Pats bring back Cam Newton on 1 year deal

1 hour ago, Jet Blast said:

I would never second guess Belichick. He must know something that we don't.

He knows he needs a QB next year. He will draft a QB this year, Lance or Jones or some other QB and have him sit under Cam. Not rocket science.  

• Upvote 1

Cams a shell of himself physically.. that shoulder injury ruined his once cannon of an arm..

Its crazy that he’s only in his early 30’s and looks shot physically already but that’s what happens when you’re a QB who  ran a lot and took hits and was also used like a FB in short yardage a lot..

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

One year deal. They're going to draft a QB and sit them for a year.

I will say I'm surprised. I thought for sure they were going to work out a deal to bring Garoppolo back.

Yeah, locking yourself into Cam as your bridge QB when there were going to be other options on the open market makes little sense.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, locking yourself into Cam as your bridge QB when there were going to be other options on the open market makes little sense.  

I have to imagine they are either drafting a QB this year or bringing someone in to compete with Cam

19 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I just want to remind everyone that we paid Ryan Fitzpatrick 12m for one year.... that was 5 years ago. I realize Cam is well beyond his prime, but 14m for one year of service from a former MVP QB is a more than reasonable deal.

You don't pay a guy for what he's done.  You pay him for what you expect him to do.  This being what will likely end up being 1 year, $6M or so is reasonable, I guess, but the real problem isn't the money, its locking themselves in to a substandard vet option when they could have potentially upgraded.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I get that.  But I'm saying Belichick should have let Cam go and looked to bring in 2 new QB's.  One rookie, one veteran.

Probably. But I'm guessing that he likes Cam as his veteran option (with a full year under his belt in that system) with a rookie on the way. If the Jets keep Darnold, Cam wouldn't even be the worst QB in the division. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Probably. But I'm guessing that he likes Cam as his veteran option (with a full year under his belt in that system) with a rookie on the way. If the Jets keep Darnold, Cam wouldn't even be the worst QB in the division. 

If system familiarity was the goal, then I think he should have at least waited to see what Garoppolo's availability would be.  Jimmy G is not a good QB but at least his body isn't broken down.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If system familiarity was the goal, then I think he should have at least waited to see what Garoppolo's availability would be.  Jimmy G is not a good QB but at least his body isn't broken down.  

I actually like Jimmy G more than most (my biggest issue with him is durability), but I would guess that the Pats have checked in on him in some way or another. But I agree that I would prefer Jimmy G to Cam. 

i don't see this as very surprising.  newton's contract is well below that of a top starter so it's not going to impact their ability to sign free agents.  and while newton didn't put up great numbers just how much of that was a bad arm versus bad receivers is something to consider.  the guy can still run pretty well.  i do think this means the patsies will be using a higher round pick for a qb.

On 3/12/2021 at 11:54 AM, Warfish said:

Cam starts the season.

Mac Jones, picked at the bottom of the first round, finishes the season.

JMO.

They get the Second wild card that I believe was put there for just that purpose. The NFL wants nothing more than a Belicheck vs Brady  Suoerbowl.