Pauline: Jets leaning towards Zach Wilson

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

you don't know the first and are sadly lacking on the 2nd.

So when Sam's traded and they draft Wilson ---- will you agree I have both?  It is what's going to happen.

The Watson thing is the only outlier - I really can't get a feel for what Houston or JD are thinking and a situation like this is pretty much unprecedented.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

In order for any trade scenario to work, other teams have to believe that the Jets are absolutely committed to taking Wilson in the 2 spot. Otherwise, the Texans, etc, could sit back and just cut a deal with the Dolphins.

First intelligent post from you for 2021.  Good job, pork chop.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how joe gets any work done with the phone ringing morning noon and night with trade offers for Darnold and trade offers from teams wanting to move up for wilson. Add into the mix teams now wanting to trade up for sewell, no wonder we haven't traded for Watson as joe hasn't had a minute.?

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So when Sam's traded and they draft Wilson ---- will you agree I have both?  It is what's going to happen.

The Watson thing is the only outlier - I really can't get a feel for what Houston or JD are thinking and a situation like this is pretty much unprecedented.

Na that's called a guess and a wish. I do that too. Except i have them trading down for Chase, a 2nd and 3rd rounder and a 2021 1st. 

• Upvote 1

1) Joe Douglas is at North Dakota State today. Sure, the Jets may be hypothetically leaning towards Wilson, but if the decisions had been made, the team wouldn't be scouting Lance (unless Douglas is there to scout Rudnaz, but I doubt he would fly out for that). 

2) I'm a big fan of Pauline, but I still remember him telling me 20 minutes before the draft that Dareus was going number 1 and the Panthers selected Newton. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

If Pauline said “The Jets are likely to run it back with Darnold” you would’ve been saying the opposite. Funny how anyone saying the Jets are likely to jettison Darnold is instantly non credible. 

But random JetNation posters have the inside track to what’s going on and not the media talking heads connected to these teams... amazing 

You ever consider you both may be correct? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

You have to look at Sewell. He's considered the best LT to come out in years.  Cincy would jump all over him at #2 as would Miami.  The trade would really be Becton for Cincy's #5 and a 3rd. You're looking at it like we are losing our #2. Becton was taken at #11. Sewell will go top 5.  What's the point value between 11 and 5? Its 900 or which equates to a mid 1st round pick.  In other words, to move up from 11 to 5 you'd have to surrender a mid 1st round pick.  Essentially you're switching a better prospect out for the other and I'm sure they'd be able to add a pick or two to the deal.  As for the QB's in this draft, there is no sure thing. And you'd still have the #5 to take one of Fields, Wilson, Lance. They all seem to be pretty much on the same plane, young, raw, unproven.  Of course Cincy would have to first trade for Becton first before the draft.

This is so much a horrible idea that I was tempted to just ignore it, but I've decided to respond.

Becton may be good enough to make the pro-bowl next year.  Sewell may be an upgrade, but possibly not a significant upgrade.  It would be like trading Joe Montana in his prime for Tom Brady, thus moving down 3 spots and picking up a 3rd rounder, which is ridiculous.  The move down from 2 to 5 in the first round, is like the Jets giving up 3- 2nd round picks to move from #6 to #3 like they did 3 years ago.  How about the Jets trading Becton to Cincy for 3- 2nd round picks, and their #5?

That would at least make some sense.

So, you want to move down 3 spots for a player that might be an upgrade, but not a significant upgrade to get a 3rd round pick? Becton is one of the Jets bright spots on the team, which is devoid of talent to begin with?  We got Jabari Zanuga with one of 3rd round picks last year, and Polite the year before that, with Polite a bust and Zanuga a possible bust.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Na that's called a guess and a wish. I do that too. Except i have them trading down for Chase, a 2nd and 3rd rounder and a 2021 1st. 

BS - I've been saying it for two months.  

It's not a hope or a wish, it's the only thing that makes any sense.  

I like Sam and would have no problem with them giving him a chance with a real coach and team - but it doesn't make sense. 

The salary numbers don't align very for the situation, this is year 1 of a rebuild, keeping Sam would mean he would have to win now  The fan pressure he'll face to win in NY this year vs. a rookie - will give their rebuild a chance...and even all of that JD might have been able to live with IF he didn't have the #2 pick - but he does.  

Wilson has emerged as the clear #2 QB prospect and if Pauline is to be believed the Jets agree with that....

Hence, Jets will trade Sam and take Wilson at 2. 

It's not a guess or a wish.  When you take emotion out of it and look at the reality of the situation - it's really the only logical choice.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alka said:

This is so much a horrible idea that I was tempted to just ignore it, but I've decided to respond.

Becton may be good enough to make the pro-bowl next year.  Sewell may be an upgrade, but possibly not a significant upgrade.  It would be like trading Joe Montana in his prime for Tom Brady, thus moving down 3 spots and picking up a 3rd rounder, which is ridiculous.  The move down from 2 to 5 in the first round, is like the Jets giving up 3- 2nd round picks to move from #6 to #3 like they did 3 years ago.  How about the Jets trading Becton to Cincy for 3- 2nd round picks, and their #5?

