Darnold's 5th year option is 18.858M

3 hours ago, Adobolo said:

Would you now be in favour of the new 3 year contract? You said a while back that it is not what you would do if you were in joes shoes.

I would just stick to 1 year and turn down the option. If he plays well you franchise tag him and are happy to pay the extra $7 million. If he doesn’t play well no fuss no muss

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, derp said:

Makes lots of cap sense rather than the option. Is your expectation this is something that would happen this offseason instead of the option being kept (if they hang on to him)? Seems this would be harder to negotiate next offseason sans option.

I expect Darnold to be back, and if he is back I expect the Jets to propose something like this. For all we know Darnold’s reps may say no, but feel like this would make sense for both sides. If Darnold is traded it’s irrelevant 

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I expect Darnold to be back, and if he is back I expect the Jets to propose something like this. For all we know Darnold’s reps may say no, but feel like this would make sense for both sides. If Darnold is traded it’s irrelevant 

Keeping Darnold and drafting key players starting at #2-#23-#32 would be the ideal scenario. 

But that QB question will always be hanging over our heads. 

If they choose to do this i'm ok with it just have a viable plan B backup who can step in immediately and maintain composure and keep us competitive. 

We cannot fathom another sh*t show in 2021 and neither will Woody Johnson. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Problem I have had with Sam playing well next year is to know if he is good long term you need at least 2 seasons of playing well and we no longer have that luxury. Wentz played well and looked really bad last season and that is with good coaching. Eagles are fortunate they could make a deal to move him and not eat the whole contract they gave him which would have destroyed their team for 5+ years. We may not be so lucky if that happens to us.

In 2020 Wentz suddenly found himself in an offense with even less around him than the Jets’ supposedly worst ever supporting cast. Everyone expected to be decent either hit the veteran wall, was traded, was a sucky draft pick, or was on IR. All year long all they had was a center plus a has-been TE. Darnold clearly had more, and still had another worse season.