***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Holtz_Lou_Jets.jpg

Did you know that the record for fewest wins by a rookie head coach in team history is 3 and it's held by a guy who didn't even last the entire year?

Thinking you're going to want to start a thread on this around, say, Week 16.

SAR I

For me, it will be whether the players have their “game faces” on at the end of the year. I will have to rely on your expertise for that brilliant analysis. 

41 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

So, just to make sure I understand, if you're Jimmy Haslam, you fire Andrew Berry for blowing two drafts spectacularly?

Did he?  They're a playoff team and a borderline Super Bowl contender.  Must be doing something right.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't recall him interviewing with anyone else.

Gase wasn't the long term answer for this team.  But short term, in a rebuild, with a broken roster?  He was perfect. 

Have you ever been a professional athlete?  Do you know how hard it is to be 1-7, the laughingstock of the league, no chance to be successful?  Your best players injured or recovering?  And then go and win 6 of your last 8 games?  That's impressive no matter how many Illuminati want to sweep it under the rug.  We'd throw a parade for Saleh if he ripped a 6-2 run, right?  

SAR I

Charlie Winner won the last 6 games in a row in 1974 to take a 1-7  Jets team to 7-7.  It was a great run and the Jets beat some great teams, including the reigning SB champ and playoff bound Dolphins and the playoff bound Bills.  What did it mean? Nothing.  The Jets went 3-11 in 75 and Winner showed he was a loser.  Walt Michaels, who in my opinion was the 2nd best coach in Jets history, took over in 77 and went 3-11, 8-8, 8-8, and 3-11 before he built a SB contending team in 81 and 82.   Bill Walsh  (2-14) and Bill Parcells (3-12-1) struggled in their first seasons as head coaches.  So did Jimmy Johnson (1-15).  I can find more if you want.  The bottom line is that 1) the 7-9 record in 2019 was a mirage and Gase was an awful coach and 2) the Jets don't know what they have in Saleh now and won't know for another season and a half.  

Lastly, I never heard of a new coach not being hired as a long term answer. There is no such thing as a short term rebuilding coach. That concept is a joke.   You hire a coach to rebuild over the long run. Gase was not a good coach for the short or long term.  The only time a coach is good for the short term is a situation with an aging team that it taking one last run.  Not a new hire on a bad team.  Never. Ever.  

You just keep repeating the same BS - 7-9 and 7-9 and 7-9 .  It is nonsense.   You want to fire Saleh for a 1-4 start.   Also nonsense.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Did he?  They're a playoff team and a borderline Super Bowl contender.  Must be doing something right.

SAR I

2 drafts, no starters, 10% hit rate on FA's - with your plan, he's fired at the end of the season. 

brilliant

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Lastly, I never heard of a new coach not being hired as a long term answer. There is no such thing as a short term rebuilding coach. That concept is a joke.

It wasn't the intention when we signed him, but last January we had a choice:

Stick with the guy already under contract who got a lot out of a broken roster and fire him a year or two down the road when we're not broken or bring in a brand new rookie from a successful program who knows no adversity and throw him into the pit of doom.

Methinks we should have gone with the former.  And kept Darnold too.  Run that puppy into the ground.  Then when the lines are built and the DB's are solid and the pass rush is showing signs of life, get Gase and Darnold out of here and then bring in the new two.  But not a running back.  Whatever we do, never never never bring in a blue chip running back.

SAR I

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

2 drafts, no starters, 10% hit rate on FA's - with your plan, he's fired at the end of the season. 

brilliant

I don't know much about him so I used that Google thing and it brought up a whole bunch of articles just bathing him in glory.

You sure you got the right guy?

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It wasn't the intention when we signed him, but last January we had a choice:

Stick with the guy already under contract who got a lot out of a broken roster and fire him a year or two down the road when we're not broken or bring in a brand new rookie from a successful program who knows no adversity and throw him into the pit of doom.

Methinks we should have gone with the former.  And kept Darnold too.  Run that puppy into the ground.  Then when the lines are built and the DB's are solid and the pass rush is showing signs of life, get Gase and Darnold out of here and then bring in the new two.  But not a running back.  Whatever we do, never never never bring in a blue chip running back.

SAR I

I’m seriously asking this. How do teams mostly get their blue chip running backs? 

if it’s drafting them in the first two rounds, I think that’s a next year kind of thing. Draft more o line and a “blue chip” running back and pray you get a Henry ir McCaffrey. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I see Kevin is taking my “go outside” comment to heart.

Thats good.  Maybe he’ll listen to my advice.  Vitamin D is a huge help in The immune system’s fight against COVID and other viruses.

For sure. I take Natures Made D³ 1000 IU/25 mcg daily in addition to a multi-vitamin with 1600 IU/40 mcg. Vitamin D³ is also great natural testosterone booster for men. Adds fuel to the fire. And by the way she'll like it too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wit said:

I’m seriously asking this. How do teams mostly get their blue chip running backs? 

By drafting them in the first couple of rounds before all the elite ones are taken.

The the last time the Jets took a running back in the 1st round was 1990, the 2nd round 2001.

SAR I

51 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

For sure. I take Natures Made D³ 1000 IU/25 mcg daily in addition to a multi-vitamin with 1600 IU/40 mcg. Vitamin D³ is also great natural testosterone booster for men. Adds fuel to the fire. And by the way she'll like it too.

