***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

49 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Let's look at each point 1 by 1...

Yes, let's do that.

49 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He inherited the worst situation in the NFL, was not remotely close to a rebuild in progress.

Christopher Johnson announced a total rebuild in 2017, remember?  We Sucked For Sam that season, remember?  The Jets entered the 2019 offseason with the most cap space in the league and traded down to accumulate even more picks.  And the team went 7-9!  Far from the worst situation in the NFL at all.

54 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

His 2020 draft is fine, potentially exceptional.     There will be SIX high level contributing players from a SEVEN round draft (Becton, Mims, Perine, Hall, Huff and Mann) if that holds beyond this year those are HOF GM type numbers. 

LOL.  Even you can't believe this.  Perine should have been cut for Adams yesterday.  Hall is a project.  Mann?  A punter?  LOL.  Go punter!  My mother could have taken Becton, not like it was hard to take one of the top 3 tackles at the top of a draft, and this one can't stay on the field, he's like an egg back there.  Mims?  Can't stay healthy either.  More on that later.

56 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He literally just signed the TOP Pass Rusher and WR from the FA market (not exactly table scraps)

Top pass rusher wasn't signed by other GM's because he has a history of lower body injuries!  Oops.  How much money did we just waste?  I like Davis.  It would be great but it would also be the only notable FA that Douglas hits on.  In 3 years of trying.  And I bet Davis puts up Robbie-like numbers.  Treading water.  Again.

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The reality is he's been tearing down and unwinding the mess that was left for him for the past two years. This is the first year of the rebuild.

An insane take.  We've been rebuilding since the awful Fitzpatrick 2016 debacle, it was officially announced in 2017, we Sucked For Sam, we got rid of expensive free agents, we accumulated draft picks all before Joe Douglas ever signed his contract.  The fact that people will give Douglas a mulligan for 2019 and 2020 is outrageous.  Seriously.  You get what you deserve.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

What I've stated are undeniable facts.  You're either deceitful/trolling or just absolutely ignorant.

What you've stated are rose-colored delusions.  Joe Douglas inherited a rebuild-in-progress, f-ed up the roster from a promising 7 wins to a 2 win joke, and continues to be good at two things:

1.  Tearing down the team without properly replenishing it.

2.  Creating the illusion that every season is a brand new season, that it's Year #1 of his tenure, that he's still fixing Mike Maccagnan's mess in his f-cking THIRD YEAR.

How fooled so many of you are by this nonsense is astounding.  

SAR I 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

It isn't a number I pulled from my ear.  There are many articles to look at on The Google.  I could also show you some research as well.

It doesn't matter where you draft.  If you are hitting at 50 percent, you are going to have a successful team.  I actually broke it down over a five-year period, and Pittsburgh, one of the perennial contenders who are always near the middle/bottom half of the draft, were always hitting about there. 

Just to be clear: When I looked at this stuff about a year ago, I looked at the suggestion of a GM getting 5 years (even talked about on this website), and looked at (then) the 2020 draft and how many players were a) still on the team that drafted between 2015-2019 and b) players still in the league.  I think Pittsburgh even had 50 percent players still on their team and others on other teams.   

Just to be clear, part II: We won't 'knock' on the playoff door' if we fire GM's every two years without giving them a chance.  Maybe Idzik should have got more time.  Moot point.  Mike M. got his five years, and he drafted poorly.  Of the 34 picks he was allowed to make (5 drafts), 6 are on the team.  That is 17.6 percent.  He got his five years, and that is a failure rate.  JD should get five years, and his first draft class should maybe get more than one year (in a COVID season with Adam Gase coaching) before we start judging. 

Who's saying he should get fired?  

The NFL is a competition at the management level.  Joe D and Saleh won't be judged in a vacuum.  They will be judged on their record.  Joe D with 1 draft and a partial FA period is 2 and 14.  He drafted a new QB.  Zach could be great but if he isn't as good as Allen, Tua and Jones we might still be the worst team in our division in 5 years.  

Nobody is judging these guys in a vacuum.  Everyone knows the Jets sucked when Douglas took over.   So far he's dumped a couple of solid starters, one who's an all pro for draft capital.  If he improves the team more than other NFL GM's improve their teams and we move up in the win total and compete for playoffs he gets another contract.  If were a 4 win type of team for another 2 years it might be time to dump him.  

