Jets targeting Sheldon Rankins and Denico Autry

7 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

I was not aware there was a nose in a 4-3

Different alignments but generally referred to as a nose (nose guard or nose tackle).  In an odd front or a 50 (bear, okie, eagle) generally your nose would be head up of the center (a 0 tech), but in certain cases could play a shade or a 1 tech there. 

in a 4-3 or an even front the nose could be anywhere from a 1 tech to a 2 tech possibly even a 3 tech depending on the scheme.  in an Over front (D. Tackle in a 3 tech to the strong side) the Nose generally is in a 1 tech, where as an Under front (D Tackle in a 1 tech to the strong side) the Nose is generally in a 2/3 depending on scheme. 

A lot of defensive guys have different ways of putting things.  For instance if running a 3-3 stack defense I would say the strong side 4/5 tech is my SE or strong end and my backdside end is my Quick End.  However I know guys that refer to their strong side end as the Tackle and their weakside end as strickly the END.  

Hell it branches to offense too.  I was brought up in an offense referring to offensive skill guys in terms of X,Y,Z,H 2,3 .  The offensive coordinator I work with now uses F,S,R,J A,B.  Its all the same thing just nuances of language. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bungaman said:

He's hearing whatever will generate clicks. Pray tell me if there is a nose tackle in a 4-3 defense. 

Look, I'm old like you (I'm 63,) but I don't fall for this kind of BS, let alone pass it along. (And I am half Greek, and a Greek citizen. My spouse is Greek. They live in Greece while I work my naughty bits to the bone until I can retire in 5 or six years.) What is your excuse? If you are a fan of another team, just go to their board.

Μπράβο!

11 hours ago, Bungaman said:

He's hearing whatever will generate clicks. Pray tell me if there is a nose tackle in a 4-3 defense. 

Look, I'm old like you (I'm 63,) but I don't fall for this kind of BS, let alone pass it along. (And I am half Greek, and a Greek citizen. My spouse is Greek. They live in Greece while I work my naughty bits to the bone until I can retire in 5 or six years.) What is your excuse? If you are a fan of another team, just go to their board.

I’m not a dline guru but I believe there’s still some base 40 fronts featuring a nose guard to the strong side. 

Either way (honest question) when was the last time Pauline had a scoop. Didn’t all his in house confidantes leave with Bradway/Tanny 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's hard to take this seriously when Saleh's defense is a 4-3 with no NT.  So how do you give credibility to the report when a basic premise is just wrong.

Saleh doesn’t run a traditional 4-3..  Its more like a 4-3 Over that’s offset from the traditional 4 3, so therefore one of the DTs is a one tech.  It would make sense for Foley to be that position, as he’s really traditionally built for that.  However we know from SF that Saleh really values speed and athleticism more than size, so perhaps he’s looking to recreate that.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, kdels62 said:

There isn’t a traditional NT but the closest thing to NT is called NT. Like technically the role is a 2i DT on the strong side but I’ve seen it called NT before. The actual DT position is just a basically a 3-tech. I understand Saleh wanting Quinnen to play “NT” since he’ll be working on Gs and Cs giving Q an athleticism advantage. 

Idk what I did here but I didn’t mean to do it so here’s Karen Fukuhara

Sassy Season 2 GIF by The Boys

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, kdels62 said:

There isn’t a traditional NT but the closest thing to NT is called NT. Like technically the role is a 2i DT on the strong side but I’ve seen it called NT before. The DT position is just a basically a 3-tech. I understand Saleh wanting Quinnen to play “NT” since he’ll be working on Gs and Cs giving Q an athleticism advantage. 

The only problem with moving quinnen to the 1-2i space is that he will surely be double teamed every single play.

26 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The only problem with moving quinnen to the 1-2i space is that he will surely be double teamed every single play.

Deforest Buckner played that role and was able to get 13 sacks then 8 sacks. Quinnen should be able to do similar.

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

(My Greek is too lame to put in the Hellenic character keyboard.) Ti kanete? Eise hellenas?

Ohi, ego then emai Hellenes.

Yeah my Greek isn’t the best either! That’s because my wife’s Greek and I’m Italian! But I fell in love with Ellada first time I set foot over 20 years ago. So I string together enough words to actually fool a few!

hopefully we can go back soon, man I miss the food!

• Post of the Week 1

On 3/12/2021 at 9:25 AM, Bungaman said:

Some schemes will go 2i and 5 on the weak side, and 3 and 7 on the strong. I've coached that system before.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Ohi, ego then emai Hellenes.

