I admit I am far from an expert, but when I see these stats it makes me think: Why not Trey Lance? 

Did he have an easier schedule than Carson Wentz or is the general consensus that this QB class is really good? 

How does the competition Trey Lance faced compares to Zach Wilsons? 

Enlighten me please. 

1144446541_Screenshot2021-03-13at16_16_50.thumb.png.e32368e2c7c64c287e34036222319382.png

I like Lance over both Wilson and Fields but I wouldn’t draft him at 2.  He’s just too much of a project

and it looks like he won’t make it to 23 

• Upvote 1

It's been said by a lot of people far more knowledgable and intelligent than I; quarterback stats are meaningless in the college game.

Forget for a second that college offense are so good at manufacturing yards via system/scheme (far ahead of collegiate defenses), but the real crux of the matter is in the massive inequality in the talent distribution. 

NDSU dominates the Football Championship division like Alabama dominates the SEC. Every game those two teams suit up for ends up being a knife fight where they get to bring an AR 15. 

This is why a lot of the QB gurus look at traits and relative competition faced as opposed to stats and team success. 

• Upvote 2

One interesting thing about Lance is that most people say hes not ready and "needs to sit a year".  Id imagine during that year he would learn a pro offense, work on mechanics, get accustomed to terminology/calling plays in a huddle and working under center.  

Well isnt that what he just did for a year?  He worked with a great QB coach in Quincy Avery, specifically focusing on the type of offenses that the jets, falcons and panthers run and improved his mechanics.

I personally think playing is the most important way to learn and get better and you need a staff to simplify things for a young QB, but what exactly would be the benefit of him not starting given what he did for the last year.

• Upvote 1

I found to videos on him (don't know the quality of the guy doing the analysis, but it is interesting to watch).

The first about his awareness, where he seems to be doing well: 

The second about his accuracy. Seems he is a bit inaccurate in the short game: 

22 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I found to videos on him (don't know the quality of the guy doing the analysis, but it is interesting to watch).

The first about his awareness, where he seems to be doing well: 

The second about his accuracy. Seems he is a bit inaccurate in the short game: 

Interesting analysis.  I’m impressed that Lance knows how to split the safety already and some of those deep throws look damn good

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, BCJet said:

One interesting thing about Lance is that most people say hes not ready and "needs to sit a year".  Id imagine during that year he would learn a pro offense, work on mechanics, get accustomed to terminology/calling plays in a huddle and working under center.  

Well isnt that what he just did for a year?  He worked with a great QB coach in Quincy Avery, specifically focusing on the type of offenses that the jets, falcons and panthers run and improved his mechanics.

I personally think playing is the most important way to learn and get better and you need a staff to simplify things for a young QB, but what exactly would be the benefit of him not starting given what he did for the last year.

NFL playbooks are way more complex than college playbooks.  Some rookies in recent years have had success but even guys like Allen and Jackson - Allen struggled his first year and Jackson mostly sat on the bench of as a rookie

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.