To be clear; 0% chance Jets trade OUT of #2 and still take a QB

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

I understand this is a pompous position to take but I’m seeing some of you pull the Charlie Day gif here with trades back and taking Lance, or whomever etc. 

that will never happen. If you love a QB you don’t fck around. Joe doesn’t love Lance at 8. He either loves him at #2 or not at all. There is no cake and eat it too scenario. 

Trade back means Darnold and playmakers.  Pick your side of the Fence. 

@The Crusher is CRUSHED

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

What happens if after the pro days are done JD likes Wilson, Fields and Lance? How about getting a haul from Carolina and still take a QB to his liking.

Exactly.  All three have varying strengths and flaws. And all three are strangely unique.  It's hard to compare one against the other and find prototypical traits.  Each one is really a distinct talent.  I'd be happy with either of the three. Thus, I wouldn't hesitate and trade back - not to far as to miss out on one of them. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

I understand this is a pompous position to take but I’m seeing some of you pull the Charlie Day gif here with trades back and taking Lance, or whomever etc. 

that will never happen. If you love a QB you don’t fck around. Joe doesn’t love Lance at 8. He either loves him at #2 or not at all. There is no cake and eat it too scenario. 

Not in disagreement with this when it pertains to the top ranked QBs but just curious.  What if the Jets end up with Mac Jones as their top QB?  Do they take him at 2?

4 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Not in disagreement with this when it pertains to the top ranked QBs but just curious.  What if the Jets end up with Mac Jones as their top QB?  Do they take him at 2?

If Mac Jones is their top QB they absolutely need to take him at 2. 

That’s the deal.

Having said that, if Mac Jones is their top QB, the entire regime needs to be cleaned out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Paradis said:

If you’ve been around the NFL long enough you’ve seen QBs come and go. They’re vital but they’re just people and there’s always options. Do you want to start the clock on the rookie contract in 2021 with a roster missing a lot of pieces? Does make more sense to start that clock next year with a better roster that can support what you’re going to ask if your rookie QB?

It’s a risky play that puts a lot of pressure in the 2022 QB class being strong. 

Kicking the can down the road is rarely a good idea at QB. 

And drafting a QB at 2 does not preclude Douglas from putting together a competitive roster this offseason. If you’re still so afraid of the rookie QB + bad roster combo, go get a bridge QB. There will be several viable options there in free agency. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, nycdan said:

PHI once had 2 QBs.  One got hurt.  The other won the SB.

Just sayin...

That 2nd QB doesn’t need to be Darnold. In fact it absolutely shouldn’t.  After all, is it really worth sacrificing the 2nd round pick we’d get in a trade to hope he’s a Nick Foles?

12 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Your right!!!

The fallacy of @Paradis' argument is that he is assuming you either have a QB graded No.1 or not at all!

WRONG!!!!

Think what if you have a QB properly and rightly graded at No.23? 

Do you reach up and draft him because you have a need even if you don't believe the value is NOT there? Of course not!

You draft people according to where you value them and because of need..

In the instant case, what if the Jets believe that Wilson, Fields or Trey Lance is the good pick at best pick at 8 or 10 and all of he above might fit your system and you are confident taht you will let them sit and not rush them.  Under this scenario you might bee willing to drop down and take any one of the three!

This is precisely what Maccagnan did when he traded with the Colts.  No way could he know that Darnold was going to be passed over for Baker Mayfield.  The only way that trade makes a lick of sense based on what we know is that Mac had to say to himself I will be happy with Mayfied, Darnold or Rosen as the pick.

And that worked out swell for us.  lol.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Look, I don't love Daniel Jones but the Giants took a stand and went with it.  Could they have used pick 17 to take him or traded back a bit and gotten him at 10 or 12 or whatever? Sure, but they decided, rightly or wrongly, that he was their guy.

Gotta have conviction about your QB.  

And how has that worked out to this point. If anything you just made the argument to trade back and get your guy later. 

I honestly don't  see JD trading back and still having conviction  to take a QB depending on who is available,  more so he takes the player that presents the best value at a need position but that very  well could wind up being a QB.

If our GM loves a QB he's already lost.  There are multiple players at multiple positions where the grades will be very similar.   The GM and coaching staff should feel if a couple of guys get similar grades they can either develop them or they can't.  This failing in love with a prospect is for fans not GM's.  

There is no QB we drafted, including Namath where we had the 1st choice of QB's.   Miami got the best QB in a deep QB draft because GM's fell in love with guys not named Dan Marino.  The Jets got Darnold because he fell to us.  We would have been better off if the Giants took him and Josh Allen fell to us.

Every QB drafted has bust potential.  QB's and every other drafted prospect has to be developed.  All of the top QB's have bust and star potential.  If we can trade back a couple of spots and we get Lance or Fields we might be much better off than failing in love with Wilson.  If we get a dynamic play maker or another great OL man as part of the package even better.

Unless you're picking 1 you don't have the luxury of failing in love.  You either go with the one with the great body (Lance or Fields) or the one with the cute face (Wilson) get naked and see what happens.   

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

30 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If our GM loves a QB he's already lost.  There are multiple players at multiple positions where the grades will be very similar.   The GM and coaching staff should feel if a couple of guys get similar grades they can either develop them or they can't.  This failing in love with a prospect is for fans not GM's.  