Pittsburgh has a HOF QB and HC.  The reality is the Steelers have dissapointed the last 4 years.  If the Browns, Bengals and Ravens move ahead of them they will make changes.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, CSNY said:

The previous regime and Coach set us back that why it needed a total overhaul 

The 2019 Jets and 2020 Jets had the identical coaching staff and the identical quarterback.  They were the constants.  Joe Douglas was the variable.  He traded away our only 3 impact players, had a brutal 2020 draft and FA period, and turned us into a league joke.

Mike Maccagnan has been gone for 3 years.  It's high time Joe Douglas is held accountable for the state of this roster.  But, no, just let him off the hook.  It's incredible.  If he looked like an arrogant scrawny weasel like John Idzik you guys would have flown the planes and put up the billboards by now.  But, no, because he looks like the guy next door you'd drink a beer with, yeah, yeah, let's give him 6 years to get this thing right.  Please.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

If Joe Douglas hits on Zach Wilson and the stadium fills up with #2 jerseys and Zach’s on television commercials 24/7 eating Cheetos with friends with Joe Douglas sound asleep in a Lazyboy chair  at a make shift living room on the 50 yard line of Met Life stadium? All Joe’s sins will be forgiven!

It would be just like the Jets to finally hit on a bonafide franchise quarterback and see him never win anything because the GM who got lucky with Wilson couldn't hit on anything else.

Matthew Stafford and the Lions 2.0 doesn't get me hard, sorry.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

50 minutes ago, ganggreen305 said:

For the first time ever as a Jets fan (46 years), we have a competent GM who has a plan.  He gets great value out of his trades.  Yes, the draft is a crapshoot and nobody hits on every pick, but he has drafted well.  I think we have nice young talent that hopefully pans out in the next year.  We finally have a coach who players love and respect.  We have a rookie QB that looks legit.  Yes, we might have a tough year, but the future is bright with JD, Saleh and Zach.

Yeah, yeah, I get the Pollyanna version of the future that the Jets are selling.  Yeah, yeah, I get that Douglas, Saleh, LaFleur, and Wilson are straight out of central casting and are the perfect actors placed in a great screenplay designed to get maximum affection from an adoring fanbase.

But, forgive me, I've heard this all before.  When they sold me on Herman Edwards as a brilliant defensive mind.  Like when they sold me on Eric Mangini as the second coming of Belichick.  Like when they sold me on Ryan/Idzik.  Like when they sold me on Bowles/Maccagnan.

The truth is, we hired Joe Douglas because he was the only guy to take the job and only did so after we begged him and begged him and overpaid him to come here.  A Philadelphia Eagles scout.  Such credibility.  And he's turned us into an expansion team.  And you like it because you're supposed to.  Until the day comes that you wake up and realize that the signs are all there, that it's another con job.  Because Douglas can't pick players.  They're either always hurt or they flat out can't play up to expectations.  I hope I'm wrong, but right now Joe Douglas looks like a great negotiator and a great poker player but he's no painter.  And we need a painter.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

This staff is “the previous” because Joe Douglas has been here three years.  He cost us games in 2019.  He took a promising 7 win team down to a pathetic 2 wins in 2020.  Experts think we’re good for a measly 5 wins in 2021. 

I have been on board for every other nonsensical attempt that every other general manager has tried for the last 40 years so, why not, let’s try it this way.  Let’s beg and overpay some Philadelphia Eagles scout to come in here, tear us down to 1960-caliber AFL rebuild status, and then rebuild us up in his image. But if that guy doesn’t know what he’s doing in player personnel and continues to have such a low hit rate, by the time he’s fired it will set this organization back decades.  We have traded places with the Cleveland Browns.  No one should be happy.  

SAR I

You are the antithesis of DWC. Enough with this 2019 7 win season nonsense and we need to win 8 games nonsense. Even if we do, it means nothing if the overall team doesn’t play well. We could win 8 games this year and still suck. It could be Zach wins 8 all by himself and we’d still suck. Or we could go 5-12 and be in the right track. This is a really young team and it going to take a few years to see what these players are made of. And what JD really is as a GM. 

• Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Like I said, he didn't have a free agency period. Pulling a guy out of retirement because your predecessor didn't address the position is not his fault. He was trying to be creative.

Trading a fat DL has nothing to do with free agency, and it was a GREAT move.  

Trading away talented players and accumulating picks isn't the hard part.

Picking great replacements is.

Since Joe Douglas started messing with the roster, we have gone from 7 wins to 2 wins to (expected) 5 wins.  You shouldn't be excited that the New York Jets have become the Cleveland Browns of the NFL.  

