Ronnie Perkins - Edge

BCJet

Perkins is a really interesting edge prospect as he is considered a little light for what Saleh might look for in a DE at 247 lbs, but is a really explosive player with an excellent motor who could play at around 252-255 and should be ok vs the run given the other talent we have at DT.  He also "has character concerns" after being suspended for weed which is essentially meaningless. 

I know this board seems to favor going offense with pick 23, but we havent had speed at DE in a long time and finding someone with production, explosive traits and a motor seems like a good value at 23. 

Here is a scouting report on him:  https://www.profootballnetwork.com/ronnie-perkins-nfl-draft-player-profile-oklahoma-edge/

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

Perkins is a really interesting edge prospect as he is considered a little light for what Saleh might look for in a DE at 247 lbs, but is a really explosive player with an excellent motor who could play at around 252-255 and should be ok vs the run given the other talent we have at DT.  He also "has character concerns" after being suspended for weed which is essentially meaningless. 

I know this board seems to favor going offense with pick 23, but we havent had speed at DE in a long time and finding someone with production, explosive traits and a motor seems like a good value at 23. 

Here is a scouting report on him:  https://www.profootballnetwork.com/ronnie-perkins-nfl-draft-player-profile-oklahoma-edge/

Not a first rounder. A steal in the 3rd if he falls tho. Athletic profile is mediocre.

• Upvote 2

On 3/14/2021 at 10:54 AM, RedBeardedSavage said:

I liked Perkins a lot until his pro day.

Guy just doesn't have elite athleticism.

He doesn't have elite athleticism but profiles similar to or as a poor man's Carl Lawson.  Both were said to be explosive coming out of school with quick get-offs.  2nd round seems to be where most draft projections have him.  Won't be a value in the 2nd but probably the right spot for his ceiling.

image.png.5246157f89eae061dee463b73641570f.png

12 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

He doesn't have elite athleticism but profiles similar to or as a poor man's Carl Lawson.  Both were said to be explosive coming out of school with quick get-offs.  2nd round seems to be where most draft projections have him.  Won't be a value in the 2nd but probably the right spot for his ceiling.

I'm definitely not an expert, but that's a fairly significant difference in 40 time, Bench and Shuttle.

Besides, Lawson has already produced (pressures/QB hits/win %) at the NFL level.

But I think the most pertinent argument is that Lawson was taken in the fourth round. Day 3 is now where I currently value Perkins, which lines up. 

54 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm definitely not an expert, but that's a fairly significant difference in 40 time, Bench and Shuttle.

Besides, Lawson has already produced (pressures/QB hits/win %) at the NFL level.

But I think the most pertinent argument is that Lawson was taken in the fourth round. Day 3 is now where I currently value Perkins, which lines up. 

The 40 time difference (.07) is not considered significant for DE.  The range for NFL prospects at the DE position is 4.41 to 5.27 with 4.74 being the average target.  The long range running time difference is not a big factor in measuring explosiveness for EDGE rushers.

My number for the shuttle was wrong.  Should be 4.69 rather than 4.78.  This difference is a little more significant than the 40 for an edge rusher.  The NFL range is 4.00 to 4.96. With the target being 4.37 for DE.  So both Lawson and Perkins are slower than the target but they are only separated by (.07).  This is a little worrisome but still not a huge difference in numbers.

The bench press numbers are significant.  Ten is a huge difference between the two players.  It doesn't mean Perkins is weak, just weaker than Lawson was coming out of college.  The range for NFL DE over the past 4 draft periods has been 14 - 35 with the target being closer to 24.  Lawson definitely uses his strength to bull rush, whereas that is not a part of Perkins' repertoire.  So this is a significant disadvantage.

Perkins may be valued at a day 3 pick but if teams think his upside in Carl Lawson, then he'll go on day 2.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

Considering one of those was the combine and the other was a pro day, those numbers aren’t even close. 

• Upvote 1