Sign A Top WR in FA?

addage

My thought is that JD has a decision to make that will indicate his thinking.  With the #2 pick, he either takes a QB or commits to building the roster by trading down.  In the trade down scenario, he takes a top TE/WR with whatever he decides to do with the #2.  But if he picks Wilson (or whomever), he won't be able to get a top target for his new QB.  So he has to commit the $ to buy one in now.  So I think the next couple of days are going to tell us a lot.

• Upvote 2

I dont think that's necessarily true. Especially if Darnold and our rd2 pick can be packaged to move back into the first, even ahead of #23. That being said, I'd love for that to be the case before the draft, I just dont buy into the idea that JD isthe type to go on FA spending sprees

As some have mentioned already. You can get an impact WR at 23 or early in Rd. 2. They did so last year with Mims, who is essentially a developmental #1 and despite an underwhelming injury plagued season, still had some flashes of brilliance in a pathetic offense with a lost QB. Although not ideal, I think if the Jets get their hands on a guy like Marshall, Bateman or Moore it will definitely mitigate whiffing on a top WR in FA, regardless of what they do with the #2 pick.  

• Upvote 1

I think regardless of what they plan to do in the draft, they need to sign a quality, starting WR in free agency. Jets may've had the worst group in the league last year, and it's been a problem for awhile now. 

Offense has to be the priority, but the defense needs help, too. If they can make one major purchase on the OL and one at WR, that'll free them up to BAP at #23 and #34, where CBs and Edges might represent the best value. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

This is something that I think many of us expected to happen but may not. Apparently Douglas has lower values on these guys than what the agents want, which shouldn't come as a shock as this kind of what we saw last year (re: Robby). I think Douglas was honest when he admitted that he misread the WR market last year, but I don't think that means he's going to totally change his process. There's been healthy debate in the free agency meetings on the actual pecking order. Unlike his predecessors, Douglas evaluates players while factoring in the scheme - so while he considers the qualities the coaches look for, it doesn't always mean they see players the same way. Ultimately it doesn't matter, the Jets have price-points set for all these guys, and they won't look to pass them. Kenny Golladay may be their #1 WR, but at $15mm APY. JuJu second, but at $14mm APY (these are just examples). If say they spend big on an OL, they may put out a few offers on WRs and see who bites first. 

My takeaway: it sounds like Douglas has higher ranks on Kenny Golladay/JuJu Smith-Schuster/Corey Davis, whereas the coaches have higher marks on Curtis Samuel/Will Fuller. The one player who there is a consensus on is Kendrick Bourne; Douglas, his staff, and the coaching staff (who obviously knows him very well) all agree that he can be a rock-solid starter in an increased role and would be an ideal piece to the puzzle. The Jets personnel department isn't big on comparables, but one scout has compared him to James Jones and thinks that's the kind of impact he can have as a FA.  

Unfortunately, I don't have concrete info on what will happen at WR. I was told both from people in the building and in the agency community that they expected it to be JuJu Smith-Schuster (she has stuck with that), then was recently told that Curtis Samuel's agents are pushing him in the Jets direction if the offers are right/the coaches want him (but this was not a team source), and the latest is the above: the Jets will let the WR market play itself out while prioritizing the lines at the jump. Also, they're not going to rule out signing 2 "big money" WRs (this would include Bourne and someone else), but it's very unlikely. More likely: 1 "starting" WR, 1 "mid-to-low tier" WR, then shift attention to the draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

47 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is something that I think many of us expected to happen but may not. Apparently Douglas has lower values on these guys than what the agents want, which shouldn't come as a shock as this kind of what we saw last year (re: Robby). I think Douglas was honest when he admitted that he misread the WR market last year, but I don't think that means he's going to totally change his process. There's been healthy debate in the free agency meetings on the actual pecking order. Unlike his predecessors, Douglas evaluates players while factoring in the scheme - so while he considers the qualities the coaches look for, it doesn't always mean they see players the same way. Ultimately it doesn't matter, the Jets have price-points set for all these guys, and they won't look to pass them. Kenny Golladay may be their #1 WR, but at $15mm APY. JuJu second, but at $14mm APY (these are just examples). If say they spend big on an OL, they may put out a few offers on WRs and see who bites first. 

My takeaway: it sounds like Douglas has higher ranks on Kenny Golladay/JuJu Smith-Schuster/Corey Davis, whereas the coaches have higher marks on Curtis Samuel/Will Fuller. The one player who there is a consensus on is Kendrick Bourne; Douglas, his staff, and the coaching staff (who obviously knows him very well) all agree that he can be a rock-solid starter in an increased role and would be an ideal piece to the puzzle. The Jets personnel department isn't big on comparables, but one scout has compared him to James Jones and thinks that's the kind of impact he can have as a FA.  

Unfortunately, I don't have concrete info on what will happen at WR. I was told both from people in the building and in the agency community that they expected it to be JuJu Smith-Schuster (she has stuck with that), then was recently told that Curtis Samuel's agents are pushing him in the Jets direction if the offers are right/the coaches want him (but this was not a team source), and the latest is the above: the Jets will let the WR market play itself out while prioritizing the lines at the jump. Also, they're not going to rule out signing 2 "big money" WRs (this would include Bourne and someone else), but it's very unlikely. More likely: 1 "starting" WR, 1 "mid-to-low tier" WR, then shift attention to the draft. 

You the fkn man

Keep it coming- sh*t is gold!

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Are you hearing any noise on the TE front? I would think there would be some  interest.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

man Corey Davis--- would just be a huge kick in the nuts if that is his top 3 - Davis shouldn't be in anyones top 3.

44 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

Are you hearing any noise on the TE front? I would think there would be some  interest.

Not really. I think they'll look to add multiple this offseason. What I'll say is this: if they sign someone to a big contract, it will give us an indication which way they're leaning on draft day

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas - We are building through the draft and supplementing through free agency.

Jet fans - I cant wait till we sign all of these big name, about to be overpaid free agents.

Its like Jet fans chose not to listen to what the plan is.  We are not signing any of these guys. 

I think your "chose not to listen" comment nails it.

Jets are not a premium landing spot for the best FA's and chasing them with $ makes little sense (can you say "bring back Le'veon"?)

So we're back to building through the draft.  It just makes me think the Jets will postpone the search for a QB and use this year to add starters in key OL-DL-WR spots.  

Keeping Sam is a move with little risk.  If he disproves his critics with good play on an improved team, great.  If he is the dud so many here think he is, Jets will be in a good draft position to chase a QB next year.

Might be another year of pain for all of us. But if JD executes with the draft, we will be well situated in 2022 and 2023.

• Upvote 1