Pro Day Results

maury77

13 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

image.thumb.png.053489f13c39c35c6188fb5cf89da6b6.png

Good day all around for the Irish. Ogundeji had a good workout. JOK not running a 40 is annoying but he’s the WLB that Saleh dreams about. Eichenberg didn’t run a 40 but I like him a lot. He’s the most boring OL I’ve ever watched. Never overwhelming but always steady. 

Interesting to know who we sent  to ND’s pro day.

22 hours ago, C Mart said:

A later round alternative for TE?

2021 NFL Draft: From Division II punter to NFL tight end, the most intriguing prospect you've never heard of

Zach Davidson is the 2021 draft's best-kept secret

Would you believe me if I told you that one of the most intriguing tight end prospects in the 2021 NFL Draft -- arguably one of the most fascinating draftees regardless of position -- never caught footballs in games with any regularity until his senior year in tiny Webb City, Missouri?

What if I told you that, had the punter on the Webb City JV team not been suspended midseason seven years ago, this young man -- now a 6-foot-7, 246 pound specimen -- almost certainly never plays college football in any capacity, let alone end up wowing NFL scouts as an invitee to Missouri's pro day.             

Would you buy it?

Or what about this -- Zach Davidson was only recruited by Division II or NAIA schools as a punter, but is now counting down the days until he hears his name called draft weekend as tight end.

How about this: Davidson is less than five years removed from redshirting for the Division II Central Missouri Mules, and caught just 11 passes for them prior to a breakout 2019 season in which he was an All-American punter and tight end. And, despite being stripped of his entire senior season due to the pandemic, Davidson more than held his own at a premier pre-draft training center in South Florida with some of the best receivers, tight ends and running backs from the ACC this winter before crushing that pro day. Oh yeah, and he still hones his punting three days a week -- booming balls with ease -- and is teaching himself to long snap (he is a self-taught punter) and maybe to place hold, too. He could be one of the rarest breeds of hybrid player in the NFL ever (oh yeah, he's worked out as an H-back, as well).

Trust me. It's all legit.

This kid is a secret no longer in personnel rooms across the league after he flashed elite speed, quickness and athleticism at his pro day a week ago (Davidson's 37 ½-inch vertical would have been tops among all tight ends in the 2020 combine, and his 4.62 40-yard dash and 6.95 three-cone drill would have ranked second among everyone at his position a year ago, but they aren't 6-foot-7). Davidson himself finds all of this difficult to comprehend at times, fully aware of the uniqueness of his story; the amazing confluence of continuous hard work and bizarre circumstances renders him both humbled and overwhelmed by the NFL attention.  

He's gone from an unknown, D-II punter, to perhaps an un-drafted free agent to someone now projected by many teams to go possibly as high as the end of day two of the draft (late fourth round).

"It's been a helluva ride so far," Davidson said after another recent pre-draft workout back at in Webb City (population 11,000). "And I know my road is not done yet."

I see the kid move around the field and say he's a little different. Being 6-7, with those long levers, it was amazing how strong he was."

Davidson spent his redshirt sophomore year "learning the position more and gaining a real appreciate for the strength and agility required to play it." Svoboda has coached five All-American tight ends at Central Missouri -- never one quite as freakish and complete as this -- and, he says, if he had his druthers, "I'd run 1-2 personnel (two tight ends) 90% of the time."

Davidson played roughly 90% of the snaps as a junior, dominating as the top tight end in Division II, earning five All-American Awards. He finished in the top 10 in receiving touchdowns (15) and yards per catch (22.35!), setting school records with 225 yards against Missouri Western and catching four touchdowns in another game. He caught just 40 balls in all, however, despite his prowess, in a limited passing attack (over a third of his receptions were for a score).

In the meantime, he was also one of college football's best punters, with 48 punts averaging 40.3 yards, while also downing 19 punts inside the oppositions 20, with nine traveling 50 yards or more.

"In our offense, with what we run, this kid wasn't going to have great stats," Svoboda said. "He only caught a handful of balls in his career, but he is a helluva athlete. … And he hasn't been afraid at all to be an out-in-front guy for us. He's a true leader and he's always willing to do the work."