SAR I

three years is a total of 36 months JD was hired in June of 2019 it is now September of 2021. Which is approximately 26 months. The constant narrative of him being here 3 years is false. 
He has had but 2 years of drafting and free agent acquisitions to remake a flawed “promising “mediocre team into a perennial playoff contender. Let him get his 5 years like Mac and let’s see where we are then I am confident that it will land us atop the division not just a promising team 

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

And this 8 game mandate is foolish 

winnable.jpg

There are 10 winnable games on the schedule.

We only face 2 elite quarterbacks the whole season.

We have 9 home games and a neutral site game.

We have 3 Florida teams visiting frigid NJ after Thanksgiving.

There is a high likelihood that our 2 toughest games will be gifts with opponents resting their starters.

No excuses.  EXPECTATIONS.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Trading away talented players and accumulating picks isn't the hard part.

Picking great replacements is.

Since Joe Douglas started messing with the roster, we have gone from 7 wins to 2 wins to (expected) 5 wins.  You shouldn't be excited that the New York Jets have become the Cleveland Browns of the NFL.  

SAR I

Will be excited when the Jets become what Cleveland has become now with more room to get better 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, let's do that.

Christopher Johnson announced a total rebuild in 2017, remember?  We Sucked For Sam that season, remember?  The Jets entered the 2019 offseason with the most cap space in the league and traded down to accumulate even more picks.  And the team went 7-9!  Far from the worst situation in the NFL at all.

LOL.  Even you can't believe this.  Perine should have been cut for Adams yesterday.  Hall is a project.  Mann?  A punter?  LOL.  Go punter!  My mother could have taken Becton, not like it was hard to take one of the top 3 tackles at the top of a draft, and this one can't stay on the field, he's like an egg back there.  Mims?  Can't stay healthy either.  More on that later.

Top pass rusher wasn't signed by other GM's because he has a history of lower body injuries!  Oops.  How much money did we just waste?  I like Davis.  It would be great but it would also be the only notable FA that Douglas hits on.  In 3 years of trying.  And I bet Davis puts up Robbie-like numbers.  Treading water.  Again.

An insane take.  We've been rebuilding since the awful Fitzpatrick 2016 debacle, it was officially announced in 2017, we Sucked For Sam, we got rid of expensive free agents, we accumulated draft picks all before Joe Douglas ever signed his contract.  The fact that people will give Douglas a mulligan for 2019 and 2020 is outrageous.  Seriously.  You get what you deserve.

What you've stated are rose-colored delusions.  Joe Douglas inherited a rebuild-in-progress, f-ed up the roster from a promising 7 wins to a 2 win joke, and continues to be good at two things:

2.  Creating the illusion that every season is a brand new season, that it's Year #1 of his tenure, that he's still fixing Mike Maccagnan's mess in his f-cking THIRD YEAR.

SAR I 

sar I actually agree with you-Joe's job is to make the team better and to compete-so far the team's talent as of the end of last year got worse and the record got worse. Joe was brought in to make the roster better and for the team to compete and win. Let's hope he got the QB right and Moore is legit if not.....

Parcells as I have posted many times took a 1-15 team to the AFC championships -it can be done fast and I am not even looking for that. I just want the team to be competitve and win some games

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It would be just like the Jets to finally hit on a bonafide franchise quarterback and see him never win anything because the GM who got lucky with Wilson couldn't hit on anything else.

Matthew Stafford and the Lions 2.0 doesn't get me hard, sorry.

SAR I

Absolutely very Jetsy! But I also think it can’t be looked at in a vacuum. If he does hit on Zach and the offense,  then hitting on the defense would become easier in the way a juggernaut offense scoring and keeping the D off the field helps.

Like you  I’m not all in on Joe Douglas, but at the same time I think him starting after that first draft hurt him and I struggle acting like he is accountable for that year like you do. Yet, I also recognize they are telling us this is a process for long term sustainable gains and his draft picks have been lackluster after the first two rounds. That he has to get better at for sure. His approach to free agency is fine at the moment considering the long term aspirations and we are obviously not in a win now model. Time will tell. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

winnable.jpg

There are 10 winnable games on the schedule.

We only face 2 elite quarterbacks the whole season.

We have 9 home games and a neutral site game.

We have 3 Florida teams visiting frigid NJ after Thanksgiving.

There is a high likelihood that our 2 toughest games will be gifts with opponents resting their starters.

No excuses.  EXPECTATIONS.

