Jets Going Trey Lance's Pro Day Tomorrow

Jets will get up-close look at Trey Lance with 2021 NFL Draft intrigue

Zero or one? You pick the more impressive number.

If a quarterback is judged on wins and losses, there is no topping Trey Lance’s 17-0 record at North Dakota State. If victories belong to the team, one interception thrown on 318 career passes speaks to individual talent.

When NFL scouts and executives evaluate college quarterbacks, two of the most important questions asked are: Is he a winner? Does he take care of the ball? Lance was perfect and nearly perfect in checking those respective boxes, and now he will showcase his other skills Friday at North Dakota State’s pro day – in front of a contingent that will include Jets general manager Joe Douglas.

“Only 17 games as a starter is hard to get around and the level of competition was not great,” ESPN draft analyst Matt Miller told The Post. “But I thought he made everyone on the field better when he was out there. I love that about his game.”

Lance is one of five quarterbacks who could be taken within the first 15 picks of the 2021 NFL Draft. He has been connected to the Falcons, Panthers, Broncos, 49ers and Patriots and could be a viable option for the Jets, especially if they trade back from No. 2.

Outside of presumptive No. 1 pick Trevor Lawrence, Lance could be the most green, most athletic and have the highest long-term ceiling of the group. In other words, he requires the most projective scouting, patience and quality coaching.

Jets general manager Joe Douglas will be among those attending NFL Draft prospect Trey Lance’s pro day on Friday. NCAA Photos via Getty Images

“I could see Bill Belichick having a lot of fun with a guy like Trey Lance,” NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said. “The only thing that would hold me back on that is I don’t know if he’s going to be ready to do that right away. But when you talk to the folks at North Dakota State, this kid is incredibly intelligent, which we know the Patriots have always placed a premium on.”

Lance redshirted in 2018, won a FCS national championship in 2019 and played in one game in the fall before North Dakota State moved its football season to the spring. He entered the NFL Draft instead of returning to school and possibly becoming the No. 1 overall pick in 2022.

SEE ALSO

The lack of experience suggests his next team might have to install a “Lance Package” for specialized usage as a rookie. Lance is compared to Lamar Jackson by Miller and to Steve McNair by Jeremiah.

“He’s not as fast as Lamar,” Miller said, “but if you think about how he could be used early on – deep-ball passing, use him as a runner and on underneath drag routes where he can extend the pocket and keep things open longer, I think he can excel in that way.”

All eyes will be on Lance’s 40-yard dash time, which is expected to register in the elite 4.5-second range. Where Jackson runs with speed, Lance has power, like McNair.

“He’d get hit by a linebacker at the 4-yard line and find his way into the end zone – and you see the same thing with Trey Lance,” Jeremiah said. “Both guys came from a lower level of competition, both guys were dominant at that level. You look at the power arms to be able to drive the football down the field. You look at guys that their teammates really, really rally around [them]. I just think there’s a lot of similarities between the two.”

https://nypost.com/2021/03/11/jets-will-get-look-at-trey-lance-with-2021-nfl-draft-intrigue/

I am definitely intrigued by this kid; I am getting a "Josh Allen" vibe from him and not the bad one but the one were everyone thought he was too raw and not ready but acknowledged he had the highest ceiling of any quarterback in his draft class...   If they decide to trade down, depending how far, he could be an option.   Interestingly in the article he is compared to Steve McNair.  I can only imagine how good McNair would be in this era of don't touch the quarterback receivers allowed to push off....   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Trey Lance, North Dakota State (6-foot-4, 226 pounds): Redshirted in 2018, started 16 games for the FCS national champions in ’19 and started the Bison’s only game in ’20. “He’s really talented,” one scout said. “I’m not going to say he throws it better than Trevor Lawrence, but he definitely throws it better than Zach Wilson and as well as (Justin) Fields arm strength-wise. Josh Allen was more talented, but a year ago Lance was a much more efficient player. Josh threw interceptions in college, especially against good defenses. Lance definitely fits the mold of what you want to look for. The natural, God-given ability, he has it.”

