***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

More importantly is that a question you hit the Hand Raising function and ask verbally or do you type it into the chat?

Our breakout group is largely people shaking their heads in exasperation re: your zoom jokes, sir.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas is the best thing we have had since Parcells.  We are extremely lucky to have him.

This is going to be one of the most exciting jet seasons in years.  Now that it is completely torn down, this is the start of the build.

I am so excited so see all of our new players and coaches come together and begin something special.

Enjoy everyone!  We will look back on this as the beginning when we are one of the top teams in the league a few years from now.

Thank you Joe Douglas!

Yes, Joe D, we know you are excited....now get off your ghost account

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

And it's that wild card mentality you mention that has made Jets teams in the past abandon doing a real rebuild and opt for the short fix. It gets you to credibility faster, but it lowers your ceiling.

Nah. I'd argue that, as the starters finished their rookie deals or started to get older or just their production trailed off in general, drafting and signing bad players to replace them is what made those teams worse. They didn't need to let themselves hit rock bottom for the privilege of a scorched earth rebuild, which suck anyway because it makes it harder to discern good draft picks from just the least stinky turd.

That scorched earth type rebuild isn't done by perennial playoff teams. The only difference is the draft pick slots are a little better after a horrible season, but then perennial playoff teams deal with that annually as well (and with lower picks than we had). Meanwhile we also become a less attractive destination for FAs when we do these "proper" scorched earth rebuilds.

Draft bad players, sign and/or extend bad & unworthy players, and there's your talent drop-off.

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Again, you guys keep saying "3 years" - this is his second draft. Second. 

Maccagnan got 4 years here. Let this guy get 3-4 drafts, at a minimum. 

3-4 drafts to do what? Be 500? Perfectly ok to give him 3-4 for 10-6

Put me down as at least one person that has no problem with what he's done. I think last Year's draft was very good. He landed 4 starters, maybe 5? That constitutes making the roster better. However, when you're as bad a team as the Jets are, basically ANYONE you pick is an upgrade. I'm not ready to crown him the savior of the Jets, but he's clearly better than any of the hacks of the past.

He's basically pulled a rabbit out of his hat in stockpiling draft choices. The Jets have a HORRIBLE roster, so what did they have to offer in trade? Well, he took what talent we did have and shopped it furiously and got us the best deal? I still think it's some sort of miracle.

Moving forward, he MUST start to deliver players that are not only talented but are ready to deliver good play from day one. This is a big criticism of Mike Macagnan picks. Did it ever cross his mind to think WHEN exactly are these players I'm picking going to start producing? Bottom line is it's one thing to stockpile picks. That's a good thing. However, if he continuously picks a bunch of jerk offs ie Mac style, then he's no better than Mac.

But I like what he's doing. Upset as I may be about him dealing Sammy, I understand he thinks Zach Wilson is a BETTER solution, so I'll get behind it eventually. I expect to see at least another 4 starters and a few role players to come out of the this Year's draft. I Also hope he starts picking players that don't get injured as much? Last Year's draft spent a lot of time being injured. With that said, when they were on the field I liked what I saw....

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Jet Life said:

Yeah, they hit their ceiling at 7-9 beating backups and cupcakes. Thank god we ripped that joke down and sent them all packing. See ya!

I guess you forgot being down to our 3rd string quarterback the first 4 games and having 18 players on IR.  Fully healthy, we'd have gone 10-6 and made the playoffs.  Clashes with your phony narrative, I know, but someone has to be honest here.

Joe Douglas took a weak Maccagnan roster and made it worse.  Not good.

SAR I

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I guess you forgot being down to our 3rd string quarterback the first 4 games and having 18 players on IR.  Fully healthy, we'd have gone 10-6 and made the playoffs.  Clashes with your phony narrative, I know, but someone has to be honest here.

SAR I

Its called a rebuild.  Now I know Joe fired the football clown of florham and that pains you.  And he also jettison king scrub darnold whos feety pajamas are big around here.

But Joe Douglas is putting on a GMing clinic on how to do a complete rebuild.

In 3 years when we are one of the top teams in the AFC with a roster that has staying power, you will all come around.

Till then, whine away.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Put me down as at least one person that has no problem with what he's done. I think last Year's draft was very good. He landed 4 starters, maybe 5? That constitutes making the roster better. However, when you're as bad a team as the Jets are, basically ANYONE you pick is an upgrade. I'm not ready to crown him the savior of the Jets, but he's clearly better than any of the hacks of the past.

He's basically pulled a rabbit out of his hat in stockpiling draft choices. The Jets have a HORRIBLE roster, so what did they have to offer in trade? Well, he took what talent we did have and shopped it furiously and got us the best deal? I still think it's some sort of miracle.

Moving forward, he MUST start to deliver players that are not only talented but are ready to deliver good play from day one. This is a big criticism of Mike Macagnan picks. Did it ever cross his mind to think WHEN exactly are these players I'm picking going to start producing? Bottom line is it's one thing to stockpile picks. That's a good thing. However, if he continuously picks a bunch of jerk offs ie Mac style, then he's no better than Mac.

