Linebackers.... where Robert Saleh started his coaching career!

Saleh has a special place in his heart for LBs.  He spent most of his early coaching career as a Defensive Assistant, Assistant Linebackers Coach (Texans) and the Linebackers Coach (Jaguars).  The Jets have a total mixed bag of mediocre LBs right now, several of whom likely won't be back.  Even guys who played a bit above themselves like Neville Hewitt, Basham, etc. could move on and OLB Jordan Jenkins isn't under contract.  The big X factor of course is Pro Bowler CJ Mosley who played a grand total of about 3 quarters of football for the Jets over two years, but if healthy could still be a stud MLB/ILB.

In all our talk around here of WRs, CBs, OTs, wanting Edge rushers, TEs and RBs, I think we're missing an area of key importance to Saleh's defensive rebuild.  There's a decent group of both OLB/Edge guys and MLBs in this draft.  Some real go-getters like Azeez, Zaven Collins, Jabril Cox, Pete Werner, etc.  I think Saleh wants a stud OLB badly.  He's going to want an identity guy who he can mold and lead his defense from both a performance and culture standpoint as he builds his program here.  My guess is Saleh wants to start Day 1 with a guy who could be the identity of his D.

What do you guys think about this year's LB group and who could be a Day 2 target of the Jets?

I'll be utterly  enraged if we take a LB before the Seattle pick in round 3.

This was my fear when we took another Dcentirc coach, even though I like Saleh the GMs always seem to not want to hang them out to dry so to speak and thus take D players when we have no business taking D players.

If we are taking a D player relatively  early it better be an ace pass rusher or a CB.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This was my fear when we took another Dcentirc coach, even though I like Saleh the GMs always seem to not want to hang them out to dry so to speak and thus take D players when we have no business taking D players.

If we are taking a D player relatively  early it better be an ace pass rusher or a CB.

For sure we need an overhaul of our OLB'ers considering the move from 3-4 to 4-3. 

The edge talent this year is meh. I liked Ronnie Perkins but I just saw his pro day numbers... not worth early investment. Couple that with the available talent at the position in free agency, and I think we have our answer there.

I would not have a problem taking a corner in the first or @ 34. But I'd prefer to sign a veteran and see what the young players on this team can do. 

A lot depends on how free agency goes, but there are some really good 'space/coverage' LB'ers in this draft class and I have no problem investing there after day 1. 

• Upvote 2

Will be interesting to see what they do because I don’t really think Mosley is a fit. Guessing bridges in FA and they start to build a pipeline.

If I’m remembering right the 49ers starting linebackers last year were a 2018 third round pick in the middle with a fifth round pick and a UDFA both from 2019 on the outside. Not a crazy investment but they were productive. All smaller too, think the biggest was the middle linebacker (Warner) at 235ish.

Still think this defense is largely about investing in the front four. They repeatedly drafted the DL early.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This. Offense offense offense offense before that pick. 

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I would take a sideline to sideline LB every day of the week before a CB. The league has made corners basically useless with the PI rules.

23 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I like Werner over Browning. I think Collins is extremely versatile and a candidate at 23 or 34.

Collins at 34 would be great!  If not him then I'd be happy with a CB in that spot.

13 hours ago, section314 said:

I would take a sideline to sideline LB every day of the week before a CB. The league has made corners basically useless with the PI rules.

That's exactly why you need a great corner who can stay with a WR and doesn't hold or grab but still prevents completions.  IMO, premiere CBs are now more valuable than ever given the PI rules.

• Like 1

Re: Baron Browning

Browning, who entered Mobile weighing in at 6-foot-3 and 241 pounds with an 81-inch wingspan, left the only in-person draft event featuring all 32 teams and the top draft prospects as one of the biggest winners of the week thanks to his versatility and explosiveness as an athlete. Given that Browning has a 4.56s 40-yard dash and a 37.50-inch vertical leap on his recruiting profile from 2017, the expectations for Browning as an athlete are sky high. If he meets them, or even falls slightly short, he'll have confirmed his athleticism as a three-down athlete for the NFL.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/baron-browning-2021-nfl-draft-skill-set

• Upvote 2
40 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's exactly why you need a great corner who can stay with a WR and doesn't hold or grab but still prevents completions.  IMO, premiere CBs are now more valuable than ever given the PI rules.

You are right. It’s just so frustrating to see a really good CB play a guy perfectly and get called for some BS. Give me a pass rusher or a LB who runs guys down. 

• Upvote 1

Zaven Collins is clearly a great prospect and would be a nice addition. But he may not even be there at 23. 

Cox and Chazz Suratt are a couple of favorites outside of Rd. 1.

I think Saleh also wants a premier Edge or LEO. A guy like Zaven Collins is technically an OLB but would provide Saleh with the Edge presence that he needs and is big enough to play LEO.

Edge is the position JD will either throw money at in FA or use a relatively high draft pick on, not OLB/ILB. I think Saleh/Ulbrich can find the right guys for their system in lower level FAs and in the middle of the draft. Mosley is also pretty much penciled in as the starter in the middle because of his contract. Assuming he comes back healthy he should be successful in the 4-3 or wide 9.   

On 3/13/2021 at 3:10 PM, Beerfish said:

The Jets need both a Sam and a will for the 4-3 

Outside linebacker is low key the worst need on the roster 

They need veteran solutions and a future pipeline. 

Prepare to be enraged 

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets need both a Sam and a will for the 4-3 

Outside linebacker is low key the worst need on the roster 

They need veteran solutions and a future pipeline. 

Prepare to be enraged 

What if Parsons falls to 23?  I know we have LBs but he actually fits the 4-3 and might be too good value to pass up

• Upvote 1
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.