Posted a passer rating of 130.1 in 2019 while running for 1,100 yards and 14 TDs. “He’s a better runner than Lawrence and the same level as Fields,” said a second scout. “He’s an aggressive runner. That’s the problem. He takes on people all the time. Physically, he’s gifted. He’s a myth, a one-year-and-one-game starter.” Playing in Fargo Oct. 3 against a Central Arkansas team that finished 5-4, Lance was 15-of-30 for 149 yards, two TDs and one interception. He did rush 15 times for 143 yards. Declared for the draft three days later. “He should not have played that game,” said a third scout. “He looked awful. Looked like a fourth-round pick. No accuracy. No pocket poise. He fumbled the ball. He looked like a developmental backup guy. Straight-line type athlete. He reminded me of Jameis Winston where it’s not really a fluid, natural motion or natural movement in the pocket. He kind of has to gather his whole body to throw.”

Two scouts said they’d take him over Jordan Love. “You like the taste, but it’s a small sample,” a fourth scout said. “I like his tools. I think he can be good, but would I bank on it? There’s not enough information for me. A lot of unknowns there that would give me pause.”

• Upvote 2

Lance is the kind of dude that a team like Pittsburgh or New Orleans should make a big play for in the draft ala the Chiefs with Mahomes.

If you’re the Jets, and have decided to move away from Darnold, then excluding a Deshaun Watson trade, you take either Wilson or Fields at #2 and deal Sam to the highest bidder.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Lance is the kind of dude that a team like Pittsburgh or New Orleans should make a big play for in the draft ala the Chiefs with Mahomes.

If you’re the Jets, and have decided to move away from Darnold, then excluding a Deshaun Watson trade, you take either Wilson or Fields at #2 and deal Sam to the highest bidder.

I agree.  As much as I am intrigued by Lance, if I'm JD I'm going with Wilson or trading down.   I just think Wilson has that it factor and would be a really good fit for Lafleurs system.   You mention Mahomes and I really do see some of that in Wilson's game, especially the way he passes from all different kinds of angles.   However if we trade down to say 5 - 8 and Lance is there, I think you have to take him.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, JetBlue said:

I agree.  As much as I am intrigued by Lance, if I'm JD I'm going with Wilson or trading down.   I just think Wilson has that it factor and would be a really good fit for Lafleurs system.   You mention Mahomes and I really do see some of that in Wilson's game, especially the way he passes from all different kinds of angles.   However if we trade down to say 5 - 8 and Lance is there, I think you have to take him.  

If we’re trading down into the 5-8 range then I would assume we’re riding with Darnold and I’m taking someone like Slater, Pitts or the best wideout on the board.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

If we’re trading down into the 5-8 range then I would assume we’re riding with Darnold and I’m taking someone like Slater, Pitts or the best wideout on the board.

I hear you, but even if we plan to bring Sam back, if Lance is there, I'm taking him regardless.  I am not passing on that kind of talent at quarterback.  We will have plenty of draft assets to add OL, WR etc just from the Trade down.  We trade Sam (or Lance if Sam has a break out year) for more assets and just keep it moving.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Probably - but at the end of the day there is probably a decent % chance that the success of this team, and JD's/coaching staff's job hinges on this pick. Obviously the consensus media rankings have Wilson as the clear QB2 - but Mahomes and Watson were consensus QBs behind Trubisky, Darnold/Rosen were deemed "safer" than Allen and Jackson, many had Tua>Herbert. Point is, if you believe Lance is your guy you take him. 

Lance's 2019 film per Daniel Jeremiah was the best out of Lawrence, Fields, and (obviously) Wilson - he definitely got the most screwed by the pandemic. He is probably the best athlete of the group, his teammates love him and he has all the character traits checked. 

He wouldn't be my pick at 2 - but if he was the choice I'd be pretty intrigued going into the season. However, I agree with you that if he flops there is definitely more pressure on JD as whether its fair or not the perception is that he is in a tier below Fields/Wilson, and theoretically you could have gotten him by trading down a few spts. 

