Pauline: Jets leaning towards Zach Wilson

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In order for any trade scenario to work, other teams have to believe that the Jets are absolutely committed to taking Wilson in the 2 spot. Otherwise, the Texans, etc, could sit back and just cut a deal with the Dolphins.

And the Jets could then trade the 2nd to a QB needy team screwing that up

5 minutes ago, genot said:

It's amazing how people can look at the same info, and draw different conclusions. If Wilson was the choice. Ths Jet's would have no reason to leak anything to anybody 

That's just the point.  That's why they're called leaks.  

JD doesn't want this info getting out.  But the Jets are big organization with a lot of people - people talk all the time, especially inside an organization like that...and some people want to be adored by media types.  So they share what they know or what they think they know. 

I can PROMISE you the "leak" did't come from JD or Saleh.

28 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Take Sewell at #2, trade Becton to Cincy for their #5 and a 3rd rounder.  You've just upgraded the LT position with the best LT prospect in ages and traded the value of a #11 pick for the value of a #5 pick.  They would bite like a shark at the beach.  They are desperate for a LT.  Take whatever QB is there at #5 or trade back and get more picks. If JD is not absolutely sold on a QB in this draft then just add playmakers.  Sooner or later we have to luck out on a QB.  Herbert, Mahomes, Watson, Rodgers, Brady, etc etc etc were not top 5 picks.  Our roster STINKS and I'm not a big fan of how JD has brought in FA's. He seems to be better at drafting. But it's still early in his GM role so hopefully he hits pay dirt this year.  

The Bengals can get a better guy @5 anyway, Slater. They'd never do this.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

The Jets will not take Penei Sewell at #2. If they do stick with Darnold and opt against taking a QB #2, they will trade down and seek to draft Pitts. Joe Douglas has been monitoring him since his early high school years and is extremely high on him. If they traded down and he were to get selected ahead of their pick, then its hard to say what direction they would go. They're high on Jaylen Waddle, but I'm not sure if they're high enough to select him top 10. I say this with conviction because I trust the sources that have told me this... they've never steered me wrong RE: draft in the past 6 years

I'm sure Ja'Marr Chase will be a consideration in that scenario. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think the fact that you’re saying something that hasn’t happened yet is an absolute truth should make it any less of a mystery(?)

Lol. If it was a fact that we're drafting a QB at two, they're would be no need to leak they're intentions to anybody. This is all a cat and mouse game.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think the fact that you’re saying something that hasn’t happened yet is an absolute truth should make it any less of a mystery(?)

Agreed, it's not an "absolute"  but it is exactly what's going to happen.  

It's really should be obvious to anyone paying attention.

It's just not the way things are done in this league.  You don't trade out of the 2 pick when you need a QB and there's a highly regarded, highly rated one sitting there.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

You have to look at Sewell. He's considered the best LT to come out in years.  Cincy would jump all over him at #2 as would Miami.  The trade would really be Becton for Cincy's #5 and a 3rd. You're looking at it like we are losing our #2. Becton was taken at #11. Sewell will go top 5.  What's the point value between 11 and 5? Its 900 or which equates to a mid 1st round pick.  In other words, to move up from 11 to 5 you'd have to surrender a mid 1st round pick.  Essentially you're switching a better prospect out for the other and I'm sure they'd be able to add a pick or two to the deal.  As for the QB's in this draft, there is no sure thing. And you'd still have the #5 to take one of Fields, Wilson, Lance. They all seem to be pretty much on the same plane, young, raw, unproven.  Of course Cincy would have to first trade for Becton first before the draft.

I guess you can have your opinion.  But for my money I'm taking the QB I like the most. I just don't think you mess around with that position.

You do your research and take the one you like the best....and you certainly don't give up that right to upgrade your LT from potential All-pro to potential better all-pro.

I honestly think that trade would be insane.  But that's what makes all of this fun.  We just see things differently.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

JD doesn't want this info getting out.  But the Jets are big organization with a lot of people - people talk all the time, especially inside an organization like that...and some people want to be adored by media types.  So they share what they know or what they think they know. 

Disinformation can really help get you what you always wanted. When JD, and Saleh talk about Darnolds skills. You, and others think it's a bunch of false praise to increase his trade value. I don't believe any of this stuff. 

27 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Terrible idea.