To say that 2020 would have been massive for Davidson would be an understatement. He needed all the film he could possibly get for NFL teams given where he was playing (and even more so considering there would be no NFL combine -- though he did get an invite -- or smaller showcase games like the Shrine), and he was excited for a new offense being installed that would likely provide more opportunities to shine. But the Mules got to practice just 25 times before the season was suspended, and then, ultimately, cancelled.

"Coach asked the leadership council if we wanted to keep working toward a scrimmage or two," said Davidson, who spent three years on the council. "And we definitely wanted to try to make that happen, and then a couple of weeks before we were going to have the scrimmages in late October or early November we got the word that they were wiped out too. It was really tough for everybody. I was really excited for my senior year and felt like I was ready to put an exclamation point on my college career."

Division II schools couldn't afford the costs of the testing and protocols required to play, with limited budgets and slim revenue streams. Regular football was impossible, but Svoboda wanted to take care of a youngster who had given so much to the program if he could. And with no games to play, Davidson had a decision to make -- leave as a grad transfer or declare for the draft.

"Before the season I told Zach, 'Dude I'll put you in the (transfer) portal and somebody will definitely pick you up and you can play anywhere,'" Davidson said. "And he goes, 'Coach, I'm not playing for anybody but the Mules.'

"He had to decide if it would be legit to put his name in for the draft, and finally he did sign with an agent (Don Yee and Carter Chow, who represent Tom Brady among many others) and it's really beautiful how this has worked out for him."

Davidson hung around campus helping to coach the tight ends ahead of an eventual spring game, working out there until graduating in mid-December. Then it was down to Florida to begin rigorous pre-draft training with the big boys from the biggest schools. Turns out he was more than ready for it.

As Davidson walked across the track at Missouri after his workout, to get his bag and change into his tennis shoes, the path suddenly got crowded. Reps from several NFL teams wanted his ear, wanted to get to know him a little better, and the communication between player and teams has not stopped. A half dozen or so have been most persistent -- the Jets, Titans, Seahawks and Washington Football Team among them -- but Davidson also knows there is still much work to be done and aims to open as many eyes as possible. He benched 17 reps but wants to add more, and is aiming to get up to 250 pounds of muscle as well, transitioning from a lean diet for pure speed to one geared to add mass.

Link to the rest of the article....

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-from-division-ii-punter-to-nfl-tight-end-the-most-intriguing-prospect-youve-never-heard-of/

late to the party! brought this dude up like 2 months ago, late round kid has a chance to be a steal.  Great movement for a guy of his size. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, C Mart said:

A later round alternative for TE?

2021 NFL Draft: From Division II punter to NFL tight end, the most intriguing prospect you've never heard of

Zach Davidson is the 2021 draft's best-kept secret

Would you believe me if I told you that one of the most intriguing tight end prospects in the 2021 NFL Draft -- arguably one of the most fascinating draftees regardless of position -- never caught footballs in games with any regularity until his senior year in tiny Webb City, Missouri?

What if I told you that, had the punter on the Webb City JV team not been suspended midseason seven years ago, this young man -- now a 6-foot-7, 246 pound specimen -- almost certainly never plays college football in any capacity, let alone end up wowing NFL scouts as an invitee to Missouri's pro day.             

Would you buy it?

Or what about this -- Zach Davidson was only recruited by Division II or NAIA schools as a punter, but is now counting down the days until he hears his name called draft weekend as tight end.

How about this: Davidson is less than five years removed from redshirting for the Division II Central Missouri Mules, and caught just 11 passes for them prior to a breakout 2019 season in which he was an All-American punter and tight end. And, despite being stripped of his entire senior season due to the pandemic, Davidson more than held his own at a premier pre-draft training center in South Florida with some of the best receivers, tight ends and running backs from the ACC this winter before crushing that pro day. Oh yeah, and he still hones his punting three days a week -- booming balls with ease -- and is teaching himself to long snap (he is a self-taught punter) and maybe to place hold, too. He could be one of the rarest breeds of hybrid player in the NFL ever (oh yeah, he's worked out as an H-back, as well).

Trust me. It's all legit.