• Upvote 2

I like Zach Wilson. He’s a fun prospect. I’m not sure he’s going to work out.

Given a choice between say, Zach Wilson and Trey Lance/Justin Fields, the 39th pick, and Carolina’s first round pick in 2022...I’m taking the second scenario. Everybody’s got questions. Give me talent with lower investment and extra draft capital.

I still think Douglas leans this way with how Baltimore has drafted quarterbacks. But maybe not.

I’ll also say I think that same scenario but with WR/Pitts at 8 and Kellen Mond at 66 and no Darnold trade is a very safe, vanilla approach that checks several boxes and is probably more likely than most think.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Icer said:

Not a big fan of taking a QB with limited starts after Sanchez

Same here.  But freakish athleticism is something Sanchez and Darnold lacked.  Cam Newton was very green as well but had a successful NFL career because of this.  Granted, he was facing SEC competition rather than FCS.  But its hard to ignore upside based on physical attributes. 

More and more, scouts are leaning towards physical attributes over everything else at QB, because no one really has a clue how a college passer will process the game at the pro level until they actually play NFL games.  And with Josh Allen's historically unprecedented turnaround 3 years in, when it was previously impossible to have success as an inaccurate, turnover-prone QB, it adds even more fuel to that fire.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Same here.  But freakish athleticism is something Sanchez and Darnold lacked.  Cam Newton was very green as well but had a successful NFL career because of this.  Granted, he was facing SEC competition rather than FCS.  But its hard to ignore upside based on physical attributes. 

More and more, scouts are leaning towards physical attributes over everything else at QB, because no one really has a clue how a college passer will process the game at the pro level until they actually play NFL games.  And with Josh Allen's historically unprecedented turnaround 3 years in, when it was previously impossible to have success as an inaccurate, turnover-prone QB, it adds even more fuel to that fire.

Bolded part definitely makes me nervous. A tight window throw is a tight window throw, regardless of competition. But running all over FCS competition in a read option offense doesn't necessarily inspire me.

But then again there's your second paragraph. And clearly Lance has incredible physical tools. But without a combine, how can I tell a dude is a freak if he's played inferior competition? Am I counting on pro-day workouts? I guess it makes me feel slightly better that the Jets leadership will be present, but as a fan, I feel like I won't get any information from that event unlike the combine. 

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Bolded part definitely makes me nervous. A tight window throw is a tight window throw, regardless of competition. But running all over FCS competition in a read option offense doesn't necessarily inspire me.

But then again there's your second paragraph. And clearly Lance has incredible physical tools. But without a combine, how can I tell a dude is a freak if he's played inferior competition? Am I counting on pro-day workouts? I guess it makes me feel slightly better that the Jets leadership will be present, but as a fan, I feel like I won't get any information from that event unlike the combine. 

Essentially....yes, you're depending on measurables.  Measurables that would hopefully fall in line with other highly athletic, successful QB's that came before him.  And if they don't line up, you obviously drop him on your board precipitously.  

Regardless of competition level, Lance will need time to get used to the speed of the NFL.  You're banking on his physical gifts.  So in that sense it doesn't really matter THAT much what competition level he faced.

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Probably - but at the end of the day there is probably a decent % chance that the success of this team, and JD's/coaching staff's job hinges on this pick. Obviously the consensus media rankings have Wilson as the clear QB2 - but Mahomes and Watson were consensus QBs behind Trubisky, Darnold/Rosen were deemed "safer" than Allen and Jackson, many had Tua>Herbert. Point is, if you believe Lance is your guy you take him. 

Lance's 2019 film per Daniel Jeremiah was the best out of Lawrence, Fields, and (obviously) Wilson - he definitely got the most screwed by the pandemic. He is probably the best athlete of the group, his teammates love him and he has all the character traits checked. 

He wouldn't be my pick at 2 - but if he was the choice I'd be pretty intrigued going into the season. However, I agree with you that if he flops there is definitely more pressure on JD as whether its fair or not the perception is that he is in a tier below Fields/Wilson, and theoretically you could have gotten him by trading down a few spts. 

