***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

So after the loss of coach Knapp, retirement of Lewis, injuries to Lawson, Davis, health situation of Vinny Curry, JD dog piles and gets rid of a TE from a crappy TE group and a corner from a crappy corner group. 

Douglas remedies the situation with a backup DE and a linebacker that was cut. 

the plan this year is obviously not to win

year one of Wilson’s rookie contract officially wasted 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

how did Joe know they were mistakes?  I mean he needs to wait 2-3 years-either you need to wait 2-3 years to judge a player or you dont
All the draft picks that were cut were asked back to the practice squad. So we could continue to develop and evaluate them.

One refused and went elsewhere. His choice.

Joe is still evaluating these guys, but realises he has better short term options for 2021.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Here looking back in 2021 that's all true, but back in 2019 we didn't know any of that.  
The point is that Joe Douglas didn't inherit "the worst roster in the NFL" because with an awful head coach the team went 7-9 and 6-2 in the last half of the season, second best record in the entire league, and did so with a bunch of backups in key positions.
The point is that the rebuild was already underway, Maccagnan had cut a bunch of older 2010 vets and was getting younger and those youngsters actually performed very well under duress in that injury-riddled 2019 season.
So watching Joe Douglas take over the rebuild and sink us even deeper into the abyss at 2-wins due to a terrible 2020 draft and FA class is extremely concerning.  The Next Great NFL GM wouldn't do that.  The hype coming out of Florham Park for the 2021 class is at an all-time high.  Let's hope its not hype this time.
SAR I
"They say it's darkest right before the dawn ..."

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, doitny said:

your the guy demanding 8-9 wins.  doesn't sound cautious to me.

That is the expectation.  If the Jets deliver the expected 8 wins, we know we're in good shape with Joe Douglas.  If they come up short, nope.  How many drafts and FA periods do we give someone with a low hit-rate?  Especially if Wilson is the real deal, we can't afford a GM who whiffs like this.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, Larz said:

So after the loss of coach Knapp, retirement of Lewis, injuries to Lawson, Davis, health situation of Vinny Curry, JD dog piles and gets rid of a TE from a crappy TE group and a corner from a crappy corner group. 

This.

Douglas won't pay for premium players,

Douglas can't find gold in Rounds 3-7.

Douglas can't find gold in the undrafted/discarded pile.

So what do we have here?  A guy who can nail 1st rounders?  There are some JN posters who can do that in their sleep, my son's been playing Madden for 15 years, give him a go.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree with your overall sentiment, but disagree with a lot of the details.

• Maccagnan was never the right GM for this or any team at any time in the history of the earth. He was about to get fired from Houston just as their lead scout, so naturally the Jets promoted him to GM. The man was an imbecile. The Jets just happened to be owned & run by even dumber imbeciles who were willing to pay him (and actually extend him ffs). 
  • They didn't need to keep one while firing the other (Bowles). The problem was Chris Johnson didn't know what the hell he was doing, admitted as much, so because he didn't deem himself qualified enough to hire a GM, he let Maccagnan keep his job and hire Gase.
  • No sane HC was coming to work here for Mike Maccagnan (Mr. "Arranged Marriage" GM). Not because it was the Jets. Honestly at the time there was at least some draw to the Jets because there was still plenty of hype around Darnold, they had plenty of cap room, and the #3 pick in the draft. It wasn't so unattractive a situation as it's made out to be in hindsight. 
  • I'm sympathetic to the shot in the dark on Kalil, given the options at the time, but also Kalil made $6.7MM not $9MM. The orig contract was worth up to $8.4MM but $3MM of that was tied to per-game bonuses for being on the active roster. As he was not active for the last 9 games, he didn't get bonuses for those games. 
  • Getting rid of Adams and Anderson has exactly zero to do with the Johnsons. Absolutely zero. I'm no fans of theirs, but there's never been a hint of so much as a single, unverified leak in 20+ years that they've ever told a GM to not spend on or extend a player. Conversely, every GM and ex-GM has said precisely the opposite. More commonly, plenty of GMs are eager to show their worth by proving they can improve the team without just blowing out spending in FA that they'd soon regret. The Jets have had GMs that blew out spending and also ones that were more frugal. There's no there there. 
  • This was an "attractive spot" for Saleh because all HC positions are attractive slots, unless a long-proven horrible GM makes it so, and that GM isn't going anywhere. After 2020, the team had plenty of flexibility to reshape the roster in line with the new HC's image and desire, including a choice of keeping or replacing its QB. If you have that you can get the best HC candidates to coach your team regardless of ancient history.

