new qb

36 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm sharing this story only to put in the "you never know " file.

I used to frequent an Iowa Message board for many years, which I have since stopped(unrelated to this story).

Anyway, that message board had a poster who posted semi regularly for about 6 months or so. Really had some head scratching posts and took a lot of ridicule but always seemed to take it in stride.

Well took in in stride until one day.  One day the account has a LONG scathing post about the treatment HawkeyeFan(or whatever the screen name was) got on the board.  Turns out it was the posters mom.  The poster was particularly upset about one comment one day, so he told his mom and the posters mom went back and read all of the interactions over the previous 6 months.

Turns out the poster was a special needs high schooler.  Just absolutely LOVED the Hawkeyes, but didn't have a lot of friends who shared tbe same interest.  So his mom got him the account to talk to fellow Hawk fans.  I assume she had zero clue about what message boards were really like.  People originally thought it was a ride, but the site admin verified it a day later because the mom contacted him.

Let me tell you folks, you've never seen a group of grown men grovel and apologize so profusely.  A lot of people chipped in to take him and his family to a game at Kinnick they felt so bad.  To this day still the craziest thing I've ever experienced on this crazy internet thing.

Great post, Hawkeye.  As the parent of a special needs chiild, this possibility had crossed my mind.

Thank you for sharing this story.

• Upvote 1