There is no QB we drafted, including Namath where we had the 1st choice of QB's.   Miami got the best QB in a deep QB draft because GM's fell in love with guys not named Dan Marino.  The Jets got Darnold because he fell to us.  We would have been better off if the Giants took him and Josh Allen fell to us.

Every QB drafted has bust potential.  QB's and every other drafted prospect has to be developed.  All of the top QB's have bust and star potential.  If we can trade back a couple of spots and we get Lance or Fields we might be much better off than failing in love with Wilson.  If we get a dynamic play maker or another great OL man as part of the package even better.

Unless you're picking 1 you don't have the luxury of failing in love.  You either go with the one with the great body (Lance or Fields) or the one with the cute face (Wilson) get naked and see what happens.   

This is actually the opposite of the truth.  
If you’re a GM your job is to find the best prospects you can. Scout, watch film, do research and pick the person you believe to be the best.  

You don’t look at a bunch of guys and say. Well, the Jets passed on Marino, so I’ll just put the names in a hat and hope we get lucky.  

No, you act like a man and pick the guy you think has the best chance to succeed and live with the consequences of that choice.  

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If our GM loves a QB he's already lost.  There are multiple players at multiple positions where the grades will be very similar.

And QB is the most important position, by far, not even close.  Similar grades or not.  The QB position trumps all

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

Couldn't agree more.

If the Jets really believe in one of these QB's they will take that player with the #2 pick.

If @football guy’s hunch is right, we will try to trade down (to collect picks) and draft Pitts.

If the receivers are gone, and Pitts isn’t there, I could see us going for QB3/QB4 plus the extra picks (think 2nd this year, 1st next). 

Fields/Lance + 2nd + 1st > Wilson

Would we be trading down to target a QB per OP? No. We’d be targeting Pitts or one of the receivers.

Is there a 0% chance we trade down and still get a QB? No. Anything can happen. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Joe Namath went #1 overall 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmm it is thinking like this that got us Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Hackenberg and now Darnold. 

A Great QB is a big difference from a middling QB.   This is a world of difference and folks who don’t know the difference end up with QBs like those above and then not knowing what to do with them. 

You can’t compare Geno Smith/Christian Hackenberg because they were 2nd round picks. Your only comparison that is comparable is Sanchez.  What I am saying if the Jets think the guy is a FQB, then they should take him at 2 even if they have him rated at 5. 

46 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Joe Namath went #1 overall 

I believe he went No. 12 to the Cardinals in the draft.  The first QB taken in the NFL draft that year was Morton.  Interestingly we drafted Namath 1 and drafted a QB in the second, 4th and 7th round in the same draft.  Apparently we really needed a QB. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

#2 pick should get us a "sure thing" player i'm staying at #2 with the way this team drafts. 

You don't like Becton, Mims, Davis, Hall, etc?

"This team" has existed for 61 years. This is Joe Douglas second draft. He has zero connection to the events of the prior years before he was hired. 

Weird take.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Paradis said:

What if JD trades back and than Lance falls and is still available at #23. A QB falls almost every draft.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is actually the opposite of the truth.  
If you’re a GM your job is to find the best prospects you can. Scout, watch film, do research and pick the person you believe to be the best.  

You don’t look at a bunch of guys and say. Well, the Jets passed on Marino, so I’ll just put the names in a hat and hope we get lucky.  

No, you act like a man and pick the guy you think has the best chance to succeed and live with the consequences of that choice.  

The Jets fell in love with O'Brien in that draft and didn’t make a rational choice.   Most drafts don’t have a Marino or an Andrew Luck.  This draft Lawrence who isn’t a Marino or Luck is a clear choice.  The next group isn’t a clear choice.  A good team will pass altogether or make it work.  

The Jets just passed on Allen and Jackson for Darnold.  The Browns took Mayfield, a midget head case over those guys because it was love.  They had to have him.  Kissy face emoji.  

We may have the same grade on 3 QBs?

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You don't like Becton, Mims, Davis, Hall, etc?

"This team" has existed for 61 years. This is Joe Douglas second draft. He has zero connection to the events of the prior years before he was hired. 

Weird take.

Many GM's before JD have screwed up the draft in all 61 years. 

1 year proves nothing Becton was a no brainer pick. 

The others you mentioned unproven so far. 

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

And how has that worked out to this point. If anything you just made the argument to trade back and get your guy later. 

I honestly don't  see JD trading back and still having conviction  to take a QB depending on who is available,  more so he takes the player that presents the best value at a need position but that very  well could wind up being a QB.

That’s 20-20 hindsight. Not really working against my point which is prospective looking. 

You can’t hope your franchise QB is there if you trade back. Not if you are absolutely convinced he’s your guy. 

Gettleman may have miscalculated but he made his choice and stuck with it. He could have gotten stuck with Dwayne Haskins which would have been worse. Jones may still be serviceable. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

#2 pick should get us a "sure thing" player i'm staying at #2 with the way this team drafts. 

All the QBs drafted at #2 in the last 20 years

Mitch Trubisky

Carson Wentz

Marcus Mariota

RGIII

Zack Wilson would be the least talented player on that list, btw

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1