How about we keep Becton and take 2nd best QB (not "whatever QB is there at 5)

How about you try and think outside the box.  Becton was a #11 pick. Very good but you have a chance to upgrade to a generational LT AND still get a QB and a pick.  Becton just scares me. He's injury prone and his weight will ultimately be an issue. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

You have to look at Sewell. He's considered the best LT to come out in years.  Cincy would jump all over him at #2 as would Miami.  The trade would really be Becton for Cincy's #5 and a 3rd. You're looking at it like we are losing our #2. Becton was taken at #11. Sewell will go top 5.  What's the point value between 11 and 5? Its 900 or which equates to a mid 1st round pick.  In other words, to move up from 11 to 5 you'd have to surrender a mid 1st round pick.  Essentially you're switching a better prospect out for the other and I'm sure they'd be able to add a pick or two to the deal.  As for the QB's in this draft, there is no sure thing. And you'd still have the #5 to take one of Fields, Wilson, Lance. They all seem to be pretty much on the same plane, young, raw, unproven.  Of course Cincy would have to first trade for Becton first before the draft.

the jets would take a $15MM cap hit to trade becton.  seems like a huge was of cap space when they have a pretty good LT prospect already in house and under contract and can use the #2 pick of their choice of QB, rather than whoever is left

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

We already have our left tackle. Why on earth would we chance messing that up for *possibly* improving on Big Ticket a little bit? Makes absolutely no sense. Nor does drafting a RT in the top 10, but I digress. Hopefully JD forks over some big bucks to Thuney or Linsley and ends all this talk. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Disinformation can really help get you what you always wanted. When JD, and Saleh talk about Darnolds skills. You, and others think it's a bunch of false praise to increase his trade value. I don't believe any of this stuff. 

I don't think it's false praise of Sam at all.  I think they believe that.  and I agree with them, I still think Sam can be a good NFL QB.  

But I was also quite confident they would ultimately come to the conclusion that the better choice was to trade him and take  a QB at 2.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I guess you can have your opinion.  But for my money I'm taking the QB I like the most. I just don't think you mess around with that position.

You do your research and take the one you like the best....and you certainly don't give up that right to upgrade your LT from potential All-pro to potential better all-pro.

I honestly think that trade would be insane.  But that's what makes all of this fun.  We just see things differently.

Fields Wilson Lance. No one knows which will be viable NFL QB's. Its a total crap shoot between these 3. Darnold was taken 3rd and was considered a cant miss QB. LOL. Sewell is an absolute BEAST. The more I think of these QB's, the more they scare the living daylights out of me. Fields - cant process through progressions.  Wilson - has the body of Gumby.  Lance - raw as an oyster.   I'd trade back and take Lance and let him sit a couple years. He's by far the best athlete amongst the 3. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

We already have our left tackle. Why on earth would we chance messing that up for *possibly* improving on Big Ticket a little bit? Makes absolutely no sense. Nor does drafting a RT in the top 10, but I digress. Hopefully JD forks over some big bucks to Thuney or Linsley and ends all this talk. 

Ok so by that logic we already have our QB in Darnold. 

• WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There was nothing clandestine about that though - he let people know he would move Adams - and took the best offer he got.

You sound like you think Seattle called up and offered two first round picks on their first proposal. It was probably one first and some other trash, but JD countered it's gotta be two first, Bo. 

Ok so by that logic we already have our QB in Darnold. 

No, Sam has given us absolutely zero proof that he is (or deserves to be) the option going forward. I’d have to see it to believe it. You’ve seen big ticket perform at a high level already in his first year.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

somehow pauline is usually plugged in.  i believe him.

He had the Jets taking Wills over Becton in his final mock last year. 

I highly doubt he is plugged into the Joe Douglas regime. 

Saying Jets leaning towards Wilson is just a really good educated guess. Nothing more, nothing less.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Fields Wilson Lance. No one knows which will be viable NFL QB's. Its a total crap shoot between these 3. Darnold was taken 3rd and was considered a cant miss QB. LOL. Sewell is an absolute BEAST. The more I think of these QB's, the more they scare the living daylights out of me. Fields - cant process through progressions.  Wilson - has the body of Gumby.  Lance - raw as an oyster.   I'd trade back and take Lance and let him sit a couple years. He's by far the best athlete amongst the 3. 

So, you think - JD, his team of scouts, Saleh and Lafluer - scouted and watched every throw each of these guys have ever made (likely multiple times, from multiple angles) and came to the conclusion...."Eh, they're all the same" ?

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think it's false praise of Sam at all.  I think they believe that.  and I agree with them, I still think Sam can be a good NFL QB.  

But I was also quite confident they would ultimately come to the conclusion that the better choice was to trade him and take  a QB at 2.  

If they believe that,( and i do too), then you want everybody believing that the Jet's will draft a player that another team would be willing to trade up for. That #2 pick can net us three or more additional picks. W e have a new scheme on offense and defense. We need players who can play in that system. It's key to a quick rebuild that we have as many picks as possible to build this team.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He had the Jets taking Wills over Becton in his final mock last year. 

I highly doubt he is plugged into the Joe Douglas regime. 

Saying Jets leaning towards Wilson is just a really good educated guess. Nothing more, nothing less.

Willis wasn't there to take.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

If I had to guess, and that’s pretty much all we all do, I would say the following is going to happen.