But I like what he's doing. Upset as I may be about him dealing Sammy, I understand he thinks Zach Wilson is a BETTER solution, so I'll get behind it eventually. I expect to see at least another 4 starters and a few role players to come out of the this Year's draft. I Also hope he starts picking players that don't get injured as much? Last Year's draft spent a lot of time being injured. With that said, when they were on the field I liked what I saw....

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

Slow down there partner 4-5 starters??

Care to elaborate? 

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Care to elaborate? 

Yes/highly probable:

1. Becton,

2. Mims

3. Hall

4. Mann

Tbd/Injury/Lack of Playing time:

1. Davis

2. Zuniga

3. Clark

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This statement is 100% correct. Now, I understand the whole “it needs to get worse before it gets better” idea but when that is the approach you can’t go around blaming coaches and quarterbacks for not winning games. It’s like blaming a NASCAR driver for not winning races while you refused to replace worn out tires and are too cheap to put gas in the car at pitstops.

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jdub03 said:

Yes/highly probable:

1. Becton,

2. Mims

3. Hall

4. Mann

Tbd/Injury/Lack of Playing time:

1. Davis

2. Zuniga

3. Clark

Braden Mann was the NFL’s 28th ranked punter last year. Another year like that and we need to replace him. And no, his rankings are not attributable to the Jets having poor field position or him punting too many times. If anything, more punts give us more data about how good/bad he really is.

As of now we look to have 3 starting caliber players from last year’s Draft. Let’s hope that gets to 4-5+ this year. 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Braden Mann was the NFL’s 28th ranked punter last year. Another year like that and we need to replace him. And no, his rankings are not attributable to the Jets having poor field position or him punting too many times. If anything, more punts give us more data about how good/bad he really is.

As of now we look to have 3 starting caliber players from last year’s Draft. Let’s hope that gets to 4-5+ this year. 

That's a fair assessment. I included Mann as he is the defacto starter, although his first season was inconsistent. I think he will be the starter again in 2021. If he doesn't improve he'll be gone.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Wouldn't more punts be more taxing on the kid's leg? You don't ask a closer to pitch more than an inning and we shouldn't expect him to be on the field 5+ times a game. His yards per punt significantly dropped off in the 2nd half of the year as he accumulated the most yards in the NFL in 2020.

I have faith he will see success in 2021 when he isn't required to be on the field as much (I hope!).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

He seemed way to inconsistent. Remember that 14 yard punt. Just some stuff, where im like, not sure this guy is NFL caliber. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its called a rebuild.  Now I know Joe fired the football clown of florham and that pains you.  And he also jettison king scrub darnold whos feety pajamas are big around here.

But Joe Douglas is putting on a GMing clinic on how to do a complete rebuild.

In 3 years when we are one of the top teams in the AFC with a roster that has staying power, you will all come around.

Till then, whine away.

You sound like me 5 years ago.  The flaw in you logic is that we've been rebuilding since "Suck for Sam" in 2017.  Eventually the rebuilding has to stop and winning needs to commence.

The New York Yankees and New York Rangers had rebuilds that lasted exactly 1 season each.  This shouldn't take 5 years and produce results that are worse and worse each season.  Joe Douglas has been in charge of this roster for 2 years going on 3 right now. 

We didn't bring him here to extend our rebuild further, and this isn't Year 1 of some brand new regime.  We're supposed to be better right now.  He's not doing a good job of anything but pleasing the dorks in the draft forum.

SAR I

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

This statement is 100% correct. Now, I understand the whole “it needs to get worse before it gets better” idea but when that is the approach you can’t go around blaming coaches and quarterbacks for not winning games. it’s like blaming a NASCAR driver for not winning races why you refused to replace worn out tires and are too cheap to put gas in the car at pitstops.

Precisely.

Joe Douglas has been here 2 years and 11 months.  And, do not forget, we announced a rebuild back in 2017, the whole "Suck For Sam" season, remember?

Joe Douglas joined a team already deep in rebuild mode, already stripped of players, already stocked with draft and cap capital.  And not only that, he was given a mulligan first year!  All he was asked to do was hold a clipboard, study the roster, study collegiate talent.  $4M to sit around and study and come out a-blazin' in 2020, hired right after the draft, the biggest luxury of time ever given to an NFL GM, ever.

And he laid an egg.  He made us worse.  And now in 2021 he had a below average FA signing period.  And now the draft is around the corner.  We had 26 JAG players on 1 year deals and as it stands now they are all going to be replaced by 6 newbie starters and 20 JAG players on 1 year deals.  The free pass this guy gets around here is dumbfounding.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Care to elaborate? 

Becton, Mims, Hall, and the punter I forget his name, Davis? May or may not be a starter, remains to be seen but he did start a few games.

So you can piss and moan about last year's draft and claim all the nonsense you'd like.... They spent too much time injured, the team was 2-14, JD failed to fill other positions, etc.

That's all nonsense from someone playing Monday morning QB. Which that's exactly what you're about to go on a tirade about in your reply. 

