RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler

maury77

I don't watch much boxing, but if boxing were more like the famous 1st Rd of one of his Hearns fights, I would watch a lot more.

He also was my go to guy in EA Fight Night Round 3, so holds a special place in my heart, because I played the crap out that game in my 20s.

• Sympathy 1

Wow. Just learned about his death, right now. Just 5 seconds ago. Here. R.i. P.  Still can't believe how Duran, (a blown up lightweight,)stood toe to toe with Hagler and lost in a close decision. The war he had with John Mugabi. That fight took a lot out of Hagler. Mugabi was a devasting puncher. Gave Hagler, all he could handle.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Marvin Hagler is the boxer that every fighter aspires to be because they know they will never be him. It's a constant goal to chase. What he had was so unique to only him. That's why we have never seen anyone like Hagler since Hagler.

To me, it's a shame that the things people remember him for are the Hearns and Leonard fights, getting robbed, the WAR hat, his work ethic, being tough, or retiring early rather than deal with the politics of boxing anymore. And that's fine, but I wish he was remembered as a rare master of his craft. The man was legit one of the greatest technical boxers ever to step foot in a ring. I don't think anyone has ever switched stances better than him, before or since. He was so far ahead of his time because of the fact that he jabbed with his power hand, something that few did at the time and has become almost the standard for young fighters today. Also one of the most precise guys ever; watch old fights of his and every step or slip is textbook. 

I have always gone back and forth on the Leonard fight (Leonard outpointed him, but in a title fight that should not be the only thing that matters), but I also think that if that fight happened when it should have happened 4-5 years prior, Hagler would have absolutely mauled him. Leonard knew that and said no thanks, then waited until Hagler got old. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1