I have different praises & criticisms of Douglas than you, but that's perfectly fine. I've been wrong before myself once. :) 

There are things he's done (or not done) that I thought were outright boneheaded, even before the benefit of hindsight. But on balance I like the job he's done, particularly in terms of trades where he's already the best this franchise has ever had.

Jury's out on the outcomes with those picks, and I see no pressure to jump on that bandwagon early. I'm optimistic for the long-term future, and for a lifelong Jets fan that's good enough for me for now (and more than I've usually got right before week 1). Another year or two of being asked to look ahead for another long-term fix from Douglas & company and - like many/most here I'm sure - I'm not going to be so understanding.

But right now? He's picked up a lot of picks he hasn't used yet, and most of those he's used haven't even seen the field yet. Most of all, he's got a rookie QB starting for a rookie HC and first-time OC and near first-time DC (Ulbrich was just an interim DC for half a season), as well as the loss of Knapp. All that together appropriately buys any GM & HC some mulligan losses this year.

As long as Wilson looks like the real deal, the rest of the rebuild into a serious contender year after year gets a whole lot easier, and I'm then not so concerned if we win closer to 6 or 10 games this year, though more would be better. If you read all this, I owe you a coke. 

"A" coke or "some" coke?

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

scale;

My son saw a commercial for something called a Grilled Cheese Burger and is begging me to take him.  I've never been to a Sonic, but it's apparently a grilled cheese sandwich with a burger in it.  Could be cool.  Or maybe its just a Friendly's Big Beef Cheeseburger knockoff?

SAR I

Probably both.

I had a buddy in college who was a manager at one. We’d go there and pig out for free. Better than dorm food. Not really good.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree with your overall sentiment, but disagree with a lot of the details.

• Maccagnan was never the right GM for this or any team at any time in the history of the earth. He was about to get fired from Houston just as their lead scout, so naturally the Jets promoted him to GM. The man was an imbecile. The Jets just happened to be owned & run by even dumber imbeciles who were willing to pay him (and actually extend him ffs). 
  • They didn't need to keep one while firing the other (Bowles). The problem was Chris Johnson didn't know what the hell he was doing, admitted as much, so because he didn't deem himself qualified enough to hire a GM, he let Maccagnan keep his job and hire Gase.
  • No sane HC was coming to work here for Mike Maccagnan (Mr. "Arranged Marriage" GM). Not because it was the Jets. Honestly at the time there was at least some draw to the Jets because there was still plenty of hype around Darnold, they had plenty of cap room, and the #3 pick in the draft. It wasn't so unattractive a situation as it's made out to be in hindsight. 
  • I'm sympathetic to the shot in the dark on Kalil, given the options at the time, but also Kalil made $6.7MM not $9MM. The orig contract was worth up to $8.4MM but $3MM of that was tied to per-game bonuses for being on the active roster. As he was not active for the last 9 games, he didn't get bonuses for those games. 
  • Getting rid of Adams and Anderson has exactly zero to do with the Johnsons. Absolutely zero. I'm no fans of theirs, but there's never been a hint of so much as a single, unverified leak in 20+ years that they've ever told a GM to not spend on or extend a player. Conversely, every GM and ex-GM has said precisely the opposite. More commonly, plenty of GMs are eager to show their worth by proving they can improve the team without just blowing out spending in FA that they'd soon regret. The Jets have had GMs that blew out spending and also ones that were more frugal. There's no there there. 
  • This was an "attractive spot" for Saleh because all HC positions are attractive slots, unless a long-proven horrible GM makes it so, and that GM isn't going anywhere. After 2020, the team had plenty of flexibility to reshape the roster in line with the new HC's image and desire, including a choice of keeping or replacing its QB. If you have that you can get the best HC candidates to coach your team regardless of ancient history.