So, you want to move down 3 spots for a player that might be an upgrade, but not a significant upgrade to get a 3rd round pick? Becton is one of the Jets bright spots on the team, which is devoid of talent to begin with?  We got Jabari Zanuga with one of 3rd round picks last year, and Polite the year before that, with Polite a bust and Zanuga a possible bust.

So stay at 2. Wilson turns out to be a bust. Becton's shelf life could becomes a major issue due to his weight.  There's a reason he wasn't taken top 5.  Not sold on Becton. Not sold on Wilson Fields or Lance.  They are all CRAP Shoots. Sewell was the Outland trophy winner at age 20. Remarkable.  He'd be a definite upgrade to Becton. And you're not moving DOWN 3 spots. DUH. You take Sewell at #2 and trade Becton, who was a #11 pick, to Cincy for their #5 and another pick.   Thats a jump from 11 to 5 which is equivalent to 900 points. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

If Pauline said “The Jets are likely to run it back with Darnold” you would’ve been saying the opposite. Funny how anyone saying the Jets are likely to jettison Darnold is instantly non credible. 

But random JetNation posters have the inside track to what’s going on and not the media talking heads connected to these teams... amazing 

Your probably right. We all react to this stuff, based on our own bias. I've said since day 1. Running it back with Darnold, makes the most sense 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, maury77 said:

1) Joe Douglas is at North Dakota State today. Sure, the Jets may be hypothetically leaning towards Wilson, but if the decisions had been made, the team wouldn't be scouting Lance (unless Douglas is there to scout Rudnaz, but I doubt he would fly out for that). 

2) I'm a big fan of Pauline, but I still remember him telling me 20 minutes before the draft that Dareus was going number 1 and the Panthers selected Newton. 

Trent Dildo. Keep Darnold LOL.  Worst QB to win a SB.  Best QB in handing ball off in SB.  

7 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

So stay at 2. Wilson turns out to be a bust. Becton's shelf life could becomes a major issue due to his weight.  There's a reason he wasn't taken top 5.  Not sold on Becton. Not sold on Wilson Fields or Lance.  They are all CRAP Shoots. Sewell was the Outland trophy winner at age 20. Remarkable.  He'd be a definite upgrade to Becton. And you're not moving DOWN 3 spots. DUH. You take Sewell at #2 and trade Becton, who was a #11 pick, to Cincy for their #5 and another pick.   Thats a jump from 11 to 5 which is equivalent to 900 points. 

Trade and Sewell becomes a bust and Becton becomes an All-pro.   And Wilson becomes the next Aaron Rodgers.

We can all play that game.  Everyone's a crap shoot.  Sewell hasn't played football in over a year.  He's by no means a lock.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Take Sewell at #2, trade Becton to Cincy for their #5 and a 3rd rounder.  You've just upgraded the LT position with the best LT prospect in ages and traded the value of a #11 pick for the value of a #5 pick.  They would bite like a shark at the beach.  They are desperate for a LT.  Take whatever QB is there at #5 or trade back and get more picks. If JD is not absolutely sold on a QB in this draft then just add playmakers.  Sooner or later we have to luck out on a QB.  Herbert, Mahomes, Watson, Rodgers, Brady, etc etc etc were not top 5 picks.  Our roster STINKS and I'm not a big fan of how JD has brought in FA's. He seems to be better at drafting. But it's still early in his GM role so hopefully he hits pay dirt this year.  

interesting trade scenario.  i don't think anyone considered this type of swap.  of course you'd need cincy to go along.

I've all but mentally surrendered re: this draft and who we're taking at #2.

It's probably Wilson.

He's the last player I'd take, I think he's undersized, has played underwhelming competition, and is basically a one year hype wonder with too little resume and too much hype.  And despite what some say, I don't see anything "NFL Special" when I see his play on video.

But I guess I'll have to hope I'm wrong.  Because more and more I am starting to believe he is the guy they want.  Just makes vastly too much sense from a CYA perspective for the GM (Wilson is by and away the "safe" move for a GM in that spot) and it resets the J.D.-on-the-hot-seat clock, basically meaning nothing he's done the past two years matter, he may as well be considered a rookie GM this year, perception wise.

If he's the pick, I'm gonna be pretty down about it, but such is life.  All you can do is hope you're 100% wrong, because if he's the pick, he's the guy for at least 3-4 years minimum, just like Sam was.  Just would love one of these cycles to not feel like they're drafting obviously flawed QB's.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Absolutely not true. Just because they might be leaning towards one guy doesn't mean you just stop doing your homework on everyone else, especially the top guys. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

The Jets will not take Penei Sewell at #2. If they do stick with Darnold and opt against taking a QB #2, they will trade down and seek to draft Pitts. Joe Douglas has been monitoring him since his early high school years and is extremely high on him. If they traded down and he were to get selected ahead of their pick, then its hard to say what direction they would go. They're high on Jaylen Waddle, but I'm not sure if they're high enough to select him top 10. I say this with conviction because I trust the sources that have told me this... they've never steered me wrong RE: draft in the past 6 years

I think it only makes sense that Sewell leaks are to bait some teams to up their trade offers. I don't think it would make sense to have a draft at #2 plan, it goes contrary to everything you and Mogglez and others have been saying about weighing Trade Sam or Trade #2 as the two main plans being considered. 