This kid is a secret no longer in personnel rooms across the league after he flashed elite speed, quickness and athleticism at his pro day a week ago (Davidson's 37 ½-inch vertical would have been tops among all tight ends in the 2020 combine, and his 4.62 40-yard dash and 6.95 three-cone drill would have ranked second among everyone at his position a year ago, but they aren't 6-foot-7). Davidson himself finds all of this difficult to comprehend at times, fully aware of the uniqueness of his story; the amazing confluence of continuous hard work and bizarre circumstances renders him both humbled and overwhelmed by the NFL attention.  

He's gone from an unknown, D-II punter, to perhaps an un-drafted free agent to someone now projected by many teams to go possibly as high as the end of day two of the draft (late fourth round).

"It's been a helluva ride so far," Davidson said after another recent pre-draft workout back at in Webb City (population 11,000). "And I know my road is not done yet."

I see the kid move around the field and say he's a little different. Being 6-7, with those long levers, it was amazing how strong he was."

Davidson spent his redshirt sophomore year "learning the position more and gaining a real appreciate for the strength and agility required to play it." Svoboda has coached five All-American tight ends at Central Missouri -- never one quite as freakish and complete as this -- and, he says, if he had his druthers, "I'd run 1-2 personnel (two tight ends) 90% of the time."

Davidson played roughly 90% of the snaps as a junior, dominating as the top tight end in Division II, earning five All-American Awards. He finished in the top 10 in receiving touchdowns (15) and yards per catch (22.35!), setting school records with 225 yards against Missouri Western and catching four touchdowns in another game. He caught just 40 balls in all, however, despite his prowess, in a limited passing attack (over a third of his receptions were for a score).

In the meantime, he was also one of college football's best punters, with 48 punts averaging 40.3 yards, while also downing 19 punts inside the oppositions 20, with nine traveling 50 yards or more.

"In our offense, with what we run, this kid wasn't going to have great stats," Svoboda said. "He only caught a handful of balls in his career, but he is a helluva athlete. … And he hasn't been afraid at all to be an out-in-front guy for us. He's a true leader and he's always willing to do the work."

To say that 2020 would have been massive for Davidson would be an understatement. He needed all the film he could possibly get for NFL teams given where he was playing (and even more so considering there would be no NFL combine -- though he did get an invite -- or smaller showcase games like the Shrine), and he was excited for a new offense being installed that would likely provide more opportunities to shine. But the Mules got to practice just 25 times before the season was suspended, and then, ultimately, cancelled.

"Coach asked the leadership council if we wanted to keep working toward a scrimmage or two," said Davidson, who spent three years on the council. "And we definitely wanted to try to make that happen, and then a couple of weeks before we were going to have the scrimmages in late October or early November we got the word that they were wiped out too. It was really tough for everybody. I was really excited for my senior year and felt like I was ready to put an exclamation point on my college career."

Division II schools couldn't afford the costs of the testing and protocols required to play, with limited budgets and slim revenue streams. Regular football was impossible, but Svoboda wanted to take care of a youngster who had given so much to the program if he could. And with no games to play, Davidson had a decision to make -- leave as a grad transfer or declare for the draft.

"Before the season I told Zach, 'Dude I'll put you in the (transfer) portal and somebody will definitely pick you up and you can play anywhere,'" Davidson said. "And he goes, 'Coach, I'm not playing for anybody but the Mules.'

"He had to decide if it would be legit to put his name in for the draft, and finally he did sign with an agent (Don Yee and Carter Chow, who represent Tom Brady among many others) and it's really beautiful how this has worked out for him."

Davidson hung around campus helping to coach the tight ends ahead of an eventual spring game, working out there until graduating in mid-December. Then it was down to Florida to begin rigorous pre-draft training with the big boys from the biggest schools. Turns out he was more than ready for it.

As Davidson walked across the track at Missouri after his workout, to get his bag and change into his tennis shoes, the path suddenly got crowded. Reps from several NFL teams wanted his ear, wanted to get to know him a little better, and the communication between player and teams has not stopped. A half dozen or so have been most persistent -- the Jets, Titans, Seahawks and Washington Football Team among them -- but Davidson also knows there is still much work to be done and aims to open as many eyes as possible. He benched 17 reps but wants to add more, and is aiming to get up to 250 pounds of muscle as well, transitioning from a lean diet for pure speed to one geared to add mass.