Yeah my Greek isn’t the best either! That’s because my wife’s Greek and I’m Italian! But I fell in love with Ellada first time I set foot over 20 years ago. So I string together enough words to actually fool a few!

hopefully we can go back soon, man I miss the food!

I booked a flight about a month ago to get there in June - changeable but not refundable. Let's hope I get my jab in time - VT seems to be on track for that.

Your family get togethers must be DYNAMITE. Between Greek food and Italian food - no wonder I have excess baggage. My Greek mom taught me the cooking basics, plus some traditional dishes. My Irish dad certainly knew it beat the stuff he ate while growing up ... 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, playtowinthegame said:

I tried telling people Joe Douglas is going to be Thrifty Joe when it comes to signing UFA's. After watching @GREENBEAN last video regarding the salary cap, I believe there is a good possibility we'll see trades with teams in cap hell, where we get a really good player for a low draft pick. This off-season we'll get some Thrifty Joe's and then some Trader Joe's. Come draft time next month we'll see Joe Douglas work his magic, and when the 2021 draft is over I will not be at all shocked if the Jets are picking 3 times in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft. 

yeah man,  i am really thinking a lot of that starts to happen within the next day or two. i'd be surprised if it didn't.  i also think we;re gonna see JD SIgn a more well named player or two up top. 

On 3/12/2021 at 10:43 AM, Beerfish said:

I just detest getting rid of good players or not picking good players 'due to scheme fit'

I know it is a legit thing but it annoys me.

Seriously. We have like 3 really good, young, proven players on rookie deals. Let's get rid of one of them, to cut that number down to two, before making any improvements.

Makes me think of Hermway dumping productive personnel because of lack of scheme fit, then 5 years later Manginibaum dumping Herm's precious scheme fit guys to get back the very types he'd inherited & dumped.

They should be extending Fatusaki this spring, not dumping him. He's one of the rare acorns found by Douglas's blind squirrel predecessor (the other being Anderson, which Douglas+Gase promptly and unnecessarily screwed up). 

Two steps forward builds the team twice as fast when it's not accompanied by one step back.

• Upvote 3

On 3/12/2021 at 2:23 PM, kmnj said:

please tell me the value Joe has gotten in FA -last year he signed a bunch of bums as free agents and extended bums here as well(griffin an example) -I could list all of the free agents joe signed and the contracts but they pretty much all sucked and none of them were not bargains (because they sucked) . I suppose you could argue at least he didnt sign the bumbs to long term big cap deals but that is about it. 

How were the so called bad signings great for us? Do you understand we have the second worst team in the NFL last year and I would argue the worst roster as the Jaqs have a better rb and a better wr core.    Joe had a chance to upgrade the line last year and went on the cheap and it failed. Joe should landed conklin. 

Right now all Joe has done is taken a bad team and made them much worse-his drafted players and his free agents won almost no games last season.  

This is all very true.  If you choose to interpret it this way you are 100% correct.

But...it can also be viewed with the lens that last year was a throw away and all the one-year contracts were designed to start over.  That he had no intention of trying to win last year but to simply clean out the entire Mac stench in one off-season.

The rebuild starts this year.  

I'm choosing to view it this way....but I could very well be wrong!

On 3/12/2021 at 5:06 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

? are you kidding? the line was better, alot better. You could see them actually snap the ball, not all stars but they were much better than what was there before. All his contracts were set up to get rid of guys if they didnt pan out, even fants played decent. 

Joe took a bad team got rid of the BS contracts and Players - whille adding draft capitol - to get us in a postion to restock the shelves the right way with good players and contacts. 

Youre just bitter and placing blame in the wrong area. Just because Gase was terrible doesnt mean that Joe didnt do everything he needed to to clean the books and give us a shot this year. 

Meh.

Fant wasn’t even an upgrade from Beachum - and is probably a downgrade at that - at 10x Beachum’s cost, and with Beachum having every bit of Fant’s versatility to play LT if needed during a later drafted tackle’s rookie season.

He’s spent pretty big on the center position between Kalil & McGovern and this has yet to yield even average production. The unfortunate reality is that duo hasn’t demonstrably outplayed the dirt-cheap center Douglas inherited, in bleh starter Harrison.

Lewis was a good pickup as a cheap trade in 2019; he was not a good player to re-sign with a 10-fold raise in 2020. It’d be generous to call his play “average” on balance for the year. One also wonders if he was a significant enough addition that it shied him away from making an earlier or better (less projecty) iOL investment than Clark in the draft a month later.

