Jets hire head of Athletic Care and Performance Department.

Hard to express how excited I am about this move. Injuries have clearly been an issue and absolutely needed to be addressed. Love the concept of a medical doctor heading this and basing it on speed. Tiny bit meh on hiring 49ers guys as they have not been the model for fewer injuries either.

We replaced the practice field. Now dump the game field which clearly leads to increased injuries. Actually turf should be banned as even domes could have lush grass today

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

It’s called shaving your remaining peach fuzz off, growing a badass beard, and looking like a man no one wants to f*ck with.

That’s the solution I’m going with if I ever lose my luscious locks (please no).

When I retire, its gonna be shaved head with Goatee for life.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Beaver said:

EwOvIN3WQBMilWL (1).jpg

Og, sh*t, he's got Gase Eyes. 

1 hour ago, J_Smith said:

Weird seeing a thread where everyone is in total agreement 

If it helps, The Jets are screwing things up by hiring this guy because 9 of the 11 most injured NFL teams from 2009 to 2020 have made an appearance in the Super Bowl, and 6 of them have won it.

7 hours ago, Beaver said:

EwOvIN3WQBMilWL (1).jpg

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What the hell?  All our non football team is some combo of Douglas or Saleh looks wise, some of them are weird cross breeds of the two.

6 hours ago, sourceworx said:

JD is building the organization in his own image.... literally.

Is there some other picture of this guy other than the one in this thread that I’m missing? Because, uh, that ain’t actually him lol. @Jetsfan80 help these guys out.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

It’s called shaving your remaining peach fuzz off, growing a badass beard, and looking like a man no one wants to f*ck with.

That’s the solution I’m going with if I ever lose my luscious locks (please no).

I havent shaved my beard since I was 12 but now as a bald man, It's even more luscious than ever

Seriously, you all joked at me when we discussed hamstrings last year and how many players on this team were injured. This hire tells me, that they recognize there was a problem on how these guys were training, stretching, etc... I'm hoping this is the beginning of a much healthier team...

• Upvote 1

This is a very important hire, clearly something was badly amiss with player conditioning and preparation, and very possibly practice habits, the last couple of years.

Injuries are inevitable in an impact sport like the NFL but the last couple of years it’s been way beyond the normal and can’t simply be passed off as bad luck so hopefully this goes a long way to solving the problem, modern sports science has developed so much over the years and I just hope we are embracing a more updated approach to preparing athletes to be appropriately conditioned and ready to perform consistently and at the every highest level.

It has to be an all encompassing approach not just to physical well-being but mental welfare too.

on a completely different tack, enough already with the “all gas, no brakes” stuff....yes it was a nice sound bite to begin with but tired of it already....how about an “no chat, all wins”  mentality from here on out!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, varjet said:

This is exactly what the Jets needed, and more importantly, Joe Douglas took ownership of it.  

Tough to have anything negative to say about this.  

I would have guessed someone would have, happily no one did.  

I landmark day at Jet Nation!

It has been said many times here in this thread, but this will be the best move theJets make all offseason. I created a thread here and listed the Jets training staff in comparison to other typical training staffs in the league, and the Jets paled in comparison in many areas. Interns practically outnumbered full time staff.

Glad someone is waking up. Now, get that VP of Football Operations position.

• Upvote 2

On 3/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, mrcoops said:

Jets have also just cleared out the strength and conditioning staff & hired a guy who was with Saleh in San Francisco.

A long overdue move - the Jets have had far too many lingering injuries in recent years.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but Nicolini was also in charge of keeping Saleh from running out on the field for the 49ers.  Here's the story...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Weren’t the 49ers one of the teams with the most injuries last year?

Yes they have been.  Which is why this is such good news.

Gase has non stop injuries. Fire the trainer and make no other changes.  This is good, blow the thing up, change everything and let's work on keeping people healthy.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:44 AM, Scott Dierking said:

It has been said many times here in this thread, but this will be the best move theJets make all offseason. I created a thread here and listed the Jets training staff in comparison to other typical training staffs in the league, and the Jets paled in comparison in many areas. Interns practically outnumbered full time staff.

Glad someone is waking up. Now, get that VP of Football Operations position.

Agreed on the changes this is huge.

I have been a long time advocate of the head of football position. But they don't need that right now. Bringing in anyone else now would be a big mistake. You have Woody and Chris and the team President.  And for once, football wise, the picture is clear...

Joe Douglas is in charge.  If Joe wants help, he should be able to hire help but this is his show and it is headed in the right direction.

I hope they don't make any executive hires and mess things up.

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, Maxman said:

Agreed on the changes this is huge.

I have been a long time advocate of the head of football position. But they don't need that right now. Bringing in anyone else now would be a big mistake. You have Woody and Chris and the team President.  And for once, football wise, the picture is clear...

Joe Douglas is in charge.  If Joe wants help, he should be able to hire help but this is his show and it is headed in the right direction.

I hope they don't make any executive hires and mess things up.

The position of VP of Football Operations acts as a buffer between Joe and ownership. This allows JD to focus on making the team better. JD relates to the VP what non-personnel (facility, infrastructure, etc) can improve the team and performance and relies on the VP to work that through management. The VP also explains football team aspects to the owner, without having to waste JD's time.

This does not necessarily close JD's ability to speak to ownership and higher ups, but it helps diminish the need to have to relay everything, which can waste time and energy. It also creates another football advocate background into the decision making conversation (sorry, Hymie). 

The VP position should have a professional football background. No more using accountants or marketing and public relation people stepping into the arena of on field decision making. Allow football people to make football related suggestions in translation to ownership. No need to hire outside consultants in football decisions related to a team they are not a part of.

Time for this team to not be an owners hobby, but to treat the on field product like a business. Long overdue.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The position of VP of Football Operations acts as a buffer between Joe and ownership. This allows JD to focus on making the team better. JD relates to the VP what non-personnel (facility, infrastructure, etc) can improve the team and performance and relies on the VP to work that through management. The VP also explains football team aspects to the owner, without having to waste JD's time.

This does not necessarily close JD's ability to speak to ownership and higher ups, but it helps diminish the need to have to relay everything, which can waste time and energy. It also creates another football advocate background into the decision making conversation (sorry, Hymie). 

The VP position should have a professional football background. No more using accountants or marketing and public relation people stepping into the arena of on field decision making. Allow football people to make football related suggestions in translation to ownership. No need to hire outside consultants in football decisions related to a team they are not a part of.

Time for this team to not be an owners hobby, but to treat the on field product like a business. Long overdue.

If they already had that person I agree it could serve as a buffer. If they were to hire that person today based on everything we know about this organization it would serve as a distraction.

Joe Douglas does not need anybody else in his ear right now.

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If they already had that person I agree it could serve as a buffer. If they were to hire that person today based on everything we know about this organization it would serve as a distraction.

Joe Douglas does not need anybody else in his ear right now.

You misunderstand the position. The position is there to make Joe's life easier. Rather than Joe having to deal with ownership, he goes to the VP and has the VP deal with the nuances of having to relay and ultimately get things done.

34 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You misunderstand the position. The position is there to make Joe's life easier. Rather than Joe having to deal with ownership, he goes to the VP and has the VP deal with the nuances of having to relay and ultimately get things done.

You misunderstand the reality of the Jets board room lol.

If you tell Woody Johnson that he needs to hire someone to make Joe's life easier, he is going to screw it up.  If Joe needs to make his life easier, he can hire someone that works for him.

Another layer is not what the Jets need right now. They seem to have the right mix for the first time in a million years. In no way would I mess with things.