• After much deliberation Douglas & Co feel the Wilson option is the best way to go.  But not by much!  Douglas has spoken to several teams ad nauseum about trading down from #2 but never got quite what would turn the tide.
  • With the Jets on the clock and less than a minute to go Carolina calls and sweetens the pot to include #8, #39, #73, 2022 1st, 2023 2nd Teddy Bridgewater AND Christian McCaffrey!  Douglas, wanting to make sure he’s doing the right thing, calls Adam Gaze to ask for his opinion.  Gaze says, turn the deal down!  Douglas then says to Carolina, we’ll take the deal!
  • The first few picks go as planned but then the Bungels pull a surprise and take Rashawn Slater at #5, leaving Penei Sewell for the taking at #8!
  • The rest of the draft plays out as follows:
  • #23 - Rashod Bateman, WR
  • #34 - Pat Frieirmuth, TE
  • #39 - Tyson Campbell, CB
  • #66 -  Rashad Weaver, Edge
  • #73 - Kelvin Joseph, CB
  • #86 - Quinn Meneirz, C

While many fans will be upset at the prospect of Darnold being under center to start the season, the excitement the rest of this deal brings will make up for it.

I’ll be providing another update after my third shot of Tibiki whiskey later this morning.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, genot said:

If Pauline said “The Jets are likely to run it back with Darnold” you would’ve been saying the opposite. Funny how anyone saying the Jets are likely to jettison Darnold is instantly non credible. 

But random JetNation posters have the inside track to what’s going on and not the media talking heads connected to these teams... amazing 

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, football guy said:

The Jets will not take Penei Sewell at #2. If they do stick with Darnold and opt against taking a QB #2, they will trade down and seek to draft Pitts. Joe Douglas has been monitoring him since his early high school years and is extremely high on him. If they traded down and he were to get selected ahead of their pick, then its hard to say what direction they would go. They're high on Jaylen Waddle, but I'm not sure if they're high enough to select him top 10. I say this with conviction because I trust the sources that have told me this... they've never steered me wrong RE: draft in the past 6 years

Issue is we do not know for sure the Fins at #3 would take TE Pitts. It comes down to if you are sold on any player QB Wilson, TE Pitts, or OT Sewell unless you get a serious draft haul even to move down to #4, you have to take the player you want since that player may be gone by the time pick #4 comes up either by Fins at #3 picking them or trading down from #3 to a team that picks that player.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:21 AM, GreekJet said:

Mentioned on his Thursday podcast. He also said Penei Sewell is in the mix. 

It sounds like the debate in Florham Pack is very similar to JetNation.com

That's not exactly what he said. This is his exact quote from the podcast ...

"A lot of people think the New York Jets are going to pick Penei Sewell. I talked to someone in the know, someone who is close to the situation, and they told me yesterday (Tuesday) they don't think it's going to happen with the New York Jets and Penei Sewell. Right now it looks like the Jets are going to take Zach Wilson."

It's at the 7:00 mark.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, genot said:

If they believe that,( and i do too), then you want everybody believing that the Jet's will draft a player that another team would be willing to trade up for. That #2 pick can net us three or more additional picks. W e have a new scheme on offense and defense. We need players who can play in that system. It's key to a quick rebuild that we have as many picks as possible to build this team.

They have plenty of picks.  

It'll 2 1's, 2 2'sand 2 3's...you're talking about 7 picks in the top 100.  

Sure, you can always have more but bottom line, when you need a QB you take a QB. 

The Jets WILL take a QB at 2....only way they don't is if they trade for Watson. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What are your sources?

3 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

If I had to guess, and that’s pretty much all we all do, I would say the following is going to happen.

• After much deliberation Douglas & Co feel the Wilson option is the best way to go.  But not by much!  Douglas has spoken to several teams ad nauseum about trading down from #2 but never got quite what would turn the tide.
  • With the Jets on the clock and less than a minute to go Carolina calls and sweetens the pot to include #8, #39, #73, 2022 1st, 2023 2nd Teddy Bridgewater AND Christian McCaffrey!  Douglas, wanting to make sure he’s doing the right thing, calls Adam Gaze to ask for his opinion.  Gaze says, turn the deal down!  Douglas then says to Carolina, we’ll take the deal!
  • The first few picks go as planned but then the Bungels pull a surprise and take Rashawn Slater at #5, leaving Penei Sewell for the taking at #8!
  • The rest of the draft plays out as follows:
  • #23 - Rashod Bateman, WR
  • #34 - Pat Frieirmuth, TE
  • #39 - Tyson Campbell, CB
  • #66 -  Rashad Weaver, Edge
  • #73 - Kelvin Joseph, CB
  • #86 - Quinn Meneirz, C

While many fans will be upset at the prospect of Darnold being under center to start the season, the excitement the rest of this deal brings will make up for it.

I’ll be providing another update after my third shot of Tibiki whiskey later this morning.

This is quite an elaborate "guess"