I take the same stuff, although I havent seen a boost in testosterone since I'm roided out daily anyways. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

By drafting them in the first couple of rounds before all the elite ones are taken.

The the last time the Jets took a running back in the 1st round was 1990, the 2nd round 2001.

SAR I

You truly are a dinosaur.  Advocating drafting a RB in the first round? That's the ticket!

Here's a list of first round RBs since 2009

• Najee Harris - Pitt 
  • Travis Etienne - Jac
  • Clyde Edwards-Helaire - KC
  • Josh Jacobs-LV
  • Saquon Barkley - NYG
  • Rashaad Penny - Sea
  • Sony Michel - NE
  • Leonard Fournette - Jac
  • Christian McCaffrey - Car
  •  Zeke Elliott - Dal
  • Todd Gurley - LAR
  • Melvin Gordon - LAC
  • Trent Richardson - Indy
  • Doug Martin - TB
  • David Wilson - NYG
  • Mark Ingram - NO
  • CJ Spiller - Buf
  • Ryan Mathews - SD/LAC
  • Javon Best - Det
  • Donald Brown - Ind
  • Beenie Wells - Ari

Most were busts or back ups or injury prone  or journeymen. There are a handful of hits, but very very few.  It's not 1975 SAR.  First round RBs are a thing of the past.  I think there's two SB winners on this list (Michel and Fournette). Both played with Brady to win the ring. One won with a team that didn't draft him and neither was the key to the team winning the SB.

So we see how you would build a team.  Hire your dream coach - Gase. Draft a RB like Trent Richardson or Leonard Fournette with a top 5 pick.  That's a great start

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

From a resource allocation point of view, drafting a running back in the first round is probably the dumbest thing a modern NFL GM can do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

From a resource allocation point of view, drafting a running back in the first round is probably the dumbest thing a modern NFL GM can do. 

I understand the strategy.  We need a running back.  It's been 10 years of scrubs.  Third and fourth rounds aren't working.

SAR I

53 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You truly are a dinosaur.  Advocating drafting a RB in the first round? That's the ticket!

Here's a list of first round RBs since 2009

• Najee Harris - Pitt 
  • Travis Etienne - Jac
  • Clyde Edwards-Helaire - KC
  • Josh Jacobs-LV
  • Saquon Barkley - NYG
  • Rashaad Penny - Sea
  • Sony Michel - NE
  • Leonard Fournette - Jac
  • Christian McCaffrey - Car
  •  Zeke Elliott - Dal
  • Todd Gurley - LAR
  • Melvin Gordon - LAC
  • Trent Richardson - Indy
  • Doug Martin - TB
  • David Wilson - NYG
  • Mark Ingram - NO
  • CJ Spiller - Buf
  • Ryan Mathews - SD/LAC
  • Javon Best - Det
  • Donald Brown - Ind
  • Beenie Wells - Ari

Most were busts or back ups or injury prone  or journeymen. There are a handful of hits, but very very few.  It's not 1975 SAR.  First round RBs are a thing of the past.  I think there's two SB winners on this list (Michel and Fournette). Both played with Brady to win the ring. One won with a team that didn't draft him and neither was the key to the team winning the SB.

So we see how you would build a team.  Hire your dream coach - Gase. Draft a RB like Trent Richardson or Leonard Fournette with a top 5 pick.  That's a great start

I count 9 out of 21 that were either elite or Top 10 quality.

That's a better hit rate than 1st round quarterbacks.

It's certainly a better hit rate than anything any Jets GM has accomplished in decades.

We need a bonafide, dependable, star running back.  It's never a priority in the draft.  It's time.  When we were good, we could run the ball.  We suck in large part because we can't.

SAR I

I was not aware that this thread has gotten this nasty. You people are out of your minds. Especially when you consider the fact that Joe Douglas is currently on a trajectory to get himself fired in two years. Most GMs are on a similar trajectory. They all get fired eventually. 

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I understand the strategy.  We need a running back.  It's been 10 years of scrubs.  Third and fourth rounds aren't working.

SAR I

This isn't a good argument. The solution is to draft better running backs in the mid-rounds (in fact, we can extend this statement to every other position while we are at it)

Also, what you wrote isn't even true. The running backs were good enough in 2015-2016. I believe Chris Ivory was a pro-bowler in 2015. Btw, Chris Ivory was an undrafted free agent. 

You don't need a star at running back. The smart organizations find their RBs in the mid to late rounds of the draft. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I count 9 out of 21 that were either elite or Top 10 quality.

That's a better hit rate than 1st round quarterbacks.

It's certainly a better hit rate than anything any Jets GM has accomplished in decades.

We need a bonafide, dependable, star running back.  It's never a priority in the draft.  It's time.  When we were good, we could run the ball.  We suck in large part because we can't.

SAR I

9?????? Your standards are low.  Tell us these 9 elite backs please.  I count 4 that were arguably worth a #1 pick.  Gordon (borderline),  Gurley (career like a comet - short shelf life) , Elliott and McCaffrey (he now can't stay healthy either, so he only performed for two seasons)  Harris is too early to tell and Barkley can't stay on the field.  A player who is successful with another team - Fournette - doesn't count.  

• Upvote 1