GVR is fine as a backup, but is the type you hope gets overtaken by a rookie by midseason, not starting from start to finish (generally poorly as well). I don’t fault the player; he is what he is: a solid-depth/marginal-starter, and no one expects Quenton Nelson production out of him. He’s like what Harrison was at center. 

The FA parts of the line he built do suck. That he was less incompetent in those FA additions than Maccagnan isn’t really anything to get excited about. 

They suck except for Big Ticket. Becton I love - deeply and hopelessly lol - but really, Douglas couldn’t have screwed that one up unless he somehow went WR while his penciled-in tackle starters were career backups Fant/Edoga. His only realistic choices were between Becton & Wirfs. Credit him for not going full-Maccagnan there, but don’t give too much credit.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh.

Fant wasn’t even an upgrade from Beachum - and is probably a downgrade at that - at 10x Beachum’s cost, and with Beachum having every bit of Fant’s versatility to play LT if needed during a later drafted tackle’s rookie season.

He’s spent pretty big on the center position between Kalil & McGovern and this has yet to yield even average production. The unfortunate reality is that duo hasn’t demonstrably outplayed the dirt-cheap center Douglas inherited, in bleh starter Harrison.

Lewis was a good pickup as a cheap trade in 2019; he was not a good player to re-sign with a 10-fold raise in 2020. It’d be generous to call his play “average” on balance for the year. One also wonders if he was a significant enough addition that it shied him away from making an earlier or better (less projecty) iOL investment than Clark in the draft a month later.

GVR is fine as a backup, but is the type you hope gets overtaken by a rookie by midseason, not starting from start to finish (generally poorly as well). I don’t fault the player; he is what he is: a solid-depth/marginal-starter, and no one expects Quenton Nelson production out of him. He’s like what Harrison was at center. 

The FA parts of the line he built do suck. That he was less incompetent in those FA additions than Maccagnan isn’t really anything to get excited about. 

They suck except for Big Ticket. Becton I love - deeply and hopelessly lol - but really, Douglas couldn’t have screwed that one up unless he somehow went WR while his penciled-in tackle starters were career backups Fant/Edoga. His only realistic choices were between Becton & Wirfs. Credit him for not going full-Maccagnan there, but don’t give too much credit.

I give him credit for putting a line on the field that was much better than the guy before that were not nfl quality. Like I said not all stars but was able to get guys to get the job done. Also setting us up this year to add and build upon the start of a foundation in becton.

Macc screws up that pick 10 out of 10 times. Joe did not because is is a good GM possibly great.

You say his FA parts suck but they don't suck they are decent and much morr importantly they are better than what we had before.

Look im not a fan of Lewis but let's not act like that is hmthe measure, it's not one player it's the line as a unit. By your evaluation no gm could ever be seen as good because no one bats 1000 man.

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I give him credit for putting a line on the field that was much better than the guy before that were not nfl quality. Like I said not all stars but was able to get guys to get the job done. Also setting us up this year to add and build upon the start of a foundation in becton.

Macc screws up that pick 10 out of 10 times. Joe did not because is is a good GM possibly great.

You say his FA parts suck but they don't suck they are decent and much morr importantly they are better than what we had before.

Look im not a fan of Lewis but let's not act like that is hmthe measure, it's not one player it's the line as a unit. By your evaluation no gm could ever be seen as good because no one bats 1000 man.

I don't. You and I could have assembled a line on the field superior to the one Maccagnan did.

Maccagnan is not the measuring stick by which we decide if someone's competent. He was so terrible that one can both do a better job than Maccagnan and still not do an acceptably competent job. 

Otherwise it's like saying a current rainstorm isn't actually sh***y weather because in the past there's been a hurricane. 

I disagree wholeheartedly with your exaggeration that I'm taking some position that batting under 1.000 makes someone terrible. My problem with his FAs isn't that Douglas is merely batting .325 -- it's that he's batting under .100 (possibly .000 but I'm not thinking of every player offhand right now) since getting here, despite plenty of cap room and needs all around where any decent player at any position would be an upgrade; he wasn't even handicapped by having to thread the needle at just 2 positions (when such position upgrades may not have been available in that FA period). Any good player he added at any position would have been an automatic starter. 

Name one veteran (whether via FA or trade), that Douglas has brought in, who demonstrably performed at at-least an average level in 2020 (never mind above average, which is what good GMs find). I mean a really solid guy you are absolutely thrilled we have. I can't think of one.