The Jets will not take Penei Sewell at #2. If they do stick with Darnold and opt against taking a QB #2, they will trade down and seek to draft Pitts. Joe Douglas has been monitoring him since his early high school years and is extremely high on him. If they traded down and he were to get selected ahead of their pick, then its hard to say what direction they would go. They're high on Jaylen Waddle, but I'm not sure if they're high enough to select him top 10. I say this with conviction because I trust the sources that have told me this... they've never steered me wrong RE: draft in the past 6 years

And if they stay at #2 for a QB....Wilson?! 

(I'm reading between the lines and making my own assumptions)

Some pretty mixed reviews wrt Sewell

Penei Sewell, Oregon (6-foot-6, 330 pounds): Started 20 games at left tackle in 2018 and 2019 before opting out in 2020. “I compared him to (Tony) Boselli but with quicker feet,” one scout said. “Dominant run and pass blocker. It’s very seldom you find a big-time athlete that is nasty, too. Anthony Munoz and Boselli, guys like that, they really liked to put guys on their tail. But, he didn’t play this year.” Won’t turn 21 until mid-October. “His deal will be character,” a second scout said. “It’s been easy for him. I don’t know that he’s 100 percent pro right now. He has to deal with some growing pains in terms of professionalism. But the guy is tough and passionate on the field.”

Comes from a football family. “Every time I circle back and watch him, I just don’t see it,” said a third scout. “He’s not that gifted with his feet. He doesn’t really play that physical or strong. He can get in the way with things, but he’s not a really good finisher and his balance isn’t that great. His technique is off. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done.”

39 minutes ago, Alka said:

Good point but if joe doesnt value wilson as much as the hype and has the ohio kid as an equal, you wind up with fields and sewell replaces becton which is supposed to be an upgrade. Plus an extra 3rd which should not be poo pood.

but if your high on zach just take him at 2

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I've all but mentally surrendered re: this draft and who we're taking at #2.

It's probably Wilson.

He's the last player I'd take, I think he's undersized, has played underwhelming competition, and is basically a one year hype wonder with too little resume and too much hype.  And despite what some say, I don't see anything "NFL Special" when I see his play on video.

But I guess I'll have to hope I'm wrong.  Because more and more I am starting to believe he is the guy they want.  Just makes vastly too much sense from a CYA perspective for the GM (Wilson is by and away the "safe" move for a GM in that spot) and it resets the J.D.-on-the-hot-seat clock, basically meaning nothing he's done the past two years matter, he may as well be considered a rookie GM this year, perception wise.

If he's the pick, I'm gonna be pretty down about it, but such is life.  All you can do is hope you're 100% wrong, because if he's the pick, he's the guy for at least 3-4 years minimum, just like Sam was.  Just would love one of these cycles to not feel like they're drafting obviously flawed QB's.

Dude he will be better than darnold by a long shot. If he is rated 15 in the league thats a huge upgrade

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

It's amazing how people can look at the same info, and draw different conclusions. If Wilson was the choice. Ths Jet's would have no reason to leak anything to anybody 

Thank you...

Indeed, leaking the idea that you are going to Draft Wilson HURTS the Jets by LOWERING the potential trade value of Sam Darnold, because folks now believe that you are trying to get rid of Darnold, unless less you are willing to carry both QBs!!

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

After much consternation I'm thinking Wilson is the way to go.  I don't want to trade three or four Firsts for a QB, as good as he is.  We need a lot of good players.

If it is Wilson, the Jets are set back by at least 4 years and Joe Douglas will go down in Jets history as another "also ran" 

Wilson is a bust waiting to happen.  So is Fields.

Keep Darnold and draft the best WR or OL, or if it must be a QB take Mac Jones...

People keep talking about offense, offense. Pitts and Waddle create more mismatches than anybody else they could draft. It's pretty clear you're tuned in. Your post puts a ? on my face?

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you...

Indeed, leaking the idea that you are going to Draft Wilson HURTS the Jets by LOWERING the potential trade value of Sam Darnold, because folks now believe that you are trying to get rid of Darnold, unless less you are willing to carry both QBs!!

???

• Upvote 1

i can really see them trading back and taking pitts, that's a jetsy move.  and truth the guy seems like a beast.  but i still don't think they have as much faith in darnold as they're letting on and they're just waiting for the right trade offer and then darnold will be gone and the draft will become more predictable.

8 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Dude he will be better than darnold by a long shot. If he is rated 15 in the league thats a huge upgrade

"Better than Darnold" and "ranked 15th" isn't my criteria for a #2 overall pick starting QB.  

Be happy, be excited, I'm happy for you.  I'm not a fan.  But he'll have every opportunity to earn my fandom, same as Sam did.

• Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Absolutely not true. Just because they might be leaning towards one guy doesn't mean you just stop doing your homework on everyone else, especially the top guys. 

Which part isn't true? That Douglas isn't at North Dakota State? I said even if they are leaning towards one guy, they llikely have not finalized their decision.