SAR I

If you remember I believe we can win 8 games and with a few breaks 10 was conceivable prior to Lawsons injury but to have a arbitrary mandate of 8 wins is not a the only measure of a team’s improvement 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Joe Douglas has been here 3 years.  Two drafts, three free agency periods.

And he inherited a rebuild-in-progress where Mike Maccagnan had already started gutting the roster and stockpiling draft capital per the orders of Christopher Johnson in 2017.

And he had more time than any GM in NFL history to prepare for his first draft having been shockingly hired right after the draft.

And his 2020 draft looks terrible.  And his table-scraps approach to free agency looks terrible.  

And he took a 7 win team built by a moron and turned it into a 2 win team that most think can only be capable of 5 wins this year.

That's one sh-t resume.

SAR I

doesnt matter if Mac was rebuilding, once Joe was hired the rebuild started again.

if someone hires you to remake a company thats been losing for years do they tell you that the guy who use to have your job already started it so just continue from there? no. why would you keep anyone the fail old boss brought in? 

if Woody told JD to keep half the roster than thats a rebuild -in-process, but obviously he didnt cause JD tore this roster down. how many Mac players are still here? QW...Maye...Wesco... maybe 2-3 others i cant think of. thats called a new rebuild.

i cant argue with that 2020 draft as of now. but its only one year. im not worried about the FA approach cause were not ready to win yet. but thats where we disagree. i see us as in year 2 of a rebuild and you see us as what? year 3...4...maybe 5?

and its the same with the 7 win season. im sure Woody didnt say to JD.... hey we won 7 games last year. i want to build on that and win 10 this year and be in the playoffs cause if he did JD would be fired right now. no, JD saw the roster and told Woody he was tearing it down and Woody agreed. that makes a a start of a new rebuild. you dont give the guy 6 years unless your told it will be a complete tear down and rebuild. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, CSNY said:

three years is a total of 36 months JD was hired in June of 2019 it is now September of 2021. Which is approximately 26 months. The constant narrative of him being here 3 years is false. 

A GM's work is done by September.  This is his 3rd September.

23 minutes ago, CSNY said:

He has had but 2 years of drafting and free agent acquisitions to remake a flawed “promising “mediocre team into a perennial playoff contender.

You can judge a GM by either a) his team's W/L record or b) his player hit-rate record.

Joe Douglas is a F on W/L record and a D on player hit-rate.

If this guy looked like scrawny, weasely, aloof John Idzik you'd be flying planes and putting up billboards.  Come to think of it, his W/L record and hit-rate record sort of look like Idzik's, don't they?

SAR I

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Lets take your 50% pulled out of your ear number.  The NFL awards draft position.  The more you suck the higher up you draft in each round.  The more you suck the more opportunity for drafted players to make the roster.  

If the best teams are hitting at 50% the worst teams need to hit at a higher level with the same quality GM.  The best teams are drafting later in each round and have less room for draft picks to make the roster.

Granted 50% would be fantastic in my opinion.  A draft where you get 1 quality starter on a team that sucks and you're drafting early in each round ain't great.  

What's really SOJ is how often the Jets own the offseason and suck during the season.   Bottom line at some point we need to knock on the playoff door.  

Talk about pulling stuff out of one's ear. What you wrote is total bull crap.

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, kmnj said:

sar I actually agree with you-Joe's job is to make the team better and to compete-so far the team's talent as of the end of last year got worse and the record got worse. Joe was brought in to make the roster better and for the team to compete and win. Let's hope he got the QB right and Moore is legit if not.....

Parcells as I have posted many times took a 1-15 team to the AFC championships -it can be done fast and I am not even looking for that. I just want the team to be competitve and win some games

Exactly.

And to your point-  where does it say a rebuild has to take 6 years?  My Yankees announced a rebuild and immediately jumped back up into championship contention, my Rangers announced a rebuild and immediately jumped back into playoff contention.  John Lynch went 6-10 then 4-12 and then went 13-3, it took only 2 drafts and 2 free agent periods to go from doormat to the Super Bowl.