I could care less. Stockpiling picks?? I'm still not sure How he did it and he deserves credit for that, even from you and the perfect world you live in. I need to see more evidence that he knows how to pick talented players consistently, thereby creating an atmosphere of always having talented players waitithw in the wings like he claimed in his presser.

2 hours ago, mtwarlock31 said:

Wouldn't more punts be more taxing on the kid's leg? You don't ask a closer to pitch more than an inning and we shouldn't expect him to be on the field 5+ times a game. His yards per punt significantly dropped off in the 2nd half of the year as he accumulated the most yards in the NFL in 2020.

I have faith he will see success in 2021 when he isn't required to be on the field as much (I hope!).

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

What'chu talkin' bout Warlock?  He punted less than 90 times last year.  That's like 5-6 times a game.  Kicking a football is literally his only job.

We have quarterbacks throwing 50+ passes a game.

If Braden Mann is getting tired kicking a football once every 25 minutes for 3 hours we've got a big ****ing problem!

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Precisely.

Joe Douglas has been here 2 years and 11 months.  And, do not forget, we announced a rebuild back in 2017, the whole "Suck For Sam" season, remember?

Joe Douglas joined a team already deep in rebuild mode, already stripped of players, already stocked with draft and cap capital.  And not only that, he was given a mulligan first year!  All he was asked to do was hold a clipboard, study the roster, study collegiate talent.  $4M to sit around and study and come out a-blazin' in 2020, hired right after the draft, the biggest luxury of time ever given to an NFL GM, ever.

And he laid an egg.  He made us worse.  And now in 2021 he had a below average FA signing period.  And now the draft is around the corner.  We had 26 JAG players on 1 year deals and as it stands now they are all going to be replaced by 6 newbie starters and 20 JAG players on 1 year deals.  The free pass this guy gets around here is dumbfounding.

SAR I

It is mind boggling. I think anyone tho not named Mac was getting a hero’s welcome around here. To date JD has not made this a better football team and that’s my gripe 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

He seemed way to inconsistent. Remember that 14 yard punt. Just some stuff, where im like, not sure this guy is NFL caliber. 

He sits higher in the minds of Jets fans because he made a couple of highlight tackles.  His punting was far below average.

Big year coming up for him.  I'm hoping and expecting the Jets will be better on Special Teams, especially after signing their new Gunner from the Saints.  But that Gunner is only valuable if you can punt the ball high and deep.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Precisely.

SAR I

So this is his 2nd real off season and he was suppose to turn us into contenders after 1? After the last 2 gms literally have almost 0 players left on the roster they were do bad. 

Someone just seem upset their man crush Gase got fired. 

• Post of the Week 3

3 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

So this is his 2nd real off season and he was suppose to turn us into contenders after 1? After the last 2 gms literally have almost 0 players left on the roster they were do bad. 

Is first "real" offseason was 2019 where he was hired right after the draft and had a luxury no GM in NFL history ever had-  a full year to hold a clipboard and prepare for next year's draft.

His second "real" offseason was 2020 where he should have used that mulligan, that $4M we gave him, to have an unbelievable draft (nope) and a fantastic FA period (nope).  Instead, he took a 7-9 team and turned it into 2-14. 

Same coaching staff, same quarterback, can't blame them, they were the constant.  The variable is Joe Douglas.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He sits higher in the minds of Jets fans because he made a couple of highlight tackles.  His punting was far below average.

Big year coming up for him.  I'm hoping and expecting the Jets will be better on Special Teams, especially after signing their new Gunner from the Saints.  But that Gunner is only valuable if you can punt the ball high and deep.

I think he has the leg to be successful. He's capable of kicking high, long, and directionally (something that was missing previously). However, for him to be successful he at minimum needs to eliminate the really bad kicks. Those bad kicks are what dropped him so far down the rankings from probably around average. The most important thing for him moving forward is to improve his consistency. I'd gladly give up a few yards distance wise for a guy that consistently puts it directionally where it needs to go at a reasonable distance with good height for the coverage unit.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

It is mind boggling. I think anyone tho not named Mac was getting a hero’s welcome around here. To date JD has not made this a better football team and that’s my gripe 

No. He hasn't made the Jets a better team, in fact of anything it's worse. But somehow I get the idea that you'd be complaining regardless of what he'd done.

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Shut up Kevin.

14 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Kevin you're such a disease.

6 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

You know, Kevin, you're what the French call les incompetents. 

I feel like we did some really important work here, team. Way to come together.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

I like JD's professionalism. He's done well tearing down our team.  Let's see if he can build it.  He's not going to be perfect; good will do just fine. 

JD will get his four/five years.  No shortcuts with his style, so it'll be painful.   He won't peak early like Macc.

JD grades so far:

Trades - Adams A+; Sam B+; Leo A
OL  - Mechi A;  "Making it rain on fat guys on the side stage" F.
FA - Robby/Perriman F; Corey A; Lawson A; "no others this year" B-
Cap - A
Draft - Mechi A+; Trade down - Claypool vs (Mims, Morgan, Clark and 2021 6th) - D so far; Rest of 2020 draft D so far, Mims and/or Hall may save it.
Other moves - Osemele D; Gase/Saleh A so far; 

• Upvote 2