I have different praises & criticisms of Douglas than you, but that's perfectly fine. I've been wrong before myself once. :) 

There are things he's done (or not done) that I thought were outright boneheaded, even before the benefit of hindsight. But on balance I like the job he's done, particularly in terms of trades where he's already the best this franchise has ever had.

Jury's out on the outcomes with those picks, and I see no pressure to jump on that bandwagon early. I'm optimistic for the long-term future, and for a lifelong Jets fan that's good enough for me for now (and more than I've usually got right before week 1). Another year or two of being asked to look ahead for another long-term fix from Douglas & company and - like many/most here I'm sure - I'm not going to be so understanding.

But right now? He's picked up a lot of picks he hasn't used yet, and most of those he's used haven't even seen the field yet. Most of all, he's got a rookie QB starting for a rookie HC and first-time OC and near first-time DC (Ulbrich was just an interim DC for half a season), as well as the loss of Knapp. All that together appropriately buys any GM & HC some mulligan losses this year.

As long as Wilson looks like the real deal, the rest of the rebuild into a serious contender year after year gets a whole lot easier, and I'm then not so concerned if we win closer to 6 or 10 games this year, though more would be better. If you read all this, I owe you a coke. 

excellent points.  i don't know that the gm of any team ever got such scrutiny as douglas has gotten so far.  mac sure didn't get it.  maybe it's because of fan sites like jetsnation where there are quite a few posters that know a thing or two.  sure there are things that people aren't going to like about douglas but lets see how this team comes together this season and over the next couple before calling for his head.  right now there's quite a honeymoon going on for saleh, lefleur and ulbrich.  are they showing good things?  are they getting the most out of the players?  we'll start finding out in 9 days.  can't wait.

• Upvote 2

For me, it is much more exciting to have a young team with hope, rather than an older team with no hope. And that is where the Jets, and the builder of this roster are today. 

The Jets are the youngest and least experienced team in the NFL. As compared to recent Jet years rankings by age 2020 (18), 2019 (30), 2018 (19), it is refreshing. 

Now, does age necessarily reflect that they will be good? Of course not. But, the NFL has taught us that being old and bad at the same time, equate to a miserable future. And that is what @SAR I is touting when he tries to explain that Macc had built this roster for success. Far from it, and it was a toxic mix (age + bad players) that are hard to recover from.

It is not easy to start from scratch. But that is what JD ghad. Let's see what it bakes into. Rather than idiotic knee-jerk reactions from fans(?) that claim we were almost there.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

How many drafts and FA periods do we give someone with a low hit-rate?  Especially if Wilson is the real deal, we can't afford a GM who whiffs like this.

SAR I

i agree. but lets give the draft classes at least 2 years each before we call them whiffs. 6 out of 9, 2020 picks are on this team. 

now FA we can judge and 2020 was bad. 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

That is the expectation.  If the Jets deliver the expected 8 wins, we know we're in good shape with Joe Douglas.  If they come up short, nope.  

Thats as loony as seeing 7 wins and thinking the HC did a great job.  

6 hours ago, Larz said:

WTF did you expected? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Larz said:

He checked but TJ Watt wasn’t available

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

This.

Douglas won't pay for premium players,

Douglas can't find gold in Rounds 3-7.

Douglas can't find gold in the undrafted/discarded pile.

So what do we have here?  A guy who can nail 1st rounders?  There are some JN posters who can do that in their sleep, my son's been playing Madden for 15 years, give him a go.

SAR I

Perhaps you should pick his brain before posting.

6 hours ago, Larz said:

Was there ANY scenario where the Jets compete for a division title and get deep into the playoffs? What moves could have JD made that wouldn't have put the team into cap hell in two years, or cost the team a high draft pick?

What the hell was JD supposed to do after coach Knapp was killed? What exactly could JD have done? I feel silly even responding to this point. 

A year of development with Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Denzel Mims, an upgraded OL, and upgraded running backs isn't a wasted year because of the TE situation. There is not a lot of talent at TE, but they are serviceable. If Zach Wilson learns the offense, and gets the kinks out in year one, it would be an astounding success. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

That is the expectation.  If the Jets deliver the expected 8 wins, we know we're in good shape with Joe Douglas.  If they come up short, nope.  How many drafts and FA periods do we give someone with a low hit-rate?  Especially if Wilson is the real deal, we can't afford a GM who whiffs like this.