So it's not that he isn't batting 1.000 -- it's that he isn't batting anywhere near .250 or even .150 yet. I don't have no hope for him (far from it; I just think he was trying to show - via lower-priced additions - that he's smarter than the rest, as a lot of 1st time GMs do). But his performance in FA is severely lacking thus far. The draft mostly doesn't look good yet, but they were just rookies with a covid rookie camp and injuries so I'm going to keep an open mind on them for now. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't. You and I could have assembled a line on the field superior to the one Maccagnan did.

Maccagnan is not the measuring stick by which we decide if someone's competent. He was so terrible that one can both do a better job than Maccagnan and still not do an acceptably competent job. 

Otherwise it's like saying a current rainstorm isn't actually sh***y weather because in the past there's been a hurricane. 

I disagree wholeheartedly with your exaggeration that I'm taking some position that batting under 1.000 makes someone terrible. My problem with his FAs isn't that Douglas is merely batting .325 -- it's that he's batting under .100 (possibly .000 but I'm not thinking of every player offhand right now) since getting here, despite plenty of cap room and needs all around where any decent player at any position would be an upgrade; he wasn't even handicapped by having to thread the needle at just 2 positions (when such position upgrades may not have been available in that FA period). Any good player he added at any position would have been an automatic starter. 

Name one veteran (whether via FA or trade), that Douglas has brought in, who demonstrably performed at at-least an average level in 2020 (never mind above average, which is what good GMs find). I mean a really solid guy you are absolutely thrilled we have. I can't think of one.

So it's not that he isn't batting 1.000 -- it's that he isn't batting anywhere near .250 or even .150 yet. I don't have no hope for him (far from it; I just think he was trying to show - via lower-priced additions - that he's smarter than the rest, as a lot of 1st time GMs do). But his performance in FA is severely lacking thus far. The draft mostly doesn't look good yet, but they were just rookies with a covid rookie camp and injuries so I'm going to keep an open mind on them for now. 

Short answer: JD knew Gase was a dead man walking from the get go, and didn't want to build a team in his image. He signed a bunch of hole fillers to 1 year deals. 

I have a feeling with Saleh and Co., it will be a bit different this year....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Short answer: JD knew Gase was a dead man walking from the get go, and didn't want to build a team in his image. He signed a bunch of hole fillers to 1 year deals. 

I have a feeling with Saleh and Co., it will be a bit different this year....

I doubt all of this very much. Even further doubt that he was spending about $50MM on new players when he could’ve gotten by with less than half that if he was just saving for later.

That’s making the results fit desire based on the bad outcome. Douglas’s own face told you he was unhappy with the results, not Mr. Burns twiddling his fingers while muttering “excellent” under his breath.

You’re more or less suggesting he was tanking. Even though some only had 1 year deals, they still ate up future cap room that he now doesn’t have in 2021. Plus it looks very much like 2-3 of his 2020 linemen alone are going to return for 2021 (McGovern, whose season is guaranteed already; Fant, whose season will become effectively guaranteed a week from now; and GVR because I think he wants one OL position filled cheaply, whether that’s a cheap veteran or a lower draft pick). Only one I see going is Lewis, and despite many cuts on other teams he hasn’t been let go yet himself. If he wanted a cheap one year deal he could’ve brought Beachum back instead of signing Fant. 

He had Perriman on a one year deal, I think because he believed he was getting a potential Anderson upgrade for less money, and if he panned out he could be tagged and/or extended. He’s already made a public mea culpa on that error.

What other one year hole-filler was there? Gore was a Gase request, and in 2020 Bell was allegedly coming into camp in shape for a change, remember? No one would have gone balls deep on another RB in that situation: Maccagnan made that bed & there was no getting out of it, so the only thing to do was hope for a rebound season. 

Most ridiculous of all, that you’re saying he quasi-tanked while trying to assess whether or not Darnold was a keeper. That’s the opposite of future-planning.

Sorry I’m not buying any part of Douglas wasn’t really trying in the 2020 offseason because he knew before coming here that Gase would be fired. Then further felt Gase was dead man walking in March 2020, coming off a 6-2 finish to the 2019 season. Unlikely isn’t even a strong enough word.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:29 PM, Paradis said:

I’m not a dline guru but I believe there’s still some base 40 fronts featuring a nose guard to the strong side. 

Either way (honest question) when was the last time Pauline had a scoop. Didn’t all his in house confidantes leave with Bradway/Tanny 

Seems like he had a scoop. 

3 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Jets actually got someone!

At a position barely of need!

They needed depth at DT... in 4-3 you play 2 DT a lot and need extra depth.

• Upvote 3