Jets Going Trey Lance's Pro Day Tomorrow

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

More and more, scouts are leaning towards physical attributes over everything else at QB, because no one really has a clue how a college passer will process the game at the pro level until they actually play NFL games.  And with Josh Allen's historically unprecedented turnaround 3 years in, when it was previously impossible to have success as an inaccurate, turnover-prone QB, it adds even more fuel to that fire.

I've been saying this for a while now but the position has finally changed.  It was talked about for years and years and year and then, it just started happening, slowly but surely.  The days of being a statue in the pocket and having success are over.  Brady is the outlier, not the example.  The future of the NFL at QB consists of freak athletes, who just happen to play QB.  We've see it take form with guys like Rodgers, Wilson, Tannehill but the future of this league is; Watson, Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Murray, Herbert ie; athletic profiles you cant teach.

There are 3 players in this draft that fit that bill; Lawrence, Fields and Lance...and quite frankly, they might be bigger freaks then the names I listed already in the league.  

Therefore, the Jets will draft Mitch Wilson.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Lance is the kind of dude that a team like Pittsburgh or New Orleans should make a big play for in the draft ala the Chiefs with Mahomes.

If you’re the Jets, and have decided to move away from Darnold, then excluding a Deshaun Watson trade, you take either Wilson or Fields at #2 and deal Sam to the highest bidder.

OR....

You trade down to around number #8, pick up more draft capital, and draft Lance. 

Why would you draft Wilson or Fields if you prefer another guy, and you know the other guy isn't going in the top 10?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

OR....

You trade down to around number #8, pick up more draft capital, and draft Lance. 

Why would you draft Wilson or Fields if you prefer another guy, and you know the other guy isn't going in the top 10?

How do you know Lance will be there though?  It’s easy to say just trade down and take so and so at 8, but if you really like the QB at 8, why risk losing him, just take him at 2.  

Initial thoughts:

- Excellent frame and with his youth room to grow

- Ball explodes out of his hand

- From the reporters on the ground his workout is based on the
offenses of teams looking for QB's (Jets, ATL, CAR, etc...)

- Good ability to throw from weird angles

- Considering these are his WR's I'm seeing more misses and questionable
ball placements than I would expect

- The thing that would hold him back in my opinion is the lack of games
he's played.  A team with an established QB would be better for him
(ATL, CAR)

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

Starting to believe Trey will be the 3rd qb taken. Please don't let him fall to the Patriots

I think he is their target , after signing newton for a yr, they will look to trade up, zero chance he lasts till 15. Broncos or Carolina would take him at 8 or 9

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

Definitely helping himself, going top 10 for sure, many will evaluate him over Fields..

ok so now weve got fields, wilson, lawrence, lance and maybe even mac going top 12.

thats 5.

Bitonti said there was only going to be 2 qbs drafted in the 1st a few months ago and now we have 5/12. I argued that there will be 5 going in the 1st. This is nutty

What about Wilson's surgery's ?  I mean both shoulders... I see red flags and I'd pass.  Keep SAM and draft Lance but sit him and let him learn... form the coaches, what he sees and also SAM (I know he blows but..) and if SAMs sucks, play him and as others stated he can be an efficient back-up. 

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

ok so now weve got fields, wilson, lawrence, lance and maybe even mac going top 12.

thats 5.

Bitonti said there was only going to be 2 qbs drafted in the 1st a few months ago and now we have 5/12. I argued that there will be 5 going in the 1st. This is nutty

Mac is not going top 12, Lance will be taken before Jones, bank on it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SOJ said:

What about Wilson's surgery's ?  I mean both shoulders... I see red flags and I'd pass.  Keep SAM and draft Lance but sit him and let him learn... form the coaches, what he sees and also SAM (I know he blows but..) and if SAMs sucks, play him and as others stated he can be an efficient back-up. 

Only way , i keep Sam, is if we draft lance

- First of all just an excellent pro day workout design by his QB coach.  Under center, shot gun, all the patterns, looking off areas of the field.

-  Excellent arm can make all the throws

- He certainly looks like a QB specimen

- Accuracy not 100% but I did not like the receivers he was throwing to.  (They were fine at catching the ball but the pattern running was not great.)

- Throws a pretty good deep ball, good arc.

The guy looked quite good but its a pro day and almost every one always looks good at pro days (cept teddy bridgewater)

• Upvote 2

Lance is talented but he's not for us.  He needs to go to a team with
an established QB where he can sit and work on technical stuff before
he can take over.  ATL, DET, CAR, NE would be good fits

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Lance is talented but he's not for us.  He needs to go to a team with
an established QB where he can sit and work on technical stuff before
he can take over.  ATL, DET, CAR, NE would be good fits

I did not get to watch, but the reviews generally seem to be 'raw, but unquestionably talented. Needs time.'

Is signing someone like Fitzmagic, taking Lance and letting him sit so out of the question?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

Only way , i keep Sam, is if we draft lance

There is no way Sam can be our QB if we draft one to sit for the season.  As soon as Sam struggles, which could be the 1st game of the season, the boo birds and pressure to make a change will be too much for everyone involved.     I would rather role with a one year vet if that's the route we go.

Reminds me a little of Allen. Acuracy and touch may be an issue but the arm talent and velocity is there. He'll be fun to watch at the next level. 

Wilson is my guy but I'm totally fine with Fields or Lance. It's kind of hard for the Jets to **** this up. We just need to take our guy at 2. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, K_O_Brien said:

Reminds me a little of Allen. Acuracy and touch may be an issue but the arm talent and velocity is there. He'll be fun to watch at the next level. 

Wilson is my guy but I'm totally fine with Fields or Lance. It's kind of hard for the Jets to **** this up. We just need to take our guy at 2. 

Weak velocity but throws far . One read not smart.  He's not going to win you much . Wilson small neck like Monrana , can go through 5th wr if needed absvthriws on run.

43 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How do you know Lance will be there though?  It’s easy to say just trade down and take so and so at 8, but if you really like the QB at 8, why risk losing him, just take him at 2.  

Because you are not taking a QB who admittedly needs to sit for a year at 2.  You just aren't.  If you do, he has to start, and then its Sam Darnold part II.

If someone moves up, say Carolina at 8, they are moving there to get Zach Wilson or Justin Fields.  Cincinnati, Philadelphia, and Detroit are NOT taking QB's.  The wildcard is Miami.  If Miami doesn't, and the Jets were sitting at #8, you have the Falcons who MIGHT take a QB.  If Carolina moves up for Wilson or Fields, that leaves the Jets with Lance or one of Wilson or Fields.  

There IS no guarantee, but that is how you play the draft.  It might be a risk.  That is why I think they hang onto Darnold.  If they had number one, I bet they take Lawrence.  But, they can move down, try and take a guy like Lance around 8.  If it doesn't work out, the Jets will probably have at least 3 first round picks next year to do some maneuvering.  

This is chess, not checkers.  It's going to take some balls, some skill, and some patience.  Douglas was given six years.  It will take probably three of those years getting this team to a point where it is decent enough to compete for the playoffs.  If one of these QB's doesn't work, you don't force it. 

• Post of the Week 1