Would you take a Kicker at the end of this Draft?

If we're talking around 6 or 7, absolutely.

I would much rather land a starting Kicker than a DB, LB or OL who ends up on the practice squad and never makes the 53, which is probably the most likely outcome with most picks in those rounds.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

No, unless there is a college kciker with a history of making big, game on the line type kicks.  So may college games are decided by 2+ scores that not many kickers of these guys have to make pressure kicks often.  If I am drafting a kicker I need to know how he handles pressure and that can't be simulated at a pro day or workout.

• Upvote 1

Kickers and punters are very iffy.  Some of the guys who look pure awesome in college look bad in the pros.

The dude tampa took a few years back (Gonzalez) in the 3rd round and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Our own punter is an example, total rocket leg and weapon in college, crap 1st year.

We should have a solid kicker as it is except for the genius of mccagnan who let a kicker go over a million bucks but gave ben ijalana 8 million to sit on the bench.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Kickers and punters are very iffy.  Some of the guys who look pure awesome in college look bad in the pros.

The dude tampa took a few years back (Gonzalez) in the 3rd round and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Our own punter is an example, total rock leg and weapon in college, crap 1st year.

We should have a solid kicker as it is except for the genius of mccagnan who let a kicker go over a million bucks but gave ben ijalana 8 million to sit on the bench.

Yeah, what do you think happened with Braden Mann?  Why was he in the bottom 20% of punters as measured across most metrics (including ones that account for the Jets horrid offense and bad field position most of the time)?

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah, what do you think happened with Braden Mann?  Why was he in the bottom 20% of punters as measured across most metrics (including ones that account for the Jets horrid offense and bad field position most of the time)?

I see stuff like that and I think 'over coaching'.  As in change in mechanics, speeding up kicking motion, placement above all else instead of letting him pound it, hardly anyone returns kicks these days anyway.

Gotta be honest, I thought Lac was a perfectly fine punter and moving on from him created a hole we didn’t need to created but then needed to fill hence the need to take Mann. 

Now, I had no idea who Mann was but when I read all the draft reports I got excited, we somehow got the best punter in the NFL. 

Not so much. I’m hoping he become so. 

I would have preferred we draft a place kicker and stick with Lac but haven’t looked back at who that could have been. 

I hope in round 7 we take the best kicker in college. 

Can’t do Ficken again.