SAR I

I give a guy who is rebuilding a team decimated by the previous GM about four years of drafts and free agency periods before looking to move on from him. I'll let you know if he whiffed on 2020 in about a year, and 2021 in two years. He had a few stinkers in 2020, but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater because of a draft that hasn't even been determined to be as bad as it's made out to be.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I give a guy who is rebuilding a team decimated by the previous GM about four years of drafts and free agency periods before looking to move on from him. I'll let you know if he whiffed on 2020 in about a year, and 2021 in two years. He had a few stinkers in 2020, but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater because of a draft that hasn't even been determined to be as bad as it's made out to be.  

I have no problem in committing to a long-term vision that includes 4, 6, 8, or 10 years of the same GM/HC duo.  None.  The Jets have asked me to do that, what, 5 times?  6 times?  And I've fallen in line each time.

But....

We didn't pick up some experienced GM.  We didn't hire Jason Licht or Mickey Loomis.  We hired a rookie, and one from a not-great organization who was considered raw, and hired prematurely by an organization that can't attract top talent and had limited options.

We've done the "lock in and commit to the young raw GM prospect" before and that got us into this mess.  So when you see the early signs that things aren't going well you have to take that into account and ask yourself if this is the right guy.

It's not about the philosophy.  It's about the person.  To date, Joe Douglas is a great negotiator and has done a great job in accumulating assets.  But he's lacking where it matters most-  picking players.  That's a red flag.  A big one.  Let's see how this season goes.  If he nailed this draft and the 2020's start to improve, awesome, we can relax.  But as of this moment, no sir.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I am not counting his first year where he was handed a team that had just finished free agency and the draft. This is year one of him having a coach that he hand selected

Joe Douglas took this job because he thought Sam Darnold was a generational quarterback and we had a strong 2019 draft and free agency period.  He didn't pick those players but he came here because of them.  That's the same thing.

And he also thought Adam Gase was a great head coach.  And then he blew the K position.  And then he signed and expensive bum bust C.  And then he traded a Pro Bowl defender to the New York Giants.

Joe Douglas was all-in on the 2019 Jets when he joined.  Or he wouldn't have come here.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Joe Douglas took this job because he thought Sam Darnold was a generational quarterback and we had a strong 2019 draft and free agency period.  He didn't pick those players but he came here because of them.  That's the same thing.

And he also thought Adam Gase was a great head coach.  And then he blew the K position.  And then he signed and expensive bum bust C.  And then he traded a Pro Bowl defender to the New York Giants.

Joe Douglas was all-in on the 2019 Jets when he joined.  Or he wouldn't have come here.

SAR I

Crack, the new breakfast treat

• Haha 4

On 9/4/2021 at 9:52 AM, SAR I said:

Joe Douglas took this job because he thought Sam Darnold was a generational quarterback and we had a strong 2019 draft and free agency period.

I don't care if JD took the job because he thought Thomas Hennessy was a generational log snapper. 

And he also thought Adam Gase was a great head coach. 

I would think that Adam Gase was a good head coach if he got me hired as the GM.

And then he blew the K position. 

He absolutely did, and I haven't heard anyone defending his failure to secure a kicker.

And then he traded a Pro Bowl defender to the New York Giants.

An another amazing trade by JD. Paying an above average fat defensive tackle moments after drafting another fat defensive tackle was not a good plan for long term success. 

His six year contract demand is a good indication that his expectations for 2019 were tempered. 

• Upvote 2

SAR I

Funny. I would think he took this job as there are only 32 in the whole league with not enough opportunities every year. I would think that going to a team that plays in one of the biggest football markets with an owner that tends not to meddle (compared to Dallas and Washington for example) makes the job more attractive. I am sure the 6 year deal didn't hurt either. 

Look how it turned out for him; he got to fire a bad coach who reported to owner and replace him with a young talent that reports to him; he got to pick his own QB at #2 and he still gets another 4 drafts (in theory) to prove he is the right guy. People take the GM job because it is at the top of their profession and opportunities do not come around that often.