bad at all. I think this makes Darnold more marketable in a trade.

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why would a team with championship aspirations in 2021 bring in Sam to save their season? They'd be looking for a proven veteran. 

Sam is a reclamation project. 

He is league vet that would be cheaper than a 'proven vet'.  Especially if the team actually feels he has something ala Tannehill and his resurgence.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

He is league vet that would be cheaper than a 'proven vet'.  Especially if the team actually feels he has something ala Tannehill and his resurgence.

Right, but to bring him into a situation where he is expected to win right away? I just don't see it. He just feels like a guy who needs to sit for a while and get another shot in a year or two when a starter goes down with an injury.

I guess it all comes down to what you think of Sam. I obviously have lost a lot of faith in him. 

52 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If you cant get value for him now ...

That has promise..:cheers:

I believe the option doesn't have to be exercised until early May, i.e post draft.

If the Jets do keep Sam, I think they exercise the option as $23.5M over 2 years isn't much for a QB at all.

If he is traded before or during the draft, the trading team probably picks up that option.

Either way, two years of team control for $23.5M is very manageable for any team that believes in Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I believe the option doesn't have to be exercised until early May, i.e post draft.

If the Jets do keep Sam, I think they exercise the option as $23.5M over 2 years isn't much for a QB at all.

If he is traded before or during the draft, the trading team probably picks up that option.

Either way, two years of team control for $23.5M is very manageable for any team that believes in Sam Darnold.

The Hawks may dump Wilson so they can pay the box safety 20 million per..:eek:

1 hour ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

This is so true. JD said in his end-of-season press conference that most of the scouting work has already been done and that the pro days are just for "putting the finishing touches" on evaluations. He must know by now whether he wants to replace Darnold with one of the rookie QBs. Just make the decision already.

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

The Hawks may dump Wilson so they can pay the box safety 20 million per..:eek:

I now believe that Jamal's contract demands are entirely reasonable, and in the best interests of the team. The Seahawks should definitely do this.

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/10/fifth-year-option-salaries-are-set-for-2018-first-round-picks/

Darnold's 5th year option is 18.858M, so that is over 6M less than the 25M what many expected. Kind of a moot point since the team would likely not pick up that option for the 5th year even at that price. But, if something occurs where they go forward with him it likely would impact any extension parameters in the event he plays in the 4th year well and Jets offer him to stay on. Seems like this is not going to occur at this point, but the Pro Days over this month could change that if no college QB impresses the Jets enough.

Nope. The deadline to exercise the option is in May and if he plays well it will be after the Jets declined the option. At that point, the option price will be completely irrelevant

12 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Correct May 3rd.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement that the NFL and NFLPA agreed to last season made some changes to how that process works. Any option exercised by the May 3 deadline will be fully guaranteed — they were guaranteed for injury only in past seasons. 

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

thats if darnold can play hes out hes not that QB