SAR I

I am going to do an optimistic but realistic assessment here:

• Bowles was not the right coach for this team.  He needed to go.  
  • Maccagnan was the right GM for this team.  He needed to go.  But the Johnsons could not fire both at the same time because no one would qualified to hire either.  So they kept Maccagnan.
  • No sane HC was coming to work here.  So we got Gase.    He was a bad but not terrible coach in Miami.  The reaction here was more "meh" than outrage.  
  • Even Gase was able to see Mac was inept, so he got Mac fired.  The Johnsons were smart enough to find a good GM candidate (JD was a leading candidate) and signed him for 6 years, starting after the 2019 draft.   He inherited a not great team.  
  • JD's GMing in 2019 was certifiably mediocre-Ryan Kalil was a horrible signing for $9mm.   
  • In what I would call a "New Coach Effect", the Gase/G Williams Jets went 7-9.  
  • JD then got rid of Adams and Robby because the Johnsons were never going to sign them long term.  His 2020 Draft, with input from Gase and Williams was awful-it was not a great talent pool to work with.   The 2020 season was epically awful, both in record and the actually football played.
  • But, for whatever reason, JD and his team was an attractive spot now for HC candidates to work in.  The Jets hired Saleh, that looks like a great move.   They made the right decision to move on from Darnold, largely because of contract.    The 2021 draft with better coaching input looks alot better than 2020. 
  • For all intents and purposes JD and Saleh are being given the usual 3 years to turn this into a competitive team.  JD's first year+ were really practice and set up for him.  
  • The roster looks better than last year, at least to me.  If I were JD, and could have made one move with the OL as is and the DL without Carl or Shaq Lawson, I would have found another G rather than trade for Shaq.  That is just me.  
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

A GMs job might be done in September but doesn’t a GM get the prior 12 months to construct his team. Douglas had 2 months and a couple of days 

Also you constantly bring up the way Idzik looked  and how JD is more charismatic and that’s why he is getting away with in your estimation not being held accountable I and I am sure you and all of us fans could care less if Idzik or JD looked like Quasimodo just want them to build a championship caliber squad that can win multiple Super before I die and when all is said and done I am confident that he has assembled the right staff to attain this goal and his W/L will be far superior than any and all of his predecessors 

SAR is on fire here, I'll take that as he really wants JD gone.

One thing I want to point out regarding JD's first draft. JD has stated, OVER AND OVER, his objective is always to work with the coaching staff and take advice from everyone in the building on whom to draft.

We don't know how much of Gase's influence was part of the 2020 draft. Certainly some of the guys they drafted are not necessarily a scheme fit for this coaching staff (i.e. Mims, perine).

I think there is something to be said about a synergy of the coaching staff/GM being all on the same page. I think we have that now. You'd be crazy to think that was the case in 2020.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Douglas's 2020 draft looks like a mess right now but also people in this thread are acting like all NFL teams find 5-6 starters in every single draft class.  It just doesn't happen.  Let's see what Becton and Mims (and Hall) are.  If Becton is a Pro Bowler and Mims and Hall are on this team for second contracts, it will be a very good class regardless of what the others do.  Especially when compared to classes of Jets yore ::: vomit emoji :::

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.

And to your point-  where does it say a rebuild has to take 6 years?  My Yankees announced a rebuild and immediately jumped back up into championship contention, my Rangers announced a rebuild and immediately jumped back into playoff contention.  John Lynch went 6-10 then 4-12 and then went 13-3, it took only 2 drafts and 2 free agent periods to go from doormat to the Super Bowl.

SAR I

Wasn’t Lynch hired in January of 2017 before the Super Bowl. If that’s the case he had three drafts and three free agency periods not two drafts and two free agency periods to go from 6-10 to 13-3.Let’s let JD have 3 drafts and three free agency periods and see where the team is at 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The 2019 Jets and 2020 Jets had the identical coaching staff and the identical quarterback.  They were the constants.  Joe Douglas was the variable.  He traded away our only 3 impact players, had a brutal 2020 draft and FA period, and turned us into a league joke.

Mike Maccagnan has been gone for 3 years.  It's high time Joe Douglas is held accountable for the state of this roster.  But, no, just let him off the hook.  It's incredible.  If he looked like an arrogant scrawny weasel like John Idzik you guys would have flown the planes and put up the billboards by now.  But, no, because he looks like the guy next door you'd drink a beer with, yeah, yeah, let's give him 6 years to get this thing right.  Please.

SAR I

Yeah, thats how you rebuild.  You trade for assets 

Give up the Gase counter move, its failing

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.

SAR I

Now youre comparing baseball, without a cap to football?

• Upvote 2

Wish JD got Trubisky although reports indicate that Trubisky  (a free agent) wasn't interested in a team in our situation so can't fault him for that.

Not getting Minshew though, considering the peanuts draft capital, I am disappointed about that.

Of course, if Zach Wilson is a stud, all is forgiven.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Yes, let's do that.

SORE I 

6FE46286-3CBE-401F-8664-57FB0DEA4419.jpeg

• Haha 3