Link to the rest of the article....

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-from-division-ii-punter-to-nfl-tight-end-the-most-intriguing-prospect-youve-never-heard-of/

have a look. Davidson would be an acceptable (if not admirable) consolation prize for me if Pitts winds up being secondary to a QB.. No one on DraftTwitter has been a bigger Davidson backer than myself - but credit @Chrebetfan80 for hanging a lantern on the kid

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

It’s not just him it’s everyone. These pro day numbers have all been ridiculous.

I agree.  At least the combine provides a standard by which to compare.  The same surface, electronic timed, guys are brought back if they cheat the start.   With these pro days we have different surfaces, different timing mechanisms and who knows if they are checking to make sure these guys aren’t cheating the start.  

Lots of guys running sub 4.4 that I wouldn’t have though they would.  

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Here’s UCF’s pro day

005CB63E-DEC9-4806-B2CF-52BDB17F17CE.thumb.jpeg.3c07baa66b451c784486942585b83376.jpeg
I was worried Marlon Williams was Jauan Jennings 2.0 and that seems like it’s gonna check out. 

Take a gander at Tay Gowan, Richie Grant, and Aaron Robinson... secondary studs.

How did I miss out on Jacob Harris? Is he bad? What a freak @Paradis

Did these guys all play in the bowl game vs BYU?  You know, Wilson never played anybody good and all that.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

have a look. Davidson would be an acceptable (if not admirable) consolation prize for me if Pitts winds up being secondary to a QB.. No one on DraftTwitter has been a bigger Davidson backer than myself - but credit @Chrebetfan80 for hanging a lantern on the kid

Great kid and a great prospect, He's starting to gain momentum too which worries me because I want him on the team.  

Two kids Ive been vocal about are starting to get more and more hype.  Davidson as @Paradis mentioned now getting a CBS article, and Darden has been getting love in the scouting community from a lot of guys I know. I had hoped at one point to land both, now I'm scared we wont land either lol 

Glad for them though, they're hard working under the radar guys that have been grinding, put up big years, and finally are getting some love.  

• Upvote 1

Take him at 23.

Tommy Tremble can block, right? That 4.59 is nice. Third round pick and let him push Herndon? Him or Long if they can’t get Pitts. Certainly throw in Davidson too.

Wesco is the only TE on the roster signed after this year so you know JD is going to take one reasonably early.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, kdels62 said:

Here’s UCF’s pro day

005CB63E-DEC9-4806-B2CF-52BDB17F17CE.thumb.jpeg.3c07baa66b451c784486942585b83376.jpeg
I was worried Marlon Williams was Jauan Jennings 2.0 and that seems like it’s gonna check out. 

Take a gander at Tay Gowan, Richie Grant, and Aaron Robinson... secondary studs.

How did I miss out on Jacob Harris? Is he bad? What a freak @Paradis

Those are sick numbers. I honestly tho, haven’t watched 5 mins of him. All I know about Harris is that he’s like juco slash smaller program transfer guy who’s like in his sixth yr of college ball. So im assuming he’ll like 24 this fall. And raw. Not a good combo - which might be why there’s no buzz there 

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

That’s some bullsh*t. There’s no way with that size and those agility and vert numbers that Turner’s 40 and BJ would be so bad that they hurt him.

Weird. I think Turner's a sneaky potential target. Not crazy numbers but big and long, they need a starter across from Lawson starting next year and I think that's the profile they're going to want at that position, team captain (this morning I went through the Brugler guide and did a control-f on all the guys who were captains since that seemed to be a thing last year - will eventually post my thoughts).

But yeah, Turner seems like one of those guys Baltimore takes in the third round with one of their comp picks, I say "Who?", he has a monster third and fourth year for them when he steps into a bigger role, I want him as a FA, they get another comp pick, and the cycle continues. I know one of the guys who does a big annual writeup on edges likes him a lot.