I am NOT saying this is true of Lance, but people were saying that Mahomes would go late 1st early 2nd and the Chiefs traded up to 10 to get him.  I hope they have the balls to take who they like best and don't **** around because Kiper is going to say they were dumb on ESPN.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Essentially....yes, you're depending on measurables.  Measurables that would hopefully fall in line with other highly athletic, successful QB's that came before him.  And if they don't line up, you obviously drop him on your board precipitously.  

Regardless of competition level, Lance will need time to get used to the speed of the NFL.  You're banking on his physical gifts.  So in that sense it doesn't really matter THAT much what competition level he faced.

We agree, I'm just saying that the difference in information that we, as fans, will be privy to as far as athletic testing goes, will be different than what the Jets will have. 

Combine #'s have near universal credibility whereas pro-days... well... we all know the deal.

If Lance is a freak and we took him, I'm happy to sign and play a vet for a year while this kid learns the system. In fact, I think that's likely the best plan of action for any rookie quarterback we select this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We agree, I'm just saying that the difference in information that we, as fans, will be privy to as far as athletic testing goes, will be different than what the Jets will have. 

Combine #'s have near universal credibility whereas pro-days... well... we all know the deal.

If Lance is a freak and we took him, I'm happy to sign and play a vet for a year while this kid learns the system. In fact, I think that's likely the best plan of action for any rookie quarterback we select this year. 

image.thumb.png.8da43f86aa7a2d423e86ea29399bddfb.png

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm totally good with Fitzmagic for 8 games (or even the full season if we drafted Lance) while we let the rookie adjust to the NFL from the bench.  

I wasn't a fan because of the situation it created here but why the hell not at least it was fun times. 

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Trey Lance, North Dakota State (6-foot-4, 226 pounds): Redshirted in 2018, started 16 games for the FCS national champions in ’19 and started the Bison’s only game in ’20. “He’s really talented,” one scout said. “I’m not going to say he throws it better than Trevor Lawrence, but he definitely throws it better than Zach Wilson and as well as (Justin) Fields arm strength-wise. Josh Allen was more talented, but a year ago Lance was a much more efficient player. Josh threw interceptions in college, especially against good defenses. Lance definitely fits the mold of what you want to look for. The natural, God-given ability, he has it.”

Posted a passer rating of 130.1 in 2019 while running for 1,100 yards and 14 TDs. “He’s a better runner than Lawrence and the same level as Fields,” said a second scout. “He’s an aggressive runner. That’s the problem. He takes on people all the time. Physically, he’s gifted. He’s a myth, a one-year-and-one-game starter.” Playing in Fargo Oct. 3 against a Central Arkansas team that finished 5-4, Lance was 15-of-30 for 149 yards, two TDs and one interception. He did rush 15 times for 143 yards. Declared for the draft three days later. “He should not have played that game,” said a third scout. “He looked awful. Looked like a fourth-round pick. No accuracy. No pocket poise. He fumbled the ball. He looked like a developmental backup guy. Straight-line type athlete. He reminded me of Jameis Winston where it’s not really a fluid, natural motion or natural movement in the pocket. He kind of has to gather his whole body to throw.”

Two scouts said they’d take him over Jordan Love. “You like the taste, but it’s a small sample,” a fourth scout said. “I like his tools. I think he can be good, but would I bank on it? There’s not enough information for me. A lot of unknowns there that would give me pause.”

Not sure how anyone could put any stock into that game he played this season. 

• Upvote 1

I care only about a few things when it comes to the QB position.

1. Can they read a defense and call protections
  2. Do they have excellent pocket awareness, and not run at the first chance.
  3. How quickly do they release the ball.
  4. How accurate are their passes.

Combine is nice, but either you have these traits or you don't. Nothing beats film and real game action to determine a player. If Lance plays with the traits above, even though he might be a little raw, sit him a year and let him learn away. This can be said for every QB we might be interested in, in Rnd 1. Obviously, if we wait on someone in Rnd 3-6, then they should sit no matter.

• Post of the Week 1